Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: 2017-2018 Arizona Basketball

Post by ChooChooCat »

PennZona20 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
Well coached teams are going to game plan to neutralize our advantages and make PJC beat us. That means making PJC take the ball to the rim and finish, something he doesn't do very well. His shown the ability to make open 3's. He hasn't shown the ability to create in the lane against strong defensive teams. The two teams that made PJC look awful last season were Butler & Xavier. Miller's job will be to either make PJC a better point guard and improve his ability to finish or create match ups where PJC isn't called upon to do things he can't. Or, get him off the floor. It's not hating on PJC. It's just the realization that there are parts to his game that aren't complete.
PJC gets himself into trouble when he makes poor decisions once he gets past that first layer of defense, but for every time he has driven into the trees and got his layup sent into the first row or got stuck in no man's land, he has made a tough shot, dished off to the open man or gotten to the foul line. It isn't his strong suit, but he isn't completely worthless in that department. He has gotten into the lane and done some good things against quality teams and defenses we otherwise could not solve with Kadeem.

In most games, we are just going to need PJC to take care of the ball, initiate the offense, make a concerted effort to get the ball into the low post when needed, hit the open shot, and pull his weight on defense. He has four huge weapons at his disposal, three of whom are going to have no problems getting their shot off. Is he the ideal point guard come tournament/crunch time? Maybe not, but we are still roughly 9 months away from that point and we will cross that bridge when we get there. I don't think teams are going to be worried about PJC or making PJC beat us. Stopping Alkins, Trier, Ayton, and Ristic is still a tall order for 4.5 defenders, and regardless, once again, most teams are going to zone us until we prove we can beat it. For some perspective, Kadeem was a guy who COULD get to the rim and finish and he shot well from deep and we still had issues with zones.
Randolph is my zone buster. Akot in certain spots is great too, kid was shooting 47% from 3 this summer.
I don't know how much run he'll get, but by all accounts Dylan Smith can get microwave hot from deep as well. Then add in improved shooting from Trier, Alkins, healthy PJC who doesn't lose his shot while rehabbing and we should be every bit the 3 pt shooting team we were last year. We will lose a bit going from Lauri to Ayton from 3 (Ayton can shoot though) but gain it back replacing Kadeem w shooters like Akot, Randolph , and Smith. Now if we could just avoid the whole team - Trier for a stint going ice cold in the S16 we are good.
From just looking at his game log at UNC Asheville, Smith can also get freezer cold from deep as well, just depends on the day for him. I'd also add Barcello to the list of more than capable 3 point shooters, but that's of course only if he cracks the rotation.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

ChooChooCat wrote:I'll be curious to see if we have anybody redshirt this year. We legitimately have 11 guys that could play, but we know that even pushing to 9 or especially 10 guys is a stretch. Ira Lee or Keanu Pinder may be good candidates for a redshirt with Akot able to log in minutes at the 4 when a small ball athletic lineup is called for. Maybe Barcello as well, but I'm sure that'll depend on the back up PG situation. What I do know is these guys will for sure get in the rotation one way or the other:

PJC
Trier
Rawle
Ayton
Ristic
Randolph
Akot
One of Pinder/Lee
Dylan Smith as the 9th guy when needed
We will see how things shake up. As of right now I'd be hesitant to throw out anyone. You probably need both Pinder and Lee. I'd say Akot is the wildcard who may make Lee a candidate to redshirt, but at 190 lbs, is Akot physically ready for a college 4? Rule out Akot as a redshirt, hes a kid that I see developing into something very nice come March and he didn't reclassify to sit on the bench anyhow. Smith seems like the odd man out, but he sat out last year. Barcello we are just going to have to see how the Trier at the 1 looks, how PJC is playing, if someone else can emerge as a guy to fill in that role. And who knows, he could really surprise people and be "competent" doing the minimum as long as he has the right guys around him (like PJC as a frosh with that great squad around him).

