Lorenzo Romar

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Lorenzo Romar

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
psiclist23 wrote:I was gone this summer. Can anyone mention anything that Lorenzo has noticeably contributed so far? Getting him was such a coup.
They've been tight lipped.

Dusan said he's gotten specific coaching and feedback after each practice, after asking Romar for any tips.

Recruits have noted him impact - how great it is to have both Miller and Romar (I believe Williams noted that).

Trier has said it was a big factor in bringing him back and that just the godfather-like relationship he has with Romar will be helpful.

Miller noted something similar: that Romar just being Romar, being the person he is for the community and the players is important, as well as him thinking like a head coach and providing Miller feedback in game and throughout the season.

I know we're all thinking "hey they'll be big changes in Tucson!" but Miller is a successful coach - we've had excellent offensive efficiency under him. Maybe what Miller most needs is a calming presence in the locker room and on the bench. Another perspective and another voice (so that, for example, he's not flipping his shit on Zeus or burning his timeouts trying to explain to Ryan Anderson or Dusan or Kobi how to rotate on defense).

Maybe it's not a big change but rather that incremental extra something that Romar brings, and maybe that's just what we need.
Landing Romar is one of the incredibly impressive parts of Miller, IMO. A lot of coaches would be hesitant to allow for someone who would easily receive credit for success. Miller's decision to bring in Romar says a lot about Miller's goals, process and confidence.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

psiclist23 wrote:I was gone this summer. Can anyone mention anything that Lorenzo has noticeably contributed so far? Getting him was such a coup.
Have we ever had three 4/5 star recruits 14 months before the season starts? Could possibly go to 4 before this season even begins
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Landing Romar is one of the incredibly impressive parts of Miller, IMO. A lot of coaches would be hesitant to allow for someone who would easily receive credit for success. Miller's decision to bring in Romar says a lot about Miller's goals, process and confidence.
I deeply agree. I'm going to make a round about point now so bear with me....

Miller was asked about how he would rectify the demons of last season (essentially, how will this year be the year etc). He responded like a good coach: that we had a great season and we shouldn't lose our appreciation for winning the Pac-12 and the Pac-12 tourney and beating St Mary's to be in the S16.

He then noted that every coach thinks of the last game - no matter where it is in the season. Miller said he spoke with Mark Few and Dana Altman and they both talked about their last game... how if they'd changed this or that... basically you're never happy unless you win it all, so make sure to choose to be happy and put that game aside.

That's not the point I'm making though. The point is that he communicates openly, deeply, with excellent coaches. We know his relationship with Coach Cal and Thad Matta. He references Mark Few and Dana Altman (the two best coaches on the west coast). He brought Lorenzo Romar on board after speaking really highly of Romar for years.

All of that shows Miller's confidence.

Then I chuckle thinking of the time out that Miller called in Vegas and how little he thinks of Steve Alford and how Steve Alford probably talks to none of those guys because he's a fucking Sally. That makes me happy.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Alford's a loser. In more ways than one.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Then I chuckle thinking of the time out that Miller called in Vegas and how little he thinks of Steve Alford and how Steve Alford probably talks to none of those guys because he's a fucking Sally. That makes me happy.
He has zero to little respect for both LA coaches predominantly due to recruiting tactics among other reasons.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I've heard two things about Romar....

1) Everyone knows when he's in the building. He's got something about him that commands respect and has people seeking him out just to talk (basketball, life, etc).

2) He is to CSM as Bobbi was to Lute.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
He has zero to little respect for both LA coaches predominantly due to recruiting tactics among other reasons.
What can either current LA coach hang their hat on as a notable achievement? Offering scholarships to the entire Ball family? Getting the Galen Center more than half full on occasion?

Miller and Altman are the league's best coaches. And the two best recruiters are now on our sideline.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

We talk a lot about players' team chemistry, but the coaching staff is a team as well. Miller can come off as rigid but that's probably just his intensity, focus and planning. Getting Lorenzo and, even more than letting him be himself, desiring him to be himself, is an attribute in a head coach that elevates my respect for him even more. Synergistic chemistries; I can't wait!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Chicat wrote:I've heard two things about Romar....

