Brandon Williams

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Brandon Williams

Post by Merkin »

Don't recall any recruits who bailed on Arizona saying they might come back actually do come back.

Abdul Gabby committed, bailed, recommitted, then bailed again.

Did Solomon Hill commit, bail, then commit to USC, then commit back to UA? Maybe him.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:Don't recall any recruits who bailed on Arizona saying they might come back actually do come back.

Abdul Gabby committed, bailed, recommitted, then bailed again.

Did Solomon Hill commit, bail, then commit to USC, then commit back to UA? Maybe him.
Solomon certainly applies, Jerryd Bayless as well

Either way this situation is very unique.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

I guess I am just hanging my hopes on him saying it was always his dream to play at Arizona.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

BBQ wildcat wrote:I guess I am just hanging my hopes on him saying it was always his dream to play at Arizona.
Well he's flirting with Bol right now on Twitter, so whatever.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

ChooChooCat wrote:
BBQ wildcat wrote:I guess I am just hanging my hopes on him saying it was always his dream to play at Arizona.
No surprise. At one point, they were going to be playing at AZ together, so it will not be surprising to see them play at an alternative destination.
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

Bet he comes back like Bayless.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

midnightx wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
No surprise. At one point, they were going to be playing at AZ together, so it will not be surprising to see them play at an alternative destination.
Nothing says thanks to the program that stuck by you when many others dropped you due to injury concerns than committing to a conference rival.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

As long as things are stable at AZ, it wouldn't surprise me to see BW end up in Tucson. His affinity for AZ is well documented. Sure, these teens are fickle, but I'd say we're still leading. He'll probably look at Oregon, and it's hard to blame him. But the Ducks return all of their guards, so it's a little harder for Altman to promise him playing time. Miller can tell him he's the starter from day one.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Fwiw Brandon Williams is already wearing the gold jersey in practice.
Might as well have this discussion in this thread, but how long until we're calling for Williams to start solo at the point? My guess is by mid to late December, and getting more intense by conference play.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Fwiw Brandon Williams is already wearing the gold jersey in practice.
Might as well have this discussion in this thread, but how long until we're calling for Williams to start solo at the point? My guess is by mid to late December, and getting more intense by conference play.
Based on what I saw from Coleman in Red/Blue, now would be an ok time for me. Coleman's Red/Blue game was pedestrian.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Yup, I'm full on board with playing Williams over Coleman out of the gate. But kinda of have to give the benefit of the doubt, we'll see what happens with the exhibitions and the cupcakes before Maui. What Coleman supposedly has over PJC last several years is a true leader of the team and more aggressive (and tougher) player The former, I think Coleman actually brings, If the latter doesn't happen, just play Williams. Have a suspicion that Coleman will be the Ristic of this year's team, there will be obvious good things he brings, but the deficiencies might be too much.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

I get the feeling that BWill doesn't want to be a full time PG.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

SunnyAZ wrote:I get the feeling that BWill doesn't want to be a full time PG.
Because full time PG isn't as sexy these days or something? Is Trae Young the new normal?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

So it goes with Arizona...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Because full time PG isn't as sexy these days or something? Is Trae Young the new normal?
Do we mean full time PG or pass first PG? PG's who are also good scorers and score and pass equally are good to have. Our best point guards fit that mold.

Pass first point guards who are less concerned with scoring were fine in older schemes, but are more of a liability in modern offenses. In a more modern scheme, having a guy like PJC who dribbles the ball up, then passes it off removes a scoring option and modern offenses work best when everyone's a threat.

Watching the Red/Blue game, I don't have those concerns about BWill. I'm mainly concerned that his D needs to become more consistent off ball and his turnovers need to decrease.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Just will reiterate that Miller is intending to move to a two ball handler line-up, as he's made clear in his recruiting pitches. Its possible though that since we already have BWill on board and Nico signed up, he may not need to stick to it throughout the season - especially given that a Coleman and BWill line-up is nothing close to a Nico and BWill line-up.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

If he is on the court and playing well who cares
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

The Two PG/ball handlers thing I have been pushing for since the first season without TJ. The idea is they both could handle the ball handling and both score. Coleman definitely looks to be a worse shooter than PJC, seemingly more aggressive and better in traffic. If he's not as aggressive as he was at Samford because his game doesn't translate to high level ball then he's a wasted body on offense if he's just bringing up the ball and setting plays. Especially if Williams can do that, and likely far better.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Coleman has a history as a more productive PG than PJC, specifically in the three ways that I want my modern PG to impact the game: assists, three point FGs, and lay-ups/FTs. I'm hoping to see him continue that at Arizona.

For reference, both Coleman and PJC played about 1,900 minutes over their last two seasons (Coleman split between Alabama and Samford). Here are their per 40min numbers:

PJC: 4 three point attempts / 2 free throw attempts / 6 assists

JCole: 6 three point attempts / 4 free throw attempts / 7 assists

Last season, in a similar number of minutes, Coleman took about twice the number of shots at the rim, twice the number of free throw attempts, and 30% more three point attempts.

The big concern with the interior numbers is "maybe that's just against bad competition." I think he can still penetrate but I'm forecasting that he won't be as efficient or productive there.

