Lorenzo Romar

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

NYCat

Lorenzo Romar

Post by NYCat »

CalStateTempe

Re: Lorenzo Romar

Post by CalStateTempe »

Hell yeah...strap in, the PAC 12 and NCAA is gonna get a boning.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

We're doubling down for a chipper next year. Awesome
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Totally win-win. Miller gets Romar's recruiting skills and Romar can rehab his image and come out ready for the big time in a few seasons.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Maybe he can help with Duval, but that's it for 2017. However, I drool over what our 2018 class could be with Romar doing his thing for a year.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Maybe he can help with Duval, but that's it for 2017. However, I drool over what our 2018 class could be with Romar doing his thing for a year.
Probably way too late for Duval, especially since he doesn't have a relationship with him prior. 2018 though...
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Maybe he can help with Duval, but that's it for 2017. However, I drool over what our 2018 class could be with Romar doing his thing for a year.
Immanuel Quickley has like 33% to Washington on 247, when Romar was there. Maybe he helps with him. Couldn't hurt right

http://247sports.com/Player/Immanuel-Quickley-85421" target="_blank

Think Fultz was originally from the DMV like Quickley. So maybe that's the connection.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

How real is this possibility? I can't think of a precedent. And you'd think if a coach got fired, he'd want to do just about anything other than be an assistant to another coach in his own conference. Try the NBA. Hell, be an assistant in Italy.
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

Did I miss something? Still just rumors at this point, right?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

fwiw
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:How real is this possibility? I can't think of a precedent. And you'd think if a coach got fired, he'd want to do just about anything other than be an assistant to another coach in his own conference. Try the NBA. Hell, be an assistant in Italy.
Saban is the best comparison, honestly.

It's not a bad idea. A few years as an assistant does more than immediately falling into a midmajor opening that you might dig a deeper hole. As a major assistant, you can pick a successful program to up your profile with a low downside, then jump when a good opening comes around, not just the first.

Or you can Kiffin it, make Saban mad and flee to a low level school in Florida with attractive coeds.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

On 1290 Scheer made it seem like a done deal
SirClinks

Post by SirClinks »

Wow that would be great.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Is Basnight out in his underwear over this?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I was amazed and thrilled to see that I actually meet one of the following minimum requirements for Associate/Assistant Coach, Men's Basketball at Arizona:

- At least three years of coaching experience at the college level or higher
- Knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations
- Possession of a valid driver’s license
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Longhorned wrote:I was amazed and thrilled to see that I actually meet one of the following minimum requirements for Associate/Assistant Coach, Men's Basketball at Arizona:

It might be two. I might guess you know NCAA rules and regulations as well as NCAA rules and regulations enforcement people (since they fairly constantly don't seem to know them at all).

I mean you can only be expected to know them as well as they do, right?

So we just need to get you some coaching experience. There are some resume writer types that can probably help with that.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

SCCats wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I was amazed and thrilled to see that I actually meet one of the following minimum requirements for Associate/Assistant Coach, Men's Basketball at Arizona:

It might be two. I might guess you know NCAA rules and regulations as well as NCAA rules and regulations enforcement people (since they fairly constantly don't seem to know them at all).

So we just need to get you some coaching experience. There are some resume writer types that can probably help with that.
"Daddy, who's that chubby little man in the tuxedo sitting next to Sean Miller?"

"That's Arizona's new Associate Head Coach, Longhorned."

"Daddy, why is he always touching his phone?"

"He's posting. That's what he does."
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SCCats wrote:

Does coaching include message board advice for actual coaches? If so, I feel like I'm hitting 3 for 3.

