2017-2018 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

EOCT

Re: 2017-2018 Arizona Basketball

Post by EOCT »

95/85 ASU.

Sweet backcourt. And Remy Martin is a flat out killer. Love that guy and his game. Don't you like the the name, too? I heard his initials aren't actually RM, but rather VSOP.

Like the Shimm says above, anyone a little concerned about their small team just a little?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Kansas has minimal depth and nothing in the post beyond Doke. They played great offense at times and garbage defense. Back to back home losses to UW and ASU. Maybe they’re not that good right now.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The scum are good. It Will us and them this year. The PAC tourney will be very fun as their fans come out of the woodwork like the cockroaches they are.

Hurleys philosophy of run and gun should make recruiting to that dump much easier. Question will come when he gets a look at a next level school as to if he will stay
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

New Mexico is having a down year. The Pit should not be too imposing this coming Saturday even if the timekeeper suits up again.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Beating ASU will be sweeter than usual this year.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

I have a feeling we wipe the floor with those fuckers. We are progressing rapidly and are not just a better team but are better members of the human race. Plus Ayton is legitimately unstoppable.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

azcat49 wrote:The scum are good. It Will us and them this year. The PAC tourney will be very fun as their fans come out of the woodwork like the cockroaches they are.

Hurleys philosophy of run and gun should make recruiting to that dump much easier. Question will come when he gets a look at a next level school as to if he will stay
I think Hurley will be in line to take over Coach K if he keeps this up. He has that annoying jerk type personality that is easy to hate.
Last edited by Catintheheat on Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Catintheheat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:The scum are good. It Will us and them this year. The PAC tourney will be very fun as their fans come out of the woodwork like the cockroaches they are.

I think Hurley will be in line to take over Coach K if you keeps this up. He has that annoying jerk type personality that is easy to hate.
Let’s not get crazy. You’re talking about arguably the most prestigious program in all of college sports. Hurley hasn’t done a damn thing yet.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Catintheheat wrote:

I think Hurley will be in line to take over Coach K if you keeps this up. He has that annoying jerk type personality that is easy to hate.
Let’s not get crazy. You’re talking about arguably the most prestigious program in all of college sports. Hurley hasn’t done a damn thing yet.
Duke is one of 4 teams that are the most prestigious in college basketball (Duke, UK, KU, UNC). The most prestigious program in all of college sports is Stanford. Also Hurley was a Duke player, or in house. But, like I said, he will have to keep this up. Next year will be more of an indicator when he loses the seniors on this team.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Arizona State

Kenpom 36. Adj O 5, Adj D 154
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

rgdeuce wrote:Arizona State

The disparity between offense and defense is looking like UCLA last year
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

RondaeShimmy wrote:

From memory, UCLA's was hovering in that 110-120 range this time last year, I believe. Gives some perspective about how bad they are defensively.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:

From memory, UCLA's was hovering in that 110-120 range this time last year, I believe. Gives some perspective about how bad they are defensively.
ASU has surprised so far. It's been a very topsy turvy season, though, and those discrepancies don't usually work in the long term.

Which is why I think we need to get our AdjD moving up from the 50's, as well. The upside is that you sort of assume that we have a better ceiling than ASU because we haven't had Rawle and the freshmen should show improvement.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

What you think of Arizona's defense?

I watched the Alabama game with my eyes trained mostly on Ayton and Ristic. Despite Lauri last year, it's still weird to watch a 7'-1" player defending so much out along the perimeter. While Ristic was out, Ayton could have been more aggressive in defending the paint.

But I still got the overall impression that team defense shows vast improvement, with good positioning with respect to the ball and one's man off the ball, and good discipline on rotations and switch-ups. It seemed like the strategy was to let Sexton get his but to deny his kick outs to open teammates on the perimeter, though that emphasis changed in the last two minutes after Arizona retook the lead.

