Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: 2017-2018 Arizona Basketball

Post by Beachcat97 »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:U of A -9 vs UCLA tomorrow

o/u 158
That strike anyone else as high? We were favored by 7 vs. UW.
A little high. Kenpom is calling it a seven point win. Massey calling it seven or eight.
I'll take a win, however narrow it may be. Gotta get that win column larger, and home losses to non-tourney teams this late in the season are no bueno. USC is on the bubble; don't think UCLA is getting in.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Assuming Alkins plays, both games will be a good barometer of where we are, how far we've come and how much more we need to do. I'd love to see two emphatic victories in which we don't shoot lights out but play really solid defense, rebound well and get out in transition. And keep the turnovers down.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

zonagrad wrote:I'd love to see two emphatic victories in which we don't shoot lights out but play really solid defense, rebound well and get out in transition. And keep the turnovers down.
From your mouth to God's ear.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Olsondogg wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Purdue is exceptionally good. Not sure why there’s a desire to discount that.
I asked a question...not trying to discount anything...but whats their stellar victories?
Still wondering
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Really hoping to see another FU timeout tonight by Miller
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

PHXCATS wrote:Really hoping to see another FU timeout tonight by Miller
Just win. This is a pivotal week. We either tighten our grip on 1st place or open the door for others to rise up. Notice all the top 10 losses recently: Nova, Purdue, Duke, MSU, Kansas. It’s that time of year. Bubble teams are fighting for their lives. League leaders are wearing down a little due to injury and fatigue. Mid to late Feb is always a tough phase of the season.

Bottom line: gotta go 2-0 this week. No excuses.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Olsondogg wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Purdue is exceptionally good. Not sure why there’s a desire to discount that.
I asked a question...not trying to discount anything...but whats their stellar victories?
Still wondering
I'll give them Butler and both Michigan games. They certainly are no juggernaut though, while I think they are certainly a Final Four contender.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I’m not convinced Purdue is a FF team. I’d love to see them as the 1 seed in our region. Teams I want to avoid: UVA, Nova, Michigan State.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Still wondering
I'll give them Butler and both Michigan games. They certainly are no juggernaut though, while I think they are certainly a Final Four contender.
There are probably 10 teams that could fit that role. Was it 3 top 10 teams that lost at home last night?

I wonder if fans of those teams freak out as well over losses.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Of course they do.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Olsondogg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Still wondering
There are probably 10 teams that could fit that role. Was it 3 top 10 teams that lost at home last night?

I wonder if fans of those teams freak out as well over losses.
Of course not. It is only US Wildcat fans who do that. :D :D :D :D :D
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Olsondogg wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Still wondering
Purdue is 5-2 in Q1 games and 6-1 in Q2 games. Only Nova, UVA, Cincy, and Xavier have competitive resumes. Kansas maybe as well though it's really hard to believe.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Still wondering
Purdue is 5-2 in Q1 games and 6-1 in Q2 games. Only Nova, UVA, Cincy, and Xavier have competitive resumes. Kansas maybe as well though it's really hard to believe.
The answer is Michigan and butler. That’s it.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Beachcat97 wrote:I’m not convinced Purdue is a FF team. I’d love to see them as the 1 seed in our region. Teams I want to avoid: UVA, Nova, Michigan State.
I'd add Wichita State to the list although I think we would beat MSU.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Olsondogg wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Still wondering
The answer is Michigan and butler. That’s it.
@Michigan, Butler (N), Arizona (N), @Marquette are the big ones. Also just not losing to the stupid teams in their conference (like we have).
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Adding to above, Oklahoma (Trae Young) is the kind of team (player) to do very well in the tourney. I could also see Texas A&M being a tough out. I'll be watching Purdue at Michigan State on Saturday. Both look like contenders. There are no elite teams, though. Virginia has a dominant defense but they are #35 in AdjO. It just looks like a down year in college hoops. It will be a shame if we don't capitalize.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Guys, one game at a time, and stop worrying about what other teams are doing. If we look past UCLA tonight, we'll affect the focus of Arizona's players and coaches and cause them to lose.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote:Guys, one game at a time, and stop worrying about what other teams are doing. If we look past UCLA tonight, we'll affect the focus of Arizona's players and coaches and cause them to lose.