Really rough and not putting much thought into it because I really have no clue. This is early season, Id expect things to look different in January.
C- Ristic 25, Ayton 10, Small lineup (Pinder) 5
PF- Ayton 18, Pinder 7, Lee 12, Akot 3
SF- Alkins 28, Akot 12
SG- Trier 18, Randolph 18, 4 minutes for Smith/Barcello or possible to give more to Randolph or Akot
PG- PJC 28, Trier 12

Minutes distribution
Trier 30
Alkins 28
PJC 28
Ayton 28
Ristic 25
Randolph 18
Akot 15
Pinder 12
Lee 12
4= ?

In that scenario, Barcello and Smith are the odd men out with only 4 minutes to fight for. I see Pinder seeing the floor for more than 12 minutes to be honest, but those probably have to come at the expense of Lee, who Miller will want to continue to develop for low post depth alone. Akot and Randolph seem light at 15 and 18 minutes, respectively, but who are more minutes coming from? Will be really interesting to see how competent Barcello can be for some backup minutes at the 1. As is, in a 9 man rotation you can give those four minutes to any of Akot, Randolph, Pinder, and Lee. A 10-man rotation will be too crowded and too hard to manage IMO.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I thought their was talk about Pinder using a redshirt year. He then could log more minutes in 18-19
Last edited by azcat49 on Wed May 24, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Barcello and Smith can shoot, but I'd venture their PT is going to be much more dependent on the other areas of their game. Mainly defense and for Barcello, ballhandling.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote:I thought their was talk about Pincer using a redshirt year. He then could log more minutes in 18-19
I think that idea disappeared along with Comanche. Pinder will probably never get more than 10-12 minutes here anyways. Shareef and Lee will limit his time in 18-19.

Keanu is just not going to be more than a spot minutes guy with the level of talent we're bringing in.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

rgdeuce wrote:
We will see how things shake up. As of right now I'd be hesitant to throw out anyone. You probably need both Pinder and Lee. I'd say Akot is the wildcard who may make Lee a candidate to redshirt, but at 190 lbs, is Akot physically ready for a college 4? Rule out Akot as a redshirt, hes a kid that I see developing into something very nice come March and he didn't reclassify to sit on the bench anyhow. Smith seems like the odd man out, but he sat out last year. Barcello we are just going to have to see how the Trier at the 1 looks, how PJC is playing, if someone else can emerge as a guy to fill in that role. And who knows, he could really surprise people and be "competent" doing the minimum as long as he has the right guys around him (like PJC as a frosh with that great squad around him).

Really rough and not putting much thought into it because I really have no clue. This is early season, Id expect things to look different in January.
C- Ristic 25, Ayton 10, Small lineup (Pinder) 5
PF- Ayton 18, Pinder 7, Lee 12, Akot 3
SF- Alkins 28, Akot 12
SG- Trier 18, Randolph 18, 4 minutes for Smith/Barcello or possible to give more to Randolph or Akot
PG- PJC 28, Trier 12

Minutes distribution
Trier 30
Alkins 28
PJC 28
Ayton 28
Ristic 25
Randolph 18
Akot 15
Pinder 12
Lee 12
4= ?

In that scenario, Barcello and Smith are the odd men out with only 4 minutes to fight for. I see Pinder seeing the floor for more than 12 minutes to be honest, but those probably have to come at the expense of Lee, who Miller will want to continue to develop for low post depth alone. Akot and Randolph seem light at 15 and 18 minutes, respectively, but who are more minutes coming from? Will be really interesting to see how competent Barcello can be for some backup minutes at the 1. As is, in a 9 man rotation you can give those four minutes to any of Akot, Randolph, Pinder, and Lee. A 10-man rotation will be too crowded and too hard to manage IMO.
I mean it depends solely on the other team and what they play at the 4 if Akot at 190lbs can physically play it. In pros of course not, but in college numerous teams play guys his size at the 4. Akot at the 4 plays when we need to play faster or the other team has a big time athlete at the 4 that requires another big time athlete to defend him. Akot has a great frame to put on weight, so by the time the season comes around he's not going to be 190lbs anyways. Time will tell, but Akot's presence probably means you don't need both Pinder and Lee (barring an injury). Either way as you mentioned the clear question is who the hell is getting minutes at the 1 when Parker is out?
prh

Post by prh »

rgdeuce wrote:Rule out Akot as a redshirt, hes a kid that I see developing into something very nice come March and he didn't reclassify to sit on the bench anyhow.
Just as a thought experiment, would Akot develop better by dominating HS ball or by redshirting at Arizona? He'd lose game action, but he'd be battling much better talent day in and day out.

