Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PHXCATS

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by PHXCATS »

There are only two news worthy things here.

1) the investigation we all knew was coming has started. It was always gonna happen. Just hap pool en know instead of this summer like when I thought it would
2) Miller MAY testify. Either he is a total liar or we have nothing to worry about. If he lied he will never coach again and Robbins sure went to bat for him and put his ass on the line for Miller so what does the school have that gave Robbins the confidence to back Miller so big?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If Miller lied, it’ll be pretty demoralizing.

That said, I don’t think he lied.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’m struggling to figure out what info in that article is exactly new.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Chicat wrote:I’m struggling to figure out what info in that article is exactly new.
Thing new for me is Yahoo writing it, that's mostly it
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Newportcat wrote:
Chicat wrote:I’m struggling to figure out what info in that article is exactly new.
Thing new for me is Yahoo writing it, that's mostly it
Which is unfortunate, but there’s nothing there that’s going to linger beyond the same general stench of corruption that was previously dissipating.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

The only thing that makes me pause is the Luke connection. Unless that is just pure "this is happening and that is happening and....MAKE THEM HAPPEN TOGETHER" guessing. But if this is real reporting, someone is making Luke's name hit this story, and that is both interesting and concerning
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I wouldn’t get our hopes up about Luke ever coaching AZ. Doesn’t seem to be in his career plans.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EVCat wrote:The only thing that makes me pause is the Luke connection. Unless that is just pure "this is happening and that is happening and....MAKE THEM HAPPEN TOGETHER" guessing. But if this is real reporting, someone is making Luke's name hit this story, and that is both interesting and concerning
As a general rule, factual info comes in the first three paragraphs of an article then the rest is background and conjecture. Unless you’re Mark Schlabach in which case it’s all bullshit based on nothing.

Luke is on the hot seat.
Miller is on the hot seat.
Luke went to Arizona.
Shake and pour and you’ve got yourself a juicy rumor cocktail.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EVCat wrote:The only thing that makes me pause is the Luke connection. Unless that is just pure "this is happening and that is happening and....MAKE THEM HAPPEN TOGETHER" guessing. But if this is real reporting, someone is making Luke's name hit this story, and that is both interesting and concerning
It's not real reporting, it's speculation, mixed in with sources being literally Dawkins's lawyer.
MC1983

Post by MC1983 »

Everyone heard Miller say at the red and blue that he will be so happy when he can openly talk about the situation. He has never given any reason not to believe his word so until than I do.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Holy shit. Among other things, this idea that upper administration has some hard choices to make about what to do with Miller now that... now that what? Now that this article appeared, telling everyone what’s already common knowledge? The notion that the university would weigh its decision based on the incoming class is especially golden.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:On the whole, this is a ton of repackaged speculation that adds nothing new other than a claim about one source.
It’s hilarious that there are three writers on that byline. Meanwhile, 97% of it was copied and pasted from other reports.

Yahoo is just trying to keep up the appearance that their blockbuster story hasn’t fizzled out in a rash of plea deals.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

PHXCATS wrote:There are only two news worthy things here.

1) the investigation we all knew was coming has started. It was always gonna happen. Just hap pool en know instead of this summer like when I thought it would
2) Miller MAY testify. Either he is a total liar or we have nothing to worry about. If he lied he will never coach again and Robbins sure went to bat for him and put his ass on the line for Miller so what does the school have that gave Robbins the confidence to back Miller so big?
oh yeah, theres no way Miller is a total liar just trying to save his hide, LMFAO. Dawkins has no allegiance to UA or Miller like Book did and no incentive to hide anything for our benefit. A supeona would be potentially devastating to the program, program-defining.

Would Robbins and Heeke even let Miller go on the stand while he's the coach?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RiseAndFire wrote:

oh yeah, theres no way Miller is a total liar just trying to save his hide, LMFAO. Dawkins has no allegiance to UA or Miller like Book did and no incentive to hide anything for our benefit. A supeona would be potentially devastating to the program, program-defining.

Wow, your legal opinions are just as educated as your basketball opinions.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
RiseAndFire wrote:

If Miller was smart, he would employ a zone defense on the stand.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
RiseAndFire wrote:

And push the pace of questioning.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

I want to preface this by saying I have no legal experience whatsoever.

But it seems to me that if the FBI does not have Miller on tape talking to Dawkins, there would be no reason to get him to testify.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Didn’t Bowen SR claim that Dawkins told him AZ offered money?
I always thought this was Dawkins making stuff up and Bowen repeating it.

