Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Also, I hope we take an calm but aggressive legal stance in defending ourselves against these allegations.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Those quotes from Stan Wilcox are insane. If the NCAA were anything like a responsible institution, Wilcox would be fired.

Because he said that stuff, I'd expect anything when it comes to allegations. You're only as rational as the statements you make.

But at the same time, I'd expect multiple lawsuits against the NCAA from the universities involved. There's a 90-day period for a response after the allegation is made. So by early October, we'll know how the universities are going to deal with the NCAA.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

"Those top coaches that were mentioned in the trials where the information shows what was being said was a violation of NCAA rules, yes. They will be all part of these notices of allegations," Wilcox said.

I have been of the opinion all along that we are going to get whacked....this news today just reinforces my opinion. I just hope the sanctions fall AFTER the upcoming season.

We should have self-sanctioned last year.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Catintheheat wrote:
NYCat wrote:
ORLANDO, Fla. -- At least six Division I men's basketball programs will receive Notices of Allegations for Level I violations from the NCAA by the summer, stemming from the federal government's recently completed investigation of the sport, a top NCAA official told CBS Sports.

Stan Wilcox, NCAA vice president for regulatory affairs, said two high-profile programs would receive notices of allegations by early July.

The remaining four would be rolled out later in the summer in what was described as a wave of NCAA investigations meant to clean up major-college basketball.

"There's even another group of cases that we're still working on," Wilcox said. "The main thing is that we're up and ready. We're moving forward and you'll see consequences."
I know it's stated it's eligibility related but hard to imagine how Arizona isn't one of the two major programs that will receive a notice. As stated in the article, Arizona, Louisville and Kansas are the only programs that are under investigation.

The two high profile progams seems to be Arizona & Louisville or Kansas. The remaining four are Auburn, Oklahoma State, USC, and Louisville or Kansas. The others would be NC State, Creighton, SCar etc

Ayton could be an eligibility issue for the NCAA because they're using the NCAA trial revelations. It's a retrospective eligibility issue, but still an eligibility issue if the NCAA says so.
Why would Ayton be an eligibility issue if he didn't receive any money and was cleared by the NCAA for eligibility?
Agree, Ayton was cleared by the NCAA twice and the FBI. The FBI found no wrong doing with Miller or Ayton. Would the NCAA really go back and say now based on someone who is a known bullshitter saying bullshit and rule Ayton ineligible when the FBI couldnt find it?
I mean, if Ayton has eligibility issues, I'll be ready to storm NCAA offices if Zion doesn't also have eligibility issues.
I will join you but would you take a vacation of the 2017-2018 season and probation and move on? No scholarship reduction and no future post season ban?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

YoDeFoe wrote:Schools / players with eligibility issues:

USC / DeAnthony Melton
Auburn / Austin Wiley
Auburn / Daniel Purifoy
Kansas / Billy Preston
Kansas / Silvio De Sousa
Louisville / Brian Bowen
Alabama / Colin Sexton

Who am I missing?
I dont believe it was part of this investigation but Fultz/Washington and Kuzma/Utah
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:Those quotes from Stan Wilcox are insane. If the NCAA were anything like a responsible institution, Wilcox would be fired.

Because he said that stuff, I'd expect anything when it comes to allegations. You're only as rational as the statements you make.

But at the same time, I'd expect multiple lawsuits against the NCAA from the universities involved. There's a 90-day period for a response after the allegation is made. So by early October, we'll know how the universities are going to deal with the NCAA.
Yeah, making it clear we're ready and willing to litigate...that stance helps with the NCAA.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PHXCATS wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Schools / players with eligibility issues:

USC / DeAnthony Melton
Auburn / Austin Wiley
Auburn / Daniel Purifoy
Kansas / Billy Preston
Kansas / Silvio De Sousa
Louisville / Brian Bowen
Alabama / Colin Sexton

Who am I missing?
I dont believe it was part of this investigation but Fultz/Washington and Kuzma/Utah
Duke / Zion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

