Can't Really Believe I'm Posting Today

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Bear Down Vegas

Can't Really Believe I'm Posting Today

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

But I am for one reason.

There was a really cool thread going for the last few days between us all about our memories and times living (too often) with this basketball team. And maybe it's because I've gone through a divorce, or maybe it's because I've been re-watching old games, or maybe it's because I'm finally at just past forty years old realizing some things...

But we have so many games in the last 30 years of my fandom we shouldn't have won. And SO MANY games, we shouldn't have lost. And every fucking year we have to go through this day - except for '97...which was magical.

I get picking apart Miller, Trier, Dusan, the PG issues, the way the team was built, all of it.

But F that. I'm just sad I have to wait until November. Period. Live & die with this team. Every year. Bear Down.

Cheers.
PHXCATS

Re: Can't Really Believe I'm Posting Today

Post by PHXCATS »

Cheers man. Best wishes.

But this Baseball and Softball team can do some damage this year. And Football should be better. But until November...
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Bear down BDV, I'm sad it's over too.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Truth.

Great op and thread. And that's what the sadness today is really all about.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I'd rather have my season end like this than be a schlub team just hoping to dance.

We do have a proud tradition and these games, seasons are fun and special, even if they end in heartbreak more often than not.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Last night I went to bed and one of my last thoughts was, "Well, I guess I won't be posting on the boards for a while."

But here I am.

Because I need you guys. I need the hot takes. I need the "Miller sucks" sentiment. I need the "we've all been there before and it will get better" thoughts. I need the "why the fuck didn't Lauri touch the ball" anger. I need this community like I need air.

A few weeks ago I swore off this website for a totally different reason and someone told me the only person I was punishing was myself. Felt the same way this morning. I have to be a part of a community who can in the course of a day put together 100+ 3 paragraph posts of the pain and anger they've felt in the past riding and dying with this basketball team. That's why I couldn't quit then and I am right here right now.

Bear Down Forever
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Bear Down Vegas

Chicat wrote:Last night I went to bed and one of my last thoughts was, "Well, I guess I won't be posting on the boards for a while."

But here I am.

Because I need you guys. I need the hot takes. I need the "Miller sucks" sentiment. I need the "we've all been there before and it will get better" thoughts. I need the "why the fuck didn't Lauri touch the ball" anger. I need this community like I need air.

A few weeks ago I swore off this website for a totally different reason and someone told me the only person I was punishing was myself. Felt the same way this morning. I have to be a part of a community who can in the course of a day put together 100+ 3 paragraph posts of the pain and anger they've felt in the past riding and dying with this basketball team. That's why I couldn't quit then and I am right here right now.

Bear Down Forever
Preach Chi.

Foreverever??
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Forever and ever and ever BDV.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
prh

Post by prh »

That's exactly where I was Chi. Planning on how to make it to April 4 without seeing/hearing anything sports related. Somehow I'm back this morning too.

Bear Down fellas. Sucks right now, but we have much to be thankful for.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Like always Lute said at the end, everybody wants to keep on winning, so every team but one goes out with disappointment.

Basketball seasons are like pets. They bring joy and memories throughout, but right from the start, you're condemning yourself to a small tragedy.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote:Last night I went to bed and one of my last thoughts was, "Well, I guess I won't be posting on the boards for a while."

But here I am.
you're not going anywhere -- we need you, we all need each other.

and as my 7 year old son said perfectly to me last night, "its just a game, daddy"
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Longhorned wrote:Like always Lute said at the end, everybody wants to keep on winning, so every team but one goes out with disappointment.
There's four teams that are happy at the end of the season. 1 really happy because they won the whole thing. One happy but sad because they're the runner up.

We would've been bummed with a Final four loss but not disappointed. This is disappointment.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

97cats wrote:you're not going anywhere -- we need you, we all need each other.

and as my 7 year old son said perfectly to me last night, "its just a game, daddy"
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

But here I am.

Bear Down Forever

I said the same thing to myself last night. I didn't open these boards last night because I knew it would be a shitshow here and I figured it would be a while before I came back... I drank my coffee this morning while reading every thread...
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

97cats wrote:

But here I am.

As soon as the game ended, my 10-month old baby girl started crying inconsolably from her crib in the nursery upstairs. I've never seen anything like it. It took two hours to calm her down, and today she's visibly depressed. Must be some kind of connection.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote:

But here I am.

That kid is wise beyond his years.