I agree that he's not he as a redshirt, but it wouldn't seem like the worst decision. He wasn't going to use a redshirt if he came next year (fingers crossed for injury), so it's not like he's really losing anything if he did redshirt.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

prh wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Rule out Akot as a redshirt, hes a kid that I see developing into something very nice come March and he didn't reclassify to sit on the bench anyhow.
Just as a thought experiment, would Akot develop better by dominating HS ball or by redshirting at Arizona? He'd lose game action, but he'd be battling much better talent day in and day out.

I agree that he's not he as a redshirt, but it wouldn't seem like the worst decision. He wasn't going to use a redshirt if he came next year (fingers crossed for injury), so it's not like he's really losing anything if he did redshirt.
IMO live game play is always the best route for development. He's ready to play at this level too, so it's a no brainer.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If Trier and/or Akot can run point at times, as Miller believes, we're going to be in great shape next season.

I'm also among the minority who believe PJC will deserve to start next season; he can be a starter for a FF team.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
prh wrote:

IMO live game play is always the best route for development. He's ready to play at this level too, so it's a no brainer.
This. Especially with Zo and Rawle, he won't be a starter, but he's too good not to get minutes. This way, he gets to develop at his own pace and get further than he ever could in HS. I seriously doubt he cares about a RS because he has enough talent where we're not expecting 4 years of him.

I could not agree more that live action is the best route for development. Even blowout time against GCU is better for Akot than HS play.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:If Trier and/or Akot can run point at times, as Miller believes, we're going to be in great shape next season.

I'm also among the minority who believe PJC will deserve to start next season; he can be a starter for a FF team.
I don't know if you are in the minority in believing PJC can start for a FF team. He has weaknesses, mostly defensively, that were at times fatal with our less than stellar defense behind him. Since he didn't have the quickness to make the ball handler uncomfortable and pushed out beyond the normal offense start point, he was easily bumped aside or driven past with a simple screen or sometimes straight up, and our big men were slow to rotate. If he switched and someone got low enough, he was an easy post up. But offensively, he is capable, with the talent we have around us, of running the show adequately, if not spectacularly. This team was good enough with him last year to go to a FF, and it still is. That he is the weakest player on the floor with our starters cannot really be disputed, but if our defense behind him has improved by personnel change as much as it appears, that is mitigated, he can be free to step out of the packline a bit and go for steals (seniors have a better feel for passing lane step-throughs by and large...they have seen the game from floor level a lot to know when to go and when to hold and seem to get more leash from Miller in the packline), and if he gets in trouble, help defense will be better. On the offensive side, Parker is a very capable senior PG. He isn't all conference, but he is capable on that end. The problem, especially the last two years, with PJC in the game was our perimeter defense was a sieve at times at multiple points, and the help D was slow. I see Ayton as cleaning up a lot of dribble penetration, and I think Rawle will be much better at knowing when to drop and help from his position. It is still a problem, but every team in the country has a weakness...it is how you build around the weakness.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

EVCat wrote: That he is the weakest player on the floor with our starters cannot really be disputed, but if our defense behind him has improved by personnel change as much as it appears, that is mitigated, he can be free to step out of the packline a bit and go for steals (seniors have a better feel for passing lane step-throughs by and large...they have seen the game from floor level a lot to know when to go and when to hold and seem to get more leash from Miller in the packline), and if he gets in trouble, help defense will be better. On the offensive side, Parker is a very capable senior PG. He isn't all conference, but he is capable on that end. The problem, especially the last two years, with PJC in the game was our perimeter defense was a sieve at times at multiple points, and the help D was slow.
I think sometimes we fantasize about a "perfect team" with no "weakest player." But every FF team/NC champion has one guy in the starting lineup who isn't quite the player as the other four. PG is a crucial position, yes, which is why there's a lot of concern about whether PJC can be "good enough" next season.

