Unlucky

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dovecanyoncat

Re: Unlucky

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Play better and you don't need luck.

Have more luck and you don't need to play better.

Team only controls one of those variables.
This. Spiff: always our precipitate. The need for luck correlates to dysfunction. Dysfunction is further reducible to both luck and the intangibles I prattle on about as "hunger". Luck never exits the equation, and that's a matter for Arizona fans of longer and more intelligent pedigree than me to discuss, but if hunger, as a condition, is measured minute to minute in all its metrics, the games' halves were polar presentations.

We're getting better, I think. But we aren't an integral entity. Our best pieces are inconstant and our best pieces don't improve our weaker elements. We haven't teamed. My neophyte-hack-fan prediction: we are a SS or EE team at best, which makes me proud but apologetic.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
PHXCATS wrote: Hats off to Washington for playing smart ( knowing Ayton blocks balls out to the 3 point line)
Ummmmmm what?
I cannot find video of the one a little earlier but at the end of the game right now, but look at the final play. Green is in perfect position to get the blocked ball and to shoot.

Washington on the final play.

You have the driver who gets swatted. You have two other guys crashing to get a board/putback. Then you have Green in perfect position for the ball being swatted to the corner. You also have one other guy moving to the top of the key to get the ball potentially if Ayton swats it that way.

Ayton swats the ball OB towards the baseline or tips it high to grab it or uses two hands like Walton always preaches, U of A forces OT.
this needs a Beachcat timeout. It is pure troll now
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

UW learned where to stand from the DWill block.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I’d just like to mention that Ayton blocks 6% of the shots he’s able to. If UW is spacing their offense based on something that doesn’t happen 94% of the time, well, that’d be... um... not smart.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Postmaster wrote:UW learned where to stand from the DWill block.

In the 10th row?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Puerco wrote:I’d just like to mention that Ayton blocks 6% of the shots he’s able to. If UW is spacing their offense based on something that doesn’t happen 94% of the time, well, that’d be... um... not smart.
Yeah, but that number rises to 50% in shots taken in Seattle, WA in the last 10 seconds of a game.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Imagine for a second that you’re in the Washington huddle that happened when Arizona called timeout with 39 seconds left....

Coach: Look, Ayton is about to tie this thing up because none of you bags of crap can defend one-on-one worth a shit. After that happens, I want you to run “Syracuse Blue”. Jaylen, you need to take the ball to the rack. Now, I’m counting on you getting your weak shit swatted by that man-beast Ayton because you’re a freshman and you’ve never faced anyone legitimately 7’1” so you take terrible fucking angles to the rim. Green, you better be right where we practiced when Jaylen’s shitty shot gets destroyed. If all goes to plan, we’ll win this bitch. Ok go get ‘em boys!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Chicat wrote:Imagine for a second that you’re in the Washington huddle that happened when Arizona called timeout with 39 seconds left....

Coach: Look, Ayton is about to tie this thing up because none of you bags of crap can defend one-on-one worth a shit. After that happens, I want you to run “Syracuse Blue”. Jaylen, you need to take the ball to the rack. Now, I’m counting on you getting your weak shit swatted by that man-beast Ayton because you’re a freshman and you’ve never faced anyone legitimately 7’1” so you take terrible fucking angles to the rim. Green, you better be right where we practiced when Jaylen’s shitty shot gets destroyed. If all goes to plan, we’ll win this bitch. Ok go get ‘em boys!

:lol:
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

The take that teams plan and position themselves for retrieving blocked shots is one of the worst in the history of this board.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
cats101

Post by cats101 »

zonagrad wrote:
cats101 wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
cats101 wrote:This team just isn't that great. Disappointing season.
Riiiiiigggghhhhht. First place and top ten without a key player for much of the season. Just lost to a really good team, on the road, by a prayer. See Longhorned's post about basketball knowledge and take it to heart.
So, this team wins more than 2 games in March? Which team since November has this team beaten worth bragging about? I'm typically an optimistic Homer, but I'm sorry this team just isn't that great. College bball stinks this year.

Btw uw is barely a tournament team. At best.
Oh, I don't know. We beat Texas A&M BEFORE they were hit with suspensions. We beat Alabama, which just knocked off Oklahoma AND Florida on the road. Remember Florida? An Elite 8 team a year ago? We beat an undefeated and prematurely praised ASU team and knocked them off their pedestal. We won at Stanford, which by all arguments is a tournament caliber team now that they're healthy.

I do know one thing. We didn't shit the bed at home against Oklahoma State. And we didn't shit the bed at Madison Square Garden, on network television, against a St. John's team in the depths on an 11-game losing streak. We lost to a tournament caliber team that played out their asses, got every lucky bounce and every call and still needed a desperation game winner to put the nail in our coffin.
Just lost at home to an average UCLA. Nothing else to be said. 2 losses in a row at home to Alford coaches teams. Explain this. This team sucks. The Miller era is in trouble
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Cats were unlucky they ran into Gyorgy Goloman tonight. :roll: :mrgreen:
Last edited by Frybry02 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

When you can't play D, you have to believe in myths like Luck and lack thereof.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Funny how it seems Miller is always unlucky
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:Funny how it seems Miller is always unlucky
He should totally start positioning our players so they can gather loose balls after their teammate gets his shot blocked...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Frybry02 wrote:Cats were unlucky they ran into Gyorgy Goloman tonight. :roll: :mrgreen:
Anybody else die of laughter when GG drove right past Trier for an easy lay up early in the 1st half? The jokes write themselves.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Actually he is not... you don’t win as many games & conference championships as he has being unlucky... he has certainly had his moments as everyone does.

This season has undoubtedly been disappointing... and if it were representative of his tenure here, I would not be as supportive of him as I am. Something is wrong on this team, and I am not sure what it is.

Whatever the case, Miller is responsible and the buck stops there. But I am not going to judge a successful coach’s tenure by his most disappointing season any more than I am going to judge an unsuccessful coach’s by his best.

Everybody has low points; hell, look in the mirror - your entire life is one. Guys like you & RR are the unlucky ones: look how many conference games he lost and how shitty his recruiting classes were pretty much every year.

It is a testimonial to his success that we are 9-3, tied for first, and we are all disappointed.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Harvey Specter wrote:
This season has undoubtedly been disappointing... and if it were representative of his tenure here, I would not be as supportive of him as I am. Something is wrong on this team, and I am not sure what it is.
We had similar conversations two seasons ago with a less talented (but still should have been a lot better) team that seemingly checked out before the tipoff in the Wichita State tournament game. Last season we were rolling and peaked at our win in Pauley, then things went south quick, only to bounce back for the Pac 12 tournament and then put on a disgrace of a performance in the Sweet 16 that made no sense.

These teams all have four things in common: Trier, PJC, Ristic, and Miller. Hate to pick on a very talented player who has won us quite a few big games, but deductive reasoning tells you what the root of the problem most likely is.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

As regards his attention to his deficiencies his leadership by example is appalling. Why should anyone else put in more effort on defense than he does?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

rgdeuce wrote:Last season we were rolling and peaked at our win in Pauley, then things went south quick, only to bounce back for the Pac 12 tournament and then put on a disgrace of a performance in the Sweet 16 that made no sense.
Look at our losses and look at Rawle's box scores. You may find an interesting correlation.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
We had similar conversations two seasons ago with a less talented (but still should have been a lot better) team that seemingly checked out before the tipoff in the Wichita State tournament game. Last season we were rolling and peaked at our win in Pauley, then things went south quick, only to bounce back for the Pac 12 tournament and then put on a disgrace of a performance in the Sweet 16 that made no sense.

These teams all have four things in common: Trier, PJC, Ristic, and Miller. Hate to pick on a very talented player who has won us quite a few big games, but deductive reasoning tells you what the root of the problem most likely is.
As far as players go, the thing is they all need something as a complement to their skill set. The biggest issue, IMO, is that they all need help on D. Trier and PJC had Kadeem to bail them out, but they don't any more.

There's always a core on a team. This year's core doesn't include a defender who can make up for the shortcomings of others. That's why the issue has metastasized, at least in my opinion.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

YoDeFoe wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Last season we were rolling and peaked at our win in Pauley, then things went south quick, only to bounce back for the Pac 12 tournament and then put on a disgrace of a performance in the Sweet 16 that made no sense.
Look at our losses and look at Rawle's box scores. You may find an interesting correlation.
Yup.

If Rawles hitting it opens us the game so much more for the others
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

YoDeFoe wrote:

I get this point...but I don't know if I fully agree.

I see a little of Ayton hitting the wall that other Frosh do...around the same point in the season. I will say that he's powered through it better than any others that I can think of. If look at all the games since January 20th, excluding the spectacle at Wazzu...he's shooting only 45% from the field in those games.

I don't think it matters much in the long run, but I think Ayton is adjusting to the grind of PAC play (and the fucking officiating) and how teams in conference have double and triple teamed him, and decide to flop and hold/foul him every time he touches the ball. He will be fine and will benefit from big time games going forward where there is more emphasis on "letting them play".

For reference, I decided to look at Lauri's performance around the same point in the season. Lauri scored 8 points against Oregon State, 4 against Oregon, 8 against Stanford, 6 against Cal, (19 against that same shit Wazzu team), and 12 against UW. Late January and early February games are the toughest on Freshman IMO.

My point with all this is, I think we are looking at the freshman wall from Ayton, although it is hardly noticeable. I believe fully what Miller said that "this team goes where Ayton goes"...and that makes me optimistic.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Someone asked Miller during the presser if the Cats live and die by Alkins. He said no, Deandre.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Merkin wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Someone asked Miller during the presser if the Cats live and die by Alkins. He said no, Deandre.
Deandre is the most important, but given our poor defense we live and die by whether all of our big three are delivering.

However, my specific point was regarding the "made no sense" loss to Xavier. I contend that it made plenty of sense: Our second wing scorer played with a broken shooting hand and couldn't get a bucket.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Merkin wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Deandre is the most important, but given our poor defense we live and die by whether all of our big three are delivering.

However, my specific point was regarding the "made no sense" loss to Xavier. I contend that it made plenty of sense: Our second wing scorer played with a broken shooting hand and couldn't get a bucket.
It's the fan's lament, which is totally accurate and not just an excuse, but a reason...but sports culture is "doesn't matter...that's an excuse. You are as good as the team you have."

Sure, but in basketball, you have 5 to 9 key players. When Brandon Ashley broke his leg, we were 22-0 and making teams just quit with about 6 minutes left. We went from 22-0 to losing 4 and then the regional final. We had a reasonable replacement option for a stretch 4, but his dumb ass got told by God to go to the NBA with a 9ppg average.

Sure, Duke beat us in the title game in 2001. And Jay Will blah, blah. But we were missing Gilbert Arenas due to a fluke separated shoulder...our best scorer...and his replacement, Luke Walton, had a broken arm. Played, but...please explain to me how that is not a factor? Your best scorer separates his shoulder on a dunk late in the semi-final?

Sure, we lost to Xavier last year (umm...they seem to be pretty good. Yes, a year later, but...#4? And, yeah, they got gifted this weekend's game), but our starting wing, maybe closest to emotional leader on this team, and general badass at the time of the injury Rawle Alkins broke his fucking hand and couldn't shoot. Like could. Not. Shoot. And the team we played packed a zone in so tight they were playing a 0-5 against us. That Fucking Matters!

Even the shit year a couple of years ago...Trier is playing with a damaged hand himself. Not that that one would have mattered. It isn't automatic.

It takes applying common sense. But sports fans don't like that, usually. Every announcer hates them, the refs are biased against them, there are global conspiracies (OK...we actually had one Vegas conspiracy) that people will use as reasons. But don't dare give an EXCUUUSE. Like 20% of your scoring just walked off the court, never to return..
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

All that's true...but things even out...eventually
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Olsondogg wrote:All that's true...but things even out...eventually
Do they?

Do they?

Or am I going to be like my older friends, staring at possibly not living to see a Rose Bowl, which used to be a joke, but now is starting to become possible?

I went to the 2001 Final Four. I said "I will never miss a Final Four we are in." With 3:30 remaining in Chicago, my wife asked my itinerary. I had plane tickets, hotel, reunion of college friends from the area...everything but the ability to hold a 15 fucking point lead, or an 8 point one with 1:30 or so.

I had plane tickets and a place to stay for Dallas in 2014. Concerned about any jinx, because I am insane, I said "I am going anyway...visiting friends." Brandon Ashley breaks his leg, a ref makes the worst offensive foul call ever, and I am sharing a plane with Nick's mom, flying to Dallas to meet Nick because he is going to declare for the draft. To add insult to injury, I come to this board (or Goazcats, I suppose...I was pretty new to it) and share what I was told...and am called a "child" and "idiot" and that I was lying to rile us up because Nick was staying. OK...His mom is just flying to Dallas where Nick is getting some award and seeking out people wearing the A (I recognized her...I had friends whose kids played with Nick for years) to give false info.

I have been to 6 Final Fours now. Only one that my team was in. I want it as bad as anyone, but still think the arbitrary nature of fans insisting we win 4 instead of 3, still 2 short of a title, is insulting to the coaching staff. But I love the party...that shouldn't be part of judging a coach, but as a fan, it is fun. And I want to go back.

With my team (though, for the Final Four fetishists...it is no fun to go and lose in the first game).
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

EVCat wrote:
Do they?
yes
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Olsondogg wrote:
EVCat wrote:
Do they?
yes
I am holding you to that.

If I die on the way home, I will find you and haunt you.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

EVCat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
EVCat wrote:
Do they?
yes
I am holding you to that.

If I die on the way home, I will find you and haunt you.
Heh, heh. Now that's what ya call reversion to mean (spirit).

~ Wilhoit's Law
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
EVCat wrote:If I die on the way home, I will find you and haunt you.
Do you even math?

If he dies driving home it’s definitely due to the median and not the mean.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:
Do you even math?

Or if he's on the wrong side of the equation and can't perform a standard deviation.

~ Wilhoit's Law
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:
Do you even math?

Or if he's on the wrong side of the equation and can't perform a standard deviation.
What if the accident is particularly violent and I end up on both sides of the equation?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

CalStateTempe wrote:When you can't play D, you have to believe in myths like Luck and lack thereof.
Postulating that certain bad results (losses) are impacted by random chance is a very far cry from asserting that ALL bad results/ losses result from bad luck. You know that...

The latter would be akin to saying "Scooby was a 2-star... we should recruit more 2-stars".

Well I went to Starbucks this morning and it rained. I hope it rains tomorrow, so I am going to Starbucks again.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Harvey Specter wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:When you can't play D, you have to believe in myths like Luck and lack thereof.
Postulating that certain bad results (losses) are impacted by random chance is a very far cry from asserting that ALL bad results/ losses result from bad luck. You know that...

The latter would be akin to saying "Scooby was a 2-star... we should recruit more 2-stars".

Well I went to Starbucks this morning and it rained. I hope it rains tomorrow, so I am going to Starbucks again.
"every time I sit down the phone rings. I better quit sitting down"?
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

MrMeow wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Well, every time I forget to set my drink perfectly on the corner of the table, the Cats give up a bucket or miss.

Are you saying these things do not correlate?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

EVCat wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:
Do you even math?

What if the accident is particularly violent and I end up on both sides of the equation?

Fractions ... yuck. Messy.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Harvey Specter wrote:

Is the point of this to elicit the stereotypes I have about Starbucks patrons? Because I have a few of them.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

EVCat wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Well, every time I forget to set my drink perfectly on the corner of the table, the Cats give up a bucket or miss.

For the love of God man, figure out your drink placement already! I personally rely on the buddy system.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
EVCat wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

For the love of God man, figure out your drink placement already! I personally rely on the buddy system.
Pffft ... you guys seem to lack a proper sense of essential determinants. Unless you're a piker the drink at hand is always a constant wherever it's proximate location. The outcome of Wildcat games is inversely dependent on hatred of our opponent regardless of conference, seeding or distant memory. There are some subtle personal components: based on the universal torment quotient, when under great duress our team will rally if one stops watching, but will play like shit if a rally brings one back to audience ... this seems never to fail. Better that we should win than fans should watch.

~ Wilhoit's Law
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

If I wear an even number of zona apparel, they suck, so I have to make sure to wear three pieces, if it's a big game, I wear my blue zona sweats, long sleeve blue zona shirt, and my good fitted hat that usually does it, like I will get home from work and hurry up and change so that I can be wearing the right clothes. Because of course my clothing is what determines outcomes. And I have to be standing up or doing laundry, or the dishes or else they poop the bed. My wife loves game night, she goes to bed and wakes up and the house is clean. "Oh we won" she says when she gets up.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Oh, and If I laugh out loud because Kansas or Asu lost, or I cheer against a foe, we are screwed.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

For a while, it helped us win if I watched without pants.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Merkin wrote:Image
Damn straight! there is no math if you understand what really matters. Sheesh!

~ Wilhoit's Law
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Is the point of this to elicit the stereotypes I have about Starbucks patrons? Because I have a few of them.
I do not drink coffee, so I do not go to Starbucks.

In this case, it is fair to conclude that generall people who do not drink coffee are not Starbucks' patrons.

*** Example was for illustrative purposes only.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Harvey Specter wrote:

Or, CST could simply be stating that without this team playing some defense, luck won't matter because we aint winning 6 games in March. Lucky or not.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

What is that famous quote? Something about the harder I work the luckier I get?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

PHXCATS wrote:What is that famous quote? Something about the harder I work the luckier I get?
A cliche is about the most insightful thing I would expect you to contribute to the board...

Hard work pays off, no doubt. And those who do not accept that lost outcomes in life are also heavily impacted by chance are doomed to a life of miserable delusion. You are a living example.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Harvey Specter wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:What is that famous quote? Something about the harder I work the luckier I get?
A cliche is about the most insightful thing I would expect you to contribute to the board...

Hard work pays off, no doubt. And those who do not accept that lost outcomes in life are also heavily impacted by chance are doomed to a life of miserable delusion. You are a living example.
The quote I've heard that sounds like what PHXCATS was saying is:

"The luckier I got with your mom, the more she said 'harder.'"

I'm just not sure how that applies to Arizona basketball?