The Pac12 will never be a major conference until...

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

JW_in_Boston

The Pac12 will never be a major conference until...

Post by JW_in_Boston »

They get a real contract that puts their games on the TV in HD, nationwide at hours that people can actually watch them! Sorry, my cable (verizon fios) can't get the pac12 network in Boston even if I wanted to pay extra. When I had xfinity I could only get the no def feed which was almost worse than not watching. At least I have gig speed Internet to stream.

Ok what is your fill in the blank? The Pac12 will never be a major conference until...
CalStateTempe

Re: The Pac12 will never be a major conference until...

Post by CalStateTempe »

Larry Scott is fired/moves on.
phenom5

Post by phenom5 »

CalStateTempe wrote:Larry Scott is fired
/end thread
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

We get real refs.

But really its the TV deal. It's given us a ton of cash (which has been great in lifting our facilities) but we're silo'd away from the majority of viewers who don't have Pac-12 Network and when we do have national games we're tipping so late that the East Coast misses us (~50% of the US population).

Pac-12 After Dark is a cool meme but not an effective marketing strategy.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Better management of the conference. Larry Scott promised innovation and brand expansion. Exactly how much of that has actually occurred?

The remainder of the issues flow from that. Not integrating P12N into a national framework? Management of the conference. Reffing? It returns to the job of the conference managers to produce high quality product and distribute it widely.

Any business is founded on that. Quality and ease of distribution. The Pac has been mired in the basement in both areas. If that changes, maybe the conference evolves.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Refs and better coaching
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Larry Scott is AA-league and west coast officiating has a bad culture that needs to be better integrated with the rest of college basketball, but for the most part the conference is just underrated. I'm not persuaded by the argument that PAC 10/12 haven't done well in the tourney as evidence that it it's a weak conference.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Gonzaga and San Diego St.!!!!!!!!!!

:-)

Edit: Boise st. Would be a better travel partner and SDSU has not been the same since Fischer left.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
prh

Post by prh »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:Gonzaga and San Diego St.!!!!!!!!!!

:-)

Edit: Boise st. Would be a better travel partner and SDSU has not been the same since Fischer left.
Gonzaga can pair with Boise State and we can trade Colorado for BYU. Yeah I know everyone hates BYU for plenty of reasons, but they would be a much better travel partner with Utah.

And since we only play after everyone is asleep, on channels nobody gets, it will probably be a decade before the country realizes Gonzaga doesn't have football.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Adding mediocre academic institutions like Boise & SDSU does nothing for the Pac 12. It would be great for those schools, but also adds two more mouths to feed.

The conference needs more teams vying for football championships. The Pac 12 cannibalizes itself with the 9 game conference schedule. Until the SEC does the same, it's foolish to go 9 games. Inevitably, even the best teams are going to stub their toe in a conference with so much parity. It's hard to have elite teams. Going with an 8-game schedule is against most purists (and even my own wishes) but other conferences need to step up in scheduling or we need to step down).

In hoops, Larry Scott hasn't done anything that an idiot couldn't have figured out. Moving the conference tourney to Vegas was a no brainer. It should have been there much sooner. Scott has proven to be inept when it comes to the Direc TV fiasco.
JW_in_Boston

Post by JW_in_Boston »

Well the tourney final is on a "major" network, FS1. But it's at 10pm! Our commish must be that guy everyone loves to negotiate with#
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Boy, looks like I jinxed SDSU into a win.

I'll have to put that little tidbit in my pocket in case we need it.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.