Really, Mr. Hansen?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

YoDeFoe

Re: Really, Mr. Hansen?

Post by YoDeFoe »

SabinoDrifter wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:54 am
Imagine Tommy Lloyd’s seven-man rotation stocked with players from Arizona and New Mexico, and Lloyd being able to spend more offseason time developing his players on campus, and with his wife and three children, than to spend much of the summer recruiting in Europe, scrolling the transfer portal, trying to keep up with Duke, Kansas and Carolina.
:lol:
Are you actually f-ing kidding me. It's legitimately insulting to have this guy get paid and published to talk about Arizona basketball.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheCat wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:39 am Hansen running down Sean again in this Sunday column. Says that he would be right for a job if he changed his community involvement, his demeanor and got better at X's and O's. He is a fucking tool. Hate him and because if Arizona basketball coaches (Lute and Sean) don't agree with him or cater to him he criticizes them.
Look, I like Lloyd but it's ridiculous how Hansen's treated Lloyd vs Miller.

Hansen wrote a story earlier about how Lloyd smiled more than Miller. I just see that as ridiculous. "He smiles a lot" is not anything I give two ****s about as a college coach.

After we lost to Houston, he did an article about how Lloyd's demeanor was the highlight of a memorable season. I like Lloyd, but Hansen just slobbers over what he even basically admits is glad handling. It's this ridiculously arrogant thjng where how a coach treats Hansen matters more than what a coach does for his actual players.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

What a hack.

RETIRE
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:56 am
SabinoDrifter wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:54 am
Imagine Tommy Lloyd’s seven-man rotation stocked with players from Arizona and New Mexico, and Lloyd being able to spend more offseason time developing his players on campus, and with his wife and three children, than to spend much of the summer recruiting in Europe, scrolling the transfer portal, trying to keep up with Duke, Kansas and Carolina.
:lol:
He didn't really write that, did he? (I don't want to give him any clicks)

New Mexico?
If it didn't bring up Utah it's a deep faked article.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
97cats

Post by 97cats »

when i have the heart to write about style i will, but as ridiculous as Hansen is, what hes trying to say and saying it in a very poor way is that AZ and its foreign style got mudrunned by a i-got-next punch-you-in-the-mouth i-got-no-future-in-this-game-beyond-today inner city American playground win-at-all-costs mentality in a game that was officiated in kind - Gonzaga too.

TCU almost got 'em first....

i know many around here will get upset at me but when i see trends i just point them out, favorable for AZ or not.

over a period of a five or seven game series Lloyd's style would overwhelm, adjust, and prevail - but in a single game setting the long play goes out the window.

pregame Houston was warming up as an organized group using striking pads to simulate live aggressive contact, banging each other with them on the boards and on post shot position and attempts while AZ had headphones on and doing some light shooting and stretching on their own time.

Mark Few is 0-9 against number one seeds since 1999 and 3-14 against teams ranked three seed or better with the last win against three seeded Utah in 2016.

sure is pretty in the regular season (all those seemingly easy wins) and thats what Lloyd did this season at Arizona, he deserves credit it was a marvelous regular season. Lloyd did in year one as his mentor Few did before him, and continues to do today in Spokane - delivering ELITE winning/fun/entertaining/pretty regular season basketball.

until otherwise proven wrong i sadly live in this space...
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

97cats wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:39 am when i have the heart to write about style i will, but as ridiculous as Hansen is, what hes trying to say and saying it in a very poor way is that AZ and its foreign style got mudrunned by a i-got-next punch-you-in-the-mouth i-got-no-future-in-this-game-beyond-today inner city American playground win-at-all-costs mentality in a game that was officiated in kind - Gonzaga too.

i know many around here will get upset at me but when i see trends i just point them out, favorable for AZ or not.

over a period of a five or seven game series Lloyd's style would overwhelm, adjust, and prevail - but in a single game setting the long play goes out the window.

pregame Houston was warming up as an organized group using striking pads to simulate live aggressive contact, banging each other with them on the boards and on post shot position and attempts while AZ had headphones on and doing some light shooting and stretching on their own time.

