Miller press conference-actual analysis

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Miller press conference-actual analysis

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Dawkins had to have spoken to Miller about landing Bowen, right?

Miller said he'd been approached by Dawkins for 100k, but he didn't accept and the player didn't attend Arizona. All of that fits with Bowen, the timeline and amounts discussed for landing Bowen.
Longhorned

Re: Miller press conference-actual analysis

Post by Longhorned »

No doubt, Miller's reference was that the wiretap records Miller saying fuck you to Dawkins about paying for Bowen.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Yes, Yahoo reported that they were shopping Bowen to Michigan State and Indiana also. Has to be Bowen.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

the real dill wrote:
That legitimately made me laugh out loud.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

I would assume that conversation is on tape. Someone (probably the source) tried to control the narrative by leaving out that Miller said no and changed the name of the player from Bowen to Ayton.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

DrWildcat wrote:I would assume that conversation is on tape. Someone (probably the source) tried to control the narrative by leaving out that Miller said no and changed the name of the player from Bowen to Ayton.
Schlabach is going to be so sullied he won’t even be fit to write for auto trader.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

One more thing, if I'm right and this is about Bowen, Rawle passing up the draft might have saved this program. Bowen became a nonstarter when Rawle stayed, and if the offer is about Bowen, the fact he went elsewhere is great confirmation no deal occurred.

Even if the wire doesn't have a rejection, Miller/Arizona can still point to the fact we pulled off Bowen as evidence of rejection of the offer from Dawkins.

Good lord, I'm so pumped up right now.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Anyone notice Miller staring slightly to his right quite often? Hansen was just right of center
Sid

Post by Sid »

Jefe wrote:Anyone notice Miller staring slightly to his right quite often? Hansen was just right of center
Amazing that cockroach still has a job, not to mention even being allowed into the building.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Sid wrote:Amazing that cockroach still has a job, not to mention even being allowed into the building.
Maybe not...
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Hmm. Not the most endearing way to introduce yourself.
killervibe

Post by killervibe »

As long as Miller credibly proclaims his innocence, I think the program should support him. No matter the end result. I'd really hate for them to fire him (or ask him to resign) only to find out too late that he was innocent. He could have left for another job but stayed loyal, the program should do the same.
Last edited by killervibe on Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: Posts may not be suitable for the overly sensitive, feebleminded, or criminally insane. In the event I offend you, please take a big step back and literally GFY.
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:One more thing, if I'm right and this is about Bowen, Rawle passing up the draft might have saved this program. Bowen became a nonstarter when Rawle stayed, and if the offer is about Bowen, the fact he went elsewhere is great confirmation no deal occurred.

Even if the wire doesn't have a rejection, Miller/Arizona can still point to the fact we pulled off Bowen as evidence of rejection of the offer from Dawkins.

Good lord, I'm so pumped up right now.
Per usual, "what Spiff said."
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Not sure if this was brought up, but based on Miller's statement I think the following happened (This by the way is just my opinion)

It is clear Miller has met and/or talked with Christian Dawkins - Said this
My best guess is it was for the first time last summer after Book met him - Has to be as he said he met or talked with Dawkins after Ayton committed
Dawkins was clearly working to get money for Bowen - This is proven
Bowen is the player Miller mentioned who wanted money - Seems so obvious
Miller and him did have a conversation about Bowen and my best guess it was recorded but Miller (Robbins told ABOR that he would not be shocked if Miller was recorded or there were 100 tapes on him) did not want to pay for Bowen hence we took Akot. That call might be the only time Dawkins and Miller ever spoke and I bet if the tape came out Dawkins talked about Money, Miller said he should deal with him and nothing happened. We clearly did not get Bowen
Bowen was mistaken for Ayton (Maybe intentially to hurt us as if they said Miller discussed paying Bowen, well he never signed with Arizona so no proof we paid him so would not be a big story)

Miller was very careful in his words in that speech so if a tape came out with him talking to Dawkins about Bowen and $100K comes out, Miller can go, I never denied that. Dawkins asked for $100K and I told him no or I said I would get back to him and clearly we never paid it as Bowen signed somewhere else. He was the recruit I mentioned in my original speech.

So yes, I believe Miller is on a call with Dawkins and Dawkins made a financial ask and it went no where. Dawkins is probably trying to make this thing bigger to save his own ass.

And this is what Miller told to the U of A on Saturday so this is why Ayton played. And then the U of A had to access the damage of keeping Miller knowing a tape could still surface. That's why Miller's statement to me leaves them this out. Miller all but gift wrapped there being a tape of him discussing things with Dawkins about a "recruit".

Again just my opinion and someone gave ESPN somewhat correct intel they didnt verify and just ran with. They probably now know a tape is out there, they got the player wrong, but dont want to look stupid

In the end it was probably a whole lot of nothing
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I agree with that and it ties into what I was just asking in the Hansen thread.... was Hansen actually telling the truth? ( but in a stupid illegal way)
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

The Bowen thing doesn't make sense either because the wiretaps started after Bowen already committed to UL.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I doubt it was Akot who was the tipping point as opposed to Trier/Rawle. When Trier/Rawle reupped, we had our two starters and any other wings were backups.

