2018-2019 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TucsonClip

Re: 2018-2019 Arizona Basketball

Post by TucsonClip »

NYCat wrote:Other than Williams, is there anyone that does anything of note offensively (besides maybe shoot a 3pt-er)?
How I see it now, which obviously could change as its only two exhibitions:

We have two guys who can create their own shot to score: Williams and Randolph. Outside of that, we are relatively light offensively, which means Miller is going to have to scheme us into quality shots. This is why I had been saying to those who didnt like watching Trier play, that he was a necessary piece. The guy who can literally create buckets at any time, or at least draw fouls.

Outside of that, and I think this is a huge plus and a good thing we still have Miller on the sidelines; we are going to have to defend to not only win games, but help create offense. Early offense is going to be important to this team, almost as important as getting stops and rebounding.

Miller has installed a few adjusted sets, primarily that shuffle/flex action back screen set for Jeter and Luther. A bit of his old set for Williams with the cross screen, and the back screen sets for Dusan/Ayton. Also noticed a lot of overload and then cutting across the lane to the opposite corner. Really didnt pay too close attention to the last two games, so might just have been floor balancing and not a cut in the offense. Perhaps someone else can chime in if they noticed anything new?
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

This thread isn't inspiring confidence for the season. Too much hand-wringing over Smith and Jeter. Can the Brandons carry this team to a decent Pac finish and a tourney berth? Are we hopelessly weak in the frontcourt? I guess we'll learn a few things in Maui. I hope our guys are ready.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Ultimately the beginning of this season is going to be rough. The end of it will be a much better team. Will it be good enough to get into the tourney? That's TBD.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Ultimately the beginning of this season is going to be rough. The end of it will be a much better team. Will it be good enough to get into the tourney? That's TBD.
If they come together at the end, not sure it will matter much.

Our schedule is top heavy in the first half of the conference schedule. January is going to be tough, and it might sink the NCAA tournament chances if they're not good enough by then.
  • 1/17 vs Oregon
    1/24 @ USC
    1/26 @ UCLA
    1/31 @ ASU
    2/7 vs Washington
    3/2 @ Oregon
    3/9 vs ASU
All of those teams will likely finish in the top 6 in the conference, all of those are likely the only probable Q1, Q2 games in conference. if we concede November will be rough, especially Maui, the team will have to grow and come together in December. The important December dates
  • 12/2 @ Connecticut
    12/9 @ Alabama
    12/15 vs Baylor
And of course Maui is hugely important. If Arizona beats ISU, they have 2 shots to beat a top teams (Gonzaga & Auburn or Duke) early on & 2 Q1 wins. If Arizona loses to Iowa State, then they're playing Illinois next, which doesn't help at all, then Xavier or San Diego St which would be just Ok Q2 wins.

Personally, I don't see us making the tournament. Unless they win the conference tournament.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Excellent breakdown, NYC. Yeah, this has been my concern: where will the quality wins come? We could win all the games we're supposed to, but then go 0-fer vs. every tourney team we face. It's nearly impossible to get into the tourney without a couple good wins. I think it's reasonable to expect this team to look quite different in Feb/March compared to Maui, but man is it hard to make up lost ground as you miss opportunities for quality wins.
prh

Post by prh »

With how this team has looked so far, do we need to revisit the topic of BWill being OAD? I sure hope not
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

prh wrote:With how this team has looked so far, do we need to revisit the topic of BWill being OAD? I sure hope not
Think it’s pretty safe to assume that, barring injury or something unusual, he’s OAD.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
prh wrote:With how this team has looked so far, do we need to revisit the topic of BWill being OAD? I sure hope not
Think it’s pretty safe to assume that, barring injury or something unusual, he’s OAD.
Not many guys his size end up being one and dones unless they put up Trae Young type stats. No one is expecting him to be an one and done at this point.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Why?

There's a pretty high bar for that at 6'2, and I'm not sure I see it, let alone it being a foregone conclusion.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Didn't know these Game Day Experiences were an option

https://ev12.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommer ... =&appCode=" target="_blank

Pre-game Warmups from Floor - $150
Watch the Wildcats in pre-game warmups from just feet away from your favorite players. You'll sit on Scholarship Row and watch as both teams prepare for action. Price is good for you and one guest. Due to NCAA Rules, prospect age kids (13-18) are not permitted to participate.

