'17/18 Polls

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

YoDeFoe

Re: '17/18 Polls

Post by YoDeFoe »

I legit don't give a fuck about a poll in November. I don't even care about losing those three games.

We've been saying it all off season: gimme a shitty season and a stellar tournament, rather than the other way around.

Maybe this is the road to that. You grow through adversity. Failure indicates areas of opportunity. These guys are competitors and the staff are professionals. They'll figure it out.

There's no hiding what needs to be done. There's no "well we still got the W despite such and such deficiencies." We can't say "yeah I don't defend the rim or dribble penetration but I do these other things and that's enough."

So guys know what they're failing at. Plenty of game film to show what we're failing at as a team. Fine. Good.

Rawle comes back soon. We get some practice time instead of three games in three days. And we've got a chance to bounce back with a tune up game on Wednesday and the road game at UNLV next week (which will be a great test of Ayton vs McCoy... we'll see if Ayton is buying in and he'll get more game film showing otherwise if not). Then two quality opponents in A&M and Alabama.

We can lose lose lose so long as we figure shit out come March. Fine by me.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I know this is bad, but am I the only one who sees a strange silver lining? This team is now faced with having to earn every bit of national respect from here on out. Nothing is given freely, as it was heading into the season. If being unranked and laughed at by the whole country doesn't motivate this team, I'm not sure anything can. Hopefully this pisses them off and gets them to practice harder, commit to playing smart defense on every possession, and rededicate themselves to the process. This team has an opportunity to be special. It starts at practice today.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

scumdevils86 wrote:There it is. Unranked. First time in 31 years a team went from top 2 to unranked in a week.

ASU is #20.
ASU being ranked ahead of UA won't stay very long.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

YoDeFoe wrote:I legit don't give a fuck about a poll in November. I don't even care about losing those three games.

We've been saying it all off season: gimme a shitty season and a stellar tournament, rather than the other way around.

Maybe this is the road to that. You grow through adversity. Failure indicates areas of opportunity. These guys are competitors and the staff are professionals. They'll figure it out.

There's no hiding what needs to be done. There's no "well we still got the W despite such and such deficiencies." We can't say "yeah I don't defend the rim or dribble penetration but I do these other things and that's enough."

So guys know what they're failing at. Plenty of game film to show what we're failing at as a team. Fine. Good.

Rawle comes back soon. We get some practice time instead of three games in three days. And we've got a chance to bounce back with a tune up game on Wednesday and the road game at UNLV next week (which will be a great test of Ayton vs McCoy... we'll see if Ayton is buying in and he'll get more game film showing otherwise if not). Then two quality opponents in A&M and Alabama.

Gotta make the tournament.........

Would not if it was held today but I think it will get turned around in time to do so.

UCONN last 20 Years > Arizona last 20 years. Think you are saying similar things.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Screw polls. We need to get better.

If last week is evidence of anything, it's that a poll number doesn't hide floor performance. Either we pull it together on the floor or we don't. Polls are meaningless in comparison.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

YoDeFoe wrote:I legit don't give a fuck about a poll in November. I don't even care about losing those three games.

The biggest problems are the two starting seniors, I don't see how their handicaps will be fixed by March, at this point it's who they are.

Possibly the only solution is not playing them, but we all know Sean.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

PHXCATS wrote:

Would not if it was held today but I think it will get turned around in time to do so.

UCONN last 20 Years > Arizona last 20 years. Think you are saying similar things.
Agreed - those thoughts were running through my mind while writing that.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

RondaeShimmy wrote:

The biggest problems are the two starting seniors, I don't see how their handicaps will be fixed by March, at this point it's who they are.

Agree. They need to have limited roles. They can still be important components depending on matchups. But our defense suffers with them. We need to run more motion offene. Sets are ok for Ayton but not Trier.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

RondaeShimmy wrote: The biggest problems are the two starting seniors, I don't see how their handicaps will be fixed by March, at this point it's who they are.

I know Miller will let seniors play until they prove they cannot. Ristic is proving he cannot, which is why he averaged 15min/g in the Bahamas, with a high of 17 and a low of 11. That's who he is on this team because he and Ayton are the same dude on defense: can't offensive rebound, can't protect the paint and the perimeter on the same possession.