Mark Few is 0-9 against number one seeds since 1999 and 3-14 against teams ranked three seed or better with the last win again three seeded Utah in 2016.

sure is pretty in the regular season (all those seemingly easy wins) and thats what Lloyd did this season at Arizona, he deserves credit it was a marvelous regular season. Lloyd did in year one as his mentor Few did before him, and continues to do today in Spokane - delivering ELITE winning/fun/entertaining/pretty regular season basketball.

A couple of things. The zags have been in the championship game 2 out of the last 5 years. They had to beat the very teams you say they can't to get there. Two you have no idea what you are talking about on how Az. prepared for their game with Houston. You might be talking about the media session that all teams are required to do but you have no idea how they prepared in the HS gym the were practicing at. Hell they beat the team ranked number 2 at the start of the season by 20.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

TheCat wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:53 am
A couple of things. The zags have been in the championship game 2 out of the last 5 years. They had to beat the very teams you say they can't to get there. Two you have no idea what you are talking about on how Az. prepared for their game with Houston. You might be talking about the media session that all teams are required to do but you have no idea how they prepared in the HS gym the were practicing at. Hell they beat the team ranked number 2 at the start of the season by 20.
so, i have no idea. good analysis
go look at Gonzaga and who they've lost to and beat in the NCAA, it will surprise you, but maybe not, as you're all knowing.
Mark Few is 0-9 against #1 ranked teams - fact
Mark Few is 3-13 against teams ranked in the top three - fact
Mark Few has lost in the first or second round nine times - fact
Mark Few has advanced to the ELITE Eight or better four times since 1999 while compiling 630wins - fact

23 years and past the Sweet 16 only four times - that a lot of regular season wins for little NCAA return - at least for me

i dont want that at AZ - perhaps the person who knows it all (you) but not the person (me) who has no idea what hes talking about....perhaps we just want different things?

**of note: Lute Olson was 7-3 against number one seeds from 1980-2003 and lifetime 7-6
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:39 am when i have the heart to write about style i will, but as ridiculous as Hansen is, what hes trying to say and saying it in a very poor way is that AZ and its foreign style got mudrunned by a i-got-next punch-you-in-the-mouth i-got-no-future-in-this-game-beyond-today inner city American playground win-at-all-costs mentality in a game that was officiated in kind - Gonzaga too.

Mark Few is 0-9 against number one seeds since 1999 and 3-14 against teams ranked three seed or better with the last win again three seeded Utah in 2016.

He's right in the way that counts most. No clue whether it was practice or what, but Wright State, TCU and Houston all played us with an aggression and intensity we didn't match.

It doesn't matter how we prepared...it matters what the end product was. If Lloyd wanted to have the team do Big Wheel races in practice and we came out and matched the intensity of our opponents, I'd be fine.

As I've said before, it wasn't always like that. Early season, when Tennessee punched us in the mouth early, we fought back to lead late.

Lloyd deserves a ton of credit for this year. That said, there's also going to be the lingering question about why our energy and intensity weren't right later on and in the tourney. Lloyd's X's and O's were very good, but managing toughness and intensity...well, there are a lot of areas a coach much excel in.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

For example, in 2021 Gonzaga beat a 16-seed, an 8-seed, a 5-seed, and a 6-seed. And lost to 1-seed Baylor. They didn't beat any 1-3 seeds.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Mark Few is 0-9 against number one seeds since 1999 and 3-14 against teams ranked three seed or better with the last win against three seeded Utah in 2016.

Watching Houston vs Villanova and it was obvious what they had vs Houston and Arizona didn't. A PG. Gonzaga Pg play was also weak imo.

The tournament has always been about guard play. If we had Tyger Campbell we win that game easily.

Hard to win when Kerr has 20 or so FGs at the rim the whole year.
GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:37 pm

Watching Houston vs Villanova and it was obvious what they had vs Houston and Arizona didn't. A PG. Gonzaga Pg play was also weak imo.

The tournament has always been about guard play. If we had Tyger Campbell we win that game easily.