Just grab your nuts and yell Bear Down.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Longhorned wrote:Guys, one game at a time, and stop worrying about what other teams are doing. If we look past UCLA tonight, we'll affect the focus of Arizona's players and coaches and cause them to lose.
I heard SM checks the forum right before tip off to get sufficiently pissed off.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

UAEebs86 wrote:

Just grab your nuts and yell Bear Down.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

This is a first round exit kinda team.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

I don't even have an angry rant type of post, just gonna say BearDown and leave it at that
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Main Event wrote:I don't even have an angry rant type of post, just gonna say BearDown and leave it at that
As I said before I'm ready for March. Go Cats!
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

ASUHATER! wrote:This is a first round exit kinda team.
Not first round, but our second and third round games will probably basically be coins tosses and we'll probably lose one of those early coin tosses.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Hopefully CSM didnt keep Rawle and Zo too long after the game so they could get home and focus on all their haters. Gonna be nice to head off to @assu and Oregon riding a three game losing streak.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:This is a first round exit kinda team.
Better hope we don't face a good PG and other guards who can torch the perimeter defense.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Arizona basketball is stuck with Sean Miller and he's stuck with us. We are destined to live a tortured life as fans for quite some time.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Our RPI is 23: Which is usually a good indicator of where we will be seeded.

http://realtimerpi.com/college_Men_basketball_rpi.html" target="_blank

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball ... etball-rpi" target="_blank[/quote]
I'm not seeing many losses on the schedule. I guess we'll see.[/quote]

Potential road losses: OSU, UO, asu, UW, and I would not be surpised to lose one at home to somebody we shouldn't......like UW

If we drop 3 road losses (say UO, UW, asu) and 1 home game that would give us 8 losses. Even staying perfect at home would give us 7 losses resulting in a likely 5/6 seed.[/quote]
4 road losses? OK bud. Like I said, we'll see.[/quote]

Are you seeing yet Qwertyus????? I still see at least one more road loss (asu/uo/osu) and the USC game this Saturday is no gimme.

I still see a 4/5/6 seed as our most likely endpoint. A 2nd round loss would not be a shock.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Bennie Boatright is going to eat our lunch Saturday
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I believe in this team and will support them win or lose. For those jumping off the wagon, don't break a leg. :)
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I actually feel relieved to see what this team is, and I don’t regret not jumping the gun and coming to conclusions in December that turned out to be right in February.

Flawed teams can make a Final Four, especially this year. But not a team with this combination of flaws in February: No defense and a black hole point guard in a half court offense.

We’ll win games when all our guards and both our bigs are hitting shots, and lose when one or more isn’t. Maybe we’ll beat USC, or maybe Alkins or Trier or Ayton will have an off shooting night and that will be that. Not much to be done. Same with tournament games.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

We’re just not a very good team. Is what it is. That was not a very good team we lost to. It’s one of those years where we make average teams look like champions. Happened in the Bahamas, and it’s happening again as the season winds down.

And I’m not sure I agree with fuego’s post. Is this a player problem or a Miller problem?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

We're looking a lot like the '87-'88 Kansas team did at this point in that season...

... unfortunately, the similarity probably ends within a month.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Pop McKale

Post by Pop McKale »

Longhorned wrote:I actually feel relieved to see what this team is, and I don’t regret not jumping the gun and coming to conclusions in December that turned out to be right in February.

Flawed teams can make a Final Four, especially this year. But not a team with this combination of flaws in February: No defense and a black hole point guard in a half court offense.

We’ll win games when all our guards and both our bigs are hitting shots, and lose when one or more isn’t. Maybe we’ll beat USC, or maybe Alkins or Trier or Ayton will have an off shooting night and that will be that. Not much to be done. Same with tournament games.
Yeah, but last night was different and the crowd even knew it. Smacked of cashing out like they did against Purdue. There's a difference in being who you are and waving the white flag. After that game, the team found their will to fight after bad stretches, e.g. UNLV, at Boulder, at Seattle, but there was none of that last night. Game was over when Hands went off right before halftime.