For reference: the last time Risitc got that few minutes he was backing up Zeus. That's the direction Miller went and I've got confidence he'll continue to go there if it bears fruit.

I doubt Parker loses his spot, however. Most games we're fine playing him heavy minutes. But against the best teams... Parker can't score. If you check his stats its year in and year out... he just can't get to the free throw line or make a field goal. He still passes very well, no matter the competition. But you can see his FG% drops from the 50s to the 40s and his free throw rate drops from the 40s to the 20s. This year same as last year and the years before that.

I think Miller knows what to do about Ristic. I don't know if we have an answer to what to do about PJC in the big games. Maybe a line-up of PJC, Trier, Alkins, pick another wing, Ayton is enough to get it done. Maybe that's enough firepower that it's fine that PJC can't score against good competition.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

There was a point last season when many thought Comanche should have been starting and/or getting more minutes than Ristic.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Ristic should get garbage minutes. Lacks any court awareness. Hopefully Miller rolls out a new starting 5 this week.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

So if Miller does a new starting line up and mixes things up and the team does much better, will we punish Miller for not starting the right guys at first like many of you have done with RR with the Tate/Dawkins thing
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

PHXCATS wrote:So if Miller does a new starting line up and mixes things up and the team does much better, will we punish Miller for not starting the right guys at first like many of you have done with RR with the Tate/Dawkins thing
Havent you been paying attention for the last few years? Remember York over RHJ?
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

rgdeuce wrote:There was a point last season when many thought Comanche should have been starting and/or getting more minutes than Ristic.
Not from me. I was not a Comanche fan at all.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

PHXCATS wrote:

Yes we would. Maybe a 12 seed, but we still would.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

TucsonClip wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:So if Miller does a new starting line up and mixes things up and the team does much better, will we punish Miller for not starting the right guys at first like many of you have done with RR with the Tate/Dawkins thing
Havent you been paying attention for the last few years? Remember York over RHJ?
You mean when RHJ was a soph and York a JR in 2015? Or the previous season? Because we went 67-9 over that stretch.

I wasn't a fan either until I realized that we couldn't run a line-up that features only one outside shooter with TJ / Stan / RHJ / Brash / Zeus.

Miller will bench a player, even a four year guy like PJC, for a better player. Just need a better player.

Also: we're not getting guys from Compton Magic anymore - they're Adidas/UCLA now. So pissing off PJC and York's AAU team is no longer a concern.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

TucsonClip wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:There was a point last season when many thought Comanche should have been starting and/or getting more minutes than Ristic.
Not from me. I was not a Comanche fan at all.
Would you partially agree that the offense last year was more fluid with Chance on the floor (rather than Dusan) and without Ristic growing roots in the paint, it opened things up for other players, ball movement was better, players were less stagnant? Or that we looked better defensively, especially against pick and roll/pop etc because Chance (I didnt think highly of him as a defender) was more athletic/mobile? Not being a smartass, you know a hell of a lot more about the game than I do and I'm curious about your take. I didn't think the world of Chance or anything, I just thought in most lineups against more teams than not, the other four guys on the floor were better players and were able to do more when they were playing with Comanche instead of Ristic.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Fucking embarrassing.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Pjc is the best point guard on this team. If you base opinions on red/blue and preseason games then Sidiki and kyrel would have been all-Americans.

The best thing about Chance was the he would go just below free throw line to recieve a pass. That is a soft spot in a zone defense. As far as I could see, no one else understood that in the last several years.

I also feel that having our centers hedge out beyond 3 point line on defense and having them set screens at top of key every time on offense does them no favors. Both situations pull them too far from basket.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Postmaster wrote:I also feel that having our centers hedge out beyond 3 point line on defense and having them set screens at top of key every time on offense does them no favors. Both situations pull them too far from basket.
They made that adjustment to hedge hard because PJC and Trier can't/don't fight through ball screens.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

- Coach of UC Davis
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

We got less votes with 2 solid wins. Can't have a team with 3 losses in the top 25
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Jefe wrote:We got less votes with 2 solid wins. Can't have a team with 3 losses in the top 25
Win tonight and it will be fine
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

23. Arizona (5–3)

Last Week (NR): beat Long Beach State, beat UNLV, beat No. 7 Texas A&M
This Week: vs. Alabama

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2 ... -tennessee" target="_blank

By Molly Geary December 06, 2017

Don't know Molly Geary...so
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

HiCat wrote:23. Arizona (5–3)

Beat Bama and it starts working itself out.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

HiCat wrote:23. Arizona (5–3)

Funny thing about this particular 'Cats team....I think there are more than 22 teams that would beat us on a neutral court tomorrow. I also think there are A LOT less than 22 teams that can beat us on a neutral court come March. Bear Down.
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

Arizona State is number 1 in the ESPN power rankings. They can enjoy it for 19 more days.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Holy shit, Arizona back up to #6 Mr. Yahoo Writer? Please and thank you.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Holy shit, Arizona back up to #6 Mr. Yahoo Writer? Please and thank you.
Who knows? The hallmark of this season so far is zero consistency with teams.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I’m fine with ASU being ranked ahead of us for the time being. They’ve earned it. Their party ends on 12/30.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Asu #5

Arizona #23

https://collegebasketball.ap.org/poll" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Nice to be ranked again. I expect a steady climb in these polls in the coming weeks.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

I don't care too much about the polls yet & I guess it's because of some of these clowns who vote. How 'bout this guy?

http://collegepolltracker.com/basketbal ... 017/week-6" target="_blank
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

How is Kansas ranked and #13? They lost two at home this week (I know only one was at home). Also how does Florida edge us out at #22? Oh well, we are slowly making it back,
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Losing two with one at home and the other at a second home site is far worse than dropping 3 in the Bahamas in November IMO. I assume from above we are #23, not sure we deserve to be ranked yet but we are making progress. Get to 10-3 and then I would think we should be ranked
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:
I mean, really...who the F cares? I guess when you’re ASU and have spent many years as a Pac doormat, being ranked highly is better than sex. For us, it’s pretty mundane.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Kansas ought to be in the high teens or early twenties until they get more players on their team.

Kentucky hasn't done a damn thing and doesn't deserve anything near a top ten vote.

Florida's losses are worse than ours but it's one spot on the board so fuck it.

Agreed with Beachcat - polls are meaningless in December.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I care about our developmental process. If we develop like we can, we can be a 16 seed for all I care. This team hits potentia and it won't matter.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

So wrong seeing ASU ranked much less top 5
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I care about our developmental process. If we develop like we can, we can be a 16 seed for all I care. This team hits potentia and it won't matter.
Seeding and matchups are so important. I get what you are saying about potential but no UA team played to potential in March since 2011. Got to get good enough for favorable matchups in March where you can win at less than your best, which clearly didn't happen the last two years
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Being ranked top 5 and 10 did alot for us the last two years. Good on ASU, would be nice to have teams prep for both teams for once in conference play.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:I don't care too much about the polls yet & I guess it's because of some of these clowns who vote. How 'bout this guy?

http://collegepolltracker.com/basketbal ... 017/week-6" target="_blank

That guy is an absolute joke, how in fuck does he have a job contributing to polls?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Laughable that he has KU at #6. And ASU barely in the top 20. He works in Great Falls, MT and has no business voting in a national poll.
77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I care about our developmental process. If we develop like we can, we can be a 16 seed for all I care. This team hits potentia and it won't matter.

It's all about the process . . .
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote:Being ranked top 5 and 10 did alot for us the last two years. Good on ASU, would be nice to have teams prep for both teams for once in conference play.
Bingo. You can be a 1 seed with bad matchups and a 7 seed with favorable matchups. Seed doesn't mean you get opponents that lend themselves to your style of play. If you want to make a FF, you have to beat some good teams.

We need to get our house in order. This team, playing to full potential, doesn't need to worry about not being a 1.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Preach spiff.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:This team, playing to full potential, doesn't need to worry about not being a 1.
This team playing to its full potential is your 2018 national champion.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:This team, playing to full potential, doesn't need to worry about not being a 1.
This team playing to its full potential is your 2018 national champion.
I agree. That's why polls are beyond the point for me. If you have a NC level team, it's about what it takes to get firing on that level, not about when the media catches on.