Post by Alieberman »

I'm offended that it's even a question
84Cat

Re: Who Runs This State?

Post by 84Cat »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

How does this win help our rpi and ranking?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:How does this win help our rpi and ranking?
It should be very good for both. The polls are lagging, but we're stacking some really solid wins together.

This is the game where people start to realize we're not the same team as in the Bahamas any more.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:How does this win help our rpi and ranking?
It should be very good for both. The polls are lagging, but we're stacking some really solid wins together.

This is the game where people start to realize we're not the same team as in the Bahamas any more.
Undefeated on CONUS!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

That Bahamas stink sure hangs around.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

It's all the humidity
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Gotta say this, though: ASU is for real. Bigger, athletic teams can challenge them, but that offense is ridiculous. Think someone else said it's reminiscent of UCLA last year: three point shooters all over the place. They're never really out of a game because when they heat up, they'll put up 15 points like it's nothing. But also like UCLA, they can be taken out by a disciplined team who plays solid defense. I don't expect ASU to lose more than a game or two in the Pac.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Alabama thumped Texas A&M, which I think is good for us. Both of those SEC teams will make the tourney. Too bad UCONN is having injury issues and is fading, otherwise that win might have helped too.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Beachcat97 wrote:Gotta say this, though: ASU is for real. Bigger, athletic teams can challenge them, but that offense is ridiculous. Think someone else said it's reminiscent of UCLA last year: three point shooters all over the place. They're never really out of a game because when they heat up, they'll put up 15 points like it's nothing. But also like UCLA, they can be taken out by a disciplined team who plays solid defense. I don't expect ASU to lose more than a game or two in the Pac.
Hard to say right now because the Pac is so bad. I'm still waiting for USC to start playing well. And that may never come. The trip to Utah will be tough because Pac 12 refs are horseshit. You just know there's going to be a game or two on the road where Ayton will get in early foul trouble because he breaths heavily.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Postmaster wrote:It's all the humidity
Humidity, and lack of Alkins. What a difference maker.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Alieberman wrote:I'm offended that it's even a question
Me too Alieberman....No offense Spiff but a thread like this almost has the opposite effect. We are giving ASU way way way too mich credit for finally getting lucky and putting together a decent team. Why are we giving them free PR like this?

I bet they are ecstatic to see threads like this on our board. Now the flip side is that when the inevitable happens and Hurley bolts (maybe after this or the next year) their hearts will be crushed and they will crash back down to the bottom of the P12.

Also, guaranteed that if they win in Tempe they will storm the court and act like they won the NC. Enough said about this despicable institution. BTFD.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

probably, like, whoever the governor is. would be my guess
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm still waiting to hear whether Arizona's win against ASU was a technical loss.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Longhorned wrote:I'm still waiting to hear whether Arizona's win against ASU was a technical loss.
Some pretty one-sided home cooking from the refs, but I'm going to go ahead and call it a technical win.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

enfuego wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I'm still waiting to hear whether Arizona's win against ASU was a technical loss.
Some pretty one-sided home cooking from the refs, but I'm going to go ahead and call it a technical win.
Didn't watch the game did you?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:
enfuego wrote:
Oh he watched the game alright.

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

enfuego wrote:
ASU shot 25 FTs; AZ shot 23.

That's some strange "home cooking."
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Merkin wrote:
enfuego wrote:
Heh heh heh.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Me too Alieberman....No offense Spiff but a thread like this almost has the opposite effect. We are giving ASU way way way too mich credit for finally getting lucky and putting together a decent team. Why are we giving them free PR like this?

I bet they are ecstatic to see threads like this on our board. Now the flip side is that when the inevitable happens and Hurley bolts (maybe after this or the next year) their hearts will be crushed and they will crash back down to the bottom of the P12.

Also, guaranteed that if they win in Tempe they will storm the court and act like they won the NC. Enough said about this despicable institution. BTFD.
Eh, I always celebrate a win vs ASU. I take extra pleasure in reminding their fans who little brother is after.

Oh, you're taking school records this year? Here, take an L.

For me, every time we beat ASU, I love a thread to remind them (yet again) their place in the college basketball world in Arizona. They're #2 until GCU takes that over.
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:

Eh, I always celebrate a win vs ASU. I take extra pleasure in reminding their fans who little brother is after.

Oh, you're taking school records this year? Here, take an L.

For me, every time we beat ASU, I love a thread to remind them (yet again) their place in the college basketball world in Arizona. They're #2 until GCU takes that over.

I really don't understand our fans who claim they are happy that ASU is better and we have TWO GREAT TEAMS FOREVER, because of some bullshit pride of the STATE OF ARIZONA blah blah blah. If you are into that, let's pray GCU can be a Gonzaga of sorts, or NAU can possibly become a poor mans Wichita State.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Beachcat97 wrote:
enfuego wrote:

I laugh when someone posts free throws to evidence a game was officiated evenly. I'll give you a hint: home cooking can also be those calls which are not made against the home team.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

enfuego wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
enfuego wrote:

I laugh when someone posts free throws to evidence a game was officiated evenly. I'll give you a hint: home cooking can also be those calls which are not made against the home team.
So then it's subjective?
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

enfuego wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
enfuego wrote:

Let's see.......

Total fouls......40

ASU - 20
U of A - 20

Home Cooking it is .........NOT!
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Wanna know why ASU lost? Because that hot shooting of theirs disappeared in McKale Center. They missed a lot of open shots, and a lot of contested ones. That has nothing to do with the refs.

Only reason we won by 6 and not 16 is because we turned the ball over 16 times. If those turnovers are cut in half, the game isn't close in the final minutes.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Wanna know why ASU lost? Because that hot shooting of theirs disappeared in McKale Center. They missed a lot of open shots, and a lot of contested ones. That has nothing to do with the refs.

Only reason we won by 6 and not 16 is because we turned the ball over 16 times. If those turnovers are cut in half, the game isn't close in the final minutes.
One of the reasons for all those turnovers is ASU is very quick. They play 4 guards a lot of the time. Plus the Cats have only one good experienced ball handler. And that is PJC. Teams that pressure the Cats will always give us trouble.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

enfuego wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
enfuego wrote:

enfuego’s female parts are still hurt since he/she now finally realizes that McKale is a better home venue than AFH......go ahead and cry enfuego.....there you go.....just let it out.

PS. Do you have any links to the replays of UW (KC is a home game) and ASU’s humiliation of KU at AFH? Lol.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

That was a Dave Hall game. He has a lot of history against Miller. I was in Maui when they won the tournament and he was boo'd off the court. It was so bad, he had to sneak through another door at half time to get back on. We use to have a video of Miller calling him something as he walked away. Dave Hall is the worse ref in the entire world. So to say UA got anything from him is laughable. In fact down the stretch, Tempe was the benefit of a lot of calls that either came from anticipation or him being out of position. Since Tempe's coach looks like someone his burning his house down at every dribble, people think he is getting bad calls. I mean how can someone act that way if he isnt right? Oh wait he acts that way every single time he is on the court. If UA didnt miss some easy lay ups with about 2-3 minutes left, it would have been a 10-12 point lead.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

GCU number two soon?

Now ASU has no excuses to keep dodging them.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Yep. If asu does not play GCU in the 2019-2020 season you know Bobby Hurley, Ray Anderson, and Michael Crow are the biggest liars and pussies of all time.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
prh

Post by prh »

Awesome news for GCU, since they really did get hurt by the stigma of the for-profit online diploma mills. But I can't see asu starting to play them in various sports, because if and when asu starts losing to them, asu indisputably drops below GCU. Plus, on asu's (potential) schedule, GCU's home court environment is only surpassed by ours.