Lazy passes everywhere. Brain-dead turnovers. More half-assed defense. PJC gets picked by Holiday on a made basket inbound pass not once but twice and nearly a third time in the space of about 7 minutes of game time. Bad on Ayton for not communicating "man-on", bad on Parker for letting it happen more than once. I mean, that's just sleepwalking. You're at home against UCLA in February. Do these guys even want to play anymore?

Speaking of Ayton, was he sick or something last night? Short-arming layups, stumbling around on post moves, and settling way too much in the early going for the 15-18 footers (none of which were close) when Welsh had 2 fouls on him. Refs missed a few hacks on him but he wasn't all there.

Alkins lays another egg but still gets 29 minutes. Got benched once for Akot on a bad defensive sequence late in the first half, but was back in the game in less than a minute of game time. Message sent and received? Don't give me "Well, the bench sucks" routine. Can't be any worse than that. I'll take 29 minutes of Ira Lee's clumsy hustle over that nonsense right now.

If we're drawing comparisons, 2003-04 is suddenly looking mighty similar.

Presser was pretty subdued. Has Miller given up, too?

And yet we're still in first place. Would be cool if this squad channeled their inner Bill Russell. "The games are on the schedule and we have to play them.
We might as well and win them."
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

I don't think the players have quit or don't care of have checked out. But sometimes it starts with the little things. In the second half when our confidence was waning, we had many players trying to step up and make plays. That led to some questionable shot selection. Or perhaps a bad gamble on D trying to do something big.
It starts with a million little things. Make sure that you box out, cut hard, set a solid screen, be hard to guard away from the ball. Don't worry about making a big play or taking a big shot. Just play the right way and as unselfishly as you can. Think about trying to keep a rebound alive. Or simply not letting your man get open. That's all.
UCLA made shots. But the shots Hands made in that stretch were not good shots. If they miss, Bill Walton is criticizing the bad shot selection and selfishness and Alford is criticized as a bad coach. And I wouldn't be surprised to see UCLA taking and missing the same shots in Tempe. I'm more upset about the easy drives to the basket and kick outs for open 3's that we consistently give up. And that our point guard can't keep opponents from doing whatever they please.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

This team looks like the Abbey Road Beatles. Miller too.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zonagrad wrote:I don't think the players have quit or don't care of have checked out. But sometimes it starts with the little things. In the second half when our confidence was waning, we had many players trying to step up and make plays. That led to some questionable shot selection. Or perhaps a bad gamble on D trying to do something big.
It starts with a million little things. Make sure that you box out, cut hard, set a solid screen, be hard to guard away from the ball. Don't worry about making a big play or taking a big shot. Just play the right way and as unselfishly as you can. Think about trying to keep a rebound alive. Or simply not letting your man get open. That's all.
UCLA made shots. But the shots Hands made in that stretch were not good shots. If they miss, Bill Walton is criticizing the bad shot selection and selfishness and Alford is criticized as a bad coach. And I wouldn't be surprised to see UCLA taking and missing the same shots in Tempe. I'm more upset about the easy drives to the basket and kick outs for open 3's that we consistently give up. And that our point guard can't keep opponents from doing whatever they please.
I'm into powerlifting and strongman. One of the better YouTube channels on that stuff is Brian Alsruhe. This quote may come from someone else, but I'll shout him out because I heard it from him first.

"Motivation follows action. Action rarely follows motivation."

That strikes me as a major part of our issue. We seem to wait for something to happen to get us charged up instead of pushing constantly and letting that snowball into motivation.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Still the big problem I'm having is there's one surefire NBA talent on this roster.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Initial on ball defense is bad but where is the help side D? I mean it seems everyone is glued to their guy and in no position to help. Seems like an easy fix.
P.s.
Someone tell DEUCE he's 7 feet so tired of him pitting his hands up watching the guy get an easy bucket. Hard foul try to make a play please
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Main Event wrote:I don't even have an angry rant type of post, just gonna say BearDown and leave it at that
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:"Motivation follows action. Action rarely follows motivation."