To me, the worst part, if true, is that Miller let Dawkins hang out at practice a lot.

Also, I didn’t realize someone who went to school in the Phoenix area was a “local”.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

BBQ wildcat wrote:I want to preface this by saying I have no legal experience whatsoever.

But it seems to me that if the FBI does not have Miller on tape talking to Dawkins, there would be no reason to get him to testify.
The FBI does have Miller on tape talking to Dawkins. That doesn't mean anything is incriminating though.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:
BBQ wildcat wrote:I want to preface this by saying I have no legal experience whatsoever.

The FBI does have Miller on tape talking to Dawkins. That doesn't mean anything is incriminating though.
Exactly. We have known this since Miller admitted to it in March 2018. Talking to Dawkins is not a violation
MC1983

Post by MC1983 »

Dawkins was running Bowen’s recruitment from my understanding. It would make since for Miller to have some kind of contact and does not mean any foul play. Arizona backed off Bowen and he committed to Louisville.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
RiseAndFire wrote:

This is one of the funniest things I have read on this site
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Either people have short memories or do nor read or lack basic comprehension skills:

UA has spent nearly 1.4 MILLION dollars on legal fees regarding this investigation...those fee's INCLUDE a comprehensive INTERNAL investigation...

IF (big fucking IF here) Miller was guilty of anything other than pissing off ESPN and the rest of the Yahoo's out there they would surely have called him in, disciplined him or fired him by now...

In-FUCKING_Stead we have the AD and Prez covering Millers back, defending him and standing by him in front of the ABOR...

Do the damn math.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Now here is an interesting scenario that is very unlikely as I doubt the judge will allow the defense to call Miller and if they do it will most likely only be to discuss the crimes the FBI is charging. But what would happen if this happens? Miller testifies, says he is aware of players getting paid but he did not authorize any of it, and he blows the lid on how every player gets paid by every shoe company? Would the NCAA punish then or would the NCAA be forced to fold or change so quickly that there would be no way UA would be punished?
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

I'm gonna lose my shit if this ABOR meeting results in bad news for us.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Come this far to run scared at the potential of being subpoenaed? Seems like they would have known that might be coming from the start.

Is the report of another meeting concerning the hoops program legit? Phxcats you got anything
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
MC1983

Post by MC1983 »

From Pete Thamel at yahoo. Twitter
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

CatFanOneMil wrote:Either people have short memories or do nor read or lack basic comprehension skills:

UA has spent nearly 1.4 MILLION dollars on legal fees regarding this investigation...those fee's INCLUDE a comprehensive INTERNAL investigation...

IF (big fucking IF here) Miller was guilty of anything other than pissing off ESPN and the rest of the Yahoo's out there they would surely have called him in, disciplined him or fired him by now...

In-FUCKING_Stead we have the AD and Prez covering Millers back, defending him and standing by him in front of the ABOR...

Do the damn math.
This is exactly right.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

goslingswagg wrote:I'm gonna lose my shit if this ABOR meeting results in bad news for us.
Arizona men's basketball is one of eight sub-items on the agenda concerning legal advice. Why would this portend something?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote:Come this far to run scared at the potential of being subpoenaed? Seems like they would have known that might be coming from the start.

Is the report of another meeting concerning the hoops program legit? Phxcats you got anything
Nothing to worry about at all. This meeting was already scheduled, just added a discussion about it since they Yahoo article came out and there is some talk locally about it here in PHX
MC1983

Post by MC1983 »

Yeah I’m with CatFan and Longhorned on this. Arizona has been investigating this for what over a year now. If something was there it would of come up by now I’m sure.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

MC1983 wrote:Yeah I’m with CatFan and Longhorned on this. Arizona has been investigating this for what over a year now. If something was there it would of come up by now I’m sure.
This is where I think people do not use the brains god gave them (or evolution if you're not a god person)...

The UA gets bushwhacked by Book Richardsons greedy ass...no one saw this coming (he was a playa and played his role and did his job but who could see how fucking greedy he was except maybe that fuckwit Ace?)...came completely out of left field and surprised everyone...immediately they go into triage mode...see where the viper bite is...it starts and ends with Book and Vegas...

Miller gets called in...(remember he was as blindsided by this as anyone, probably more-so since he had allowed Book to stay after his LAST disciplinary action/which Sean probably has said about a thousands times "I should have fired his fucking ass!")...tells the Admin/UA/AD "I did nothing wrong"...hires his OWN LAWYER...because...well fuck who knows what the new AD will do...?