Intros from Floor - $200
Experience the excitement and energy of McKale Center from the floor during Team Introductions. Price is good for you and one guest. Due to NCAA Rules, prospect age kids (13-18) are not permitted to participate.

Mascot Visit - $50
Enjoy a special photo opportunity with Wilbur or Wilma at your seats. The mascot visit will take place during the game as one mascot will come to your seats to take photos with you and your friends. Price includes you and up to three guests. Due to NCAA Rules, prospect age kids (13-18) are not permitted to participate.

Post-game Free Throws - $100
Here's your chance to make the winning basket for the Wildcats! You will be able to shoot free throws (and in) following the game. Price is good for you and one guest, duration of five minutes. Due to NCAA Rules, prospect age kids (13-18) are not permitted to participate.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Jefe wrote:Didn't know these Game Day Experiences were an option

https://ev12.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommer ... =&appCode=" target="_blank

Pre-game Warmups from Floor - $150
Watch the Wildcats in pre-game warmups from just feet away from your favorite players. You'll sit on Scholarship Row and watch as both teams prepare for action. Price is good for you and one guest. Due to NCAA Rules, prospect age kids (13-18) are not permitted to participate.

Intros from Floor - $200
Experience the excitement and energy of McKale Center from the floor during Team Introductions. Price is good for you and one guest. Due to NCAA Rules, prospect age kids (13-18) are not permitted to participate.

Mascot Visit - $50
Enjoy a special photo opportunity with Wilbur or Wilma at your seats. The mascot visit will take place during the game as one mascot will come to your seats to take photos with you and your friends. Price includes you and up to three guests. Due to NCAA Rules, prospect age kids (13-18) are not permitted to participate.

Post-game Free Throws - $100
Here's your chance to make the winning basket for the Wildcats! You will be able to shoot free throws (and in) following the game. Price is good for you and one guest, duration of five minutes. Due to NCAA Rules, prospect age kids (13-18) are not permitted to participate.
I had no idea about this and its super cool. I will 100% pay $75 to watch warm-ups from the floor next time I'm in for a game.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

A lap dance in the Champagne Room is cheaper.

That would be cool to shoot free throws at McKale though.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:A lap dance in the Champagne Room is cheaper.

That would be cool to shoot free throws at McKale though.
Side comment, you ever noticed how virtually all of the FT competitors at basketball games are terrible? It's always people knocking down maybe 3 or 4 of 12-15 attempts.

It's an unguarded free throw. You think a decent number of fans would be good for at least 50-75%.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Im getting a tour of RJ Gym when the team is in Maui. Might get into McKale and put up some half court shots. Here she was a few weeks ago during tailgating

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Why?

There's a pretty high bar for that at 6'2, and I'm not sure I see it, let alone it being a foregone conclusion.
I'm more impressed than I expected with Williams so far, just "has it." Between his 6'6" wingspan and sturdy frame, he's got the physical profile of a first round pick. You're right that he doesn't have the height and won't (likely) have the usage to go in the top ten OAD, but I could see him in the mid-teens to mid-twenties range if he left this year. Wouldn't surprise me to see him exit but obviously hopeful to have him and Nico next season. Williams could be an All American next season.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Jefe that is a great shot.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Why?

I'm more impressed than I expected with Williams so far, just "has it." Between his 6'6" wingspan and sturdy frame, he's got the physical profile of a first round pick. You're right that he doesn't have the height and won't (likely) have the usage to go in the top ten OAD, but I could see him in the mid-teens to mid-twenties range if he left this year. Wouldn't surprise me to see him exit but obviously hopeful to have him and Nico next season. Williams could be an All American next season.
Oh there's plenty to be impressed about with Williams and if this team didnt have Randolph and Coleman I could see him getting the workload to put up Trae Young stats, but he will fall short of that by a considerable amount. He also still has plenty to work on regardless how advanced he is.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I mean, I guess we could look at it as: will BW do enough in his freshman season to rank among the best PGs in next year's draft? In looking at projected pool of PGs next year, it doesn't look nearly as good as '18 or '17. So there's certainly potential for BW to play his way into the first round.

I really need to see Nico and BW play at least one season together, so here's hoping for BW to have an outstanding season that whets his appetite for a FF run in '20.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

NYCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Ultimately the beginning of this season is going to be rough. The end of it will be a much better team. Will it be good enough to get into the tourney? That's TBD.

Our schedule is top heavy in the first half of the conference schedule. January is going to be tough, and it might sink the NCAA tournament chances if they're not good enough by then.
  • 1/17 vs Oregon
    1/24 @ USC
    1/26 @ UCLA
    1/31 @ ASU
    2/7 vs Washington
    3/2 @ Oregon
    3/9 vs ASU
All of those teams will likely finish in the top 6 in the conference, all of those are likely the only probable Q1, Q2 games in conference. if we concede November will be rough, especially Maui, the team will have to grow and come together in December. The important December dates
  • 12/2 @ Connecticut
    12/9 @ Alabama
    12/15 vs Baylor
And of course Maui is hugely important. If Arizona beats ISU, they have 2 shots to beat a top teams (Gonzaga & Auburn or Duke) early on & 2 Q1 wins. If Arizona loses to Iowa State, then they're playing Illinois next, which doesn't help at all, then Xavier or San Diego St which would be just Ok Q2 wins.

Personally, I don't see us making the tournament. Unless they win the conference tournament.
For some reason I think Arizona gets to the championship game in Maui. Do they win? Obviously possible but not probable. The season will have its peaks and troughs and this is the type of team that could play remarkably well in one game an horribly in the next. For fans that's frustrating but we'll have to learn to take the good with the bad. I still see 2nd or 3rd in the Pac 12 and winning the conference tournament to get in. They'll finish the season with 8 to 10 losses and get an 8 or 9 seed in the NCAA tournament is my guess. It's going to be a fun season but Sean Miller will have more white hair at its conclusion. I like the uncertainty and the players know no one is expecting much from them. But we will still get everyone's best shot because Arizona is on the front of our jerseys.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Captain Obvious wrote:
NYCat wrote:

• 1/17 vs Oregon
    1/24 @ USC
    1/26 @ UCLA
    1/31 @ ASU
    2/7 vs Washington
    3/2 @ Oregon
    3/9 vs ASU
  • 12/2 @ Connecticut
    12/9 @ Alabama
    12/15 vs Baylor

For some reason I think Arizona gets to the championship game in Maui. Do they win? Obviously possible but not probable. The season will have its peaks and troughs and this is the type of team that could play remarkably well in one game an horribly in the next. For fans that's frustrating but we'll have to learn to take the good with the bad. I still see 2nd or 3rd in the Pac 12 and winning the conference tournament to get in. They'll finish the season with 8 to 10 losses and get an 8 or 9 seed in the NCAA tournament is my guess. It's going to be a fun season but Sean Miller will have more white hair at its conclusion. I like the uncertainty and the players know no one is expecting much from them. But we will still get everyone's best shot because Arizona is on the front of our jerseys.

It's going to be a very hard year to gauge ANYTHING...I tend to listen to Miller since he is pretty unbiased and keeps things in perspective (mostly bad)...but this team is going to be a different setup than we are used to seeing from him...the last few years he has made the frontcourt the main scoring emphasis and downplayed the three-point game in order to do so...thsi year he does not have that luxury...if we have no three point game we have no game at all...and generally...the three-point game tends to be a late-season evolution for Seans teams...I'm hoping he just lets the horses run this year...more of a Lute style of game...hell Bobby Hurley style...just let them jack up threes but learn some defense...
ralmom22

Post by ralmom22 »

YoDeFoe wrote:FWIW I really liked what I saw out of Barcello - played like I always hoped he would: dogged defender, confident shooter.
This. Not saying he will be the star of the season, however, I felt his (unexpected) points came at the perfect time to motivate a positive change in the game.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Reminds me of Sean’s early teams. I think the reigns will be loosened and this team will be given the freedom to run. With that being said, the players have to realize in order to run they will need to play defense and rebound. Rebounding is my #1 focus this year.
Captain Obvious

Frybry02 wrote:Reminds me of Sean’s early teams. I think the reigns will be loosened and this team will be given the freedom to run. With that being said, the players have to realize in order to run they will need to play defense and rebound. Rebounding is my #1 focus this year.
My concern is rebounding. Second chance points could really hurt us this year with our limited size. My other concern is our bigs getting in foul trouble. I'm hoping our quickness can turn teams over resulting in easy scores in transition. I welcome a faster pace. Last year every basket seemed to be difficult. We had to grind out every possession it seemed and there was no fluidity to the offense. Good decision making is imperative. I know you have to shoot out of a slump but in some games passing to an open teammate is a better decision. No sense jacking up mindless jumpers and three's if other players have the hot hand and you don't. Situational awareness.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Houston Baptist game thread is up.
Would have put it up sooner but the official site didnt have the game article/notes online when I checked earlier today
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Lonzo Akot disappointing, he's too out of control and gets lost so easily. His 3pt shot suddenly resembles Lonzo's. He can't rebound, which he should be doing.

Luther, disappointing. Doesn't look like he's ready or not a high level player yet.

Frontcourt is really soft. Jeter got out rebounded by smaller guards. Luther is a T-Rex.

Barcello, does it really matter if he's a hall of famer practice shooter, never does it in game.

I really like Coleman, definitely doesn't play small like PJC. Also isn't small mentally like PJC was.

It's apparent that one of the Brandon's has to be on offensively or this team will struggle. Yesterday it was Randolph.

Smith, unfortunately is likely the best defender and possibly the best rebounder, at least for the wings. He'll likely play a lot of heavy rotation minutes.

Pure eye ball test, Devonaire is a playmaker. Hoping he bulks up and gets the packline figured out so he can play more besides the garbage minutes.

Arizona's ultimate potential will ultimately rest on Akot, Randolph, Williams, Jeter - not the grad transfers
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Buckets on fire last night. Scoring and active D, which improves by the game.

Luther and Jeter 18 boards between them---sweet. Jeter looking smooth and stronger. He gives an appearance of softness, then puts himself on the floor and gnarls for the loose ball.

Team as a whole is looking stronger the Coach's aggressive D program. I can't wait for better comp.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Patience will be needed following this team this year.

But we are going to need at least 35 points every game from the Brandons.

I think Jeter and Coleman will be just fine.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Aside from him being black and under 6' there's nothing about Coleman that reminds me of PJC.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

I'm beyond tired of people shitting on PJC.

He's not here any longer, you can let it go now and move on.

If you can't, then lay the blame at the feet of his coach, who after 4 years managed to mold PJC into the player you disliked so much.

Either way, can we stop disparaging the (now ex) player? Thanks.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I won't know about Coleman until we face better competition, but I'm with the others who see no resemblance between Coleman and PJC. PJC had length, and he used it to grab boards and swipe at the ball. And he could shoot from distance. Coleman is much stronger and (so far) doesn't look like he'll be so easily overpowered on defense. And he gets into the paint and dishes to the perimeter in a way we didn't see with PJC. It looks Arizona's guards are extending their defense more this year and they're trying to get the ball downcourt faster, so the roles are somewhat different.

Coleman also talks more on the court and seems more of a floor leader.

But we haven't played anybody, so hard to say anything for sure.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Impossible to draw much yet. HBU had an RPI of over 325. I think they were the lowest rated team ever at McKale.

To me it looks like we will live or die by the 3. Spread, drive and kick. Maybe Coleman and BWill get some lay ups but to me we will look more like how the scum played last year
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

You can have a meaningful rpi with zero games played?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Probably not and I would think that # was from last year so maybe they surprise this year.....doubt it
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I didn't even realize there was 324 teams in Div I, thought it was 300. But come to think of it, the NCAA relaxed the number when they let GCU up to Div I.

Think the #324 was from last year, according to Muehlback.
prh

Post by prh »

Merkin wrote:I didn't even realize there was 324 teams in Div I, thought it was 300. But come to think of it, the NCAA relaxed the number when they let GCU up to Div I.

351 teams
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

prh wrote:
Merkin wrote:I didn't even realize there was 324 teams in Div I, thought it was 300. But come to think of it, the NCAA relaxed the number when they let GCU up to Div I.

351 teams
My cab driver in San Francisco yelled, "Madness! They don't call it March Madness for nothing! They got 350 colleges! Chances are, one of them is y'own!"
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

It had been 351 for a few years.
Cal Baptist and north Alabama joined this year. Full members in 2022
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Kenpom has hbu at 293.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

I give Luther a bit of a pass on Wednesday night, the game was officiated really tightly and HBU couldn't shoot worth a shit and were crashing the glass real hard.

Also, good to see 36 FTA on a team with not a true go-to scorer.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Iowa St star PG Lindell Wiggington has his foot in a cast (not a boot) due to a "foot strain." Sounds like a minor fracture to me. Arizona's first round opponent is now down to 8 scholarship players with forwards Cameron Lard and Zoran Talley Jr. out due to suspension.

Upside: we might win and advance. Downside: this one might not look like such a great win in March.

At least we'd get a W and a shot at Gonzaga, though. While they're without stud forward Killian Tillie, they've still got plenty to put the hurt on us. Which would be fine because I don't ever want to see the Cats take the court against this Duke team.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:I'm beyond tired of people shitting on PJC.

He's not here any longer, you can let it go now and move on.

If you can't, then lay the blame at the feet of his coach, who after 4 years managed to mold PJC into the player you disliked so much.

Either way, can we stop disparaging the (now ex) player? Thanks.
I'm with you POM. It is beyond ridulous that we critize constantly a player who gave all he had to this university for 4 years. I feel the same about Shakar.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I can’t be the only one hoping to face Gonzaga and Duke in Maui. The whole reason you do one of these tourneys is to get a shot to face elite competition. Even if we lose, it would be a good learning experience for our guys.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:I can’t be the only one hoping to face Gonzaga and Duke in Maui. The whole reason you do one of these tourneys is to get a shot to face elite competition. Even if we lose, it would be a good learning experience for our guys.
I agree with this. I'd rather play the best, get a SOS bump and see how we do. Development is a big, big deal and seeing some top level competition would be nice.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I am hoping for Gonzaga and duke. We beat both of those teams a lot!
-Norlander.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

I'll hold my breath because it's Miller, but that's promising
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Randolph and Williams can make the difference this season between ugly and successful

next season they can make the difference between the elite 8 & final four
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote:Randolph and Williams can make the difference this season between ugly and successful

next season they can make the difference between the elite 8 & final four
I think BR and BW have it in them to be an elite guard tandem. Don't think we'll see it this year, but next year...watch out.
Captain Obvious

Beachcat97 wrote:I can’t be the only one hoping to face Gonzaga and Duke in Maui. The whole reason you do one of these tourneys is to get a shot to face elite competition. Even if we lose, it would be a good learning experience for our guys.
I think a game with Gonzaga would be a good learning experience. A game against Duke would probably be a humiliating one. I wonder how Jeter feels seeing how impressive Duke is and if he regrets transferring. I'm not sure what his situation was there. Maybe he just wasn't Duke good. No shame there but I'd be interested to see how he'd play against Duke. The more good teams we can play the better. At least it improves our SOS and gives us a better resume for the tournament committee. I really think this team will come together and outperform expectations. I still say Arizona gets in the NCAA tournament as an 8 or 9 seed after winning the Pac 12 Tournament.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Captain Obvious wrote:
I think a game with Gonzaga would be a good learning experience. A game against Duke would probably be a humiliating one. I wonder how Jeter feels seeing how impressive Duke is and if he regrets transferring. I'm not sure what his situation was there. Maybe he just wasn't Duke good. No shame there but I'd be interested to see how he'd play against Duke. The more good teams we can play the better. At least it improves our SOS and gives us a better resume for the tournament committee. I really think this team will come together and outperform expectations. I still say Arizona gets in the NCAA tournament as an 8 or 9 seed after winning the Pac 12 Tournament.
He wouldn't be playing at Duke, so no he doesnt regret leaving at all.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »