Rocky Mountain Road Trip Discussion

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Utah is looking good, swept the Oregon trail on the road

Game will be on ESPN, place should be hyped

Colorado isnt looking good,
Spaceman Spiff

Re: Rocky Mountain Road Trip Discussion

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Utah's been weird. They got blitzed by UNLV earlier. Colorado's been more consistent, but not in a good way.

We are still flawed and building. Coming out with intensity, focus and execution are our challenges. We can't take either like a gimme. We have shown improved D, and that plus our rebounding needs to be constant. Miller said we played D for 30-32 minutes vs ASU. That number needs to go up, and we can't be getting matched on the boards.
prh

Post by prh »

Anybody feel like going to the Utah game? I think I'm the only one around here but just thought I'd check. There's tons of tickets available in the visitor's section.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

This could be a rough trip for the freshmen. Did Dylan Smith go last year? Will Chase Jeter go this year? Do they leave a day early for some adjustment to the altitude?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

DiehardDave37 wrote:This could be a rough trip for the freshmen. Did Dylan Smith go last year? Will Chase Jeter go this year? Do they leave a day early for some adjustment to the altitude?
Playing at UNLV & New Mexico should help. Both of those were packed arenas.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

DiehardDave37 wrote:This could be a rough trip for the freshmen. Did Dylan Smith go last year? Will Chase Jeter go this year? Do they leave a day early for some adjustment to the altitude?
Tucson has a pretty high altitude. I never worry about the altitude on this trip and actually love when UA plays in SLC in the NCAA tournament
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
prh

Post by prh »

PHXCATS wrote:
Tucson has a pretty high altitude. I never worry about the altitude on this trip and actually love when UA plays in SLC in the NCAA tournament
Tucson is at 2400 ft and the Huntsman Center is at 4800. That's a pretty big difference and you can definitely feel it. Highly fit college athletes should be fine for the game, although they might feel it walking around. It's nice that we visit SLC before Boulder though. Do love having tourney games here although the UA turnout is lower than you'd expect for being out west.
Last edited by prh on Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

The Pit is a mile high up as well, didn't impact the guys much.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

prh wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
DiehardDave37 wrote: Do they leave a day early for some adjustment to the altitude?
Tucson is at 2400 ft and the Huntsman Center is at 4800. That's a pretty big difference and you can definitely feel it. Highly fit college athletes should be fine for the game, although they might feel it walking around.
Elevation induced oxygen debt presents at the first ramp up in exertion. After that a well conditioned pulmonary system adjusts pretty quickly to sustained output. A couple of practices at or above 5000 ft. and our guys are fine. They always are it seems. Off topic but of note, in my experience weird shit starts to happen at 8000 ft. and above: circadian rhythm and sleep disruption; loss of mental acuity; dehydration way above what one would expect.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I’m good up to about 12000k. Then the insomnia kicks in. Headache at 14000k, never hand any loss/decrease of mental acuity however. I’m up in the sierras at least once a month which helps for keeping acclimatized.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

I was a hiker and guide with SAHC (Southern AZ Hiking Club) in the 1990s in my 50s. That 8000' rang true for me. I was noticeably slower getting to the top of peaks over that altitude.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

CalStateTempe wrote:I’m good up to about 12000k. Then the insomnia kicks in. Headache at 14000k, never hand any loss/decrease of mental acuity however. I’m up in the sierras at least once a month which helps for keeping acclimatized.
Way to rock the high elevation CST! I bet the first 500' pitch up the trailhead knocks your dick in the dirt and then it all comes back. It's kind of like hyperventilating in preparing to hold your breath for 90 seconds....ramp up the respiration cycle before the O2 debt kicks in.

I had to process lots of numbers/data and found it more troublesome especially after sleeping poorly. Also, the worst hammy cramps of my entire life came after 13 hours at 11,500. Oh, Momma.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

DiehardDave37 wrote:I was a hiker and guide with SAHC (Southern AZ Hiking Club) in the 1990s in my 50s. That 8000' rang true for me. I was noticeably slower getting to the top of peaks over that altitude.
Oh yeah. I was 50 when we camped at 9000' for 2 months of New Mexico work. I think I didn't really sleep for two weeks, just kinda hallucinated until it was time to get up and go back up top. Ugh.

~ Wilhoit's Law
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:I’m good up to about 12000k. Then the insomnia kicks in. Headache at 14000k, never hand any loss/decrease of mental acuity however. I’m up in the sierras at least once a month which helps for keeping acclimatized.
Way to rock the high elevation CST! I bet the first 500' pitch up the trailhead knocks your dick in the dirt and then it all comes back. It's kind of like hyperventilating in preparing to hold your breath for 90 seconds....ramp up the respiration cycle before the O2 debt kicks in.

I had to process lots of numbers/data and found it more troublesome especially after sleeping poorly. Also, the worst hammy cramps of my entire life came after 13 hours at 11,500. Oh, Momma.
You guys are way out of my league. The highest I hiked was the Grand Canyon rim to rim 3 months before I was 60. A friend in the SAHC did the highest peak in CA for his 80th birthday.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

DiehardDave37 wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:

You guys are way out of my league. The highest I hiked was the Grand Canyon rim to rim 3 months before I was 60. A friend in the SAHC did the highest peak in CA for his 80th birthday.
Hey, hat's off to you Dave. I doubt I'll crank the high elevation now that I'm retired. CST does it just for the love and obviously so do you and your buddy. I think I'm still burned out on it, but that's what work does to you. Keep lacein' 'em up guys! Breathe deep and remember the Sunscreen!

~ Wilhoit's Law
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Have hiked mt. Wrightson and mt. Lemon numerous times. Both are 9000+. The trail at Wrightson took it out of me.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Hiked the finger rock trail, in the Santa Catalinas, up to Kimball Peak in my early 30s. That becomes a rise in elevation in a short time. If you aren’t in decent shape you won’t make it.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:Have hiked mt. Wrightson and mt. Lemon numerous times. Both are 9000+. The trail at Wrightson took it out of me.
LOL! Wrightson was the one I had most in mind about struggling to finish. I think I hiked 10' and rested 10' several times until I finished. Luckily the guide was a friend who tolerated my slowness.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Catintheheat wrote:Hiked the finger rock trail, in the Santa Catalinas, up to Kimball Peak in my early 30s. That becomes a rise in elevation in a short time. If you aren’t in decent shape you won’t make it.
So true. I think both Finger Rock peaks and Kimball are all Emblem peaks. I was 4 tough Emblem peaks short of my 75 patch when I left Tucson.

OK, back to the thread: Utah should be the tougher of the two games. I'd like to see the bench with serious minutes and production in CO and also in Utah if feasible, but I have doubts that that will be possible. I feel good about Ayton, Alonzo, and Alkins. I have thought for a while now that it takes 3 stars to make a deep run. We have that. I am also getting more comfortable with the seniors PJC and Ristic. We can go all the way if we emphasize their strengths and substitute when their weaknesses hurt us if we ever develop a bench.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:The Pit is a mile high up as well, didn't impact the guys much.
If anything, we wore NM down. The basic key is bench production, which lightens the load on starters. Bench production is always a goal, though.

I'd see it as an opportunity. Time to get in the ear of your bench players about how we need them ready due to the altitude.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

With stuff like that I always think of going to Prescott. Its actually 1000 feet higher than Salt Lake and I never have an issue with that. Going from Prescott to Flagstaff I noticed it more though. Since its only a 2000 ft difference from Tucson, I think any effect is minor.
prh

Post by prh »