Dave stands by his man...goes to bat...gets the UA on-board they hire the biggest baddest law team compiled since Perry Mason parked his wheel chair...

This law team has several jobs...PROTECT THE UNIVERSITY...is job #1...that means investigate to such a degree as NO culpability is possible should any other investigative body come to the gates...

That also means that should the NCAA come knocking have evidence in hand and a defense in place so if at worst to push back if need be, or at best provide ample proof that Miller/et al were innocent and actually victimized in the situation...

We have not heard a peep out of Millers personal lawyers...no filings, no pleadings, no request to the courts at all...nothing...nada...its almost like they don't even need to be there.

These are corporations...hired to defend a State Institution...if you think the NCAA can just waltz in and start arbitrarily investigating a STATE OWNED BODY
you have no idea how virtually powerless the NCAA really is...they have a limited scope of power that applies to a limited realm of collegiate sports...the rest is fucking states rights.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:I'm gonna lose my shit if this ABOR meeting results in bad news for us.
Arizona men's basketball is one of eight sub-items on the agenda concerning legal advice. Why would this portend something?
If you subtract 1 from 8, you get 7 and that's the cursed number.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Can someone explain how this destroys Arizona basketball?
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

AZCatGirl wrote: Can someone explain how this destroys Arizona basketball?
In the court of public opinion on one end of the spectrum.

The first move toward shit-canning Miller on the other.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I would really love some insider info right now, because this is really, really strange. The guy not even implicated in the FBI investigation?
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Chicat wrote:In the court of public opinion on one end of the spectrum.

The first move toward shit-canning Miller on the other.
But firing Miller doesn't make any sense.

I seriously don't get what's been going on the past few days. People seem to be going crazy over nothing.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

https://mobile.twitter.com/GoodmanHoops ... 2294144000" target="_blank

If this is it...WTF.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Just sick to my stomach over this bullshit. Posted in the Sean Miller thread earlier today. At least the big money boosters still support Miller.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Just sick to my stomach over this bullshit. Posted in the Sean Miller thread earlier today. At least the big money boosters still support Miller.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Build their case? What's changed that he now needs to be fired?

Seriously WTF happened?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Phelps hasn't been found guilty of anything, but you put him on admin leave for one reason and that's to make Sean Miller's program and leadership look inept, so you have the grounds to fire him. It doesnt matter if Phelps is guilty or not, the optics will already make it look bad enough to where you sell the fact that you have to let him go.

This is pure garbage guys and quite honestly possibly the death of Arizona basketball as this won't sit well with any of the donors, especially with what Miller had coming in. Fucking heads will roll.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Thanks for explaining Choo. That's what it sounded like was going on.

Holy shit am I pissed right now. Does the school not get that you don't fucking implode the basketball program? Like, that's our MAIN SOURCE OF MONEY AND PRIDE.

Nah, we're gonna be scared of the NCAA so fuck it all.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:Phelps hasn't been found guilty of anything, but you put him on admin leave for one reason and that's to make Sean Miller's program and leadership look inept, so you have the grounds to fire him. It doesnt matter if Phelps is guilty or not, the optics will already make it look bad enough to where you sell the fact that you have to let him go.

This is pure garbage guys and quite honestly possibly the death of Arizona basketball as this won't sit well with any of the donors, especially with what Miller had coming in. Fucking heads will roll.
If that's correct, that is just horrifying decision making.

Is there a way to email Heeke or Robbins? That level of cowardice and incompetence is ridiculous. There is no justification for dropping over a million on an investigation of Miller, letting time elapse and building a case for his firing from some other BS.

If that's actually what it is, **** the admin.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Phelps hasn't been found guilty of anything, but you put him on admin leave for one reason and that's to make Sean Miller's program and leadership look inept, so you have the grounds to fire him. It doesnt matter if Phelps is guilty or not, the optics will already make it look bad enough to where you sell the fact that you have to let him go.

Is there a way to email Heeke or Robbins? That level of cowardice and incompetence is ridiculous. There is no justification for dropping over a million on an investigation of Miller, letting time elapse and building a case for his firing from some other BS.

Well... if that's what's happening (and it's hard to believe), Robbins won't be for long in his position.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Well... if that's what's happening (and it's hard to believe), Robbins won't be for long in his position.
What else could they be doing? This is just the most bizarre timing. It concerns me this appears indefinite too.

Why suspend early in the process like this? Hell, it's like we learned nothing from UNC's aggressiveness with the NCAA.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »