Really, Mr. Hansen?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

rgdeuce

Re: Really, Mr. Hansen?

Post by rgdeuce »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:I feel bad for his boys tbh. They stick up for him & take a beating/look almost silly for it. A buddy is a friend of one his kids & he says they're solid people - which makes sense. But man, Utah homer-ism is an odd hill to stake your flag on. Bizarro world.
The one whose name starts with a T is not that different from his daddy.
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

:lol:

Irish, you never fail us.

Unlike that hack Hansen...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

So this never happened?

http://www.tucsonsentinel.com/local/rep ... offs-loom/" target="_blank
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Scheer is publicly calling out Hansen for going against the family’s wishes and announcing Lute’s situation.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Chicat wrote:Scheer is publicly calling out Hansen for going against the family’s wishes and announcing Lute’s situation.
Especially that its well known that Hansen and Lute aren't friends. Its f**** that Greg would race to be the 1st with the story.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That F ing POS if true. One last dig with the pen hey Greg. What would propel a person to do such a thing
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Fuck Greg Hansen
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

What a piece of shit human being he is.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

PHXCATS wrote:Fuck Greg Hansen
Happy to agree with you.

Fuck Greg Hansen indeed.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

There were members of the Olson family that literally found out through that tweet. Disgusting.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Hansen is right down there with Martha McSally tonight. God, I never want to hear from these POSs again.
I think it's deleted already, but I screen-capped her Tweet.

What a dumb, uncaring person.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Fuck Greg Hansen AND Martha McSally
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Fuck him
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

So Hansen puts the news out there against the family's wishes but then has Bruce write the article about it? What a pathetic action by a pathetic man. Fuck you Hansen and Finley this action was fucked up and you allowed it. Shame on you for that.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:There were members of the Olson family that literally found out through that tweet. Disgusting.
I would go absolutely ballistic if I was trying to let all of my family know in a calm and respectful manner that our famous relative was very ill and some two-bit hack decided to just tweet it out to the world like it was his fucking news to break. If my loved ones found out through social media like that, I'd immediately be in Hansen's face to call him a piece of shit in person.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

At some point people need to hold The Daily Star accountable for keeping him on staff. The dude went on a Phoenix Radio station and lied about a source. That should have been it for him.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Wow. Did not see this blow up last night. Par for the course for Hansen. I was done with him a long time ago. Shame on him
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Fuck Hansen, worthless POS
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

UofAlum05 wrote:At some point people need to hold The Daily Star accountable for keeping him on staff. The dude went on a Phoenix Radio station and lied about a source. That should have been it for him.
Well, all the people at ESPN that defamed Arizona, Miller and Ayton are still employed as well. Journalism is dead.
prh

Post by prh »

Not Hansen but I don't want to bring down the Lute thread.

Why the fuck has the department not tweeted anything in tribute to him? This should have been prepared and ready to hit send.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

prh wrote:Not Hansen but I don't want to bring down the Lute thread.

Why the fuck has the department not tweeted anything in tribute to him? This should have been prepared and ready to hit send.
Looks they got out their social media tributes about 15 minutes after your post.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote:

Looks they got out their social media tributes about 15 minutes after your post.
They were all pre-made statements and they are all out now... they just weren't the one's salavating to break the news
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Alieberman wrote:
Chicat wrote:

They... they were all pre-made statements they are all out now... they just weren't the one's salavating to break the news

Kind of sad that Goodman of all people appears to have been first.
-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Goodman breaking it sucks. Would have been worse though if it was Vitale or Hansen.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
Chicat wrote:

They... they were all pre-made statements they are all out now... they just weren't the one's salavating to break the news

Kind of sad that Goodman of all people appears to have been first.

Just shows much the Olson family hates UA pundits. His relationship with them was prickly at best.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Hansen took another shot at Miller in his Sunday column regarding Nico Mannion and how Miller's offense was antiquated and Mannion was getting doubled too often. I wonder if this NBA writer who critiqued Miller fuller understood that besides Mannion, Zeke and Green, Arizona had very little talent on the floor and that's why three freshmen were the leading scorers last year.

Hansen never misses a chance to take a swipe at Miller.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zonagrad wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:11 pm Hansen took another shot at Miller in his Sunday column regarding Nico Mannion and how Miller's offense was antiquated and Mannion was getting doubled too often. I wonder if this NBA writer who critiqued Miller fuller understood that besides Mannion, Zeke and Green, Arizona had very little talent on the floor and that's why three freshmen were the leading scorers last year.

I mean, what do I know, but a contributing factor to Nico drawing doubles IMO was playing as the main perimeter option with Josh Green (who had an iffy J) and Dylan Smith (who was the worst finisher off the dribble for his size I've ever seen at Arizona's level).