The rest of your post is full of good points. PJC can be effective in the exact ways you're describing, largely because the team around him is so talented and deep next season.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that PJC is all conference next year. If he can post solid APG, A/TO, FG%, and FT% numbers next year, which is not unrealistic given how he played down the stretch last season, then he'll be solidly among the best PGs in the league. He'll never be TJ, but we may not need him to be.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

PJC is good for what this team has. His experience and pass first attitude is good for a team with 5 star guys all around him. A better pg might be a detriment to the rest of the team and chemistry. The team has enough slashers and defenders to make up for the weaknesses of PJC and there are enough passers to take him out if he is costing the team a L in a game which was not Xavier.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:PJC is good for what this team has. His experience and pass first attitude is good for a team with 5 star guys all around him. A better pg might be a detriment to the rest of the team and chemistry. The team has enough slashers and defenders to make up for the weaknesses of PJC and there are enough passers to take him out if he is costing the team a L in a game which was not Xavier.
I could not disagree more that a better pg would be a detriment. You can be better without taking from chemistry. Being a better defender does not hurt chemistry. Being better does not equate to being more selfish.

I do agree the operative question is whether the remaining players are good enough to take the team where it wants to go. Against the big boys, PJC's contribution needs to be defined in terms of not derailing what Zo, Rawle, Ayton and the rest are doing.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Against the big boys, PJC's contribution needs to be defined in terms of not derailing what Zo, Rawle, Ayton and the rest are doing.
When has PJC derailed what his teammates we're doing?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:PJC is good for what this team has. His experience and pass first attitude is good for a team with 5 star guys all around him. A better pg might be a detriment to the rest of the team and chemistry. The team has enough slashers and defenders to make up for the weaknesses of PJC and there are enough passers to take him out if he is costing the team a L in a game which was not Xavier.
I could not disagree more that a better pg would be a detriment. You can be better without taking from chemistry. Being a better defender does not hurt chemistry. Being better does not equate to being more selfish.

I do agree the operative question is whether the remaining players are good enough to take the team where it wants to go. Against the big boys, PJC's contribution needs to be defined in terms of not derailing what Zo, Rawle, Ayton and the rest are doing.
I didnt watch the Butler game but at no point did I ever think PJC any reason why U of A lost to UCLA, Oregon or Xavier. Do we need to win every game by 25 to have you satisfied?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Against the big boys, PJC's contribution needs to be defined in terms of not derailing what Zo, Rawle, Ayton and the rest are doing.
1-5 for 5 points against Xavier would be a starting point. Now, we had other issues in that game, and it is not on him alone by a long shot, but he was a net negative in that game.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
1-5 for 5 points against Xavier would be a starting point. Now, we had other issues in that game, and it is not on him alone by a long shot, but he was a net negative in that game.
Fair enough. He did only take 5 shot, but yeah, even 2 or 3 for 5 would've gotten us a win. Hopefully, Parker can become slightly better FG%-wise next season and can also improve at finding AT and DR at critical moments of the game. He's close, but you're right, we need him performing at a higher level to kick down that FF door. I think he'll get there.
prh

Post by prh »

TIL that having better players is bad for a team
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

prh wrote:TIL that having better players is bad for a team
It's a bold strategy, Cotton.

We should shake things up and rely on PJC's rim protection and Dusan's ball pressure a bit. No one will expect that.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Defense is the issue. So, yeah, while a gunner All American scoring PG would potentially derail this team, a highly rated pass-first PG who is less of a defensive liability/a defensive help would be an upgrade.