This is quote is especially bonkers, if he's referring to Sean Miller:
Stan Wilcox wrote:Those top coaches that were mentioned in the trials where the information shows what was being said was a violation of NCAA rules, yes. They will be all part of these notices of allegations.
What was being said in the trial that reflects Sean Miller's violation of NCAA rules? The tap where Book says Miller was paying players, which isn't borne out by anything other than Book trying to position himself to get more cash? If that's going to be constituted as Miller violating NCAA rules, then the NCAA would be saying that Miller was paying players.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Longhorned wrote:This is quote is especially bonkers, if he's referring to Sean Miller:
Stan Wilcox wrote:Those top coaches that were mentioned in the trials where the information shows what was being said was a violation of NCAA rules, yes. They will be all part of these notices of allegations.
What was being said in the trial that reflects Sean Miller's violation of NCAA rules? The tap where Book says Miller was paying players, which isn't borne out by anything other than Book trying to position himself to get more cash? If that's going to be constituted as Miller violating NCAA rules, then the NCAA would be saying that Miller was paying players.
The NCAA is posturing as though they're taking a tough stand. In the court of law, this garbage doesn't hold water. Who knows what Book told the NCAA. Who knows what Arizona & Miller told the NCAA. But if the NCAA is saying they're gonna punish us based solely on the bullshit published reports and nothing more -- I imagine Arizona is gonna fight back.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote:This is quote is especially bonkers, if he's referring to Sean Miller:
The precedent of using actual hearsay as a guideline of punishment is beyond dangerous. If you're a school you better not piss off any former assistant coaches or runners.

Also this is just the first step guys, sanctions ain't coming for a good while. This year is safe.
Azgirl

Post by Azgirl »

[/quote]The precedent of using actual hearsay as a guideline of punishment is beyond dangerous. If you're a school you better not piss off any former assistant coaches or runners.

Also this is just the first step guys, sanctions ain't coming for a good while. This year is safe.[/quote]

I would think (optimistically so) that Arizona is legally prepared regardless.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
The precedent of using actual hearsay as a guideline of punishment is beyond dangerous. If you're a school you better not piss off any former assistant coaches or runners.

Also this is just the first step guys, sanctions ain't coming for a good while. This year is safe.
That idea of using hearsay unsupported by proof is where I'd gently start reminding the NCAA of the outside litigation options that exist.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I'm not sure litigation is as much of an option as you guys seem to think it is.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:I'm not sure litigation is as much of an option as you guys seem to think it is.
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/05/spor ... lties.html" target="_blank

It's worked in the past. There is no guarantee, but the statement from the NCAA today smacks of the same issies they had with PSU.

Also, UNC did well by pointing out proportional cases that weren't punished and demanding the same result. They didn't have to litigate, but did themselves a favor by showing a willingness to do so.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

YoDeFoe wrote:When counting schools, let's not forget NC State.

Attorney says adidas executive admits $40,000 payment to deliver Dennis Smith Jr. to NC State
I feel like Miami had a guy out for a while?

Edit, Dewan Hernandez sat for a time while his eligibility was investigated.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:I'm not sure litigation is as much of an option as you guys seem to think it is.
Hopefully, it won't come to that.

But, this being Arizona, where scholarships have been lost for multiple classes over Book and other AAU coaches being too damn cheap to buy their players their own food, it will come to that.

Anybody who still argues the NCAA should follow logic and objective standards in its policing of its member institutions is being tragically naive.

Hierarchies must be re-established, after all. Upstarts must be put in their place.

And if you don't think that anti-Arizona perception extends even into the officiating culture of the NCAA--even outside the Pac-12--you are also being too naive.

The NCAA will once again slap a "lack of institutional control" tag on its penalties of Arizons, a catch-all which it will use to once again take away scholarships for at least the next two seasons subsequent to the upcoming one.

Who's going to stop it? Most of the sports media openly support such a punishment, most other conference coaches--if you believe Gary Parrish, at least--silently support it already, we know where Larry Scott stands, and any court challenge will be framed by the NCAA as a war of attrition that will at most only be as successful as the USFL's antitrust suit against the NFL was.

