If Sean Miller is fired, who should replace him?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

U.P. Zona Fan

Re: If Sean Miller is fired, who should replace him?

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Zona is still a great job. Yes it's a mess now, but they aren't gonna tear down facilities, there are a ton of teams that are going down, there is great tradition and the school wants to have an excellent program and is willing to pay well to have it. Look at Penn st. Yes this sucks, but if we can get a great coach recruiting will pick back up.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

My money is on a really old woman from Japan.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Excellent point about Penn State. If they can come back, anyone can. That’s the worst sports scandal of my lifetime. By far.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I don't know, maybe you can Miller and romar, suspend ayton and alkins, and make a statement, to be the clean program of the future, and start looking for coaches. Be the first, make the loudest statement, get a great coach. I don't know. Might be able to be the first to rise out of the mire and have a leg up on the competition. Have to set ourselves apart in order to return to prominence soon.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:I don't know, maybe you can Miller and romar, suspend ayton and alkins, and make a statement, to be the clean program of the future, and start looking for coaches. Be the first, make the loudest statement, get a great coach. I don't know. Might be able to be the first to rise out of the mire and have a leg up on the competition. Have to set ourselves apart in order to return to prominence soon.
The old rise-to-the-top-by-giving-them-the-knife-to-cut-off-our-dicks plan?
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

No relevant coach is going to want this job next year.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

midnightx wrote:No relevant coach is going to want this job next year.
Including Romar, I'd think. Why would Romar want to add 0-26 to his record? Just need to name an interim coach who's level is commensurate with the non-Division I players he'll coach. Hope the investigation and sanctions occur sooner rather than later. And hope that down the line there's still enough a sense of brand name to build upon that an up-and-coming coach would consider the chance.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

The "real " replacement will be the coach after the next one....

... say, when McKale has another sellout in three of four years from now....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

I'm still all in on Miller at this time. Matt Brase would be an interesting as far as alumni are concerned.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Stoudamire would be my first choice, but I wouldn’t wish this rebuilding project on anyone.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

As the university will need more help than ever, my first choice would be to throw booster money at the problem. If Arte Moreno would help out (I assume this is a big if), I'd throw a $25 mm, 5-year contract at Chris Beard; then I'd throw a $20 mm 5-year contract offer at Matt Painter. My feeling is you have to try. Either one would be a savior.

After trying maybe three times at this, I think Damon Stoudamire is a decent idea or, perhaps, an unknown assistant coach might pan out on our first attempt. If not, we're on coach # 2 in year #3. I also think this is a different era. I think some coaches will raise their hand wanting the job.....good ones. Arizona/Tucson will remain a desirable destination with a lot of cache.

As for Sean Miller, I understand the "all in" mantra of some here. There is a tremendous shock. But IMO, having SM stay, even if he could, is not realistic, nor wise. He is too tainted; the program is too damaged; as we know, ESPN alone has been savaging him all day; every hour a different announcer has put the blindfold over his head and sent him to the firing squad.

This is a divorce that is best for all parties.

There's a limit what anyone can take and Sean himself, who purportedly was "looking for an out," was possibly headed out the door on his own accord BEFORE the last 24 hours. Taking the money and running might be better for his own health.....and I believe, Arizona's health, as well.

Like it or not, the school has to move not only on this, but away from this.
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

Canning an innocent man is not a standard I'd want to set.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

BibbysTowelDude wrote:Canning an innocent man is not a standard I'd want to set.
Nor me.

But with Book's firing, he's not innocent.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Look we're going to have to go the route that USC did after Tim Floyd got busted for paying OJ Mayo and sign a sacrificial lamb for a few years to weather the shit storm and nobody is better for that than Lorenzo Romar. After every thing has blown over then you fire Romar and go all out for the best candidate.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Jason Gardner?
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Look we're going to have to go the route that USC did after Tim Floyd got busted for paying OJ Mayo and sign a sacrificial lamb for a few years to weather the shit storm and nobody is better for that than Lorenzo Romar. After every thing has blown over then you fire Romar and go all out for the best candidate.
This is correct, the actual Miller replacement will be the second one hired.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

ChooChooCat wrote:Look we're going to have to go the route that USC did after Tim Floyd got busted for paying OJ Mayo and sign a sacrificial lamb for a few years to weather the shit storm and nobody is better for that than Lorenzo Romar. After every thing has blown over then you fire Romar and go all out for the best candidate.
Romar is the perfect guy. A man deserving of the adoration he gets. (The anti KO.) He might just take the job for a simple $1.7 mm, too. Inertia is powerful. He can stay in his current house.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Bill Walton and son.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

How many alumni have excelled at coaching Div I ball? I realize Pastner made COY one year, but he really sucks, and no one likes him.

Walton, Kerr, Damon, Miles, Bibby, and so on have not shown they can do well at this level.

Bring in a young head coach at from a mid-major who still has lots of energy and can recruit well, and most of all wins.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

If Miller is gone, I absolutely DO NOT WANT Josh Pastner. That would kill our program. Kill it. DO NOT WANT!!!

I'd entertain Stoudamire after his year at Pacific. Maybe Miles Simon...maybe. Recruiting is still the lifeblood.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Bobby Knight
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

You know, I think I could be alright with Romar in the short term. He’d recruit well and is a good person. He’s not an elite coach, but he may be the best we can do at the moment.

This is all contingent, of course, on whether he’s implicated in the Fultz allegations.
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

Hank of sb wrote:As the university will need more help than ever, my first choice would be to throw booster money at the problem. If Arte Moreno would help out (I assume this is a big if), I'd throw a $25 mm, 5-year contract at Chris Beard; then I'd throw a $20 mm 5-year contract offer at Matt Painter. My feeling is you have to try. Either one would be a savior.

After trying maybe three times at this, I think Damon Stoudamire is a decent idea or, perhaps, an unknown assistant coach might pan out on our first attempt. If not, we're on coach # 2 in year #3. I also think this is a different era. I think some coaches will raise their hand wanting the job.....good ones. Arizona/Tucson will remain a desirable destination with a lot of cache.

As for Sean Miller, I understand the "all in" mantra of some here. There is a tremendous shock. But IMO, having SM stay, even if he could, is not realistic, nor wise. He is too tainted; the program is too damaged; as we know, ESPN alone has been savaging him all day; every hour a different announcer has put the blindfold over his head and sent him to the firing squad.

This is a divorce that is best for all parties.

There's a limit what anyone can take and Sean himself, who purportedly was "looking for an out," was possibly headed out the door on his own accord BEFORE the last 24 hours. Taking the money and running might be better for his own health.....and I believe, Arizona's health, as well.

Like it or not, the school has to move not only on this, but away from this.
if he wants to leave fine but don't fire him and have to pay all the money. He can resign and go elsewhere if he wants. I'm all in on keeping Sean and I don't it's necessary we fire him should he be vindicated.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Bibby is an interesting thought but does he have a degree?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Big fat no on any of the alumni
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Randy Bennett
Eric Musselman
Chris Beard (if we're lucky)
Some coach of a Cinderella team
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Does Jay Wright have any promising assistants? That program is thriving as much as any these days.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Dan Majerle.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Maybe Shaka Smart wants to get out in front of the pitchforks and go to a basketball-first school?

His 47-46 record at Texas now would definitely set up an interesting 4th season.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I hate marjele

Not sure Smart will ever do well outside of east coast
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Just go the mid-major route. I never like the hot assistant hire.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
az91

Post by az91 »

Irish27 wrote:Jason Gardner?
He has been awful at IUPUI.
az91

Post by az91 »

billk78 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
billk78 wrote:Why in the world would Steve Kerr ever leave the best team in the NBA to come take over a program in the middle of a dumpster fire. This is going to take YEARS to recover from gentlemen.

My best guess is Romar would take over in the interim with CSM being suspended until more evidence is collected. If the evidence is clear then they will likely clean house. Miles Simon is a good name to throw out there...but he has a good job. Arizona used to be a dream job....now it's going to be who in the world would actually take us.
You gotta make the call. 99.99 percent he wont take it but you gotta try
That's very true. Kevin O'Neil has displayed a great deal of knowledge on FS....and he's probably great with the kids.

But on a real note....what's Sean Elliot up to?
Sad to think that our best option might be Kevin O'Neill. For all his shortcomings, he has run clean programs.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Doesn’t KO have a drinking problem? Thought that came out during his one season as our coach.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I don't think he has any problem drinking

I thought he got a bad rap from fans but I've also heard he didn't handle the players very well
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

Mike Bibby
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

A high school coach?

No again on any alumni.

Kevin O'Neill went 19-15 at Arizona in his one year with Budinger, Bayless, and Jordan Hill on the roster, 3 long term NBA players, along with Jamelle Horne, Nic Wise and Jawann McClellan.

Remember when Jamelle had a really good game, and the next game never got off the bench? One pundit asked KO why, and he said he completely forgot about him.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Look guys if you hire an alumni and put them in an absolute non-winning situation you are going to end up firing them and that is going to piss off other alumni. Just say no to an alum coach unless he's a proven winner. If we're in a position where we need a sacrificial lamb for a few years you already have him employed. Just bump him up, let him deal with the bruises and then you can really move on as a program.

Let's be clear if Arizona is letting go of Sean Miller today it's because they think more bad shit is inbound, so we're not going to get any of the coaches whose names we threw out here earlier.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Thanks you choo for this.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

So, nobody wants to keep Romar on for the transition?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azgreg wrote:So, nobody wants to keep Romar on for the transition?
That's pretty much exactly what I eluded to in my post.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I’d love to. But what would Romar get out of it in exchange for a horrible record with no talent and post-season bans?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote:
I’d love to. But what would Romar get out of it in exchange for a horrible record with no talent and post-season bans?
A head coaching job.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
A head coaching job.
I just thought he could do better with a mid-major and a level playing field as a means of working his way back. Because the risk is compiling a bad record and losing his job as a result. Where would he go from there?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
A head coaching job.
I just thought he could do better with a mid-major and a level playing field as a means of working his way back. Because the risk is compiling a bad record and losing his job as a result. Where would he go from there?
The TV booth.

His last 5 seasons:
18-16
17-15
16-15
19-15
9-22

He's welcome for the opportunity and the money.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

The next coach isn’t the big hire. It’s the coach after that.

Like in 4 years.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Olsondogg wrote:The next coach isn’t the big hire. It’s the coach after that.

Like in 4 years.
Uh huh.

Plus Arizona at this point in time has to pay Rich Rod his buyout, pay Kevin Sumlin good money, and will have to pay whatever buyout is negotiated with Miller (why this is taking so long IMO). So money for the next coach will be an issue. It will not be an issue when we hire Miller's real replacement though.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Choo, any grief I gave you in the past. I’m sorry.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Olsondogg wrote:Choo, any grief I gave you in the past. I’m sorry.
Brother I yearn to be back in the days where you and I can argue about AdjD or overall expectations for the team after my overreactions over a week or two of play :lol:. The quicker we can get back to that the better.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Choo, any grief I gave you in the past. I’m sorry.
Brother I yearn to be back in the days where you and I can argue about AdjD or overall expectations for the team after my overreactions over a week or two of play :lol:. The quicker we can get back to that the better.
With that said, now is the time to focus on AdjO. Join me. It’s Romar ball.