2017-2018 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

YoDeFoe

Re: 2017-2018 Arizona Basketball

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spiff: Sounds like a UVA packline.

Clip: It worries me to death every game that a team will figure out to put Ristic in a high ball screen and just feast on what that action gives them. Plenty of teams do it but if they're not overloading one side of the floor (like you suggest) it's become less effective as our wings have begun to step in to rub Ristic's man until Ristic can get back into position.

Kentucky in particular could run that set with guys bigger than PJC and faster than Ristic.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Don't remember which team did this but one forced Ayton baseline and doubled on the dribble. That was probably the best strategy I've seen all year. Don't think anybody else did it tho. That is a big NBA strategy, making post guys baseline and doubling on the move.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Spiff: Sounds like a UVA packline.

Clip: It worries me to death every game that a team will figure out to put Ristic in a high ball screen and just feast on what that action gives them. Plenty of teams do it but if they're not overloading one side of the floor (like you suggest) it's become less effective as our wings have begun to step in to rub Ristic's man until Ristic can get back into position.

Kentucky in particular could run that set with guys bigger than PJC and faster than Ristic.
It does. I don't think UVA is as good a matchup for us as some here.

If I was coming back about why we can beat UVA, I would say we (Ayton) need to kill the offensive glass. Hitting J's matters, but UVA plays slow and 4 or 5 chances on the offensive glass can swing things.

I'm also freaked about them running screens at Ayton, but for a different reason. Foul trouble. I'd strongly consider having my ballhandler in the pick and roll run at Ayton and then jump sideways like a sniper picked him off. If you can get 2 or 3 fouls out of that, we have a huge issue.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

I watched UVA a bunch this year and was surprised how little opponents did things strategy-wise like they do against us vs. the packline (slip picks, PnR on an empty side to get a 3PT shot, off the PnR hit an early release man to get a 2-1 advantage, switch the angle of the pick, etc).

Clemson might've been the only team that slipped ball screens that I saw. That had success the first couple then UVA cleaned up their rotations.

Also, UVA practically soft doubles every post up, even against guys who can't typically score in the post. Kinda weird, seemed like they did it unnecessarily a bunch and gave teams easier outs than jusst playing straight up. Not sure why they would do that, maybe to keep guys out of foul trouble?
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

SunnyAZ wrote:I watched UVA a bunch this year and was surprised how little opponents did things strategy-wise like they do against us vs. the packline (slip picks, PnR on an empty side to get a 3PT shot, off the PnR hit an early release man to get a 2-1 advantage, switch the angle of the pick, etc).

Clemson might've been the only team that slipped ball screens that I saw. That had success the first couple then UVA cleaned up their rotations.

Also, UVA practically soft doubles every post up, even against guys who can't typically score in the post. Kinda weird, seemed like they did it unnecessarily a bunch and gave teams easier outs than jusst playing straight up. Not sure why they would do that, maybe to keep guys out of foul trouble?
You look the UVA team and nothing really stands out (hence unranked at beginning of year). It is their effort, communication and intelligence that works. They are the definition of a team.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

SunnyAZ wrote:Don't remember which team did this but one forced Ayton baseline and doubled on the dribble. That was probably the best strategy I've seen all year. Don't think anybody else did it tho. That is a big NBA strategy, making post guys baseline and doubling on the move.
Yeah, I want to say I thought I remembered Utah doubling Ayton on the catch and Ristic when he put the ball on the floor. Could be mistaken. Maybe it was the back end of conference play with Bama?
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Shai is going to be a problem, plus if we dont run Knox off the three-point line...

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:

Shai is going to be a problem, plus if we dont run Knox off the three-point line...
If I ever fall in love with the idea Kentucky beating us, it will be due to Shai outsizing PJC.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

TucsonClip wrote:

So what if we force them to the baseline and then double them on the dribble?
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Longhorned wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:

Not sure what Miller will do, but I would bet its just a straight match up. PJC on Shai and Trier on Knox. Dont think we can risk Rawle getting lost off the ball defending Knox. That slots him on Diallo, which I think is a good match up. Rawle can use his size and length to body him on drives. While he is athletic as all hell, Diallo cant shoot.

-Shane Battier
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

TucsonClip wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:

Not sure what Miller will do, but I would bet its just a straight match up. PJC on Shai and Trier on Knox. Dont think we can risk Rawle getting lost off the ball defending Knox. That slots him on Diallo, which I think is a good match up. Rawle can use his size and length to body him on drives. While he is athletic as all hell, Diallo cant shoot.
I bet you're right about betting it's just a straight match up. It used to frustrate me that Miller just loosens his tie, coughs, and plays his team straight up while everybody else's coach finds George Karl drinking a white Russian and gets him to scribble on a napkin a two-horns reverse triangle that forces the best player in basketball to dribble into the commissioner's wife. But now it's something I've come to love about Miller: The other guys know exactly what we're going to do, and there's nothing they can do about it because their last-minute adjustments are no match for our honoring what we've been doing since practice in September.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

TucsonClip wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:

Trier on Knox sounds insane due to the size mismatch (Knox being so much bigger) but... it makes sense. If Knox is going to live on the perimeter Trier can be quicker and won't have to worry too much about over committing and getting blown by.