It will be left to the university to decide if and how it seeks the desired level of justice. Because it will not get it from this conference, in the court of public opinion and certainly not from the NCAA, which will continue to be "shocked, SHOCKED that there are shoe company runners in this establishment!"

Miller's got to outwork 'em all, and as remarkable a job as he's done so far, he is only one man. And too many others actively desire him to fail.
Last edited by catgrad97 on Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Irish27 wrote:
This has to be a happy day for him. I'd hate to be his wife tonight.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Irish27 wrote:
Well if she stays out past 8:30 drinking wine with her girlfriends, he will probly already be after glowing with his Twitter account smoking ciggys in bed.

She might want to sleep in the guest room but I think she can avoid the brunt of the enthusiasm.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The joy he gets out of this is gross.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

zonagrad wrote:
The NCAA is posturing as though they're taking a tough stand. In the court of law, this garbage doesn't hold water. Who knows what Book told the NCAA. Who knows what Arizona & Miller told the NCAA. But if the NCAA is saying they're gonna punish us based solely on the bullshit published reports and nothing more -- I imagine Arizona is gonna fight back.
Court of law???? This matter will not be decided in a court of law..........it will be decided by an NCAA Panel.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:

I tend to agree. Unfortunately its patently obvious from the statement that the NCAA considers everything that came out during the trial to be evidence, including wiretaps.

This is definitely NOT good for AZ.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

How about LSU?

Also, wasn’t there was something about a Clemson coach complaining that it was so much harder for basketball to pay players than football? Because football has a better booster system in place. He said something about pretending he didn’t know where Zion lived so there was a wall between asst coach and head coach.

NCAA will have a tough time saying Ayton is a concern after they have checked him out already.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Irish27 wrote:
Well if she stays out past 8:30 drinking wine with her girlfriends, he will probly already be after glowing with his Twitter account smoking ciggys in bed.

She might want to sleep in the guest room but I think she can avoid the brunt of the enthusiasm.
She just needs to stay on the side with the glass eye and he won’t see her.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

dmjcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I tend to agree. Unfortunately its patently obvious from the statement that the NCAA considers everything that came out during the trial to be evidence, including wiretaps.

This is definitely NOT good for AZ.
Are you ready for the biggest lawsuit in NCAA history? If you believe the NCAA will take the wire tap as truth it will happen. FBI investigated Miller and found no proof he paid Ayton. Book is also know as a BSer. Miller Book and the FBI all say this didnt happen so yeah a lawsuit would be coming
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

I would think we would litigate if the NCAA tried to use the conversation between Book and Dawkins about Miller paying players as proof that a violation existed, right? Didn't Wilcox basically imply that they would be using this type of evidence? I would think we'd be ready to fight that tooth and nail.

Regardless, we've continued to hear from you and Scheer/Gershon that the UofA thinks the punishment will be lighter than the media does, so hopefully that still holds true. As long as there is no post-season ban, I will be content (and I would think UofA would be as well).
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
I would think we would litigate if the NCAA tried to use the conversation between Book and Dawkins about Miller paying players as proof that a violation existed, right? Didn't Wilcox basically imply that they would be using this type of evidence? I would think we'd be ready to fight that tooth and nail.

Regardless, we've continued to hear from you and Scheer/Gershon that the UofA thinks the punishment will be lighter than the media does, so hopefully that still holds true. As long as there is no post-season ban, I will be content (and I would think UofA would be as well).
Fwiw my post was my opinion and certainly not what Arizona believes. Just knowing from what I know in regards to the NCAA's structure and that literally every school member of the NCAA is a volunteer member technically, that as long as the NCAA follows its bylaws in their investigation I'm not quite sure what case Arizona has. I'm not a lawyer though, so hopefully Arizona and it's law team proves me wrong. It's absolutely fucking bonkers to use hearsay as evidence to punish any one in any setting though. The precedent set is absolutely catastrophic.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

If I remember correctly the courts/judge made it very clear that the schools were considered the VICTIMS in this whole thing. So NCAA punishing the victims? Going off of tapes that are completely hearsay? Ayton was cleared. I guess they''re talking about the Rawle or Quinnerly stuff? But no one knows if Book even paid them....or if he was just talking some BS to line his own pockets. I'd assume they could punish and say that he was part of Miller's staff and therefore Miller is responsible...but then again I believe that would be totally going against that the courts said.

Meanwhile wasn't there something about Zion going to Duke because another school didn't pay him enough? So what did he just say youre not paying me enough so I'll go to Duke for free and a good education? Cmon now people. Can the NCAA really be this stupid?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:

Fwiw my post was my opinion and certainly not what Arizona believes. Just knowing from what I know in regards to the NCAA's structure and that literally every school member of the NCAA is a volunteer member technically, that as long as the NCAA follows its bylaws in their investigation I'm not quite sure what case Arizona has. I'm not a lawyer though, so hopefully Arizona and it's law team proves me wrong. It's absolutely fucking bonkers to use hearsay as evidence to punish any one in any setting though. The precedent set is absolutely catastrophic.
That's a reason I hammered proportional treatment so hard when I discussed legal strategy. If they use an evidentiary standard that brings in Book's claims, we should be demanding proportionality with other similar situated instituutions.

Hearsay saying Clemson football pays players. Where's the punishment for Clemson football. Hearsay about payment plans for Zion's family. Where's vacating Duke's wins last year? Just Kansas? NCSU punishment for Dennis Smith Jr. payments?

The NCAA's achilles heel is always their inconsistent application of standards and punishments. Penn State is the best example of this. They backed the NCAA down very effectively in court.

Hell, Wilcox's statement yesterday is a great starting point. Saying "I wouldn't want to be the first program through the new enforcement process" seems an awful lot like an admission their new process may be wildly inconsistent with the last. That lack of consistency in punitive consequence is the strongest legal basis we have if there is a harsh punishment contemplated.
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Hell, Wilcox's statement yesterday is a great starting point. Saying "I wouldn't want to be the first program through the new enforcement process" seems an awful lot like an admission their new process may be wildly inconsistent with the last. That lack of consistency in punitive consequence is the strongest legal basis we have if there is a harsh punishment contemplated.
It's also the scariest. I think your argument makes total sense but unfortunately because this is the NCAA this statement still makes me nervous.

Because so many schools were mentioned throughout all the mud slinging, I was really hoping that the NCAA would have hid and swept much of this under the rug. Hand out some minor repercussions and just move forward. However, this statement is a very strong one that I was not thinking would come so soon. They seem serious about dealing out some major sanctions and as much as I have faith in Arizona's confidence that we will be fine, I can't help but think there is maybe only so much protesting and appealing we can do. The FBI had a similar agenda and statement when they had that dog and pony show back in 2017, obviously the results of that were extremely underwhelming. Difference with this is that the NCAA is the judge, jury and executioner in this and if they want to make a statement with a school like us, then it's hard for me to say they won't.

At this point, I can't see us escaping repercussions entirely or that they will even be as minimal as a multi-game suspension of Miller. I agree with what people have said before, as long as we escape a postseason ban then I think we should be okay. To me, a postseason ban looming over us would be a major set back from the momentum we've built in the past months with recruiting.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Wilner of course used to be a beat writer for the Tucson Citizen if memory serves, maybe it was the ADS.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

More logic here, sorry.

A post season ban hurts the student athlete.
Nothing was done that gave AZ an on -court advantage.
I could see Miller suspended for some games and maybe a scholarship reduction. But punishing the players for the things Book did seems way off base.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:

That's a reason I hammered proportional treatment so hard when I discussed legal strategy. If they use an evidentiary standard that brings in Book's claims, we should be demanding proportionality with other similar situated instituutions.