The result was that Arizona controlled the game through their defense. The score at any juncture makes it hard to see that Arizona controlled the game, but that's mostly because of the disparity at the free throw line. Arizona threw away so much at the line, and Alabama was uncharacteristically amazing at the line.

I'll be looking for a steady uptick on the adjusted defensives efficiency rating week by week.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:What you think of Arizona's defense?

I watched the Alabama game with my eyes trained mostly on Ayton and Ristic. Despite Lauri last year, it's still weird to watch a 7'-1" player defending so much out along the perimeter. While Ristic was out, Ayton could have been more aggressive in defending the paint.

But I still got the overall impression that team defense shows vast improvement, with good positioning with respect to the ball and one's man off the ball, and good discipline on rotations and switch-ups. It seemed like the strategy was to let Sexton get his but to deny his kick outs to open teammates on the perimeter, though that emphasis changed in the last two minutes after Arizona retook the lead.

The result was that Arizona controlled the game through their defense. The score at any juncture makes it hard to see that Arizona controlled the game, but that's mostly because of the disparity at the free throw line. Arizona threw away so much at the line, and Alabama was uncharacteristically amazing at the line.

I'll be looking for a steady uptick on the adjusted defensives efficiency rating week by week.
My thoughts:

1. Miller seems to realize our defensive lineup is Lee/Ayton with no Ristic.
2. I'm a huge Sexton fan. He is hard to stop, and we did what we had to.
3. Rotations are a work in progress, but seem to be improving. It won't get better overnight, but the mistakes are declining.
4. Out of bounds plays still resulted in Dusan giving up an easy 2.
5. Rawle looked like his legs aren't there yet, but mentally he is an upgrade. When he has his legs and wind back, he will help.

Bottom line, still fits and starts, but we have made progress across the last few games. Making steady progress can have us where we want to be by year's end. There are real reasons for optimism out of Alabama. We saw as good a scorer as we'll see and won.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Agree with LH here the data suggests a much different outcome than what we saw, and at times it looked like more of a dog fight than I think it actually was...

That being said, it is VERY OBVIOUS that teams are going to throw their big at RISTIC in the paint, they will switch off until he and Ristic are paired up and then they will get him the ball, if Ayton helps it will open up a perimeter three...this is the new "zone" against us...Ristic is just to slow to defend ANYONE from the circle to the paint.

Give the ball to Ristics man and its an automatic score...this is where Pinder and Lee help mix it up, it will be trading a foul for an easy bucket...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CatFanOneMil wrote: That being said, it is VERY OBVIOUS that teams are going to throw their big at RISTIC in the paint
Seems that is the very first play called by the opposing teams. Bama worked it to perfection, easy 2 points, Alabama 2-0.

Speaking of which, how did Bama get possession on the tip off? How can Ayton at 7'1" with a 43" vertical ever lose the tip off?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

CatFanOneMil wrote:

Agree with LH here the data suggests a much different outcome than what we saw, and at times it looked like more of a dog fight than I think it actually was...

That being said, it is VERY OBVIOUS that teams are going to throw their big at RISTIC in the paint, they will switch off until he and Ristic are paired up and then they will get him the ball, if Ayton helps it will open up a perimeter three...this is the new "zone" against us...Ristic is just to slow to defend ANYONE from the circle to the paint.

Give the ball to Ristics man and its an automatic score...this is where Pinder and Lee help mix it up, it will be trading a foul for an easy bucket...
Sorry, but statistics do not back up this perception. Ristic’s DBPM is fifth on the team, above that of every rotation player except Pinder, Lee, and Ayton. His DRTG is fourth on the team, above that of everyone except Pinder and Ayton. So, perhaps we notice him lose on a few isolation plays over the course of the game, but the big problem with this team is that our backcourt cannot stop penetration. It’s a head scratcher.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Merkin wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote: That being said, it is VERY OBVIOUS that teams are going to throw their big at RISTIC in the paint
Seems that is the very first play called by the opposing teams. Bama worked it to perfection, easy 2 points, Alabama 2-0.

