2017-2018 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

84Cat

Re: 2017-2018 Arizona Basketball

Post by 84Cat »

Jefe wrote:Scholly breakdown? We get 12 or 13? Jeter doesnt count but gets tuition covered?

CBS has us #1 now
Sean said we have 13 right now in today's presser.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

So Jeter was 11, Rawle 12 and Akot 13

Dylan Smith kicking himself for picking us now?

Log jam at the 3/4 unless Trier and Rawle play some point. Hopefully no one leaves, this is going to be a special team. Best starting 4 in the country (sorry PJC)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:So Jeter was 11, Rawle 12 and Akot 13

Dylan Smith kicking himself for picking us now?

Log jam at the 3/4 unless Trier and Rawle play some point. Hopefully no one leaves, this is going to be a special team. Best starting 4 in the country (sorry PJC)
Log jam at the 2/3, really. Zo and Rawle are a very good pair, and Akot and Randolp have a ton of potential. Now, we have some leeway to cover no Comanche with Rawle and maybe Akot at the 4 in smaller, perimeter lineups.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Lee, Randolph are 3/4s, Akot a 2/3?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Randolph is a 2
Akot is a 3
Lee is a 4

Randolph maybe has size to be a 3, but he's still a 2.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

If everyone gets on board defensively and Rawle can step up to the task of being the team's stopper, can you imagine the problem we will be to most everyone defensively? Like Spliff said, very high defensive ceiling, even with the concerns defensively w PJC and Ristic. Ton of offensive firepower too w two wings who could average 20 ppg for most teams, Ristic, Ayton and im presuming Randolph. This team will also probably be one of the top rebounding teams in the country
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:Randolph is a 2
Akot is a 3
Lee is a 4

Akot is 6'7. If he puts some work and can get to 210, that's ok size for a smaller option at the 4.

Hopefully Lee just steps in, is ready from the jump, and none of that matters.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Sean said Akot could be a 3 or 4. He just needs to wait and see how it plays out.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

I see Akot as a very likely RHJ clone (not as good i guess/too early to tell), a SF who will be a really good defender, raw offensively, and can be a stretch 4 in small lineups.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

NYCat wrote:I see Akot as a very likely RHJ clone (not as good i guess/too early to tell), a SF who will be a really good defender, raw offensively, and can be a stretch 4 in small lineups.
That's about right. But his body is probably not as far along as RHJ was as an incoming frosh so maybe not as strong. He is a better passer than RHJ was tho. He's not gonna play the point like Miller suggested , but he can play some point forward in some half court sets. The fact that Miller even said it just shows what he thinks of akots court vision.

I'm fairly confident our Pg will look like this - starter PJC, backup and crunch time - zo , mop up minutes - barcello.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:Randolph is a 2
Akot is a 3
Lee is a 4

Positions these guys can play:

Randolph 2/3
Akot 2/3/4
Lee 4
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

NYCat wrote:I see Akot as a very likely RHJ clone (not as good i guess/too early to tell), a SF who will be a really good defender, raw offensively, and can be a stretch 4 in small lineups.
The kid is only 18, think he'll get any taller?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

PennZona20 wrote:
That's about right. But his body is probably not as far along as RHJ was as an incoming frosh so maybe not as strong. He is a better passer than RHJ was tho. He's not gonna play the point like Miller suggested , but he can play some point forward in some half court sets. The fact that Miller even said it just shows what he thinks of akots court vision.

I'm fairly confident our Pg will look like this - starter PJC, backup and crunch time - zo , mop up minutes - barcello.
I don't like Zo as a PG in crunch time unless he's completely revamped his game.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Much more an Iggy clone than a RHJ clone.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Puerco wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:

I don't like Zo as a PG in crunch time unless he's completely revamped his game.
Whether he's playing the 1 or not, Zo is pretty much the guy who is going to have the ball in his hands at crunch time this year.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

ChooChooCat wrote:Whether he's playing the 1 or not, Zo is pretty much the guy who is going to have the ball in his hands at crunch time this year.
And if PJC isn't red hot from 3, he better not be on the floor, because he's otherwise useless in a half court set.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Actually, playing point guard with the talent Arizona will have on the floor next season should be easy. Arizona should be better defensively next year because of Ayton in the paint who is more of a shot blocker and rebounder than Markannen was. Trier & Alkins will be a year older, stronger and wiser. (Plus, we'll have Trier for the full non-conference.) Ristic will likely be the same: good for the long haul getting buckets and keeping teams honest on defense against us because he gets so many bunnies. In games against athletic teams come tourney time, he'll once again be a defensive liability. But I think we'll be able to hide him a little better because of Ayton, Trier & Alkins. Perimeter shooting should be much improved from a year ago. Granted, Markannen was tremendous for us but Ayton has shown ability to step out and shoot from distance. And Alkins outside game was greatly improved at the end of the season before the dislocation.