Hearsay saying Clemson football pays players. Where's the punishment for Clemson football. Hearsay about payment plans for Zion's family. Where's vacating Duke's wins last year? Just Kansas? NCSU punishment for Dennis Smith Jr. payments?

The NCAA's achilles heel is always their inconsistent application of standards and punishments. Penn State is the best example of this. They backed the NCAA down very effectively in court.

Hell, Wilcox's statement yesterday is a great starting point. Saying "I wouldn't want to be the first program through the new enforcement process" seems an awful lot like an admission their new process may be wildly inconsistent with the last. That lack of consistency in punitive consequence is the strongest legal basis we have if there is a harsh punishment contemplated.
Agreed with what you said Choo. And Spiff - that is a phenomenal point. Using hearsay as evidence in an NCAA punishment is an incredibly dangerous precedent. Let's hope they don't go down that road.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

NCAA sanctions usually never make any sense because the seemingly lack of consistency. I mean look at the sanctions Missouri received for a rogue tutor. We can all make valid arguments on why we shouldn't be severely punished but in the end, its the NCAA so who knows. Just hoping we avoid the postseason ban.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

At some point they (the NCAA) needs to be challenged. They are an antiquated, corrupt organization. Their greed and ability to take a blind eye to what everyone has know has been going on since the origins of AAU make this whole thing a joke. Of course except to DICK vitale
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

https://thenurj.com/print/" target="_blank
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Wish that could be published in every well read paper in the country
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Fucking finally
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

This should be shared all over social media - maybe a small way to call it to the attention of other media outlets....

https://www.medill.northwestern.edu/new ... ntest.html" target="_blank
Medill sophomore wins 2018 Howell essay contest
Nikki Baim’s essay discusses implications of journalist’s missteps in reporting on University of Arizona basketball “pay-for-play” scandal
June 7, 2018 | By Irene Chang (BSJ21)

Nikki Baim (BSJ20) has won the 2018 Walter S. and Syrena M. Howell essay competition. The annual contest awards $4,000 for a Medill student’s analysis of “truth gone awry.”

Baim’s essay, “The Sports Department of Corrections: How false reports by ESPN criminalized the University of Arizona Basketball Program,” discusses the missteps of ESPN columnist Mark Schlabach in his reporting on the University of Arizona “pay-for-play” scandal. The essay further highlights the consequences of journalists’ mistakes on public figures and institutions.

ESPN’s article indicated University of Arizona head basketball coach Sean Miller discussed paying top players to play on the team. Despite many errors within the story, including gaps in the timeline and unreliable sourcing, the report delivered a blow to the top-tier basketball program’s reputation.

“[ESPN] must be transparent about Schlabach’s reporting habits and commit to accurate journalism if they want [to] put faith back in the hands of fans, athletes and coaches,” Baim wrote in her essay.

The Howell essay contest judges commended Baim on her unique example of the devastation of unverified reporting, as well as how she acknowledged that ESPN’s errors were partially due to the pressure of competition against other outlets.

“Baim’s choice of topic—media coverage of the Arizona basketball scandal—was original and allowed her to delve into the impact of poor reporting on the subjects covered. But she also raised interesting questions about the impact of shrinking newsrooms and digital competition on journalism’s norms and anonymous sources,” said Medill Associate Professor Patti Wolter, one of the contest judges.

A Tucson, Arizona native, Baim said that the scandal resonated with her personally. University of Arizona is the alma mater of her father and sister, and she grew up watching the school’s basketball and football games. When the ESPN story broke and rattled the basketball season and recruitment, Baim said that she knew “it was trouble.”

“The Arizona basketball team -- a power program [for] the past 35 years -- has become a part of the town’s identity,” she said. “I hoped to talk about my disappointment in the changes ESPN has made over the years and the community impact of misinformation in Tucson from a journalism perspective in my essay.”

In addition to Wolter, Medill faculty members Steve Garnett and Mei-Ling Hopgood judged this year’s competition.