1) Everyone knows when he's in the building. He's got something about him that commands respect and has people seeking him out just to talk (basketball, life, etc).

Lute had two Romars, Bobbi and Roz. One bad cop, two good cops.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Last season needs some perspective. The loss to Xavier unfortunately overshadows what a stellar season it was. Miller was without his leading returning scorer for more than half the season. He also lost Ray Smith right at the outset. Yet Arizona still managed to tie for the regular season crown, win the conference tourney AND beat UCLA 2 out of 3 times. The last win over UCLA was the icing on the cake for me, especially with Miller calling the TO to send the message that UCLA is in no way, shape or form one of the top two programs in the PAC 12.
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

ChooChooCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Choo could you dive a little deeper into this? Im super interested and always had this notion in my head. It is reassuring for my own opinions to hear it from you too.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Landing Romar is one of the incredibly impressive parts of Miller, IMO. A lot of coaches would be hesitant to allow for someone who would easily receive credit for success. Miller's decision to bring in Romar says a lot about Miller's goals, process and confidence.
I deeply agree. I'm going to make a round about point now so bear with me....

Miller was asked about how he would rectify the demons of last season (essentially, how will this year be the year etc). He responded like a good coach, that we had a great season and we shouldn't lose our appreciation for winning the Pac-12 and the Pac-12 tourney and beating St Mary's to be in the S16.

He then noted that every coach thinks of the last game though, no matter where it is in the season. Miller said he spoke to Mark Few and Dana Altman and they both talked about their last game... how if they'd changed this or that... basically you're never happy unless you win it all, so make sure to be make yourself be happy and put that game aside.

That's not the point I'm making though. The point is that he communicates openly, deeply, with some really excellent coaches. We know his relationship with Coach Cal and Thad Matta. He references Mark Few and Dana Altman (the two best coaches on the west coast). He brought Lorenzo Romar on board after speaking really highly of Romar for years.

All of that shows Miller's confidence to me.

One of the other things that this shows in Miller, IMO, is his ability to put aside any inclination to be a megalomaniac and forge a blend of talented people who come with personal agendas.

A coach more interested in control would never have considered Romar. A coach more interested in control would not embrace one and dones. Romar undoubtedly has a personal agenda of wanting to become a HC again. One and dones have the agenda of wanting to prep for the NBA.

Miller seems very forward in recognizing that he can incorporate talent into the team concept while allowing for individualized goals. It's very Calipari-like in the idea that a rising tide should lift all ships. If Romar pushes us to a national championship level, Romar sets himself up for a good HC job, Miller cements his place as an elite, elite coach, the program benefits immensely, players have their profile raised...bottom line, Romar's own goal can lead into a benefit for all.

Other, less secure coaches (btw, this goes for managers at every level) have a tendency to protect themselves by surrounding themselves with dependents. Miller's sought out people who don't need Sean Miller, and that shows a tremendous understanding of how to manage people and strive for the absolute best situation.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Chicat wrote:2) He is to CSM as Bobbi was to Lute.
Damn that's good.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Romar is a head coach.

It's not possible that he accepted this position with a promise of taking over within a certain # of years is it?

(Asking for a friend.)
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Alieberman wrote:Romar is a head coach.

It's not possible that he accepted this position with a promise of taking over within a certain # of years is it?

(Asking for a friend.)
How could Miller make that promise? No, Romar took the job because he was fired, Arizona is a heck of a layover destination while waiting for another HC position, and he gets to coach Allonzo Trier - effectively his godson.
gumby

Post by gumby »

He makes the team blueberry pancakes?
Right where I want to be.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

gumby wrote:

Apple-cinnamon

http://articles.latimes.com/2001/mar/31/sports/sp-45039
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Alieberman wrote:Romar is a head coach.