The biggest thing I've noticed visiting SLC and then moving here is that I'll get winded going up stairs or walking a few blocks. I've never had any issue with actual physical activity. Didn't mean to start a big discussion on it since I agree they won't have any problem, I just phrased it poorly in my first post.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

prh wrote:The biggest thing I've noticed visiting SLC and then moving here is that I'll get winded going up stairs or walking a few blocks. I've never had any issue with actual physical activity. Didn't mean to start a big discussion on it since I agree they won't have any problem, I just phrased it poorly in my first post.
It's a very real thing. My freshman and sophomore years I was in phenomenal shape - we ran 3 miles most days, with two of those days in a week including stadiums on each lap around the track. I'd spend winter breaks outside of Salt Lake City, and I made sure I got my daily running in so I wouldn't lose it all for the spring. I could go maybe 1.5 to 2 miles before I felt like my lungs were on fire/going to explode, so I'd stop there. When I got back to Arizona, 3 miles felt like nothing for quite some time. Years later, not in shape, I spent a significant amount of time in a sea-level city and I could run for as long as my legs let me, virtually no issues with my lungs/being winded.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

prh wrote:The biggest thing I've noticed visiting SLC and then moving here is that I'll get winded going up stairs or walking a few blocks. I've never had any issue with actual physical activity. Didn't mean to start a big discussion on it since I agree they won't have any problem, I just phrased it poorly in my first post.
This seems common to everyone and was the same for me. You blow your first lung faster, but once you're going, it seems to decrease in impact and just come back to normal rate of fatigue.

The only time altitude really hit me, I was a kid visiting the Rocky Mountains. We drove up and hiked approximately 11,000 feet. I remember being shocked that I just couldn't catch my breath.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Years ago I skied in Little Cottonwood Canyon (Alta, Snowbird) a lot, but traveled there from San Diego where I lived. I would normally put in 7-8 hours a day on the mountain, hard advanced skiing. Alta and Snowbird are obviously at a much higher altitude than SLC. I was in excellent shape at the time, running 20-25 miles/week. The altitude had no noticeable effect on me. These kids are a lot younger than I was at the time, and basketball shape is better than whatever good shape I was in. Not concerned.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

As far as altitude as a factor in the games - Arizona going to Utah or Colorado to play should have no more effect than any of the California schools coming to Tucson - approximately same differences in elevation.

On the other hand fans can be a factor. Colorado fans can be a bit annoying but Utah fans can be downright mean and nasty.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Utah has the worst fans in the country, they are down right nasty
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

97cats wrote:Utah has the worst fans in the country, they are down right nasty

I honesty didn’t know this until i saw their fans on twitter. Mostly bitching about recruits and Miller being a cheater and just really digging in deep. We “stole” Lauri from them and delusional BS like that. Love their coach but fuck that fan base.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Elevation at the Tucson airport is 2,643 feet. Going to 4,800 feet, for an athlete, should have a negligible impact. I am an old guy, not very athletic. We go to Sedona about once a year and I do quite a bit of hiking up there (4,500+ feet) and have no problems. I DO have problems up on Mt. Lemmon, get winded easily, but Sedona and Payson (4,800+) don't give me any elevation problems. Prescott (almost 5,400 feet), I get a bit winded out hiking.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I also think it is good to get this trip done early. Think the altitude will have a bigger impact later in the year.

I think asu will fall off a bit later in the year when their legs get tired and they cant get the same lift. Their shooting will go down. Too bad they are going on the trip this week also.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I don't think they are close to being in ASU's stratosphere. I've been to CBB and CFB games up there and spent a whole year of college up there as well. Delusional, yes, self-inflated opinions about their programs, yes. If you ask a BYU fan, they are an absolute nightmare, but you don't have to roll in there and worry about someone mocking the death of a coaches wife or a player's father. I've told the story about when my dad and I rolled into their place in 2005 when the Cats gave them the biggest home loss in their history. We were both fortunate to leave that game without punches being thrown. But I've been in far worse, and quite a bit of the "problem" was us giving it to them hard all night (pause) because they were cocky and mouthy the entire time before our boys started to completely destroy them later in the first half. It is a tough place to play though, and their fans are loud and definitely "show up" when we are in town.

At the end of the day though, I think there is a mutual respect between our programs (if we aren't playing/competing for a conference title), and the mutual respect and admiration CMS and Coach K have for each other further solidifies that.
prh

Post by prh »

Meow do you come out here anymore? I love a good day at Snowbird, so if you ever feel the need again, let me know. Or if any of you other fools want some world class skiing
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

prh wrote:Meow do you come out here anymore? I love a good day at Snowbird, so if you ever feel the need again, let me know. Or if any of you other fools want some world class skiing
Thank you, PRH. I'm older and have become more responsible about skiing, so no plans soon - but you never know. I loved staying at the Alta Lodge, and would take a "break" from Alta and visit Snowbird from there often. Good times.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Utah. Huntsman Center. Is there any other venue in the world where an Arizona basketball coach felt it necessary to pull his team from the floor before the final buzzer and have them go directly to the buses without changing out of their uniforms for fear of physical harm? Where else have you seen fans hold coins with a set of pliers while heating them red hot with butane cigarette lighters and then throwing them at, and hitting, Arizona players?

Utah fans are mean and they are nasty.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Our 2016 team was easily Miller's worst since 2012.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

rgdeuce wrote:
I don't think they are close to being in ASU's stratosphere. I've been to CBB and CFB games up there and spent a whole year of college up there as well. Delusional, yes, self-inflated opinions about their programs, yes. If you ask a BYU fan, they are an absolute nightmare, but you don't have to roll in there and worry about someone mocking the death of a coaches wife or a player's father. I've told the story about when my dad and I rolled into their place in 2005 when the Cats gave them the biggest home loss in their history. We were both fortunate to leave that game without punches being thrown. But I've been in far worse, and quite a bit of the "problem" was us giving it to them hard all night (pause) because they were cocky and mouthy the entire time before our boys started to completely destroy them later in the first half. It is a tough place to play though, and their fans are loud and definitely "show up" when we are in town.

At the end of the day though, I think there is a mutual respect between our programs (if we aren't playing/competing for a conference title), and the mutual respect and admiration CMS and Coach K have for each other further solidifies that.

ive had the misfortune of watching games in both arenas, and UTAH puts ASU to shame.

also, ive traveled all over the country and watched many a game, and the only fans that are worse than Utah that i have been around in terms of pure cruitly are Missouri fans.
prh

Post by prh »

Got my tickets today, in the visitor's section. Let's go Cats
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

What will you be wearing? LOL!
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

AZ opened - 4.5 and is now -3.5 at Utah. That is tighter than I expected.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

For sure. That's FTs at the bitter end.

~ Wilhoit's Law
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

DiehardDave37 wrote:AZ opened - 4.5 and is now -3.5 at Utah. That is tighter than I expected.
KenPom has it as an Arizona win by 2.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

YoDeFoe wrote:

I honesty didn’t know this until i saw their fans on twitter. Mostly bitching about recruits and Miller being a cheater and just really digging in deep. We “stole” Lauri from them and delusional BS like that. Love their coach but fuck that fan base.
Yeah, noticed that too. Do they have any decent hoops fan site? This one sucks: http://www.utefans.net/list.php
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

YoDeFoe wrote:
DiehardDave37 wrote:AZ opened - 4.5 and is now -3.5 at Utah. That is tighter than I expected.

realtimerpi.com has us losing 74-85 currently with a 27% chance of winning. :shock:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:

realtimerpi.com has us losing 74-85 currently with a 27% chance of winning. :shock:
Is there a Salt Lake in the Bahamas? This is pretty important re: which projection is closer.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
IndianaZonaFan wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:

Is there a Salt Lake in the Bahamas? This is pretty important re: which projection is closer.
I'd like to know what drugs they have circulating through that office. Are they hiring?
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Covers.com now has us as -3, down from -3.5. Obviously some Utah money came in since I first posted. IIRC, Yesterday, ESPN had us with a 63.9 % chance of winning.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Massey has it at 75-70, Cats.

https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php? ... ty+of+Utah" target="_blank
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

I'm betting big on Utah being the first place that's gets a FBI chant going
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'll have my full player matchup by position breakdown with video analysis posted by 3 PM.