Shai continues to be my main concern. He's huge. I love what PJC has been giving us lately but big guards can be a problem for him. I like PJC stepping up to the challenge though. Six inches taller just means a higher dribble to swat.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

PJC needs to be a gnat. If he plays like he did defensively in the conference tournament I’ll deal with the height discrepancy.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

My worry with Trier on Knox is foul trouble. Trier is by far our best perimeter scorer and is the only player who can get to the FT line consistently. Remember, Alkins D'd up Reid Travis quite well. I don't think Knox is going to out-quick our perimeter defenders. So I'd rather have a guy like Alkins who may give up a few inches but plays big anyway.

My biggest concern on defense remains PJC and Ristic. PJC can be overpowered by bigger guards. And UK is gonna penetrate deep on him. Ristic's weakness is the high ball screen where he gets caught way too far from the basket and can't recover on the player rolling. Every opponent schemes us this way. Whoever Ristic is guarding comes up to screen the ball. And if PJC is on the ball handler, that's a bad combination. USC burned us a ton in the first half with Rikocevic & McLaughlin.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

zonagrad wrote:My worry with Trier on Knox is foul trouble. Trier is by far our best perimeter scorer and is the only player who can get to the FT line consistently. Remember, Alkins D'd up Reid Travis quite well. I don't think Knox is going to out-quick our perimeter defenders. So I'd rather have a guy like Alkins who may give up a few inches but plays big anyway.

My biggest concern on defense remains PJC and Ristic. PJC can be overpowered by bigger guards. And UK is gonna penetrate deep on him. Ristic's weakness is the high ball screen where he gets caught way too far from the basket and can't recover on the player rolling. Every opponent schemes us this way. Whoever Ristic is guarding comes up to screen the ball. And if PJC is on the ball handler, that's a bad combination. USC burned us a ton in the first half with Rikocevic & McLaughlin.
Can anyone shine a light on what we did to get out of the Rikocevic & McLaughlin action that USC was abusing us with in the first half of that game? Also, did UCLA run the same for GGG? I feel like he went off in the first half against us as well. Or did those teams simply stop going to the well?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

what a way to end the season, Ayton's career and potentially Miller's tenure with a whimper. probably our last chance to even go to the tournament for a while too.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Spent 2 years saving for the Bahamas trip, was heartbroken at the report. Took relief with other teams being on it, them 3 straight losses. Was happy when Texas AM went down. Then I saw the team was inconsistent. Then some good wins, then espn report. Then happy they won the tournament, then this. Mix in a little RR and Sumlin and it's the year to forget.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

RIP
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Weakest guardplay I have ever seen from a team. Good riddance. Please move on.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Miller: biggest freaking joke of a coach, and massive cheater to boot. A fitting end for him,

down 19 to a 13 seed. and i thought Xavier was embarrassing

I feel for the players having to play in his crap system
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

RiseAndFire wrote:Miller: biggest freaking joke of a coach, and massive cheater to boot. A fitting end for him,

I feel the same way when I read any of the drivel you produce on this board.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

RiseAndFire wrote:Miller: biggest freaking joke of a coach, and massive cheater to boot. A fitting end for him,

Fuck off
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Other than Ayton, I'm completely fine with everyone leaving and starting new. Won't miss any of them tbh (maybe Ristic the way he improved)
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

NYCat wrote:Other than Ayton, I'm completely fine with everyone leaving and starting new. Won't miss any of them tbh (maybe Ristic the way he improved)
as it stands now though, next year we're going to be terrible.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Yes, sometimes a fresh start is what's needed.
prh

Post by prh »

get the fuck outta here asu loving troll

seriously i know we don't really ban around here but you don't even deserve internet privileges

mods please make this asshole disappear
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Our defense played so atrociously bad tonight, worst maybe of the season, do you think Miller secretly sabatoged us to end the whole charade of a season? We played like he said just go out there and play however you like on D.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

PJC and Dusan should have done this 3x3 tourney. PAC12 was the only conference that didn't have a team. $1000 per win, including pool play, and either $50K or $100K for the tourney winner.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

SunnyAZ wrote:PJC and Dusan should have done this 3x3 tourney. PAC12 was the only conference that didn't have a team. $1000 per win, including pool play, and either $50K or $100K for the tourney winner.
They couldn't play. Because Larry Fucking Idiot Scott didn't send the emails in time for the PAC12 to npbe represented
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion