scumdevils86 wrote:1983-2018

What a ride.
It was fun while it lasted

Honestly it’s more like RIP College Basketball. Sport is dying a quick death
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Siempre Verde

Re: RIP Arizona basketball

Post by Siempre Verde »

Don’t make fun of ASU kids crying, I’m aboit there myself.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

The sun has set.

Getting to the NIT in a few years is the next goal after a disastrous season next year.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Merkin wrote:The sun has set.

Getting to the NIT in a few years is the next goal after a disastrous season next year.
simply just because we probably won't have any more than like 8 scholarship players next year, just getting to .500 should be the goal.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

I wouldn't say RIP, if we avoid major sanctions we'll recover in time, and if we manage our coaching situation properly.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:I wouldn't say RIP, if we avoid major sanctions we'll recover in time, and if we manage our coaching situation properly.
that's a lot of Ifs. if we make a bad hire and get hit with some sanctions, we could become the next georgetown or nc state or similar.

TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

In Heeke we trust!
KingG

Post by KingG »

The PAC-12 is so pathetic at least we’ll have a good chance competing for the one automatic bid to the tournament every year.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I have heard this before.......not going to happen.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I will support this team no matter how bad they could be for the next few years.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Merk....your better than that. Let's see what happens in the next few weeks. I have hope for a couple of good transfers, at least 1 4 start and a foriegn player or two. We got guys with talent ...have faith.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

TheCat wrote:

Merk....your better than that. Let's see what happens in the next few weeks. I have hope for a couple of good transfers, at least 1 4 start and a foriegn player or two. We got guys with talent ...have faith.
If they stay...Merk is less off than you think.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

TheCat wrote:

I was a student during the Snowden>Lindsey>Olson transition.

I have never felt worse about "next year" than I do right now. Although "this year" was the worst under Lindsey, and the KO year was pretty bad too. Hopefully when "next year" turns into "this year" things will have turned around.
Coffeebean

Post by Coffeebean »

Tubby Smith is available
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Its true, everything Lute built has been destroyed. Az bball is dead and Miller and Book the Crook killed it.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Again, fuck off.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Bear Down gents. Bear Down.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

scumdevils86 wrote:Again, fuck off.
I second this motion.
Schnebly

Post by Schnebly »

Irish27 wrote:I will support this team no matter how bad they could be for the next few years.
Yup!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Schnebly wrote:
Irish27 wrote:I will support this team no matter how bad they could be for the next few years.
Yup!
Hear hear. As polkinmik and Newport said in another thread, with age comes perspective. Arizona sports is my connection to the university so I’ll be along for the ride.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zonagrad wrote:
I second this motion.
Even if we wind up vacating this entire year, we'll have taken fewer L's in 17-18 than Rise and Fire.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

At least we can drink in McKale next year, that will help numb losing 65-56 to Oregon St.

I do still hold out hope, but can't see any success with Miller as our coach given all that has happened and the damage done, rightly or wrongly. We almost need a fresh start, even with a lesser coach, to get the program moving again in some direction. Right now it's just wait and hold, and hold, and hold, you can't do that.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

It is brutally unfair, but I can't disagree.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:At least we can drink in McKale next year, that will help numb losing 65-56 to Oregon St.

I do still hold out hope, but can't see any success with Miller as our coach given all that has happened and the damage done, rightly or wrongly. We almost need a fresh start, even with a lesser coach, to get the program moving again in some direction. Right now it's just wait and hold, and hold, and hold, you can't do that.
yep. it sucks ass and definitely isn't fair but it is true.
Wine&CheezBruin

Post by Wine&CheezBruin »

Miller is gone. There is no way that Arizona either keeps him or that he'd even want to stay at this point. Top five scorers departing and zero committed recruits. Very similar to the end of the Howland era, where rumors were swirling that Howland was dirty and then the team of highly rated freshmen (Shabazz, Kyle Anderson, etc.) got crushed in the first round by a mediocre Minnesota team. At least the Arizona players still like Miller, which is about all he has going for him at this point.

Yes, Arizona will undoubtedly suck hard next year and probably the year after that. In fact, they might be wise to just impose a 1 year NCAA tourney ban on themselves at this point since next year is a throwaway. But they still have a great tradition to draw off of from the past 30 years and a rabid fanbase that makes Tucson an attractive option for recruits. I'm thinking a 2-3 year lull before Arizona is back on top of the conference. Just look at Penn State. Most everyone thought that program was dead forever after their scandal, when, instead, they never even suffered a losing season in the subsequent years and now find themselves near the top of the mountain again.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Wine&CheezBruin wrote:Miller is gone. There is no way that Arizona either keeps him or that he'd even want to stay at this point. Top five scorers departing and zero committed recruits. Very similar to the end of the Howland era, where rumors were swirling that Howland was dirty and then the team of highly rated freshmen (Shabazz, Kyle Anderson, etc.) got crushed in the first round by a mediocre Minnesota team. At least the Arizona players still like Miller, which is about all he has going for him at this point.

Yes, Arizona will undoubtedly suck hard next year and probably the year after that. In fact, they might be wise to just impose a 1 year NCAA tourney ban on themselves at this point since next year is a throwaway. But they still have a great tradition to draw off of from the past 30 years and a rabid fanbase that makes Tucson an attractive option for recruits. I'm thinking a 2-3 year lull before Arizona is back on top of the conference. Just look at Penn State. Most everyone thought that program was dead forever after their scandal, when, instead, they never even suffered a losing season in the subsequent years and now find themselves near the top of the mountain again.
Good post. Thanks for the insight.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

TatetheGreat wrote:
Wine&CheezBruin wrote:Miller is gone. There is no way that Arizona either keeps him or that he'd even want to stay at this point. Top five scorers departing and zero committed recruits. Very similar to the end of the Howland era, where rumors were swirling that Howland was dirty and then the team of highly rated freshmen (Shabazz, Kyle Anderson, etc.) got crushed in the first round by a mediocre Minnesota team. At least the Arizona players still like Miller, which is about all he has going for him at this point.

Good post. Thanks for the insight.
I know recruiting stars are the end all be all but as things stand now UA still has a better program with Akot, Jeter, Barcello, Randolph, Smith and Lee than most conference schools have. Add a couple grad transfers and this is a team fighting for a first round bye in Vegas and a tournament at large bid
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Frankly, I think Arizona's 6 returners plus a stopgap or two might be better than UCLA this year.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Frankly, I think Arizona's 6 returners plus a stopgap or two might be better than UCLA this year.
Yea there’s no reason they can’t. Just look at buffalo or any of these “less talented” mid majors all giving the big boys a challenge. Playing as a TEAM, and with defensive intensity and effort all 40min goes a longggg way. Something most of our players didn’t do, especially not last night.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Great Brands don’t die. Shitty Products do.

Last few years have been shitty products.

But is Tucson still an Arizona Basketball town?

Has it succeeded under multiple coaches?

I say yes on both.

That means the brand can be rebuilt with a better product.

Why can’t a coach coach up at Arizona?

All it takes is one person with vision and the understanding they will have the support of a top-5 fan base and money-making program in a community where Arizona Basketball is THE show in town.

In a state where Ayton and Bagley played HS ball.

In a region close to talent rich hotbeds like California and Nevada and Texas.

In a Conference that’s as down as it has ever been.

So if you want to write a goddamned obituary, write it some place else.

On this site we Bear Down.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
I second this motion.
Even if we wind up vacating this entire year, we'll have taken fewer L's in 17-18 than Rise and Fire.
Speaking of Ls it looks like the Miller Humper club that you lead lost all its members. Who's left just you and zonagrad?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Miller Humper Club is a new one.

Funny but doesn’t accurately describe those that have a reasoned take on the future of Arizona BB.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Rise and Fails take is we need a coach who runs zone all day everyday. So we need to become Syracuse
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Definitely the winter of our discontent. The good news is that I may be moving to Tucson and basketball tix should be easier to get. So there’s that! :shock:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RiseAndFire wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
I second this motion.
Speaking of Ls it looks like the Miller Humper club that you lead lost all its members. Who's left just you and zonagrad?
With our loss last night, this has to be a happy day for you. I hope you enjoy it.

Otherwise, I think you're a troll, and not a particularly bright one. The beauty of a message board is that both you and I get to express our views publicly and any other readers can reach their own conclusions about who's right, wrong, smart or dumb.

People can judge my opinions as they want. I think your contributions suck, and generally look down on people who only make a contribution to try to provoke others. It is what it is.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

KingG wrote:The PAC-12 is so pathetic at least we’ll have a good chance competing for the one automatic bid to the tournament every year.

The PAC is killing it for me too and I survived the Booker years. Remember?!
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

PS
I’ll always be a Cat fan!
Began 1981! Ben Lindsey year. Oy