(Asking for a friend.)
How could Miller make that promise? No, Romar took the job because he was fired, Arizona is a heck of a layover destination while waiting for another HC position, and he gets to coach Allonzo Trier - effectively his godson.
An assistant coach loses zero games. Romar gets a solid position to build back some of the rep he's lost until a job he wants opens. Romar is making the smart move. Being an assistant can only help him and he gets to control his landing spot instead of rushing into it.

I mean, I assume Arizona would definitely be on the list of schools Romar would want to be an HC for, but there's no reason that conversation would have occurred yet.
gumby

Post by gumby »

UAEebs86 wrote:
gumby wrote:

Apple-cinnamon

http://articles.latimes.com/2001/mar/31/sports/sp-45039
{turns in fan card}
Right where I want to be.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

what a gift from heaven

if you're Sean Miller, who in the world would ya rather have by your side right now??

no one
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

97cats wrote:what a gift from heaven

if you're Sean Miller, who in the world would ya rather have by your side right now??

no one
True. Also, how much do you think Archie knows about the Book incident. Or doesn't know.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

no one
Mike Kryzyzweski. The only thing I'm certain about in this scandal is it will never impact Coach K.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

no one
Mike Kryzyzweski. The only thing I'm certain about in this scandal is it will never impact Coach K.
Hard not to be curious about what goes on in Durham, right? I get that K is a popular, successful coach and that guys wanna play for him. But the lesson of last week, to me at least, is that you don’t land multiple elite players without showing them the money. And Duke’s had as many of these stars as any program.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

no one
Hard not to be curious about what goes on in Durham, right? I get that K is a popular, successful coach and that guys wanna play for him. But the lesson of last week, to me at least, is that you don’t land multiple elite players without showing them the money. And Duke’s had as many of these stars as any program.
Remember 5-7 years ago when people were signalling the end of the K dominance and his recruiting had slipped... and then boom, back to number 1/2 classes fighting it out every year with Kentucky?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

no one
Anyone recruiting at an elite level is playing the game, and the game is fraught with dirt and slime. I don't think K is dirtier than most, and he might even be on the cleaner side of the spectrum, but he isn't clean.

The only time I get snippy about Duke and K is when people (Vitale) give you the fantasy world of his cleanliness.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://cfcpca.org/events/event/185/mens ... 2017-10-14" target="_blank

Men's Breakfast

October 14, 2017
7:30am – 9:00am

Location: 2150 E. Orange Grove Rd. (Sanctuary), Tucson, Arizona 85718

Category: Men's Ministry
MEN'S BREAKFAST WITH THE COACH, Lorenzo Romar, Assistant Head Coach at the University of Arizona. The breakfast will be located at Catalina Foothills Church in the Sanctuary on Saturday, October 14 at 7:30am. He will be presenting his Christian testimony. Come and share in our men's fellowship. A catered breakfast will be provided for free.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

nm error
Last edited by Longhorned on Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Jefe wrote:http://cfcpca.org/events/event/185/mens ... 2017-10-14

Men's Breakfast

October 14, 2017

MEN'S BREAKFAST WITH THE COACH, Lorenzo Romar, Assistant Head Coach at the University of Arizona. The breakfast will be located at Catalina Foothills Church in the Sanctuary on Saturday, October 14 at 7:30am. He will be presenting his Christian testimony. Come and share in our men's fellowship. A catered breakfast will be provided for free.
When will it feel normal seeing Romar do normal things in Tucson and at Arizona as though that were just normal?
Gato Salvaje

Post by Gato Salvaje »

Longhorned wrote:
Jefe wrote:http://cfcpca.org/events/event/185/mens ... 2017-10-14

Men's Breakfast

October 14, 2017

When will it feel normal seeing Romar do normal things in Tucson and at Arizona as though that were just normal?
I was on campus for one of my daughters swim meets (high school) last Saturday.
Romar cruised by me wearing a bright red Arizona shirt, bright red Arizona shorts, and bright red shoes. I would have liked to say something. At least “Hi Coach!” But nothing came out. My brain stopped working.
Normal is going to take a while for me at least
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

no one
Anyone recruiting at an elite level is playing the game, and the game is fraught with dirt and slime. I don't think K is dirtier than most, and he might even be on the cleaner side of the spectrum, but he isn't clean.

