Brandon Williams

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Brandon Williams

Post by Merkin »

Koloko is out there too according to comments with the dunk?

Wonder what Miller thinks about Koloko being out there during a pandemic?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:Koloko is out there too according to comments with the dunk?

Wonder what Miller thinks about Koloko being out there during a pandemic?
He's not on campus, so he's not in the campus bubble yet, so it's fine.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Jefe wrote::|

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDM5O4fhrI_/" target="_blank
fuckin a....if this dude was healthy, we'd be a top 10 caliber team imo. he looked pretty damn good/healthy in this clip...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

goslingswagg wrote:
Jefe wrote::|

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDM5O4fhrI_/" target="_blank
fuckin a....if this dude was healthy, we'd be a top 10 caliber team imo. he looked pretty damn good/healthy in this clip...
He does look really quick like he used too, but I think the question is whether his knee(s) can take the grind of a college schedule which is probably pretty doubtful.

Kind of reminds me of the situation with Jawann McClellan and all his knee issues. Lute asked him if he wanted to try and get eligibility for a 5th year, he said no, he's had enough.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

He looks great in the vid but thats not too high tempo. Part of me wants us to risk it but we cannot bear another star going down for the year or a potentially life altering injury. So sad

I would have thought we'd have news on his future by now. Assuming AZ still wants an in person look but thew writings on the wall? All I want is 10 mins a game!
gronk4heisman wrote:Anyway to add a screenshot of what this says?
Its a video of him playing 5 on 5 from a couple weeks ago. Doesn't work or dont wanna click?
Merkin wrote:Koloko is out there too according to comments with the dunk?
I thought that looked like him. That pass to him was incredible on the dunk. Amazing vision
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Think we made the decision to move on from BW too quickly.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Kokoskie the main guy in this decision? You gotta trust his opinion
prh

Post by prh »

How many basketball players can we think of who had knee issues that got better? He looks good in clips but I can't help but think it would not have worked out
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

prh wrote:How many basketball players can we think of who had knee issues that got better? He looks good in clips but I can't help but think it would not have worked out

Not sure of the entire history of Brandon Roy, but for a dude with degenerative knees he had a great college career. To bad they went downhill quick 5 or so years into his NBA career. Dude still played his way into a nice contract though.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Beachcat97 wrote:Think we made the decision to move on from BW too quickly.
We didn’t “move on” so much as the Program’s docs couldn’t vouch for those knees and in what time Williams does have, he shouldn’t be wearing down the knees or risking them playing for free if he’s talented enough to get paid somewhere.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

JMarkJohns wrote:
We didn’t “move on” so much as the Program’s docs couldn’t vouch for those knees and in what time Williams does have, he shouldn’t be wearing down the knees or risking them playing for free if he’s talented enough to get paid somewhere.
Isn't BW still on scholarship? If so, isn't it his decision (barring medical/behavioral/team rule exception) whether he continues on the team/scholarship?
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

pc in NM wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:
Isn't BW still on scholarship? If so, isn't it his decision (barring medical/behavioral/team rule exception) whether he continues on the team/scholarship?

Unless it's changed, scholarships are only on a year to year basis and need to be renewed annually. Ray Smith was able to convert his athletic scholarship to an academic one by medically retiring, which Williams apparently won't do.

If the UA medical staff can declare Gronk's back is good enough to play (which it wasn't according to his doc), and the UA medical staff says William's knees are not good enough to play, that has to tell you how bad his knees really are.

I understand Williams wanting to make a career in a game he loves, but at some point you have to realize that you want to be able walk again without pain at some point.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Merkin wrote:
pc in NM wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:

Unless it's changed, scholarships are only on a year to year basis and need to be renewed annually. Ray Smith was able to convert his athletic scholarship to an academic one by medically retiring, which Williams apparently won't do.

If the UA medical staff can declare Gronk's back is good enough to play (which it wasn't according to his doc), and the UA medical staff says William's knees are not good enough to play, that has to tell you how bad his knees really are.

I understand Williams wanting to make a career in a game he loves, but at some point you have to realize that you want to be able walk again without pain at some point.
Has the medical staff, in fact, said "William's knees are not good enough to play" - I understand that he would then come off scholarship - but, from everything I've read thus far, including CSM comments, that seems to remain an open question...
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

pc in NM wrote:
Merkin wrote:
pc in NM wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:

Has the medical staff, in fact, said "William's knees are not good enough to play" - I understand that he would then come off scholarship - but, from everything I've read thus far, including CSM comments, that seems to remain an open question...
I wonder if HIPAA is involved? You know more about it than I do, or FERPA?

It was Gronk's parents who broke the story about the UA medical recommendation if memory serves, the schools cannot release it themselves without permission.
prh

Post by prh »

CopaCat wrote:
prh wrote:How many basketball players can we think of who had knee issues that got better? He looks good in clips but I can't help but think it would not have worked out

Not sure of the entire history of Brandon Roy, but for a dude with degenerative knees he had a great college career. To bad they went downhill quick 5 or so years into his NBA career. Dude still played his way into a nice contract though.
Being from Oregon and a Blazers fan back then, Roy is usually my favorite comp for BW. But, Brandon Roy played full college seasons and didn't have nearly as much trouble (as it relates to missing time) as BW. His knees held up remarkably well all things considered. Once they were shot, then he was done.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

JMarkJohns wrote:
Clearly it's a challenging situation on both sides. AZ had to find a way forward that protects BW's health but also considers the program's interests. Will BW beat the odds, get back to 100% and have several good years of hoops? Unlikely but not impossible. Is BW better off starting his pro career now while he's regained enough functionality to actually play and land a contract somewhere? Probably. Is AZ better off not risking the near-term future of the roster by waiting for a guy whose status is "long-shot" at best? Probably.

Nevertheless, I hope BW is able to fully recover and do big things, wherever it may be.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... cholarship" target="_blank

Arizona guard Brandon Williams looking spry in return from knee surgery

By Ryan Kelapire@RKelapire Jul 30, 2020, 12:21pm PDT

It’s still not completely clear what the future holds for Brandon Williams, but there is no doubt he can ball when healthy.

Some recent highlights of the Arizona guard surfaced on Instagram, and Williams looked impressive, sinking some long jumpers, flashing a tight handle, and even showing some explosion off the dribble as he wore a compression sleeve on his right knee in what appears to be a gym in Woodland Hills, California, a short drive from his hometown of Encino.

Williams was cleared to return to basketball activities by his doctors in early June after missing all of last season after undergoing another knee surgery to correct osteochondritis dissecans, a congenital condition that has hindered him since high school.

Williams said earlier this offseason that he will “definitely” play in 2020-21, but “it’s just a matter of where.” That comment led to speculation that he will be transferring or going pro, but Arizona coach Sean Miller left the door open to a return.

Miller said in June that the key will be getting Williams back on campus so UA doctors can evaluate him and see how his body holds up after going through intensive workouts.

The Wildcats are expected to return to campus in mid-August for the first time since the 2019-20 season was canceled in March. Normally they return in June, but the coronavirus pandemic forced the UA to delay re-entry.

“Especially coming back from a surgery of that magnitude, that may be the most crucial part,” Miller said in June. “It’s the time where you’re put on the court with others. It’s a time where you get cleared to do more than just straight-line running, jumping, going side to side and shooting. And then you start to monitor his symptoms. Does he experience swelling when you do this? No. And then the other part is... when you go through surgery like you go through, it’s not your knee, you’re more susceptible to other injuries. Like, you lose your hamstring, you lose your quad. He hasn’t played 5-on-5 basketball in quite some time. So without his ability to finish everything that we set out to finish, what he did is what all of our players did. He went home, finished school, and did the best that he could.”

As constructed, Arizona’s roster is one player over the 13 scholarship limit, another reason it has seemed unlikely Williams will suit up for the Wildcats again.

But until a move is announced one way or another, Williams remains a part of the program and his status will be something to monitor as the season approaches.

If the redshirt sophomore does to return to the Wildcats and can stay healthy for a full season—another big question mark—he will be a big boost to a backcourt that returns Jemarl Baker Jr. and adds Georgetown transfer James Akinjo, Seattle U grad transfer Terrell Brown and Estonian guard Kerr Kriisa.

Williams averaged 11.4 points and 3.4 assists as a freshman in 2018-19 while shooting close to 40 percent from 3 in Pac-12 play.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Feels like these Instagram videos are BWill marketing himself to other programs.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Would love to keep BWill. But apparently we can’t have nice things.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:Would love to keep BWill. But apparently we can’t have nice things.
I'd love to keep him too.

But what if we take Tautvilas Tubelis's schollie away to make that happen and then Azuolas decommits because they are a package deal? And then what if 1/3rd of the way through the season BWill's knee is all jacked up and he can't play? Now we don't have our starting 2 guard or the guy who would have been our starting 4. Is that a risk we should take?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
prh

Post by prh »

Considering how roster uncertainty has been an overwhelming theme the last few years, even if BW is able to play, I don't fault Sean at all for wanting to minimize potential disruptions.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:Is that a risk we should take?
High risk, high reward.

On balance, it's probably better to stick with our current roster. So few guys make it through an entire season without any kind of injury, and BW is one awkward fall away from re-injuring himself.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Only reason to keep him is if the Euros don't make it to US soil, if they even have a season at all here.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

He can get up: https://imgur.com/Uo9LNRC" target="_blank
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Will BWill be back when players return on August 12th?!
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Hate to keep bumping this but damn https://imgur.com/F1JDvMu" target="_blank

Last tagged location I saw this week was not Tucson
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Jefe wrote:Hate to keep bumping this but damn https://imgur.com/F1JDvMu" target="_blank

Really wish we could find a way to keep him. He’s going to play regardless. Why can’t it be in an Arizona uniform? Because we can’t have nice things.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Jefe wrote:Hate to keep bumping this but damn https://imgur.com/F1JDvMu" target="_blank

Really wish we could find a way to keep him. He’s going to play regardless. Why can’t it be in an Arizona uniform? Because we can’t have nice things.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

You can say that again.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Least surprising development ever
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I wish him nothing but success wherever his career takes him.