Kerr's ankle was killing him. He did a great job of trying to hide it, but just wasn't getting the "pop" off his shots like he was pre-injury. If he hit a couple of early 3s, that's a different ball game.

He does need to work on tightening up his handle under pressure though... more aggressive guards were jumping on him.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

That really will never be Kerr's game. He needs a floater to make the D respect his penetration, but he's unlikely to ever finish at the rim much and that's ok.

If I give anyone a pass for the tourney, it's Kerr. That was a nasty ankle injury, he had (at least) over a week of zero conditioning and I frankly think most players might not have been out there even for Houston.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:04 pm

That really will never be Kerr's game. He needs a floater to make the D respect his penetration, but he's unlikely to ever finish at the rim much and that's ok.

If I give anyone a pass for the tourney, it's Kerr. That was a nasty ankle injury, he had (at least) over a week of zero conditioning and I frankly think most players might not have been out there even for Houston.
He I think needs to play CG for us if we want to go deep into the tournament.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Anyone think our PG issue could lead to Boswell re-classifying? Or is time to let that dream die?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:09 pm Anyone think our PG issue could lead to Boswell re-classifying? Or is time to let that dream die?
I don't think a HS senior reclassing fixes our need for a back-up PG / penetrating guard. Maybe Adama Bal is that guy, maybe we need to go to the portal and get a one year rental again. Would still love to get Boswell here early, even if he doesn't see significant PT in his year zero here.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Longhorned wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:06 pm For example, in 2021 Gonzaga beat a 16-seed, an 8-seed, a 5-seed, and a 6-seed. And lost to 1-seed Baylor. They didn't beat any 1-3 seeds.
one win against a teams seeded three or hire over that spectacular span may just mean the tournament hasnt been that spectacular for Gonzaga but rather fortunate in who they play

#10 - West Virginia - WIN

#2 - Ohio State - LOSS

#16 - Southern - WIN

#9 - Wichita State - LOSS (Gonzaga = #1 Seed)

#9 - Oklahoma State - WIN

#1 - Arizona - LOSS

#15 - NDST - WIN

#7 - Iowa - WIN

#11 - UCLA - WIN

#1 - Duke - LOSS

#6 - Seton Hall - WIN

#3 - Utah - WIN one win in 10 years over top three seeded team

#10 - Syracuse - LOSS

#16 - SDST - WIN

#8 - Northwestern - WIN

#4 - West Virginia - WIN

#11 - Xavier - WIN

#7 - South Carolina - WIN

#1 - North Carolina - LOSS (Gonzaga = #1 Seed)

#13 - UNC Greensborough - WIN

#5 - Ohio State - WIN

#9 - Florida State - LOSS

#16 - Fairleigh Dickinson - WIN

#9 - Baylor - WIN

#4 - Florida State - WIN

#3 - Texas Tech - LOSS (Gonzaga = #1 Seed)

16 - Norfolk State - WIN

#8 - Oklahoma - WIN

#5 - Creighton - WIN

#6 - USC - WIN

#11 - UCLA - WIN

#1 - Baylor - LOSS (Gonzaga = #1 Seed)

#16 - Georgia State - WIN

#9 - Memphis - LOSS

#4 - Arkansas - LOSS (Gonzaga = #1 Seed)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So what are we saying?

We hired the wrong guy?

Don’t tell me that. I just fucking got on the bandwagon.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Yeah we went away from The Genius awfully fast...
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Don't think that's what he's saying, guys.
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAEebs86 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:11 pm Yeah we went away from The Genius awfully fast...
Nothing mutually exclusive about being a genius and coaching a team that gets beat on toughness.

We didn't lose to Houston because of strategy.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Style of play and current state of the game and how it is played and officiated in the tournament. The zag style might not be conducive to going deep in the tourney
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

azcat49 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:53 pm Style of play and current state of the game and how it is played and officiated in the tournament. The zag style might not be conducive to going deep in the tourney
Would you say the final 2 out of 5 years is not going deep?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Back to Hansen. He is a lying piece of shit. After his I talked to Book lie and quick walk back I researched the Arizona Star code of conduct/ethics for journalist and found many violations. I contacted the editor by email....pointed out each violation of their code of conduct and asked him to take action and to email me back with what that action was. Heard nothing. He is a POS and so our his kids. I use to read his Sunday piece religiously but wont now.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

The Star is a rag.
Most of their content is not their own, they are printed in Phoenix so nothing is printed the next day if it happens after 7 pm.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

UAEebs86 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:11 pm Yeah we went away from The Genius awfully fast...
no i love the Genius more than ever
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

TheCat wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:02 pm
azcat49 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:53 pm Style of play and current state of the game and how it is played and officiated in the tournament. The zag style might not be conducive to going deep in the tourney
Would you say the final 2 out of 5 years is not going deep?

I am sure we would all take that but it is so dependent on match ups with those physical, slow tempo limited possession type teams that 97 references above. Their record against higher seed, slug it out teams is not great.

I am not knocking Lloyd or the team but rather referencing the state of college ball and what seems to be effective in the tournament. I think many would agree we just were not the sane team in the dance. Maybe all our guys were sick?
Last edited by azcat49 on Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Postmaster wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:05 pm The Star is a rag.
Most of their content is not their own, they are printed in Phoenix so nothing is printed the next day if it happens after 7 pm.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Yes!!!

I can't believe it worked!!!

One of my favorite episodes of Seinfeld.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:28 pm Yes!!!

I can't believe it worked!!!

One of my favorite episodes of Seinfeld.
The press will bury him!
-JB
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

97cats wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:01 pm
go look at Gonzaga and who they've lost to and beat in the NCAA, it will surprise you, but maybe not, as you're all knowing.
Mark Few has advanced to the ELITE Eight or better four times since 1999 while compiling 630wins - fact

23 years and past the Sweet 16 only four times - that a lot of regular season wins for little NCAA return - at least for me

i dont want that at AZ - perhaps the person who knows it all (you) but not the person (me) who has no idea what hes talking about....perhaps we just want different things?

**of note: Lute Olson was 7-3 against number one seeds from 1980-2003 and lifetime 7-6
Your right you know more than all of college basketball especially coaches who had them ranked in the #1 spot all year. The Zags have only been considered a power for the passed 6-7 years. Out of all those 0-9 against #1 teams were they ranked the same or lower? Or did that escape your analysis. Under Coach Mark Few, Gonzaga is the only team that has reached the round of 16 in each of the last seven tournaments. Why not Duke, Kansas, Villanova or anyone else. In there many tournament appearances they have lost to a lower seeded team 8 times. Want to give Az record since Lute? How about Az record the last 6 years?
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

TheCat wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:14 pm

Your right you know more than all of college basketball especially coaches who had them ranked in the #1 spot all year. The Zags have only been considered a power for the passed 6-7 years. Out of all those 0-9 against #1 teams were they ranked the same or lower? Or did that escape your analysis. Under Coach Mark Few, Gonzaga is the only team that has reached the round of 16 in each of the last seven tournaments. Why not Duke, Kansas, Villanova or anyone else. In there many tournament appearances they have lost to a lower seeded team 8 times. Want to give Az record since Lute? How about Az record the last 6 years?
Why are you even on this board?

If you’re not here to join in conversation with fellow Arizona Basketball fans…(you’re constantly arguing).

If you aren’t here to gain hope for this program…(if taking this team in year 1 under Lloyd to a 1 seed and S16 doesn’t do that…I’m not sure what will…).

If you’re just out to be a negative personality and hope we don’t play well so that you can say “I told you so” at some future date… then your life is in a much darker place than mine and I pity you.
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

Well Miller's teams were all about toughness and basically opposite of Lloyd and we couldn't get it done with him either.

I think college basketball physicality and how they allow them to play is ridiculous. I was at the TN game in Knoxville dude they were fouling us on every play. Awful.

Playing in the Pac 12 and the WCC (for Zags) and the way those conferences are officiating may have something to do with that.

All I know is it is much more fun to watch Lute/Lloyd ball. And I loved rolling through our conference.