So, really, we aren't talking about "a higher rated player would derail..." A specific type of higher rated player might. There are a lot of ways we could upgrade the PG position if we could do it again. But we are here, PJC has improved from year to year, and certainly, with this squad, I do not feel any trepidation about him running the offense. To me, it always comes down to the defensive mismatch due to size and the lack of pure quickness to mitigate the size issue. But I do feel that is something we can live with and thrive under if the rest of the team has improved defensively. The last couple of years, dribble penetration was not just a PJC thing...it was virtually everywhere. Even Kadeem had issues at times stopping players off the bounce. But if we can shore up the wings, it will be MUCH harder for teams to exploit PJC, as the packline is devised for just this reason, to allow a number of player help options within the space under the line. This is where the packline earns its keep...if your wings are long and quick and can get to the shooters on 3s, then they can stay in the box and help out on dribble penetration.

For this to be a reality, however, Zo has to defend better. There is one particular play vs Xavier that haunts me, where they ran their white dude off a simple curl action from baseline to a screen at the 3nd block left, curl into the paint. Zo was the defender...he jogged behind the run on the baseline, and when the kid broke up toward the top just outside the lane, the screener didn't even catch Zo...but he literally took two stumble-jog steps like you see from a middle age fat guy with a headband who completes a mile run, let the player curl unabated, with Zo 4 steps behind. The pass came to the curl, and the white dude took one dribble toward the basket, now in the middle of the lane, Chance stepped to him to stop ball, and he dropped the world's easiest dime to Chance's guy, who dunked it while Zo jogged beneath him. If this happens...fuck PJC's issues, we are gonna get killed from two spots on the perimeter and you can bet an active shot blocker/raw defender like Ayton will rack up foul after foul. Everyone has to play defense for 40 minutes...not just everyone focus on PJC's issues. At least PJC is fighting his ass off to not be the weakness...

That was the moment I went into my two day "go ahead, leave" funk about Zo before shaking out of it...
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

EVCat wrote:Defense is the issue. So, yeah, while a gunner All American scoring PG would potentially derail this team, a highly rated pass-first PG who is less of a defensive liability/a defensive help would be an upgrade.

So, really, we aren't talking about "a higher rated player would derail..." A specific type of higher rated player might. There are a lot of ways we could upgrade the PG position if we could do it again. But we are here, PJC has improved from year to year, and certainly, with this squad, I do not feel any trepidation about him running the offense. To me, it always comes down to the defensive mismatch due to size and the lack of pure quickness to mitigate the size issue. But I do feel that is something we can live with and thrive under if the rest of the team has improved defensively. The last couple of years, dribble penetration was not just a PJC thing...it was virtually everywhere. Even Kadeem had issues at times stopping players off the bounce. But if we can shore up the wings, it will be MUCH harder for teams to exploit PJC, as the packline is devised for just this reason, to allow a number of player help options within the space under the line. This is where the packline earns its keep...if your wings are long and quick and can get to the shooters on 3s, then they can stay in the box and help out on dribble penetration.

For this to be a reality, however, Zo has to defend better. There is one particular play vs Xavier that haunts me, where they ran their white dude off a simple curl action from baseline to a screen at the 3nd block left, curl into the paint. Zo was the defender...he jogged behind the run on the baseline, and when the kid broke up toward the top just outside the lane, the screener didn't even catch Zo...but he literally took two stumble-jog steps like you see from a middle age fat guy with a headband who completes a mile run, let the player curl unabated, with Zo 4 steps behind. The pass came to the curl, and the white dude took one dribble toward the basket, now in the middle of the lane, Chance stepped to him to stop ball, and he dropped the world's easiest dime to Chance's guy, who dunked it while Zo jogged beneath him. If this happens...fuck PJC's issues, we are gonna get killed from two spots on the perimeter and you can bet an active shot blocker/raw defender like Ayton will rack up foul after foul. Everyone has to play defense for 40 minutes...not just everyone focus on PJC's issues. At least PJC is fighting his ass off to not be the weakness...

That was the moment I went into my two day "go ahead, leave" funk about Zo before shaking out of it...
I don't think anyone here believes that Trier is PAC12 All Defense. We just understand that he makes up for it on the other end by being a great offensive player. PJC does not. The word "adequate" comes to mind about PJC's offensive game in terms of this team having Final Four aspirations. Adequate doesn't make up for his deficiencies on the other end. I also hope he proves me/most of this board's posters wrong. Bear Down
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Heres to hoping this team does well against the zone. Facing man to man offenses makes PJC more valuable and opens up a lot of things to him. PJC made strides on defense last year and I expect the same this season. Hopefully that and someone emerging as a good option to handle the Backup PG role will mitigate the size issues. My biggest concern w him has always been where his head is at. He's a senior and has played with several seniors who were positive examples of how a senior handles things. Hopefully that pushes the mental game up another tick and help w keeping his head in the game and being a leader night in and night out
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Anybody for some cornhole?

EVCat

Post by EVCat »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:
EVCat wrote:Defense is the issue. So, yeah, while a gunner All American scoring PG would potentially derail this team, a highly rated pass-first PG who is less of a defensive liability/a defensive help would be an upgrade.

I don't think anyone here believes that Trier is PAC12 All Defense. We just understand that he makes up for it on the other end by being a great offensive player. PJC does not. The word "adequate" comes to mind about PJC's offensive game in terms of this team having Final Four aspirations. Adequate doesn't make up for his deficiencies on the other end. I also hope he proves me/most of this board's posters wrong. Bear Down
I don't believe you "make up" for not giving effort on defense by scoring 17 a night. So in that respect, Zo just needs to buckle down. What I spoke of was not ability, but lack of focus on the defensive end. If he wants to make that hop to the NBA, he will use whatever skills he has defensively to the best of his ability.

I feel PJC's offensive game is above adequate, and his defense is what causes him to be a liability out there. But Zo and he are different players, whose needs to improve in areas are independent of each other and have nothing to do with each other. PJC may be adequate, but Zo still needs to figure out his effort on the D side regardless of how many points he scores, which likely will decrease this season with additional weapons.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Beachcat97 wrote:When has PJC derailed what his teammates we're doing?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Apologize if already posted, but Gary Parrish agrees we have something special here and hes usually a d head.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... -duke/amp/" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

rgdeuce wrote:Apologize if already posted, but Gary Parrish agrees we have something special here and hes usually a d head.

So does Myron Medcalf on espn today.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Hey beach, can you post the Medcalf link? Would be interested to read.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Or if any of them are good enough to take the PG role and take the team to where it wants to go. If he is, indeed, a liability on either end, or both, then you play a better guard and run motion, where it doesn't matter so much who brings up the ball and initiates. (See: The Celtics and their current adjustment).

But if it is Parker at the beginning and throughout the season and he is a liability, it will be an indicator that the other guards have holes in their games. Kadeem Allen started. If Parker starts, it means the others aren't as versatile as Allen. If I'm a guard hoping to go the league and have borderline size, I'm honing my PG skills every day. Better handle. Mastering pick and roll (offensively and defensively). When to push, when to run a play. How to get teammates involved.

My atttiude: "Kadeem started. So can I!"
Right where I want to be.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

CalStateTempe wrote:Hey beach, can you post the Medcalf link? Would be interested to read.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... rly-top-25" target="_blank
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I think there is way too much obsessing about Parker Jackson-Cartwright. He is an adequate player at this level, and most teams have one of those. I know how it happens...everyone starts talking about it and it becomes true. I am not saying by any stretch that PJC isn't the weakest player on the floor with our projected starting team. But he isn't a dribble-off-the-leg idiot who can't shoot or pass. He is just small, and it makes him susceptible to getting busted on the defensive end. He isn't a lack of effort player, has moments when he is our most reliable outside shooter, and has above average handle. He is also a senior.