Which leaves the point guard to push tempo at all times. We have wings who can finish at the rim, post players, outside shooters and guys who can attack the rim. All the point guard needs to do is distribute and knock down the occasional open jumper when opponents are scrambling to cover all the other talent on the floor. PJC will be considered the "weak link" by other teams. As long as he can attack and distribute, he can be a decent point guard. My biggest worry with him is his defense.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Whether he's playing the 1 or not, Zo is pretty much the guy who is going to have the ball in his hands at crunch time this year.
And if PJC isn't red hot from 3, he better not be on the floor, because he's otherwise useless in a half court set.
I don't agree with that at all. Against the zone he's one of the most valuable on the offensive end (one of the few that can break it down and get in the lane, and he hits open Js). His problem is on the defensive end.

I don't get all the PJC hate - sure he has shortcomings, but the guy has been a net positive contributor. Remember all the hate for Kyle Fogg prior to his senior year? Then he went out and crushed it. I'm expecting similar things from Parker. When the kid is confident and makes good decisions, this team is better.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

threenumberones wrote:
IndianaZonaFan wrote:
I don't agree with that at all. Against the zone he's one of the most valuable on the offensive end (one of the few that can break it down and get in the lane, and he hits open Js). His problem is on the defensive end.

I don't get all the PJC hate - sure he has shortcomings, but the guy has been a net positive contributor. Remember all the hate for Kyle Fogg prior to his senior year? Then he went out and crushed it. I'm expecting similar things from Parker. When the kid is confident and makes good decisions, this team is better.
Well coached teams are going to game plan to neutralize our advantages and make PJC beat us. That means making PJC take the ball to the rim and finish, something he doesn't do very well. His shown the ability to make open 3's. He hasn't shown the ability to create in the lane against strong defensive teams. The two teams that made PJC look awful last season were Butler & Xavier. Miller's job will be to either make PJC a better point guard and improve his ability to finish or create match ups where PJC isn't called upon to do things he can't. Or, get him off the floor. It's not hating on PJC. It's just the realization that there are parts to his game that aren't complete.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

PJC has shown the ability to probe defenses and open things up for others. The question with him has always been consistency. His consistency has improved each year and we need him to take another step up. It's cliche around these parts to say "he is what he is" but it is true. All we can ask for is a step up in that department, him to really mature as a senior and chill with the "self pity" moments when he is not having a good game, and dedication to being the best defender he can be. If he does all that, we could be much worse off at that position honestly.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

zonagrad wrote:
Well coached teams are going to game plan to neutralize our advantages and make PJC beat us. That means making PJC take the ball to the rim and finish, something he doesn't do very well. His shown the ability to make open 3's. He hasn't shown the ability to create in the lane against strong defensive teams. The two teams that made PJC look awful last season were Butler & Xavier. Miller's job will be to either make PJC a better point guard and improve his ability to finish or create match ups where PJC isn't called upon to do things he can't. Or, get him off the floor. It's not hating on PJC. It's just the realization that there are parts to his game that aren't complete.
PJC gets himself into trouble when he makes poor decisions once he gets past that first layer of defense, but for every time he has driven into the trees and got his layup sent into the first row or got stuck in no man's land, he has made a tough shot, dished off to the open man or gotten to the foul line. It isn't his strong suit, but he isn't completely worthless in that department. He has gotten into the lane and done some good things against quality teams and defenses we otherwise could not solve with Kadeem.

In most games, we are just going to need PJC to take care of the ball, initiate the offense, make a concerted effort to get the ball into the low post when needed, hit the open shot, and pull his weight on defense. He has four huge weapons at his disposal, three of whom are going to have no problems getting their shot off. Is he the ideal point guard come tournament/crunch time? Maybe not, but we are still roughly 9 months away from that point and we will cross that bridge when we get there. I don't think teams are going to be worried about PJC or making PJC beat us. Stopping Alkins, Trier, Ayton, and Ristic is still a tall order for 4.5 defenders, and regardless, once again, most teams are going to zone us until we prove we can beat it. For some perspective, Kadeem was a guy who COULD get to the rim and finish and he shot well from deep and we still had issues with zones.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Despite the drawbacks of the team, it looks like every other team has more of them.
Who has a better combo of returning producers (three of top four scorers) and new talent (top 3 class)?
Right where I want to be.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Next years team has all the elements of a final 4 team:

An All American - Trier

Sr Leadership - Ristic and PJC

An A+ effort guy - Alkins

A guy willing to do the dirty work - Pinder

An amazing freshmen class - Randolph,Akot, Lee, Ayton

I am pretty excited for next year... should be a fun team to watch
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

rgdeuce wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
PJC gets himself into trouble when he makes poor decisions once he gets past that first layer of defense, but for every time he has driven into the trees and got his layup sent into the first row or got stuck in no man's land, he has made a tough shot, dished off to the open man or gotten to the foul line. It isn't his strong suit, but he isn't completely worthless in that department. He has gotten into the lane and done some good things against quality teams and defenses we otherwise could not solve with Kadeem.

In most games, we are just going to need PJC to take care of the ball, initiate the offense, make a concerted effort to get the ball into the low post when needed, hit the open shot, and pull his weight on defense. He has four huge weapons at his disposal, three of whom are going to have no problems getting their shot off. Is he the ideal point guard come tournament/crunch time? Maybe not, but we are still roughly 9 months away from that point and we will cross that bridge when we get there. I don't think teams are going to be worried about PJC or making PJC beat us. Stopping Alkins, Trier, Ayton, and Ristic is still a tall order for 4.5 defenders, and regardless, once again, most teams are going to zone us until we prove we can beat it. For some perspective, Kadeem was a guy who COULD get to the rim and finish and he shot well from deep and we still had issues with zones.
Randolph is my zone buster. Akot in certain spots is great too, kid was shooting 47% from 3 this summer.
gumby

Post by gumby »

47 percent! That would be quite different from Iggy or Rondae.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Looks like we've got this thing wrapped up.

https://youtu.be/wULY7-jEPIE

Still can't embed frickin' youtube vids.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Alieberman wrote:Next years team has all the elements of a final 4 team:

An All American - Trier

Sr Leadership - Ristic and PJC

An A+ effort guy - Alkins

A guy willing to do the dirty work - Pinder

An amazing freshmen class - Randolph,Akot, Lee, Ayton

I am pretty excited for next year... should be a fun team to watch
Roster on paper, definitely has Elite Eight potential.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Puerco wrote:Looks like we've got this thing wrapped up.

I'm dead. That is fantastic. I can't stop laughing. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:47 percent! That would be quite different from Iggy or Rondae.
He must be a Romney fan.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

PJC's glaring weakness is on the defensive end. If we can tighten up around him, we will be fine at PG. He can deliver, he is a zone buster, and with 3 years experience, he will likely be a bit better this year than last, and able to relax on the court as he hasn't in past years. I have always felt he was nervous about the hook on the floor and sometimes didn't just play.

He will never be able to defend at a high level. But I have never considered PJC's play on the offensive end to be a problem. In fact, he was often the solution to get the post game going. He sees the floor well and got over his road slump issues. So if we are elite or near elite behind him defensively, a lot of the "woe is us at PG" goes away.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gumby wrote:47 percent! That would be quite different from Iggy or Rondae.
He must be a Romney fan.
:D
He made them in what he thought was a friendly setting.
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

ChooChooCat wrote:

I'm dead. That is fantastic. I can't stop laughing. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Put the embed code in between the YouTube brackets

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

On the youtube page, click share>click embed>copy the code>bring that over here and click on the youtube tags and paste the code.
gumby

Post by gumby »

What is your Gematria?
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

84Cat wrote:

On the youtube page, click share>click embed>copy the code>bring that over here and click on the youtube tags and paste the code.
Bangkok Wildcat

Holy crap, this finally works.....I've tried getting the embedded code using my Apple products but could never get it from the YouTube App itself and also had issues from using the Safari Browser until now.

Thanks much 84!!!!

PS Edit: Still can't get the embedded code from YouTube App directly so the workaround is now using a browser on top of YouTube....good to know there's a usable workaround now though.....so cool!
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

What did I just watch?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Fishclamps wrote:What did I just watch?
*crickets*
pretty classic
Bangkok Wildcat

azgreg wrote:
This stupid, unbalanced scheduling just kills me every year......and it's should be a much easier fix for basketball vs football. Ridiculous and IMO leaves an asterisk next to every 'P12 Season Champion'.

If this has to be the result of expanding to 12 schools, I'd rather go back to 10....Can someone in the know give an objective analysis of how P12 has been an improvement to the conference? Thanks in advance.
Bangkok Wildcat

Frybry02 wrote:
Fishclamps wrote:What did I just watch?
*crickets*
pretty classic
Lol, I only posted it as I was excited that there was a workaround that I could now use.....the clip itself is so boring I gave up after 40 seconds. My bad ;-)
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Been watching Akot videos tonight. Wow.
Bangkok Wildcat

rgdeuce wrote:Been watching Akot videos tonight. Wow.
In what way? In the Dillon Brooks (sadly Ray Smith) matchup at the 4 nightmare?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

We can enjoy it paying off this year before its fixed. No road trip for the two top teams besides us? We should cakewalk to 16 wins, but it would be cool to see them run the table.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
I only needed the first one to see that he oozes NBA potential. I think the Iguodala comparison is more than fair. No, I think of it the other way - the guy you can stick on a 1-4 and he's going to do the job defensively ala Rondae. His shooting mechanics need work but it still looked like he has good touch on his outside shot. So likely none of the offensive issues Rondae had stemming from his lack of any outside shot. He attacks the same way Rondae did, kind of head down and go, but he still seems to see the open man. His passing and court vision really are nuts for a 3. The passing stood out the most to me. Unselfish but can be assertive when needed. At times it felt like watching Kyle Anderson with a motor.

He's going to be another fearless type of player like an Alkins or Parrom. I saw multiple clips of him going straight into dudes' chests on contested finishes off his own drive. He's probably going to scare the shit out of most college players after two years w our strength program. Going to be a fan favorite.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Puerco wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:

Whether he's playing the 1 or not, Zo is pretty much the guy who is going to have the ball in his hands at crunch time this year.

Yup. PJC may bring it up court but get it across the timeline, space the floor and run pick and pop/roll w Ayton and Zo. At that point PJC will be floating on the perimeter looking for an open kick out 3. This is Zos team just as the Zags were William Goss team last year or Oregon was Brooks team. Other guys can hit the GW in crunch time, but it's going to come off Zos action at the very least.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
zonagrad wrote:

Randolph is my zone buster. Akot in certain spots is great too, kid was shooting 47% from 3 this summer.
I don't know how much run he'll get, but by all accounts Dylan Smith can get microwave hot from deep as well. Then add in improved shooting from Trier, Alkins, healthy PJC who doesn't lose his shot while rehabbing and we should be every bit the 3 pt shooting team we were last year. We will lose a bit going from Lauri to Ayton from 3 (Ayton can shoot though) but gain it back replacing Kadeem w shooters like Akot, Randolph , and Smith. Now if we could just avoid the whole team - Trier for a stint going ice cold in the S16 we are good.
Bangkok Wildcat

rgdeuce wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
I only needed the first one to see that he oozes NBA potential. I think the Iguodala comparison is more than fair. No, I think of it the other way - the guy you can stick on a 1-4 and he's going to do the job defensively ala Rondae. His shooting mechanics need work but it still looked like he has good touch on his outside shot. So likely none of the offensive issues Rondae had stemming from his lack of any outside shot. He attacks the same way Rondae did, kind of head down and go, but he still seems to see the open man. His passing and court vision really are nuts for a 3. The passing stood out the most to me. Unselfish but can be assertive when needed. At times it felt like watching Kyle Anderson with a motor.

He's going to be another fearless type of player like an Alkins or Parrom. I saw multiple clips of him going straight into dudes' chests on contested finishes off his own drive. He's probably going to scare the shit out of most college players after two years w our strength program. Going to be a fan favorite.
Thanks much for your take on Akot rgdeuce....It's got me really fired up on this kid now....I didn't know anything about him until just recently and even then since he was an '18 recruit, wasn't all that interested in investing the time, energy, and emotions as so much can happen in a short time these days (ala TFerg).

I'm especially ecstatic on your praise for this kid as you obviously know your stuff and I really enjoy your take on things (along with several others on this board). Damn, was trying not to get too excited too early about next season especially after last off-season & pre-season's horrors.....BUT now, I'm really pumped already!

However, am really severely keeping my expectations in check this year and taking it slow. Guess the first real taste will be the Spanish Trip. Hoping Dczona is there to represent! Wish I could afford to be one of those booster types and take the trip as well.

Links for the game 84Cat???? Lol.

Bear Down.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I'll be curious to see if we have anybody redshirt this year. We legitimately have 11 guys that could play, but we know that even pushing to 9 or especially 10 guys is a stretch. Ira Lee or Keanu Pinder may be good candidates for a redshirt with Akot able to log in minutes at the 4 when a small ball athletic lineup is called for. Maybe Barcello as well, but I'm sure that'll depend on the back up PG situation. What I do know is these guys will for sure get in the rotation one way or the other:

PJC
Trier
Rawle
Ayton
Ristic
Randolph
Akot
One of Pinder/Lee
Dylan Smith as the 9th guy when needed