Speaking of which, how did Bama get possession on the tip off? How can Ayton at 7'1" with a 43" vertical ever lose the tip off?
Ayton has lost most tip offs this season. It's weird.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
Merkin wrote:

I wonder if he doesn't have a timing issue. Same thing with blocking shots. You think he'd be better due to insane length and athleticism, but he just seems to miss.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
Merkin wrote:

I wonder if he doesn't have a timing issue. Same thing with blocking shots. You think he'd be better due to insane length and athleticism, but he just seems to miss.
Only thing I can think of.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

A year playing volleyball would have helped Ayton with timing. Look how well it did for Buechler and Budinger.
Puerco wrote:but the big problem with this team is that our backcourt cannot stop penetration. It’s a head scratcher.
Sexton just absolutely destroyed PJC. Felt for sure he was going to go all Jimmer on the Cats. Nice switch by Miller to put Trier on him, and Trier took that assignment quite seriously and Sexton did seem a little gassed at the end.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Merkin wrote:A year playing volleyball would have helped Ayton with timing. Look how well it did for Buechler and Budinger.
Puerco wrote:but the big problem with this team is that our backcourt cannot stop penetration. It’s a head scratcher.
Sexton just absolutely destroyed PJC. Felt for sure he was going to go all Jimmer on the Cats. Nice switch by Miller to put Trier on him, and Trier took that assignment quite seriously and Sexton did seem a little gassed at the end.
I thought PJC played Sexton really well... moved his feet really well and was mostly able to stay in front of him. It's just that Sexton got so many opportunities to attack and got to the line a ton. Which wasn't on PJC, he only had two fouls in 37 minutes.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:A year playing volleyball would have helped Ayton with timing. Look how well it did for Buechler and Budinger.
Parker played hard. His physical limitations are always going to make it hard for him to be more than an adequate defender.

I've posted previously about how I think Sexton is a top 5 pick. He has a lot of skill and is a competitive SOB. Good news is that there aren't too many guys on his level. Parker just isn't really able to shut down a true big time point.

Having Rawle closer to full speed will help us be a little more flexible like we were with Trier taking Sexton later on.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spiff that was exactly my thoughts while watching him against Sexton - "great effort, way to stay in front of him, just sucks that Sexton has a 6'6" wingspan and can scoop it to the hoop over the little guy."

Thankfully PJC should match up perfectly with ASU's lead guard Shannon Evans, who at 160lbs may be smaller than Parker.

I don't know that we'll be able to play Dusan at all in that game, but I'm looking forward to throwing our collection of 6'5" wings (Trier, Alkins, Smith, Randolph) at their collection of 6'1" wings (Evans, Holder, Martin). Heck even Alex Barcello might be a solid play in this one, matching quickness with quickness.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Spiff that was exactly my thoughts while watching him against Sexton - "great effort, way to stay in front of him, just sucks that Sexton has a 6'6" wingspan and can scoop it to the hoop over the little guy."

Thankfully PJC should match up perfectly with ASU's lead guard Shannon Evans, who at 160lbs may be smaller than Parker.

I don't know that we'll be able to play Dusan at all in that game, but I'm looking forward to throwing our collection of 6'5" wings (Trier, Alkins, Smith, Randolph) at their collection of 6'1" wings (Evans, Holder, Martin). Heck even Alex Barcello might be a solid play in this one, matching quickness with quickness.
Having Rawle with 20 days and a few games under his belt should be big. If Randolph and Smith are ready (maybe even Akot?) we have a lot of flexibility and Rawle should hopefully be ready for starter minutes by then.

We match ASU so much better with Rawle back. We can go smaller with 2 all conference level guys and an evolving Randolph without breaking a sweat.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

PIC did better on Sexson than Trier did overall
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:PIC did better on Sexson than Trier did overall
Sexton killed whoever he was on. The refs were calling a lot of fouls, and Sexton took advantage by continually pressing the issue. Parker and Trier had issues for different reasons.

They kept in the game with threes and FT's. Take those away and we did fine. Of course, saying we take those away is easy. Actually taking them away...
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Spiff that was exactly my thoughts while watching him against Sexton - "great effort, way to stay in front of him, just sucks that Sexton has a 6'6" wingspan and can scoop it to the hoop over the little guy."

Having Rawle with 20 days and a few games under his belt should be big. If Randolph and Smith are ready (maybe even Akot?) we have a lot of flexibility and Rawle should hopefully be ready for starter minutes by then.

We match ASU so much better with Rawle back. We can go smaller with 2 all conference level guys and an evolving Randolph without breaking a sweat.
Great opportunity to play the Rawle small ball four with Ayton at the five line-up we've all been looking forward to.

SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

pretty sure kenpom is still using data from last year (as well as this year's data) at this point
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

If you want to see what ASU is about, check their Kansas win highlights.

Dribble penetration and either finishing at the rim or making you pay from deep.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

The refs called everything, especially in the 2nd half. Wasn't there over 60 ft's?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I thought after watching the A&M game that the defense was not as bad as what I had seen on TV, thought it had major breakdowns, but on the whole was performing pretty well. I felt against Bama it had improved a ton too. I think it was an anomaly, but the fouls have been pretty consistent throughout the year to that point.

Sure Ristic is a liability, but he's also a huge asset when on the block on offense. I think the rotations, hedges and swtiches have been more fluid and better run. I also think PJC has been better on the ball, and has gotten into passing lanes more than often.

I checked the metrics after the game. We are in the 50's currently in ADJ and the previous two years we sat at 29 both years.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

84Cat wrote:The refs called everything, especially in the 2nd half. Wasn't there over 60 ft's?
48 fouls and 63FT attempted
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:If you want to see what ASU is about, check their Kansas win highlights.

Dribble penetration and either finishing at the rim or making you pay from deep.
That should be right what the packline is designed for. Should be. This year we've struggled because we have been lacking in what should be out strength.
gumby

Post by gumby »

RondaeShimmy wrote:

That's the team I think of when watching them.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

He's going to destroy a lot of people. Quicksilver, like Lillard. Two of the three refs were from Final Four, and they called it tighter than Pac-12 refs. Helped Sexton (only 6-15 from the field) and Trier.

If we don't miss 13 FTs, would've been a pretty comfortable W.
Pop McKale

Post by Pop McKale »

But did he really destroy us? Never felt like he dominated the game even though he was at the FT line all night long. I suppose that's worth something, but the guards were doing better and certainly trying harder than I've seen them all year to limit the penetration. Was there the other night and thought PJC and Allonzo did admirable jobs on Sexton. I think the switch to Allonzo for most of the 2nd half bothered him more, but whatever.

There will be games when playing Dusan more will make sense, but when we had those brief moments of Parker, Allonzo, Brandon, Rawle and DeAndre on the floor, my buddy and I were looking at each other like "Yep, this is how we need to roll." I don't think we can rely on PJC to give us 37 minutes on a consistent basis. Don't like putting Trier at the 1at all, so I'm hoping Alex can step it up more in the next few weeks -- 10+ steady minutes from him would be a huge plus.

My dad and I talk about Dusan becoming like the Bill Cartwright of the 1990-91 Bulls (cue the Alan Parsons Project..."The Man...In The Middle..."). Started every game, got fed early and often and usually was good for a couple early ones inside at the beginning of each half, then vanished for the majority of the rest of the game if it stayed in doubt.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Olsondogg wrote:Sure Ristic is a liability, but he's also a huge asset when on the block on offense.
I always find it odd that the automatic converse truth when noting Ristic's weakness defensively against smaller/quicker "smallball" post players isn't immediately recognized...Ristic has a noted offensive advantage over a 6'7" F/C in the post. And Ristic can absolutely take advantage of that mismatch, unlike some bigger centers with less refined footwork/shot options around the basket.