Add that we didn't have another big offensive threat beyond Zeke and we pretty much had 3 guys out there at all times who were one dimensional and simple to defend while shading Nico. Finally, I'd add that it's tough to build sophistication with a young roster. Especially when Jeter petered out, we didn't have a lot of returners.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

zonagrad wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:11 pm Hansen took another shot at Miller in his Sunday column regarding Nico Mannion and how Miller's offense was antiquated and Mannion was getting doubled too often. I wonder if this NBA writer who critiqued Miller fuller understood that besides Mannion, Zeke and Green, Arizona had very little talent on the floor and that's why three freshmen were the leading scorers last year.

Did Mannion really get doubled that often? I don’t recall much if any. Hell if anything teams would let him settle fir pull up Js
Elite PGs should lick their chops if they get doubled. Their assist numbers should be bonkers.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:32 pm

I mean, what do I know, but a contributing factor to Nico drawing doubles IMO was playing as the main perimeter option with Josh Green (who had an iffy J) and Dylan Smith (who was the worst finisher off the dribble for his size I've ever seen at Arizona's level).

Add that we didn't have another big offensive threat beyond Zeke and we pretty much had 3 guys out there at all times who were one dimensional and simple to defend while shading Nico. Finally, I'd add that it's tough to build sophistication with a young roster. Especially when Jeter petered out, we didn't have a lot of returners.
Yep, that's my point. It's not as though Arizona had a ton of options last year. The fact that three freshmen were the top players says it all. Chase Jeter & Dylan Smith would not have started on any other Pac 12 team. Smith simply wasn't Pac 12 material and belonged in the WCC or Mt. West. His shooting stats during his career prove that, especially when the competition got tough.

Looking back at the season, our freshmen had phenomenal years. It just didn't translate to an exceptional record because our upper classmen were terrible. It's just annoying to see Hansen cherrypick the comments of a former NBA writer, as though the guy is some type of expert. Miller has forgotten more basketball than that guy will ever know.

And likewise, Hansen jabs at Miller after Akot has a decent game and hits a winner against BYU. The guy is averaging 7 points per game and shooting 31% as a Junior. It's exactly that type of player that loses games for you in the Pac 12 at Arizona. That's why he's at Boise State.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zonagrad wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:46 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:32 pm

Yep, that's my point. It's not as though Arizona had a ton of options last year. The fact that three freshmen were the top players says it all. Chase Jeter & Dylan Smith would not have started on any other Pac 12 team. Smith simply wasn't Pac 12 material and belonged in the WCC or Mt. West. His shooting stats during his career prove that, especially when the competition got tough.

Looking back at the season, our freshmen had phenomenal years. It just didn't translate to an exceptional record because our upper classmen were terrible. It's just annoying to see Hansen cherrypick the comments of a former NBA writer, as though the guy is some type of expert. Miller has forgotten more basketball than that guy will ever know.

And likewise, Hansen jabs at Miller after Akot has a decent game and hits a winner against BYU. The guy is averaging 7 points per game and shooting 31% as a Junior. It's exactly that type of player that loses games for you in the Pac 12 at Arizona. That's why he's at Boise State.
Nico's biggest issue is he was wildly inconsistent from 3, and he needed his jumper to go down to set up the rest of his game.

In 8 November games, he shot .471 from 3.

In 5 December games he shot .207 from 3.

In 7 January games, he shot .361 from 3.

In 9 February games he shot .239 from 3.

In wins, he shot .378 from 3. In losses, he shot .250 from 3. We relied on him a whole lot because we didn't have another creator on the perimeter and rose and fell with how he performed.

Smith, Green, Hazzard and Baker were all pretty one dimensional. It's just not that easy to build a modern offense around guys who aren't multiskilled.

Even Zeke, who was great, was limited in that he really couldn't shoot 3's.

Our 3 best offenses under Miller by Kenpom stats were 2015, 2011, 2013 (surprise) and 2017 (very close to 2013).

Each team had at least three guys that I'd consider multiskilled guys. 2011, DWill, Solo and Fogg. 2013, Lyons, Solo and Nick. 2015, Stanley, Ashley and TJ. 2017, Trier, Rawle/Kobi and Lauri.

It makes it much easier to have a fluid offense when you have guys who can do multiple things. I think you see that this year. We don't have the talent level (yet) of those past teams, but Akinjo, Terry, Mathurin, etc. can do multiple things well. Next year, if they grow and develop, we could see another top 15 offense, IMO.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

One other opinion I think is unpopular here. Miller gets way too much shit about offense.

In his time here, 7 of his 11 years, we've been in the top 20 nationally of Kenpom AdjO. The 4 years we weren't are 2010 (when the roster was recovering), 2012 (our Lilliputian year with Josiah), 2019 (thanks FBI) and 2020.