My 7-year-old said, "So what do we do now, Daddy?" All I could do was hug him and tell him that now we wait until next year.
Luuuuuuuute

Post by Luuuuuuuute »

But here I am.
I'm with you Chicat, this place is great therapy for me. I can vent to people who understand, and read some complete drivel that makes me realize, "Whoa I'm not THAT bad."
97cats wrote:you're not going anywhere -- we need you, we all need each other.

My 7 year old went to bed at halftime. I told him he'd know the result right when he woke up, because if we won I'd put one of his Wildcats jerseys on his dresser to wear today. He was eating breakfast when I woke up, and he just broke down crying and said, "I don't even wanna talk about it." Then it got worse when he asked, "Is it OK if they lose just one game?" (as in, "They still have more to play, right?") THAT was heartbreaking.

I told him it's OK to cry because it shows he cares a lot. This was the first season he was interested enough to watch games with me. I have Final Four tickets and was already deliberating whether I'd buy my friend's extra 2 tickets if we made it that far to share those games with my 2 boys and my Dad. And it all came crashing down so quickly, like a giant kick to the gut.

And I know I'm not the only one who feels that way. And that's why we're all here... because we love this university and this team, and we celebrate the wins together and commiserate when we lose. Thanks for the therapy everyone.

BEAR DOWN!
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Haha good/touching kid stories Luuute and others. I have a 1.5 year old son so he doesn't understand quite yet but I can't wait to share AZ hoops with my son like all of you have with yours.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

97cats wrote:

But here I am.

For the 2nd time after a UofA loss I had to console someone who was crying. This time it wasn't an annoying "friend" / pseudo fan... it was my 9 year old son.

This time I was much more willing to be the consoler and I felt it way more gratifying. He was still pretty sad this morning but we actually had a great conversation about fandom.

We're sad, but we've still got hope for next year, and the next...
Bear Down Vegas

[/quote] My 7 year old went to bed at halftime. I told him he'd know the result right when he woke up, because if we won I'd put one of his Wildcats jerseys on his dresser to wear today. He was eating breakfast when I woke up, and he just broke down crying and said, "I don't even wanna talk about it." Then it got worse when he asked, "Is it OK if they lose just one game?" (as in, "They still have more to play, right?") [/quote]

This is what I'm talking about, right here. And LH's analogy is perfect too...

And the cathartic nature we give to each other too...

I wouldn't trade it. Any of it. With any team.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

This is home, I wouldn't get through my days sane without this community. Beardown Wildcts so glad we all started this site together and stuck together even after goazcats was taken over by Mao. Such a great community to be apart of to laugh, vent, debate, argue, and sometimes act like a complete fool but we all still love Arizona Wildcat Basketball.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

I could not think of a better group to commiserate with. Cheers guys! To next season!

Beardown everyone!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Like always Lute said at the end, everybody wants to keep on winning, so every team but one goes out with disappointment.
There's four teams that are happy at the end of the season. 1 really happy because they won the whole thing. One happy but sad because they're the runner up.

We would've been bummed with a Final four loss but not disappointed. This is disappointment.
It hurts, but being an Arizona basketball fan is being in the 1%. We have a great coach, we will move from this disappointment into a pre-season top 10 ranking, we will watch Lauri get drafted top 10, we will have the best fan base in the West and we'll be back trying to erase the disappointment.

UCLA is the only other west coast program that could possibly be in a place to see this season as a disappointment. Oregon is still new to this and that's it. This disappointment would be ASU's historically great season.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Alieberman wrote:
97cats wrote:

But here I am.

For the 2nd time after a UofA loss I had to console someone who was crying. This time it wasn't an annoying "friend" / pseudo fan... it was my 9 year old son.

This time I was much more willing to be the consoler and I felt it way more gratifying. He was still pretty sad this morning but we actually had a great conversation about fandom.

We're sad, but we've still got hope for next year, and the next...
I snapped out of my funk real quick when my 2.5 daughter was on the phone crying "daddy the wildcats lost"

She was not crying but said the same to me the minute I can in the door this am (holding the house flag that I had to take down. We had a similar conversation in 2yo land and it was cool. Then she went to play with her peppa pig toys.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I have to write a bio for my new job. I want to talk about my love for our university but so far everything I've written sounds unhinged and stalkerish.
Two Bits

Post by Two Bits »

Thanks for the support, fellas. I needed to read the forum today.