Yeah, he is the "weakest" of the guys on the floor. But we are way over-obsessing about him...he may just be our best option with the ball at point, even if the other guards develop. There is a big difference between where he actually is (a good handle guard with an above average shooting percentage last year who can dish, but can be taken advantage of defensively) and where he is being portrayed on this board by some (worthless mess who is an instant loss)
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

rgdeuce wrote:Apologize if already posted, but Gary Parrish agrees we have something special here and hes usually a d head.

This link has that AMP BS on the end. Just a regular link

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basket ... r-uk-duke/
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:I think there is way too much obsessing about Parker Jackson-Cartwright. He is an adequate player at this level, and most teams have one of those. I know how it happens...everyone starts talking about it and it becomes true. I am not saying by any stretch that PJC isn't the weakest player on the floor with our projected starting team. But he isn't a dribble-off-the-leg idiot who can't shoot or pass. He is just small, and it makes him susceptible to getting busted on the defensive end. He isn't a lack of effort player, has moments when he is our most reliable outside shooter, and has above average handle. He is also a senior.

Yeah, he is the "weakest" of the guys on the floor. But we are way over-obsessing about him...he may just be our best option with the ball at point, even if the other guards develop. There is a big difference between where he actually is (a good handle guard with an above average shooting percentage last year who can dish, but can be taken advantage of defensively) and where he is being portrayed on this board by some (worthless mess who is an instant loss)
I don't disagree with anything you said.

I just worry that the weakest player on the court is the one who can most easily cost us a game when he has to play a big role. I would LOVE Parker as a backup pg. Why I get worried is that he is the shakiest starter we hage and we have the fewest options at his position.

None of that should be a shot at Parker. Being a rotation player at a national championship contender, which he has been every year (except when we weren't NC contenders in 15-16) is huge success as a basketball player. I would have been lucky to have that ability.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Lots of media folks are ranking us pre season #1... I don't know what to think of that
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
EVCat wrote:I think there is way too much obsessing about Parker Jackson-Cartwright. He is an adequate player at this level, and most teams have one of those. I know how it happens...everyone starts talking about it and it becomes true. I am not saying by any stretch that PJC isn't the weakest player on the floor with our projected starting team. But he isn't a dribble-off-the-leg idiot who can't shoot or pass. He is just small, and it makes him susceptible to getting busted on the defensive end. He isn't a lack of effort player, has moments when he is our most reliable outside shooter, and has above average handle. He is also a senior.

I don't disagree with anything you said.

I just worry that the weakest player on the court is the one who can most easily cost us a game when he has to play a big role. I would LOVE Parker as a backup pg. Why I get worried is that he is the shakiest starter we hage and we have the fewest options at his position.

None of that should be a shot at Parker. Being a rotation player at a national championship contender, which he has been every year (except when we weren't NC contenders in 15-16) is huge success as a basketball player. I would have been lucky to have that ability.
that's true...he is the most likely to cost us a game, if anyone is going to. Or it could be Zo going Zo and turning into a black hole. But PJC would be the most vulnerable without a doubt. But no team is perfect. We are better if we have 2s that can take the pressure off of him. Of if somehow Alex is ready for this level (from a personal point of view, I really hope so as I have been watching that kid shoot at playground hoops or game hoops for 13 years). But if we have to go PJC, I feel better this year than I would have at the beginning of last year. I thought he slayed a few demons (road play, shooting consistency) last year. But I fear his ankles...I fear NOT having him more than I fear having him.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Alieberman wrote:Lots of media folks are ranking us pre season #1... I don't know what to think of that
"Embrace the Target" Joe Maddon and the 2016 Cubs

I will never understand why people want a #1 team don't want to be the #1 team.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

PHXCATS wrote:
Alieberman wrote:Lots of media folks are ranking us pre season #1... I don't know what to think of that

As a lifelong AZ basketball and Cubs baseball fan, I have been let down more than the average fan!
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Alieberman wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

As a lifelong AZ basketball and Cubs baseball fan, I have been let down more than the average fan!
As have I, and the target on the back of the Cubs made it that much sweeter for me when they pulled it off in November.

I get it that people dont want to get their hopes up and then have it ripped out, but you cannot want better point guards than PJC when you have five stars all around him and then say that flying under the radar is better. Embrace the target or embrace PJC and other 4 star players because if you recruit you get the target and rightfully so.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Being ranked anywhere in the top 5 is terrific for our program. #1 just means more hype, more press, more attention. I'll take it.

Miller won't let it go to our guys' heads.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

It's good PR for the program. It has no effect on the outcome of the year.

That's what I think at least.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Haters! As always. Just setting us up, so they can knock us down.

(If rated lower)

Haters!

Bottom line: Haters!

8-)
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Beachcat97 wrote:Miller won't let it go to our guys' heads.
I agree with all the kids coming back. But we don't know about the freshmen. Kobi & Chance are two very recent examples & there are plenty more - where Coach can do & say whatever he wants - they had/have different objectives & thought processes that aren't going to change. But if the top three freshmen are on board like the rest of the team - I agree with you - the team will be just fine with the spotlight/target.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:
I agree with all the kids coming back. But we don't know about the freshmen. Kobi & Chance are two very recent examples & there are plenty more - where Coach can do & say whatever he wants - they had/have different objectives & thought processes that aren't going to change. But if the top three freshmen are on board like the rest of the team - I agree with you - the team will be just fine with the spotlight/target.
Good point. Miller can hope. He can encourage. But he can't guarantee the appropriate response.

If he could, we wouldn't have to watch these gut-wrenching, living-room destroying games.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:
Well, obviously Ayton is one and done. So like Lauri and Stanley and Aaron before him, he's got one year to do something special for the program. I expect a big year from him.

Akot is probably a slight chance to be one and done, particularly if his play and minutes improve over the course of the season.

BR, IL, AB...these guys are multiple year players, so I expect them to be thinking big-picture, as in they've gotta train hard, practice hard, and make the most of whatever floor time they see in 2017-18.

Our lineup is pretty stacked 1-8:

PJC
AT
RA
DA
DR
EA
DS
KP

We'll have to see if the team can go 10 deep. Hope so.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I like the #1 ranking and I agree it is great PR for the program. We didn't have that for either of the TJ McConnell teams, or last year. Not like flying under the radar has gotten us over that tournament hump in recent memory.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

We were AP preseason #1 in 1997-98 (understandably), 2000-01, and 2002-03.

One of those three got to the Final Four. Proving, again, that one game is really, really hard.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

It seems like this is the composite top 5 w a few transfers and Bowen left to fall into place :

Zona
KU
Sparty
UK
Duke

Seems about right.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Top Duos for Next Year
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... basketball
DeAndre Ayton & Allonzo Trier, Arizona Wildcats
Sean Miller's squad could enter 2017-18 ranked first in every reputable poll with Trier, a preseason Pac-12 player of the year candidate, and Ayton, ranked second in the 2017 class by ESPN.com. Trier thrived after missing most of last season due to a suspension by the NCAA. He's back to bulk up impressive numbers from a year ago -- 17.2 PPG, 39.1 percent from the 3-point line -- before his pro career begins. Ayton, an ambitious and aggressive big man, will help Trier and Arizona with his ability to attack at all levels of the floor.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

threenumberones wrote:Top Duos for Next Year
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... basketball
DeAndre Ayton & Allonzo Trier, Arizona Wildcats
Sean Miller's squad could enter 2017-18 ranked first in every reputable poll with Trier, a preseason Pac-12 player of the year candidate, and Ayton, ranked second in the 2017 class by ESPN.com. Trier thrived after missing most of last season due to a suspension by the NCAA. He's back to bulk up impressive numbers from a year ago -- 17.2 PPG, 39.1 percent from the 3-point line -- before his pro career begins. Ayton, an ambitious and aggressive big man, will help Trier and Arizona with his ability to attack at all levels of the floor.
You could sub Alkins in for Trier or Ayton.