Freshman Class

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

HiCat

Re: Freshman Class

Post by HiCat »

Yeah, I liked it.. both brought great energy needed in the moment. Hope they keep improving each game.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Freshman play with energy but make freshman mistakes, just play them so they won't have to learn next year
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I wanted to see more Akot last night. He was playing well but got yanked when he fell asleep on one possession and got beat off the dribble for a layup.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

No Barcello at all
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Jefe wrote:No Barcello at all
I don't think we are going to be seeing much of him for the rest of this year.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote:
Blowouts, maybe. He doesn't look like a viable option against good teams yet.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

RondaeShimmy wrote:Freshman play with energy but make freshman mistakes, just play them so they won't have to learn next year
I remember many AZ freshman over the years that could actually contribute off the bench. These guys do not look like 5 and 4 star players.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

midnightx wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:Freshman play with energy but make freshman mistakes, just play them so they won't have to learn next year
I remember many AZ freshman over the years that could actually contribute off the bench. These guys do not look like 5 and 4 star players.
A talented point guard running the show eliminates a lot of problems.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

zonagrad wrote:
midnightx wrote:
A talented point guard running the show eliminates a lot of problems.
No doubt about it. It is highly unlikely that PJC is going to lead this team to a title. Miller has brought in some incredible talent over the past several years, but his inability to recruit point guards has been a major issue. McConnell, a transfer, was the only viable point guard Arizona has had during Miller's tenure.
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

This freshman class may save us over the next 2-3 years.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

jajoyce wrote:This freshman class may save us over the next 2-3 years.
Agreed.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Am I the only who thinks Ira Lee just doesn't play like he's serious? I wonder if he looks that way in practice, too.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

I specifically watched Ira Lee in today's game and believe that his pouts were timely and appropriate. He looked serious to this untrained eye.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Didn’t get to see the game but WTH happened to Ira??? 6 minutes, 4 fouls and nothing else.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

I did watch the game and was surprised to see his line. He appeared more involved than that to me. Pinder was also active and Miller must have liked him better.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Didn’t get to see the game but WTH happened to Ira??? 6 minutes, 4 fouls and nothing else.
Every time he was in, Oregon went at him successfully. He plays hard, but it was not a good dsy.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Didn’t get to see the game but WTH happened to Ira??? 6 minutes, 4 fouls and nothing else.
Every time he was in, Oregon went at him successfully. He plays hard, but it was not a good dsy.
Thanks Spiff. Wow, only 6 minutes and 4 fouls though....terrible game for Ira no doubt.
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Thanks Spiff. Wow, only 6 minutes and 4 fouls though....terrible game for Ira no doubt.
When people state that Ira should replace Dusan at starter, I can't believe it. Dusan has issues, but its not even close. Ira has tons of potential, but in this game his turnover/fouls (Dylan Smith was also particularly boneheaded today) was the catalyst for Oregons run. As said, they also went straight at him with much success.

The basketball IQ is not there for him, Smith, Akot or Randolph yet. They all clearly have talent and athleticism. I think playing tentatively on such a short lease takes a toll on their judgement.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Oregon’s big guys are active and experienced as always. Dusan was outclassed in one way and Lee in another. Pinder was the only one of the three who could hold his own on D. Plus the refs were crap.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Longhorned wrote:Am I the only who thinks Ira Lee just doesn't play like he's serious? I wonder if he looks that way in practice, too.
Yeah he needs to tough up and grow up.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Alieberman wrote:

Nope.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Still not ready for prime time. The kid needs to play better defense, make a couple of big shots when his number is called. Seems like it would boost his confidence. (my guess anyway)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

HiCat wrote:Still not ready for prime time. The kid needs to play better defense, make a couple of big shots when his number is called. Seems like it would boost his confidence. (my guess anyway)
Is this about Barcello or Randolph? Maybe Lee or Akot?

All four of those guys, you keep wanting to see things click, you think they're just a little bit away, and...
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Alex Barcello’s ‘time will come’ at Arizona
7 comments
Barcello has struggled lately, falling out of UA’s rotation, but Sean Miller still has high hopes for the freshman
By Ryan Kelapire@RKelapire Jan 15, 2018,

“As we’re in the middle of January, there are tough decisions that we have to make to put our team, this year’s team, in the best light,” Miller said. “But he has a great attitude, he’s working hard in practice, and he can get called on at any time with foul trouble, injuries, and he’s working hard everyday to get better.”

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... cartwright" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

2 straight plays where the CU guard saw Barcello was on him and completely destroyed him, like Kobe v. a high school player pretty much sealed his fate for the rest of the season.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Ira Lee has Chris Boucher’s game . . . . but in Dillon Brooks’s body. That actually gives me a lot of hope about his future. He’s going to get stronger and start finishing through contact. And he’s got the timing and hops to be a shot-blocker. Once the game slows down for him, watch out. He’ll start to pick teams apart because he has the capacity to be crafty and explosive.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I know Miller always tightens his rotation come January, but am so surprised that besides Ayton, our freshman class has become basically just filler to get our other starters a little rest.

Still think we need 1 or 2 to step it up by March.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

I may be the only one on here who feels this way, but I like Lee's facial expressions and reactions. I even like watching him on the bench. He is really into the game.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Man I hope Barcello lives up to his potential by Feb. PJC needs a legit backup when the going gets rough.

Savage life.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

DiehardDave37 wrote:I may be the only one on here who feels this way, but I like Lee's facial expressions and reactions. I even like watching him on the bench. He is really into the game.
I feel the same way. I had compared him to a puppy in his energy, motor and enthusiasm. Also in his current difficulty in channeling that energy, motor and enthusiasm in productive directions.

If he is able to learn how to direct his obvious passion into the fundamentals of execution, he should be a really valuable piece going forwards. It's all about the learning curve and maturation for him.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote:I know Miller always tightens his rotation come January, but am so surprised that besides Ayton, our freshman class has become basically just filler to get our other starters a little rest.

Want a concerning stat?

Brandon Randolph is 1-16 from the floor in the last 5 games. He has the highest upside, but he has to be able to make some shots to stay in the rotation. That is a epically bad run.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Alieberman wrote:I know Miller always tightens his rotation come January, but am so surprised that besides Ayton, our freshman class has become basically just filler to get our other starters a little rest.

Want a concerning stat?

Brandon Randolph is 1-16 from the floor in the last 5 games. He has the highest upside, but he has to be able to make some shots to stay in the rotation. That is a epically bad run.
Yikes.

I keep waiting for Randolph, Smith, Lee, or Akot to bust out as that bench scoring threat. Stopped holding my breath a while ago though...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Smith is that guy right now I guess but we really really need either Randolph or Akot to fight and earn some legit playing time
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:Smith is that guy right now I guess but we really really need either Randolph or Akot to fight and earn some legit playing time
Throwing out the game where he got the start in place of Rawle, Smith is 4-14 and 2-9 from three. In the game he started, he was 5-5 (4-4 from three) for 14 points.

Maybe Smith needs to start to be effective?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Want a concerning stat?

Yikes.

I keep waiting for Randolph, Smith, Lee, or Akot to bust out as that bench scoring threat. Stopped holding my breath a while ago though...
I feel bad for Randolph. He can create makeable shots, but they just aren't going in right now.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I thought Akot would be the breakout player, esp. on defense, but the tendinitis must really be slowing him down.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:Smith is that guy right now I guess but we really really need either Randolph or Akot to fight and earn some legit playing time
Throwing out the game where he got the start in place of Rawle, Smith is 4-14 and 2-9 from three. In the game he started, he was 5-5 (4-4 from three) for 14 points.

Maybe Smith needs to start to be effective?
You know that thought actually ran across my mind that if we really wanted a bench player spark we should make Rawle our 6th man... but that's not going to happen
az91

Post by az91 »

HiCat wrote:Man I hope Barcello lives up to his potential by Feb. PJC needs a legit backup when the going gets rough.

Savage life.
LOL, I would be surprised if Barcello plays another meaningful minute this season. I'm not sure there is that much potential there either.
az91

Post by az91 »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Want a concerning stat?

Yikes.

Outside of Ayton, the freshman class has been a dud this year.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

az91 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Want a concerning stat?

Yikes.

Outside of Ayton, the freshman class has been a dud this year.

Ditto. I keep hoping to see them stepping up soon! Tick tock..March is coming boys...we're burning daylight. :P
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Akot has been stepping up and playing big. His energy and intensity you can't teach. Glad to see he's over coming his injuries, and growing pains
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

whatisee wrote:Akot has been stepping up and playing big. His energy and intensity you can't teach. Glad to see he's over coming his injuries, and growing pains
Akot and Randolph have switched roles.

What we need from the freshmen/bench is 10 mpg of busting ass on D, taking advantage of openings on offense and not turning the ball over. That's it.

Having high ceiling players like Randolph, Akot and Lee as multiyear guys is a good thing for our program.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
whatisee wrote:Akot has been stepping up and playing big. His energy and intensity you can't teach. Glad to see he's over coming his injuries, and growing pains
Akot and Randolph have switched roles.

What we need from the freshmen/bench is 10 mpg of busting ass on D, taking advantage of openings on offense and not turning the ball over. That's it.

Having high ceiling players like Randolph, Akot and Lee as multiyear guys is a good thing for our program.
Agreed. We don't need Trier or Ayton getting rest. We shouldn't need Alkins getting rest either. 20 - 30 min a game from our bench is all we need and that's okay.

Hoping this is a good learning exercise for the young players... how much it takes to make it at a high level in this game.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I'm always bothered when natural talent isn't groomed and is played behind lesser, but more experienced talent. I'm glad Akot has carved himself out a role, but it still bugs me that Smith gets the PT over Randolph at this point. It is what it is though and hopefully it's corrected next year.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

I think Randolph will overtake Smith next year due to the "sophomore jump." Smith's extra year on the bench as a Redshirt won't give him the edge that it did this year.
But I still believe Akot is the key for this year. With his defensive potential, we have to give him enough minutes to grow into a role and just "Grin and bear it" when he doesn't quite do his job. He has the tools, he just needs the reps.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I think these frosh will step into their roles nicely when given more early season pt. Not gonna dominate but good for an unexpectedly long run in the tourney next year once they figure it out. Instead of being surprised how early we are out, there will be surprise at how long we stick around.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

How is Lee doing with his concussion protocol? :?:
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

DiehardDave37 wrote:How is Lee doing with his concussion protocol? :?:

I think they already said he won't play until next week at the earliest.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

With the uncertainty surrounding Ayton, if he has completed the protocol, I'd have someone in Tucson help get his butt on a plane to Eugene ASAP. I suppose Ristic, Pinder, Alkins and Akot might be able to handle the ducks inside. Could Jake give us a minute or 2 without TOs? The NCAA has me more paranoid now than I've been in 81 years. I don't trust anyone but you and me, and ofttimes I have doubts about thee.