I'm not sure Bowen would have come if we'd paid him a million with Zo and Rawle back. Most McD's AA's want starting roles.

Other than that, Newport, I agree with pretty much everything you said. I'm not 100% Miller's turndown of $ was all altruism and not just motivated by a lack of need, but...we don't really need the answer to that question.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

SunnyAZ wrote:The Bowen thing doesn't make sense either because the wiretaps started after Bowen already committed to UL.
He committed early June right?
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

azgreg wrote:
SunnyAZ wrote:The Bowen thing doesn't make sense either because the wiretaps started after Bowen already committed to UL.
He committed early June right?
June 3rd. Reports are that the wiretap began the 19th.

https://247sports.com/Article/Sources-C ... -115594868" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Maybe, maybe not. There were clearly other wires on ASM and Dawkins was employed by ASM until May of 2017. If Miller was discussing Bowen stuff with Dawkins, it could be in the more general wire stuff before Dawkins was terminated.

There are a number of unknowns. Bowen makes the most sense because Miller referred to an offer on a player who enrolled elsewhere (meaning already done), the lion's share of the reported wires are 2017 (Bowen was our only active 2018 class recruit at that point), the monetary amount is almost exactly the other Bowen $ discussed on the wires and that Dawkins is linked to Bowen (as opposed to Ayton, where there's zero other link).
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Can someone point me to the thread that talks about why it took SM 5 days to come out and simply say the wiretap allegation was false and why he didn't take any questions in his press conference? Also, which thread talks about why UA's AD held him out of coaching one game? Also, isn't pushing the blame to Bowen convenient?
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Your answers are in the Sean Miller thread.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

enfuego wrote:Can someone point me to the thread that talks about why it took SM 5 days to come out and simply say the wiretap allegation was false and why he didn't take any questions in his press conference? Also, which thread talks about why UA's AD held him out of coaching one game? Also, isn't pushing the blame to Bowen convenient?
First off, you suck
Secondly, unlike Stephen A Smith, our AD and President have what they call Brains. So by using this thing called a Brain before letting Sean Miller make a statement since he is an employee of the U of A, they wanted to make sure they had their full ducks in a row. See when you are an employee, especially an employee who has a fellow employee under a federal investigation, you just do not make statements right away. You go to your Employeer, they discuss with you, get all the ducks in a row, and get an approved statement to make to ensure everyone is on board. Its called using your brain something that is apparent to me you have zero clue how to do.
Third, The AD held Miller out to gather facts and decide what their move would be given the shockingness of the report. They were trying to be prudent
Fourth, who is pushing the blame to Bowen?
Fifth, did Josh Jackson ever get paid.....dumb question
Sixth, why waste time trolling another colleges sports site. Do you have this little time in life that you troll another schools message board. Look yourself in the mirror and realize you are wasting precious moments on this earth being a Troll. You get one life.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Alieberman wrote:I agree with that and it ties into what I was just asking in the Hansen thread.... was Hansen actually telling the truth? ( but in a stupid illegal way)
As much as I hate Hansen, the guy is well connected with certain Alumni. He plays the game well so my gut tells me Hansen was telling the truth but in a really really really dumb way.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

enfuego wrote:Can someone point me to the thread that talks about why it took SM 5 days to come out and simply say the wiretap allegation was false and why he didn't take any questions in his press conference? Also, which thread talks about why UA's AD held him out of coaching one game? Also, isn't pushing the blame to Bowen convenient?
I have gone to law school. I doubt you have gone to law school or have any legal experience beyond reruns of Boston Legal if you're confused on the above.

I was so nice to you on archrivals about not trolling us, and you go **** it up like this.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Newportcat wrote:
First off, you suck
Sixth, why waste time trolling another colleges sports site. Do you have this little time in life that you troll another schools message board. Look yourself in the mirror and realize you are wasting precious moments on this earth being a Troll. You get one life.
I literally just heard this in reference to an MMA fighter:

"The way to deny a provocateur is to deprive him oxygen. It's not to declare how offensive you find him, or that he crossed the line. You think he crossed the line? That was exactly what he was trying to do".

He keeps winning ever time you respond.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I have gone to law school. I doubt you have gone to law school or have any legal experience beyond reruns of Boston Legal if you're confused on the above.

I was so nice to you on archrivals about not trolling us, and you go **** it up like this.
Saw these questions posed on First Take this morning and was looking to see if this was discussed.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

SunnyAZ wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
First off, you suck
I literally just heard this in reference to an MMA fighter:

"The way to deny a provocateur is to deprive him oxygen. It's not to declare how offensive you find him, or that he crossed the line. You think he crossed the line? That was exactly what he was trying to do".

He keeps winning ever time you respond.
Great point
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

It's as easy as this..If Miller paid or accepted any money he woulda been arrested with the other coaches involved. It's not like this is a secret tape the fbi doesn't have. He didn't commit a crime. And if ur gonna destroy him for maybe failure to controll(ncaa infraction). U have a bunch of other coaches that played with ineligible players and so on from the yahoo report.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

It's been discussed, why are you asking us to do your work for you?

RTFTY (read the fucking threads yourself)

Also#1 =not true, again RTFTY.

Also#2 =No.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

• Couldn't have been Bowen. Bowen took a secret visit to Louisville May 29th. In that secret visit Bowen had secretly committed (it would be public a while later) and had enrolled to school during the visit.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/s ... 357503001/" target="_blank

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/brian-bowen ... louisville" target="_blank

• The Miller-Dawkins conversations happened June 19 of 2017, through Sept. 25 2017

Who's the player?!??
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

He said "the one time I have discussed payment with a player I said no". To me, it doesn't necessarily mean it had to be during the wiretap period.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

NYCat wrote:• Couldn't have been Bowen. Bowen took a secret visit to Louisville May 29th. In that secret visit Bowen had secretly committed (it would be public a while later) and had enrolled to school during the visit.

• The Miller-Dawkins conversations happened June 19 of 2017, through Sept. 25 2017

Who's the player?!??
Based on the timeline, it could be Quinerly. He committed August 8. Could be what Miller referred to as the one time somebody approached him about paying for a player and he said no. If so, this could be that instance where Miller told Dawkins that any questions about money go through him (a.k.a. "get lost"), and stay away from Book Richardson, who has some kind of money problem and was already an easy target for under-the-table cash (see Ace). In which case, Dawkins approached Book anyway. The sources with knowledge of the wiretapped conversations wouldn't have heard the conversations and weren't clear on the timeline, and interpolated the context and didn't understand that the 5-star player referenced was from a different recruiting class than Ayton, and so assumed it was Ayton.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:• Couldn't have been Bowen. Bowen took a secret visit to Louisville May 29th. In that secret visit Bowen had secretly committed (it would be public a while later) and had enrolled to school during the visit.

Who's the player?!??
See my timeline post above about how a Miller/Dawkins conversation could have been on another subject's wire. We just don't know.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

btfd16 wrote:He said "the one time I have discussed payment with a player I said no". To me, it doesn't necessarily mean it had to be during the wiretap period.
No, that's not what he said. What he said was:
I also want you to know that the one time someone suggested to me paying a player to come to the University of Arizona I did not agree to it. It never happened and that player did not come to the University of Arizona.
http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 6eece.html" target="_blank

The actual quote has a different connotation than your paraphrasing of the quote.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Who's the player?!??
See my timeline post above about how a Miller/Dawkins conversation could have been on another subject's wire. We just don't know.
Ok, so thinking this through, who could we have recruited who is already enrolled elsewhere?

For this time period, if it isn't Bowen, the only other name I can think of is Bagley. It can't be possible that this somehow clears Miller and implicates Duke, though, right? I mean, it would be instant fulfillment of every wish I've ever had, so it can't be.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Who's the player?!??
Ok, so thinking this through, who could we have recruited who is already enrolled elsewhere?

For this time period, if it isn't Bowen, the only other name I can think of is Bagley. It can't be possible that this somehow clears Miller and implicates Duke, though, right? I mean, it would be instant fulfillment of every wish I've ever had, so it can't be.
Committed Aug 14th... the only 2017-18 commitment that falls inside the period in question.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Who's the player?!??

Committed Aug 14th... the only 2017-18 commitment that falls inside the period in question.
I know, but it can't be. If this cleared Miller and implicated Duke, forget hours, I would have an erection that lasted 3 or 4 weeks.

"Tucson man arrested on Dick Vitale's front lawn"

Authorities state Spaceman Spiff, of Tucson, was arrested on charges on disorderly conduct at ESPN analyst Dick Vitale's home. Spiff allegedly was shouting "how's them apples" and "are you, Pitino and K having a sad three way in there?" Authorities obtained video of Spiff shouting those phrases while "DX crotch chopping" in the direction of Vitale's front door for approximately 30 minutes until first responding officers arrived.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

"are you, Pitino and K having a sad three way in there?"

Pure gold, Spiff.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Who's the player?!??

Could have been little, although the reported asking price was $150k if I recall.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Still intriguing that Schlabach hasn't tweeted since 2/25.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Frybry02 wrote:Still intriguing that Schlabach hasn't tweeted since 2/25.
Intriguing is not the word I would use. More like revealing. He fucked up and he knows it. And right now ESPNs lawyers are controlling everything he does. If you knew your story was air tight, you'd go on radio shows and other networks and discuss the story in greater detail. His silence says all you need to know about the legitimacy of Schlabach's story.