“I would like to thank the judges for honoring me with this award,” Baim said. “Attending Medill has opened up a world of opportunities for me and I am grateful for every way that my professors, advisors and peers have helped me succeed at Northwestern.”
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

That is amazing. Sure, the writer is a Tucson native, but Northwestern is the standard for J schools and they awarded her.

I wonder if this case might, thanks to this essay, be used in future NW J-school classes. It touches on a few issues in journalism, including the reduction of staff that impacts proper editorial conduct
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I thought the NCAA was going to be handing down punishments for schools caught up in this last week???
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/st ... 584911001/" target="_blank

New NCAA transfer restrictions could make Quinerly waiver 'more difficult'
Nate Oats’ hope of seeing new transfer point guard Jahvon Quinerly on the court for Alabama next season appears to be fading after the NCAA announced stricter guidelines for granting residency waivers Wednesday.

The NCAA Division I Council approved four alterations to previously-existing guidelines used in determining whether a transferring student-athlete might be eligible for a waiver of the required year-of-residency for all undergraduate transfers based on extenuating circumstances. The added guidelines would appear to be stricter and require complete participation from the transfer’s previous program in order to even make a full appeal, which isn’t always so simple given the sometimes complicated reasons student-athletes opt to transfer in the first place.

In the case of Quinerly, whose waiver appeal to the NCAA had yet to be submitted by Alabama as of last week, the new restrictions might throw a wrench into what some at Alabama believed was an open-and-shut request based on personal hardships Quinerly dealt with at Villanova stemming from his erroneous connection to the recent FBI probe into college basketball.

“I’m guessing it’ll make it more difficult, (but) I don’t really know,” Oats said Thursday on the SEC men’s basketball summer teleconference from his home in Buffalo. “It seems like (the NCAA rules) fluctuate every couple of years, all of a sudden they say they’re going to get more strict and they get more strict for a year or two, and then they start granting a lot more waivers. So, I don’t know if we just caught the bad end of the pendulum swing and all that. But I do think he’s got a really good case.”

If the NCAA doesn’t grant his waiver request, Quinerly must sit out the 2019-20 season due to undergraduate transfer rules but will have three years of college eligibility remaining.

“Our compliance office thinks he’s got a great case just with being accused and put under the spotlight of all that FBI stuff when their family had nothing to do with it,” Oats said. “It’s unfortunate that somebody else lied about him and put them in a precarious situation that kind of affected his freshman year in a real negative light, and he needed a fresh start. … I think Jahvon’s in a great place, hopefully we get him to play, (but) if not, he’s working hard and we’re going to get him a lot better if he’s not able to play this year. Either way we’ll be alright.”

Under the new restrictions, requests that appeal to a student-athlete’s mental or physical health — which appears to be the root of Quinerly’s waiver request — and how it was adversely affected at the previous school, guidelines require the new program to provide objective documentation detailing the student-athlete’s behavior and how the new situation is more conducive to his/her safety and well-being, as well as a statement from the previous school’s athletic director indicating the reason the student-athlete gave for wanting to transfer in the first place. Oats indicated Villanova and head coach Jay Wright have been supportive of Quinerly’s move to Alabama and the two coaches have been in contact throughout the entire appeal process.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote:
Postmaster wrote:What became of the O’Neal-Phelps grade thing?

Seems like if that were proven, that would be more egregious than Book because it was academic fraud and related to getting a kid on the floor.

Also, will anyone go after Pasternak? He knew of the bribes even if he didn’t partake.
To me, that seems like a problem.

But maybe Pasternak told Sean.
Someone mentioned before what a pain in the ass it is to fire a university employee so I believe they just decided to let his contract expire.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
az91

Post by az91 »

Just when I thought it was safe to visit this thread, the Phelps incident blows up.
prh

Post by prh »

Just more fuel for the dump Heeke bandwagon
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I thought they simply did not renew his contract?, this makes it seem like Heeke stepped in with dog shit all over his shoes and complained about the lack of coasters on the coffee table...
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

prh wrote:Just more fuel for the dump Heeke bandwagon