That strikes me as a major part of our issue. We seem to wait for something to happen to get us charged up instead of pushing constantly and letting that snowball into motivation.
Co-sign
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

What a weird season. In the conversation for #1 to begin the season. Now we’re on a collision course with the bubble. Yes, we’re in first. Gotta give em props. But anyone feeling confident we’re gonna finish there? UCLA is not a good team. They just wanted that game more. If our guys are struggling with effort and execution in mid-Feb, why would we expect better outcomes in only a few weeks?

They had to win two this week. They didn’t. Better AZ teams would’ve closed the deal.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Beachcat97 wrote:What a weird season. In the conversation for #1 to begin the season. Now we’re on a collision course with the bubble. Yes, we’re in first. Gotta give em props. But anyone feeling confident we’re gonna finish there? UCLA is not a good team. They just wanted that game more. If our guys are struggling with effort and execution in mid-Feb, why would we expect better outcomes in only a few weeks?

They had to win two this week. They didn’t. Better AZ teams would’ve closed the deal.
I'm not confident at all. I can definitely see this team losing another 3 regular season games. And if they flame out early in the tourney, they could definitely be on the bubble, because that could be 10 losses.
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

Beachcat97 wrote:What a weird season. In the conversation for #1 to begin the season. Now we’re on a collision course with the bubble. Yes, we’re in first. Gotta give em props. But anyone feeling confident we’re gonna finish there? UCLA is not a good team. They just wanted that game more. If our guys are struggling with effort and execution in mid-Feb, why would we expect better outcomes in only a few weeks?

Rather than "They just wanted that game more" I think it would be better phrased as "We just didn't really want to win that one" or something like that. The easy layups which we kept giving them (which is becoming a trend) were obscene. And, when the hell are we going to learn how to beat the zone? Everyone plays it against us because they know we struggle against it.

I think the coaches should google "how to beat the zone" and watch a few Youtube videos on this. If any of you coaches happen to be perusing these boards, Here's a good start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PokTDor4jCQ" target="_blank
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

UAtrue wrote:

Rather than "They just wanted that game more" I think it would be better phrased as "We just didn't really want to win that one" or something like that. The easy layups which we kept giving them (which is becoming a trend) were obscene. And, when the hell are we going to learn how to beat the zone? Everyone plays it against us because they know we struggle against it.

I think the coaches should google "how to beat the zone" and watch a few Youtube videos on this. If any of you coaches happen to be perusing these boards, Here's a good start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PokTDor4jCQ" target="_blank
Scoring against the zone really hasn't been much of a problem this year. We lose because we can't stop anyone.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Arizona favored by 5 tomorrow night
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

UAtrue wrote:
Rather than "They just wanted that game more" I think it would be better phrased as "We just didn't really want to win that one" or something like that.
I'd take either because the question to each is the same: Why the FUCKING FUCK? And to Spff's remark about action and motivation: if our first shots don't fall we pout. As fans most of us are pouting, that's for sure.

Here's a downer: how bout we do so poorly that both Trier and Rawle tank their lottery chances and come back for another go? Would we then be any hungrier?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Beachcat97 wrote:What a weird season. In the conversation for #1 to begin the season. Now we’re on a collision course with the bubble.
:lol:
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

PHXCATS wrote:Arizona favored by 5 tomorrow night
If we don't win that one, we will definitely be heading for the bubble. 3 losses in a row to unranked teams, with two of those games at home. That will be a tank worse than ASsU's tank that started on December 30.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Jefe wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:What a weird season. In the conversation for #1 to begin the season. Now we’re on a collision course with the bubble.
:lol:
I have no idea why you think that would be funny. Lose tomorrow and UA will be unranked. 6 losses. 5 to unranked teams. 1 win vs a RPI top 25 team. That is getting to be in the bubble conversation.

Right now a 6 from CBS and dropping quickly