2020 is the only year I would think we underperformed. The other years are about what you'd expect, IMO, from some of the talent issues we had. 65% of your seasons being top 20 in offense is not bad.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:21 pm One other opinion I think is unpopular here. Miller gets way too much shit about offense.

In his time here, 7 of his 11 years, we've been in the top 20 nationally of Kenpom AdjO. The 4 years we weren't are 2010 (when the roster was recovering), 2012 (our Lilliputian year with Josiah), 2019 (thanks FBI) and 2020.

2020 is the only year I would think we underperformed. The other years are about what you'd expect, IMO, from some of the talent issues we had. 65% of your seasons being top 20 in offense is not bad.
That's good info for some perspective.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

David Kelly filling in for Hansen?
TheCatInTheHat

Kelly

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

What a dick. Not sure if he thinks he can make a name for himself as Mr. Adversarial, or what. That's straight out of that scene with the weasel at the beginning of Young Frankenstein: "Dr. FRONKENsteen...isn't it TRUE that your grandfather...?" Yeah, so we'll volunteer to be the only team in the country that never benefits from any adversity for any other team. I liked Miller's response about Baker's wrist. Miller shouldn't have to put up with that kind of shit, and he showed admirable restraint. If it's "well, injuries happen", then so does Covid. Only UArizona seems to handling it better than many of the teams we play. If other teams don't have the discipline to avoid it...tough.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:16 am David Kelly filling in for Hansen?
Wow, what a jackass question. OSU should make decisions about whether they play, not Sean Miller.

It's bizarre local media guys are just jerks to Miller for no particular reason. It's not like they're investigative journalists trying to get to the bottom of Watergate. Why be antagonistic with a question about another team's Covid protocols?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

He's got some big shoes to fill before we give him his own thread but he's off to a great start
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:11 pm He's got some big shoes to fill before we give him his own thread but he's off to a great start
I would love to ask him what he thought the other option was.

Should we have forfeited when they wanted to play because we thought it wasn't fair to them?

Edit: I'm fairly sure this is why Miller responds that he does not understand the question at first. Then, he realizes the question is just idiotic.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I've listened to David Kelly before... and I don't think he was trying to be adversarial.... I just really think he's an idiot.... which is even worse
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

What Ari said.
-JB
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:52 pm
This is a really weird place to make a passionate stand.

The purpose of sports is to play, not to meet an arbitrary standard of competitiveness.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:08 pm
Jefe wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:16 am David Kelly filling in for Hansen?
Wow, what a jackass question. OSU should make decisions about whether they play, not Sean Miller.

It's bizarre local media guys are just jerks to Miller for no particular reason. It's not like they're investigative journalists trying to get to the bottom of Watergate. Why be antagonistic with a question about another team's Covid protocols?
Kelly needs his own thread and not be on Hansen's. He's his own type of Jackass not to be confused with "Han-ass, Jack of all trades".
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:03 pm
Jefe wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:52 pm
This is a really weird place to make a passionate stand.

The purpose of sports is to play, not to meet an arbitrary standard of competitiveness.
It's especially weird when healthy teams are also facing disruptions. Namely cancellation and rescheduling of games.

Not sure how it's more "fair" for a team getting over Covid issues to play than for a team with no Covid issues to unexpectedly have a week off.

I mean, we're either doing this or we aren't. If we are, don't all of a sudden start screaming about competitive balance because some teams have Covid issues and others don't. That was always going to be a part of the deal this year. So if that's a problem for you, I guess you should have been out there from the beginning talking about how no one should be playing at all.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The way I think it has to be looked at us like injuries. While they couldn’t practice for a week having several guys out is like having two or three key injuries. You still lace it up and go out and play. Sucks for the beavs but it ducked for us Baker busted his wrist against the LA schools
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

I think for a number of media types these days, they either have it pushed on them, or they feel a self-imposed need to issue "hot takes" on their twitter accounts trying to appear contemporary and relevant. So, you make your little crusading statement in the form of an asinine "question", and then it gives you something to try and drum up interest for yourself and your organization on twitter. So, under that formula, the more controversial, the better. The problem is one of judgment and circumstances. Whoever you're modeling yourself after may succeed at it due to their personality or approach and/or their specific situation, both of which are likely different from your own. And when it's amateur hour, good judgment is usually the first casualty.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

:D Looks like they did ok against asu!! :lol:
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Well, now the Oregon State women's team just lost big to our gals after not playing for a long time due to Covid, so I guess Kelly can pretend to be upset about that. It's good to have a cause...or at least a hobby.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

He did this on the news broadcast last night too.

He wears a mask while he’s all alone outside of Mckale to do his stories. Maybe that makes him bitter.

I thought some of his reporting re FBI stuff was anti-Miller and not exactly accurate.