The only time I get snippy about Duke and K is when people (Vitale) give you the fantasy world of his cleanliness.
If things are done right, the coaches don't have to be dirty.

That's where Book fucked up
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

EVCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

no one

Well put. Coaches shouldn't take and hand out money.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

no one

If things are done right, coaches just have to ignore what is going on with their recruits.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

post two games, three things have floored me:

1) how Arizona pushes the ball and initiates early offense, even after made baskets -- looks so much like Washington, but with a more disciplined, under-control, and calculated approach...better/deeper talent doesnt hurt either.
2) how much Lorenzo Romar and Sean Miller communicate and talk
3) and the biggest, how much Lorenzo Romar stands and coaches along side Coach Miller, not only in timeouts but during the action. i have never seen anyone associated with Coach Miller dare to do this, the only one was Archie and he didnt come close to be as involved as Coach Romar has been so far.

the team looks loose and care free and clearly has been coached to push tempo and possession opportunities even after makes -- i give so much credit to Sean Miller for changing, he has realized what was continuing to be his mantra needed tinkering, and instead of just modifying on his terms, he checked his ego at the door and brought in someone with a different philosophy to strengthen the style of play, and increase confidence, both on and off the floor.

the Romar effect -- no question about it, its arrived in Tucson and is evident on the floor for the Wildcats
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

97cats wrote:post two games, three things have floored me:

1) how Arizona pushes the ball and initiates early offense, even after made baskets -- looks so much like Washington, but with a more disciplined, under-control, and calculated approach...better/deeper talent doesnt hurt either.
3) and the biggest, how much Lorenzo Romar stands and coaches along side Coach Miller, not only in timeouts but during the action. i have never seen anyone associated with Coach Miller dare to do this, the only one was Archie and he didnt come close to be as involved as Coach Romar has been so far.

the team looks loose and care free and clearly has been coached to push tempo and possession opportunities even after makes -- i give so much credit to Sean Miller for changing, he has realized what was continuing to be his mantra needed tinkering, and instead of just modifying on his terms, he checked his ego at the door and brought in someone with a different philosophy to strengthen the style of play, and increase confidence, both on and off the floor.

the Romar effect -- no question about it, its arrived in Tucson and is evident on the floor for the Wildcats
Yes. Yes. And Hell, Yes. Both the sideline and court behavior is more liberal than ever in the Miller era. To be willing to put process and outcome before ego is the hallmark of wisdom, and I find it remarkable that Miller has so evolved. I don't know much about Romar, but his ability to integrate, contribute and improve our game speaks to his wisdom as well. I hope the players retain this looseness against better opponents in important Conference challenges. I can only see what the camera deigns to show, but hopefully board members who go to the games will report on the subtle sideline interactions between Miller and Romar when things get intense. I want this relationship to last more than one season. Tall order that, but a guy can hope.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

beautiful thank you thank you thank you
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Agree, but a part of wants to wait how the team is when facing tougher competition. Will Miller revert back, or stay loose?

Think the Nova game will be the biggest test to this
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

NYCat wrote:Agree, but a part of wants to wait how the team is when facing tougher competition. Will Miller revert back, or stay loose?

Think the Nova game will be the biggest test to this
Kinda think the other Zo on the floor will have a lot to do with that. Trier, not only on court but in the press conferences, proceeds without hesitation, and I'm guessing he will take this new culture and stubbornly institute it in the heat of tough games. The younger kids will follow suit. Miller will be Miller: intense, demonstrative, emphatic and in charge, but I bet he doesn't yank back hard on the reins.

Yippie Ki Yay!

~ Wilhoit's Law
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

At the Red/Blue game Romar was coaching one side and Phelps the other. During time outs the Phelps coached kids were respectful, some were looking at him while he was talking but others were standing sideways and apparently paying less attention. The Romar coached kids, on the other hand, were all leaning in and apparently trying to hear his every word. Just one observation from the stands.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Not sure if it is exactly Romar related, but I have found it interesting that the Cats have been switching a lot of ball screens. I have to expect late in tight games, Miller would through a wrinkle in and they would switch screens. However, never seen the cats willing to switch early and often. Could also be contributing to our perceived ;) lack of defensive efficiency at the moment as the players learn to communicate switching in addition to Miller's traditional pack line scheme.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Frybry02 wrote:Not sure if it is exactly Romar related, but I have found it interesting that the Cats have been switching a lot of ball screens.
thx for the response, Frybry -- good to hear from you.

the switching of ball-screens has been a Miller staple as long as he's had the athletes.

when Gordon and Johnson and Jefferson were here Arizona switched every ball screen -- it was amazing.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

97cats wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:Not sure if it is exactly Romar related, but I have found it interesting that the Cats have been switching a lot of ball screens.
thx for the response, Frybry -- good to hear from you.

the switching of ball-screens has been a Miller staple as long as he's had the athletes.

when Gordon and Johnson and Jefferson were here Arizona switched every ball screen -- it was amazing.
Thanks 97. Always appreciate your commentary. Definteley makes it easier to switch when you have athletes all over the court.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Another reason why this team runs its best with Ristic off the floor. He doesn't roll with ball screens very fast.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote:3) and the biggest, how much Lorenzo Romar stands and coaches along side Coach Miller, not only in timeouts but during the action. i have never seen anyone associated with Coach Miller dare to do this, the only one was Archie and he didnt come close to be as involved as Coach Romar has been so far.
Definitely noticed this. I love it.

I wondered if perhaps CSM told Romar to concentrate on instructing certain players and he’d take the rest.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Nice to see the Cats run especially with the thoroughbreds they have. Not sure I've ever seen an Arizona assistant so actively involved during games. Having an assistant like Romar is a luxury few head coaches have.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Hope Lorenzo ain't a one and done.

~ Wilhoit's Law
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Been very happy with what he's done so far. Hope he does stay for a while since he is an asset to where we want to take the program.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

KaibabKat wrote:At the Red/Blue game Romar was coaching one side and Phelps the other. During time outs the Phelps coached kids were respectful, some were looking at him while he was talking but others were standing sideways and apparently paying less attention. The Romar coached kids, on the other hand, were all leaning in and apparently trying to hear his every word. Just one observation from the stands.
Thanks. Those of us that can't attend the games really appreciate those tidbits.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

Miller will still end up wanting his defense to be better. Obviously. He stated this in his post game press conference on Sunday, and no matter how much more offensive flow and tempo there is, he will still want guys defending at a high level. Hopefully that will come, because in the 1st half of both games, the defense has been pretty bad; sans the opponent knocking down some ridiculous, low percentage shots. However, it has been encouraging that the defense in the second half for both games has been much improved. Credit to the staff and players for making adjustments.

Just give me a top 5 offensive team and a top 15-20 defensive team, and I will be happy.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

You can also watch Romar on the sidelines watching Miller quite a bit. Absorbing.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:

You can also watch Romar on the sidelines watching Miller quite a bit. Absorbing.
Symbiosis is the desired effect. Romar had a rough end at UW, but has achieved a lot in success at a program that wasn't a traditional power. He had a great track record of developing NBA players.

Miller has also had a ton of success for a younger guy. People throw the Final Four knock at him hecause it is literally the only flaw in his resume.

They are both legit coaching talents. They can struggle against each other and draw us down or complement each other and drive the program to greater heights. Maybe I have rose colored glasses, but every sign so far points towards them blending well.