We need tougher guards. I love Kerr and I think him being hurt really affected our team. But he was a weakeness defensively most the year.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

The Zags/Few thing is weird, they really didn't start to recruit with the big boys until like 2019 with the Timme class. Then they started to get guys like Strawther, Stuggs etc

Around that time is when they became a big time program and not just a really good mid major.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Longhorned wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:06 pm

For example, in 2021 Gonzaga beat a 16-seed, an 8-seed, a 5-seed, and a 6-seed. And lost to 1-seed Baylor. They didn't beat any 1-3 seeds.
Must be the Zags fault they lost. What you didn't say was Gonzaga beat the teams that beat them. I will be happy if Arizona only comes out with the intensity and toughness to make the championship game. The weakling /poorly coached zags reached the title game as many times in the last 5 years as we at Az. have done in our history. Please let us be that weak.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I really do think you are missing the point here. Everyone would be very happy to get to two finals in 5 years. It’s more of where the style of play that is happening and being allowed in college basketball impacting the style we run.
Last edited by azcat49 on Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:00 pm
TheCat wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:14 pm

Why are you even on this board?

If you’re not here to join in conversation with fellow Arizona Basketball fans…(you’re constantly arguing).

If you aren’t here to gain hope for this program…(if taking this team in year 1 under Lloyd to a 1 seed and S16 doesn’t do that…I’m not sure what will…).

If you’re just out to be a negative personality and hope we don’t play well so that you can say “I told you so” at some future date… then your life is in a much darker place than mine and I pity you.
I'm not sure who you are talking too but my argument is the opposite of what you are saying. For someone to say we don't have a chance to win because the Zags haven't won a championship is bullshit. That is my argument. 97 CATS is saying our style wont win the big games. I was just pointing out he doesn't know that. While he points out the zags have rarely beat a 3 seed in the tourney, during the regular season they have beat teams ranked 1, 2 and 3. Anybody that saw the tourney game with Arizona that lasted 2 OT would not say they are not tough. I am very happy with the results this year. Like the style. Recruiting looks promising and having the coach of the year doesn't hurt in attracting portal guys.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

@Thecat.
I think you made their point.
The tournament is officiated differently than the regular season.

Even Pac12 refs were different in this tournament.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

What a total ass. Not that I expected him to change.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

He's just mad Utah State didn't get invited.
-JB
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Amazing how everyone falls for his game every single time
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Fuck that fucking cocksuker.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

The Conference of John Wayne. LOL
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:09 am The Conference of John Wayne. LOL
That’s definitely who I would identify as the face of the conference if I was eleventy million years old.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:09 am
dovecanyoncat wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:09 am The Conference of John Wayne. LOL
That’s definitely who I would identify as the face of the conference if I was eleventy million years old.
Yeah the guy with a John Wayne clock on the wall in his den is just the kind of guy who is livid that the PAC didn't stay together by means of an Apple TV streaming deal. I mean, non-linear OTT/VOD TV is mother's milk for that dude.

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:09 am
And racist homophobe.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Someone needs to take his typewriter away and break his friggin fingers. I think he must have some compromizing pictures of someone tha'st important at the Daily Star because that yoyo has been putting out garbage for years now and he's still there.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I’m so glad I never have to read his articles unless you guys post them.

And trust me when I say I hate when they are posted.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Typically twisted, misrepresented, and overstated to make the story better. Before adopting the stage name John Wayne, Marion Morrison (who never legally changed his name), played as a backup tackle for USC in 1925 and 1926. And that was in something called the Pacific Coast Conference, which included Idaho and Montana. Kind of hard to consider a backup in a league with Idaho and Montana as one of the faces of the Pac. He only achieved fame by the unrelated coincidence of becoming movie star. The Pac's traditional membership up though 1977 wasn't settled until 1964, when it was still called the AAWU. The name Pac-8 wasn't adopted until 1968. So the league was often changing and evolving through the years. The above takes five minutes to research on the internet. To try and assert that a relatively unknown backup at the time was some star player in an ancient and stable league which has now **tragically** ended is not accurate.