Bear Down BWill.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

The guy made it ok to pick Arizona again, I will never forget that. He deserves so much better than the hand that has been dealt to him and I hope he makes as much money doing the thing he loves as possible.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I remember being in my car -- think it was a Saturday -- when BW committed to AZ, and I let out a "yes!" as if we'd just won a game at the buzzer. His choice of AZ, as Choo said, was a huge deal at the time.

Wishing the young man tons of success with his next chapter!
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

If his knees are healthy enough to play, then his skills are good enough to get paid. I understand the dynamic. I hope it works out for him.

He wants to play. This isn’t Ray Smith knowing he was done on those knees of his. Even if Williams suspects, he has the right to know, and if Arizona docs can’t clear him in full conscience for whatever reason, but other doctors are, then he should play where the other doctors are clearing him.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

He may only have one or two good years left, if that, so can't fault him a bit for not trying to get some money before his knees go out. A couple of $100K Euro contracts would be nice with a free apartment and car.

So all the best to him, and good health.

Although as a parent myself, I would have recommended to medically retire, get your academic scholarship, and get your degree. Then try for a pro contract. He is still a young man. Can't coach in college without a degree. JeT, Miles and more all came back to finish there degree but they were more financially set.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Merkin wrote:He may only have one or two good years left, if that, so can't fault him a bit for not trying to get some money before his knees go out. A couple of $100K Euro contracts would be nice with a free apartment and car.

Although as a parent myself, I would have recommended to medically retire, get your academic scholarship, and get your degree. Then try for a pro contract. He is still a young man. Can't coach in college without a degree. JeT, Miles and more all came back to finish there degree but they were more financially set.
I had hoped he would “medically retire” from Arizona, finish his bachelors, then transfer as a Grad Student and petition to unretire and play one season elsewhere leveraging the upside of one season into a free graduate degree/showcasing for pros/Europe.

I think it could have been done, allowed further rehab and strengthening, and sets him up with a bachelors at least, likelihood of a graduate degree, possibility of professional 1/2/3 year career, then a return to be a coach or even secondary graduate student as part of the peripheral coaching staff (or a staff, somewhere).
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Cannot wait to watch him back in action. Did he even come back to get checked out?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

JMarkJohns wrote:
Merkin wrote:He may only have one or two good years left, if that, so can't fault him a bit for not trying to get some money before his knees go out. A couple of $100K Euro contracts would be nice with a free apartment and car.

I had hoped he would “medically retire” from Arizona, finish his bachelors, then transfer as a Grad Student and petition to unretire and play one season elsewhere leveraging the upside of one season into a free graduate degree/showcasing for pros/Europe.

I think it could have been done, allowed further rehab and strengthening, and sets him up with a bachelors at least, likelihood of a graduate degree, possibility of professional 1/2/3 year career, then a return to be a coach or even secondary graduate student as part of the peripheral coaching staff (or a staff, somewhere).
Probably could have done a covid opt out and not had to “medically retire”.
But my guess is he wants to play now, while the knees are working. Plus he has been sitting out a long time already.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

JMarkJohns wrote:

I'm not sure that makes sense with how his knees are. One of the issues here has been that rehab doesn't seem to benefit his chronic condition.

So, go pro, take the money you can get before the chronic condition stops you fully, then take a next step. If he wants to go the college coaching route, he can return to school at 25 with no issues.

Time weighs much more heavily on basketball potential than it does school and coaching.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Entering the G League draft Monday
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Happy to see him get a shot in the league, even if its due to Covid
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Good for him. I hope he shows out.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dmjcat wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:10 pm Happy to see him get a shot in the league, even if its due to Covid
Hell yeah!

I always felt so bad his career at Arizona got derailed with the knee. Being on an NBA roster is fulfillment of a dream of his and I'm glad to see him live it out.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Never been so happy to see us wrong on a guys future
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

That is up there on the scale of horribly misinformed tweets.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/342 ... title-2017

A little confused. I thought BW had a serious, more-or-less career ending injury, which is why his AZ career was cut short. Was the seriousness of the injury misdiagnosed/overstated, or is he just greatly defying the odds at the moment? He's been really doing well with the Blazers.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

From my understanding, he was uninsurable. His knee is basically bone on bone and there was huge exposure for a college to play an unpaid amateur vs him as a professional paying out of pocket early to chase dream and then finding success and getting paid to play enough he doesn’t need insurance.