Ristic drives me nuts like everyone else at times because of his defense, and it has almost been comical at times this year how effective the opposition post seems to be if they get Dusan pinned on the block. But some of that is expectation bias (not really noticing the times his presence alters a shot, "knowing" he is a poor defender), and some of that is only other skilled bigs get him pinned at the post. And we have played some skilled bigs.

I would say that his offensive superiority does not make up for his defensive weakness against an athletic/smaller post player if we have a lot of offense on the court, but if we are sitting Trier or, now, Rawle, having the mismatch of Dusan vs a small post on offense, where his usage rate will be higher with other scorers out, might be worth the loss on the defensive end, as long as that defensive loss doesn't also include run outs
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Thanks EVcat, that is what I wanted to say.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrX7iTmVwoI" target="_blank

Compliance Minute on the Wildcat Youtube channel.

nooooooooo
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SunnyAZ wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrX7iTmVwoI

Compliance Minute on the Wildcat Youtube channel.

nooooooooo
They should say, if it is a fake class offered to all students, it is ok. If it is a fake class with a suspiciously high percentage of athletes and you say the right things, it is ok.

If you're Boise State women's tennis, and you let someone sleep on your couch, it's a HELL NO.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Pop McKale wrote:My dad and I talk about Dusan becoming like the Bill Cartwright of the 1990-91 Bulls (cue the Alan Parsons Project..."The Man...In The Middle..."). Started every game, got fed early and often and usually was good for a couple early ones inside at the beginning of each half, then vanished for the majority of the rest of the game if it stayed in doubt.
If Ristic had even half of Cartwright's toughness, he'd be a much better player. BC was a big, mean dude.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Yeah Sexton is tough. He killed us by drawing so many fouls, but otherwise shot 40% and had no rebounds and just a couple assists. That’s a chucker’s line if you take away the free throws. But yeah...

I don’t blame PJC for that. Sexton is going to go off on a lot of people this year.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
gumby

Post by gumby »

Pop McKale wrote: But did he really destroy us? Never felt like he dominated the game even though he was at the FT line all night long.
Forget it, Jake. It's Internet Town.
gumby

Post by gumby »

rgdeuce wrote:
Merkin wrote:

I keep hearing about this 43 inch vert. But it doesn't translate to game situations. Not a quick jumper, not a willing jumper (and there is no second jump) a la Aaron Gordon. Not an instinctual shot blocker. He's never had to battle.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

gumby wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
Merkin wrote:

I keep hearing about this 43 inch vert. But it doesn't translate to game situations. Not a quick jumper, not a willing jumper (and there is no second jump) a la Aaron Gordon. Not an instinctual shot blocker. He's never had to battle.
Sadly agree. Maybe dudes need to just start throwing huge lobs and make him go get it.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

gumby wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
Merkin wrote:

you know he is averaging 20.5 and 12, right? A lot of that because he is super athletic.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

gumby wrote: I keep hearing about this 43 inch vert. But it doesn't translate to game situations. Not a quick jumper, not a willing jumper (and there is no second jump) a la Aaron Gordon. Not an instinctual shot blocker. He's never had to battle.
Gumby, sometimes I miss your sarcasm.

Is this one of those times? Because if not, have you seen Deandre Ayton rebound the basketball?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dcZONAfan wrote:
gumby wrote: I keep hearing about this 43 inch vert. But it doesn't translate to game situations. Not a quick jumper, not a willing jumper (and there is no second jump) a la Aaron Gordon. Not an instinctual shot blocker. He's never had to battle.
Gumby, sometimes I miss your sarcasm.

Is this one of those times? Because if not, have you seen Deandre Ayton rebound the basketball?
Yeah, the 18 rebounds against Alabama...well, the bar is insanely high if we're dismissing that. 18 rebounds is otherworldly and Ayton knocked that off like it was just another day.