I have a valid DL. I know of NCAA rules and regulations and even could probably paraphrase the spirit of a few. I really like Sean Miller and have IBS if that matters.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Longhorned could throw his pizza across the floor like a gluttonous version of Bob Knight.
Last edited by RaisingArizona on Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

This just seems so wildly weird. In a way it makes sense for all parties involved but on the other hand it just seems so out of left field and unprecedented. I would have loved to hear the first phone call or read that first email or text. If you're Miller it takes a huge amount of balls to call up Romar and offer him a position thats by most measures way beneath him.
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

It looks like he was making 1.7 mil at UW. The most I could find an assistant getting in NCAA was someone at UK at 700k. If we hire Romar he has to be the highest paid assistant in the NCAA no?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

baconus66 wrote:It looks like he was making 1.7 mil at UW. The most I could find an assistant getting in NCAA was someone at UK at 700k. If we hire Romar he has to be the highest paid assistant in the NCAA no?
Doesn't UDub owe him about $3.2 million? He'll be OK.
-JB
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

To be fair it isn't that below Romar. He hasn't exactly set the world on fire recently. Missed the tournament 6 years in a row after going 6 of his first 9 seasons there.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Longhorned wrote:How real is this possibility? I can't think of a precedent. And you'd think if a coach got fired, he'd want to do just about anything other than be an assistant to another coach in his own conference. Try the NBA. Hell, be an assistant in Italy.
Jay John went from OSU head coach directly to an assistant job at Cal, not as high profile as Romar but a precedent non the less.

I personally would be most interested in Romar for his ability to actually coach a functional offense, that would be a welcome addition.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

gronk4heisman wrote: I personally would be most interested in Romar for his ability to actually coach a functional offense, that would be a welcome addition.
Watching UW the past few years, their offense consisted of pushing the ball up court quickly and jacking up a shot regardless if any teammates had worked into position for offensive rebounding. And people wonder why UW missed the NCAA tourney the last six years.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

gronk4heisman wrote:
Jay John went from OSU head coach directly to an assistant job at Cal, not as high profile as Romar but a precedent non the less.

I personally would be most interested in Romar for his ability to actually coach a functional offense, that would be a welcome addition.
Capel to Duke is similar
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zonagrad wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote: I personally would be most interested in Romar for his ability to actually coach a functional offense, that would be a welcome addition.
Watching UW the past few years, their offense consisted of pushing the ball up court quickly and jacking up a shot regardless if any teammates had worked into position for offensive rebounding. And people wonder why UW missed the NCAA tourney the last six years.
Thank you. In the Miller era, UW has had a better offense than Arizona twice: in 2009-10 and 2011-12, pretty unquestionably our two worst years. Lately they haven't been close.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

spoke to Lorenzo in the concourse yesterday and flat out said come to Arizona, the fans love you and we would be blessed to have you apart of the program.

reiterated his first class manor and what an outstanding man he is -- he was very positive and said:
"Ya'll got it going on down there, I would be the lucky one. I appreciate the kind words and let's see what happens"

i shook his hand one last time and said, we need you at Arizona, come to Arizona.

he said as we walked away, "I appreciate that, enjoy the game."
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

My son's boss, a UA alum, ran into Romar at the Final Four. He asked him if he was coming to UofA. He said Romar and his wife both gave him a thumbs up.
-JB
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

What restaurant I wonder
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

97cats wrote:spoke to Lorenzo in the concourse yesterday and flat out said come to Arizona, the fans love you and we would be blessed to have you apart of the program.

reiterated his first class manor and what an outstanding man he is -- he was very positive and said:
"Ya'll got it going on down there, I would be the lucky one. I appreciate the kind words and let's see what happens"

i shook his hand one last time and said, we need you at Arizona, come to Arizona.

Sounds like some of us love Romar more than we like Miller... I'll be thrilled if we get Romar as an assistant, but some of the love he's getting here is way over the top.

I can imagine the treatment Miller will get if he ever has a Romareasque turn... considering the ire he gets for winning P12 titles and making Elite 8's.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

97cats wrote:spoke to Lorenzo in the concourse yesterday and flat out said come to Arizona, the fans love you and we would be blessed to have you apart of the program.

Hey 97, you both are classy....well done sir, well done. Bear Down and thanks for that.....helped to lift my spirits a bit.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Harvey Specter wrote:

Sounds like some of us love Romar more than we like Miller... I'll be thrilled if we get Romar as an assistant, but some of the love he's getting here is way over the top.

I can imagine the treatment Miller will get if he ever has a Romareasque turn... considering the ire he gets for winning P12 titles and making Elite 8's.
To be fair, he's getting that love as a candidate for an assistant role under Sean Miller. If, god forbid, Miller ups and leaves us, Romar as the head coach candidate would get a significantly different response.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Puerco wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

To be fair, he's getting that love as a candidate for an assistant role under Sean Miller. If, god forbid, Miller ups and leaves us, Romar as the head coach candidate would get a significantly different response.
Might depend on who the other candidates are.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I found some mold on a piece of bread. It looked like Lorenzo Romar. Could it be a sign?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Chicat wrote:
Puerco wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Might depend on who the other candidates are.
You mean like Tim Floyd? Or like Lavin, Howland, or Sendek? Pastner?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

My first thought was Pastner vs. Romar.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:My first thought was Pastner vs. Romar.
I'm hoping that Miller's final year as AZ coach coincides with TJM being an up-and-coming, moderately experienced college coach. Maybe 10-15 years down the road.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:My first thought was Pastner vs. Romar.
It's unclear how Pastner v. Romar would be affected by Gorsuch's joining the Court.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

I'm disappointed, I wanted Lavar Ball
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
Thank you. In the Miller era, UW has had a better offense than Arizona twice: in 2009-10 and 2011-12, pretty unquestionably our two worst years. Lately they haven't been close.
And lately Washington has had no more than 1 or 2 starters who would sniff the court at Arizona, yet we are praising his recruiting because he hired the number 1 recruits dad? There are very few times the last 5 years in which my eyes did not feel Arizona's offensive production was far below their offensive talent. I can not say the same for UW under Romar, I feel their offensive production has far outweighed their weak talent level most years.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Thank you. You represented us well.

I've never been excited about an assistant coaching hire, but I never imagined one as great as this. UCLA should have hired Romar when they had the chance. Don't let the recent downslide fool you. Seattle talent comes and goes, and that contributes to the top Seattle recruits heading out of state and making the problem cyclical. Romar would kill it coaching elsewhere.

Most fun of all will be the new life added to "getting Romar'd"
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Harvey Specter wrote:

Sounds like some of us love Romar more than we like Miller... I'll be thrilled if we get Romar as an assistant, but some of the love he's getting here is way over the top..
The love is totally appropriate for him being an assistant. He'd be the home run of assistants.

I wouldn't mistake any of this for head coach love

And, again, in recruiting...he'd be a lead assistant. We could use his pipeline in the PAC NW....he isn't going to really help us get somewhere we aren't already. Just a wider selection. And, let's not act like such things don't matter to perception and some recruits...we'd be one pretty diverse staff for one with a Caucasian head coach...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
And lately Washington has had no more than 1 or 2 starters who would sniff the court at Arizona, yet we are praising his recruiting because he hired the number 1 recruits dad? There are very few times the last 5 years in which my eyes did not feel Arizona's offensive production was far below their offensive talent. I can not say the same for UW under Romar, I feel their offensive production has far outweighed their weak talent level most years.
What?

Fultz, Marquese Chriss, CJ Wilcox, Terrance Ross, Dejounte Murray, Quincy Pondexter, Justin Holiday and Isaiah Thomas are all NBA playes who graduated from UW from 2010 on. Last year, they had two players drafted in the first round, one lottery and we had zero picked in the whole draft.

I just don't understand the argument they have not had a good amount of talent.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

I would expect him to be a one and done but man, what a recruiting duo. Also, shows a lot of respect between two people to be on the opposite side and then willing to team up.
Beefcurtainsandwich

Post by Beefcurtainsandwich »

Does adding Romar get us access to any of UW's defecting 2017 players?