What I think will translate, and what's most important to me, is that Coleman can pass the ball and is a willing three point shooter. That last part is crucial in keeping the defense honest (spread out) as a pass first point guard. It was the big knock on TJ (a complaint that continues in his NBA play). It was my big gripe about PJC last season.

Last year, PJC was the third most efficient three point shooter in the Pac-12 at 41.7%. Yet he wasn't even in the top 20 in three point field goal attempts - not even close - despite playing about the tenth most minutes in the conference. That was an absolute waste.

If you don't use a pass first point guard as a scoring threat, you allow the defense to play four on five, collapsing into the paint and cutting off passing and driving lanes. I don't need Coleman to take 5 two pointers a game like last season - I do need him to take 5 three pointers. If he can maintain or improve on his 37% at that production he'll be very helpful on offense (especially if he's taking them at NBA range).

They say Coleman brings toughness and leadership - the best way he can show that to me is having the stones to take the open shot from three. Teams are going to look at him as the least threatening player on our team. I need Coleman to make them regret it.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

He's been struggling lately (so has Coleman), particularly finishing at the rim. He has to improve there or pull up and drop floaters.

Doubt he's 1&D
billk78

Post by billk78 »

NYCat wrote:He's been struggling lately (so has Coleman (, particularly finishing at the rim. He has to improve there or pull up and drop floaters.

Doubt he's 1&D
I don't think he's 1&D but I also don't believe he's struggling. He's a freshman who is improving every game. He doesn't hurt us at all and it feels like hes capable of taking over a game at any minute. He has a high basketball IQ. A pass-first player, but he can shoot when needed. Also hustles on defense. If he can develop a mid-range jumper/floater, look out. Sometimes when he drives it's a thing of beauty (like today with that head fake) :o
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:He's been struggling lately (so has Coleman), particularly finishing at the rim. He has to improve there or pull up and drop floaters.

Doubt he's 1&D
He's a freshman. The talent is there, but this is why very few freshmen PG's are one and done. He needs to keep learning and growing on D and with A/To's. The rest will solve itself.

BWill and Nico next year will be something.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Smeg. ..
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Sucks but we knew it was coming. Curious how Jeff Goodman is the first to report it?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Jefe wrote:Sucks but we knew it was coming. Curious how Jeff Goodman is the first to report it?
The ugly motherfucker wasn't supposed to. Announcement was coming from AZ/Williams family in literally a couple of weeks.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Jefe wrote:Sucks but we knew it was coming. Curious how Jeff Goodman is the first to report it?
The ugly motherfucker wasn't supposed to. Announcement was coming from AZ/Williams family in literally a couple of weeks.
What an asshole.

If he broke any hippa he and the hospital should be sued
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Feel terrible for the kid. Get well soon, BWill.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

This shit always happens to literally the best guys.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Will we ever not have a season derailed before it even begins?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:Will we ever not have a season derailed before it even begins?
This is a loss but it does not derail the season
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Continuing his status as the second worst UA alum in media.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

PHXCATS wrote:
This is a loss but it does not derail the season
No, it doesn’t. Still Pac favorites with a strong chance for a good tourney seed. Really gotta take care of business in the OOC schedule.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

It is just crazy that like clockwork some bomb is dropped every August to November. Oh well. I didn't watch any games after January last year but I feel bad for the kid.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

It changes things, but doesn't necessarily derail them. We lose a lot of flexibility, but we still have super talented guys like Nico, Green, Jeter and Nnaji. We just don't have much room for error now.

Nico has to perform. Green too. Smith, Hazzard and Doutrive have to handle minutes. Jeter, Nnaji and Lee need to provide an inside presence so that it isn't all on the weakened perimeter core.

Thing is, those guys can get it done.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Who is first?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Postmaster wrote:
Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Who is first?
Geraldo
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
97cats

Post by 97cats »

god damn it never fucking stops - fucking manic
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
It changes things, but doesn't necessarily derail them. We lose a lot of flexibility, but we still have super talented guys like Nico, Green, Jeter and Nnaji. We just don't have much room for error now.

Nico has to perform. Green too. Smith, Hazzard and Doutrive have to handle minutes. Jeter, Nnaji and Lee need to provide an inside presence so that it isn't all on the weakened perimeter core.

Thing is, those guys can get it done.
Just can't have one of those top four guys go down, especially Nico(!)

All our prayers/cheers/conversations should end in "and health unto Arizona Basketball, amen/cheers/plastic bags are fine thank you."
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats wrote:
god damn it never fucking stops - fucking manic
It's truly fucking disgusting.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

That would have been a deadly combination in the backcourt BUT YOU'VE BEEN AUDITED BY GOD.

Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Has he been on the bench the first couple games?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Frybry02 wrote:Has he been on the bench the first couple games?
Yes.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Yes.
Great! I honestly haven't looked for him but will tomorrow.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Frybry02 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Yes.
Great! I honestly haven't looked for him but will tomorrow.
He does pregame shoot-arounds too
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

BWill getting up shots...
I’m about to frame that photo for my unborn child so they know what determination looks like.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Jefe wrote::|

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDM5O4fhrI_/" target="_blank
Anyway to add a screenshot of what this says?