2018-2019 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

U.P. Zona Fan

Re: 2018-2019 Arizona Basketball

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

He came to play tonight, I was impressed.

Rondae is one of my favorite all time cats.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:Akot's a Wayne Womack type of 4 (except hopefully without the triggered temper that Cali dbags set off).

Plenty of wingspan to guard seven-footers in a small lineup, low offensive ceiling but a knack for being the open man down low.

Womack didn't really do much either until his junior year. Then he saved the OT win over Duke at home and was a key contributor as a senior, even though he never started.

Akot looks to have the same career arc here.
I totally get what you're saying and it is a great comparison, but the difference is 1. Head coach's roster philosophy and 2. The climate of college basketball.

In Womack's day he didn't have to worry about an incoming freshman taking his minutes as upperclassmen ruled the day in the 90s and freshmen stayed 3-4 years so there was no or very little recruiting politics at play. Also Olson hardly landed what we would consider 5* players at that time, he more identified talent and developed it.

This is a different world where freshmen come in and push guys like Akot who haven't developed fast enough out. Miller doesn't identify under recruited talent and develop it like Olson did. He recruits talent and it forces other guys out. He's repeatedly done it during his decade here. Due to some bad knees his freshman year and questionable offseason choices in regards to his development, Akot has found himself in the position of being recruited over. It is what it is.
Gonna be pretty hard to run him off now.

AZ needs a four-year power player like Akot. Rooting for him to give us two more solid years.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

BOOM!
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
U.P. Zona Fan wrote:When akot dunks on a guy who is 7 6, I'll start with the rondae comps.
He just dunked on a 7'4 guy. So, start it up!
Wasn't that Ira?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
U.P. Zona Fan wrote:When akot dunks on a guy who is 7 6, I'll start with the rondae comps.
Wasn't that Ira?
We’ve decided to designate both players as a collective “he” and observe his progress as such.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

The fact that #23 is on the court says everything about Cal basketball. He belongs in the Mt. West. I thought I was watching a Kirk Walters clone.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Wasn't that Ira?
I thought Akot got him, albeit less noticeably, on his two hander in the first half.

Or maybe I will lump Ira and Akot together. It was a blowout road win.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Wasn't that Ira?
I thought Akot got him, albeit less noticeably, on his two hander in the first half.

Ah, I might have missed Akot's then.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Wasn't that Ira?

Ah, I might have missed Akot's then.
I found it and was wrong. The 7'4 kid switched on Coleman and Akot had Sueing jump with him.

So, can I sort of compare him to Rondae if he dunked on someone with a 7'4 guy within 10 feet of him?
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

It was ira, and after watching it a few times, I don't think that dunk was as impressive as the rondae dunk. Still akot played well. Not rondae yet.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Alright lets start looking at the future.

Going 4-0 to start the Pac season is nice but based on the level of our competition was totally necessary. None of the 4 we have played has any remote hope/ chance of dancing. That now changes. These next 3 week will give us a much better indication of where we are...

Oregon
Oregon St
@USC
@UCLA
@ASU

We really need to go 3-2 at least.

There next 2 @ home are HUGE. Must hold home court.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Alieberman wrote:Alright lets start looking at the future.

Going 4-0 to start the Pac season is nice but based on the level of our competition was totally necessary. None of the 4 we have played has any remote hope/ chance of dancing. That now changes. These next 3 week will give us a much better indication of where we are...

Oregon
Oregon St
@USC
@UCLA
@ASU

These next 5 are huge and will tell us what we need to know. It won't be easy, but it really has to start with a home sweep of the Oregon schools. Then hopefully we can go 2-1 (or a worst case 1-2) against USC, UCLA and ASSU.

The team is playing well now though. I think we need to expect opponents to a)play zone (nothing new) and b)attack Jeter and get him in foul trouble.

I'd almost like to see CSM experiment with Ira starting at the 4. But yeah since both him and Chase get in foul trouble we are screwed with the lack of depth. Sure would like to see the two of them on the court together some more for a better presence and rebounding inside.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I think the osu game is the toughest of that slate, also the most critical to win. Especially since they are going to be all confident after just winning in Tempe.
-Norlander.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That game against the beavs (damn autocorrect didn’t like beavs) should be really fun. They share the bell very well and play good defense. I like Tinkle as a coach and I bet McKale will be amped for that game
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

I know some people prefer bears over beavers, but I’m pretty sure Tinkle comes from a beaver. Although, now that I think about it, bears tinkle, too. But this tinkle is a beaver tinkle not a bear tinkle.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Oregon
Oregon St
@USC
@UCLA
@ASU

Why stop there? After the ASU game we've got UW at home (our only game against them). I'd say we need to go 4-2 over that 6 game stretch to even be on the bubble.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Because as I pointed out earlier it's the first half of the conference - 9 games in.

If we go 7-2 I like our chances to win the conference.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Oregon
Oregon St
@USC
@UCLA
@ASU

Why stop there? After the ASU game we've got UW at home (our only game against them). I'd say we need to go 4-2 over that 6 game stretch to even be on the bubble.
Every game is big. Winning the Pac regular season would go a long ways towards solidifying an at large. Our OOC wasn't great, but I think it would likely hold up if we paired with winning the conference but didn't win the conference tourney.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

We're in right now our seed just isn't gonna be anything special which is fine
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Oregon
Oregon St
@USC
@UCLA
@ASU

As ECC stated, that marks the half way point in the season. But yes, there will be plenty of tough games in the 2nd half stating with that game vs. Washington.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Alieberman wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Oregon
Oregon St
@USC
@UCLA
@ASU

As ECC stated, that marks the half way point in the season. But yes, there will be plenty of tough games in the 2nd half stating with that game vs. Washington.
Agree. The second half of the conference season is much tougher than the first. Washington will be tough to start the 2nd half but after that you have WSU, at the mountain schools which wont be easy but easier than at So Cal schools, home for the Nor Cal schools, at the Oregon schools which again isnt easy but we will see how Oregon is after Thursday, and home vs asu.

Get through the next five games only dropping one or two and things will look great. Even dropping 3 would be manageable
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Oregon
Oregon St
@USC
@UCLA
@ASU

Saying “tough games” in reference to the pisspoor quality of the teams in this league would be borderline criminal for your typical Arizona team.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Main Event wrote:We're in right now our seed just isn't gonna be anything special which is fine
A tourney bid would be a successful year for this group.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I think what's encouraging is that none of these upcoming games feels unwinnable. We could lose 3 of the next 5 or win them all. Would either outcome be so surprising?

I also think there's a legit chance that the Pac reg season champ could be nervous on Selection Sunday. I believe it was UW who won the league and missed the tourney a few years back. It could happen again if our league champ has more than, say, 3 losses to very low-rated Pac opponents. If the reg season champ goes 16-2 or 15-3, you have to like their chances to get an at-large bid. Anything worse than that, though, and I'd be sweating.

Pac tourney is huge this year. Huge.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

I don't often agree with BC above, but here I do. Put me in the camp that has no feel whatsoever for how this season is going to play out. Root for & enjoy the victories, that's enough for me. This is a good year to have a down/growing/learning team. I believe in the witch.

**edit to add - I've really enjoyed the last page of this conversation...this is why I read this board. Gracias Amigos.**
Last edited by Bear Down Vegas on Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

PAC-12 gets at least three teams in the dance this year. As Hansen would say, LOOK IT
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:I think what's encouraging is that none of these upcoming games feels unwinnable. We could lose 3 of the next 5 or win them all. Would either outcome be so surprising?

I also think there's a legit chance that the Pac reg season champ could be nervous on Selection Sunday. I believe it was UW who won the league and missed the tourney a few years back. It could happen again if our league champ has more than, say, 3 losses to very low-rated Pac opponents. If the reg season champ goes 16-2 or 15-3, you have to like their chances to get an at-large bid. Anything worse than that, though, and I'd be sweating.

Pac tourney is huge this year. Huge.
I agree. We could go 14-0 or 0-14 the rest of the season and I wouldn't be 100% stunned. Very surprised, especially 0-14, but they are all loseable.

I also wouldn't be stunned if we won the Pac tourney off a 0-14 finish or lost in the first round if we went 18-0. This year, every game is a tossup.

We're better than UW was in 11-12 when they won the Pac and missed the tourney. They were 10-6 OOC and had a best win vs UCSB, and lost to North Dakota State. The Pac was utter trash that year and OOC records were terrible.

Our OOC would have been easily the best OOC in 11-12. We actually probably were the best OOC team on 11-12 as well.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

PHXCATS wrote:PAC-12 gets at least three teams in the dance this year. As Hansen would say, LOOK IT
No way.

The numbers augur a different outcome.
Last edited by Beachcat97 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:PAC-12 gets at least three teams in the dance this year. As Hansen would say, LOOK IT
No way.
Back it up then
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

PHXCATS wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
No way.
Back it up then
I'm curious which three you think are getting in. Needless to say, it's far too early to really have this conversation. But as of today, who besides AZ and UW would be in?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
No way.
Back it up then
I'm curious which three you think are getting in. Needless to say, it's far too early to really have this conversation. But as of today, who besides AZ and UW would be in?
I dont know but asu probably gets in today as well. Lots of season left but Oregon State is looking good and UCLA can make a run as well
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
No way.
Back it up then
I dont know but asu probably gets in today as well. Lots of season left but Oregon State is looking good and UCLA can make a run as well
UCLA is currently 10-7 with losses to Belmont and Liberty at home and they have no good wins. Good luck.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:UCLA is currently 10-7 with losses to Belmont and Liberty at home and they have no good wins. Good luck.
UCLA has been rolling since the coaching change and has the most talent. I said they can make a run. Not predicting they will make it or would make it if Selection Sunday were today
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UCLA can make a run

That’s true for almost every team. And in no way some kind of bold prediction.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I'm not sure beating Oregon in OT and losing to OSU is "rolling".

However being down 9 to Oregon with less than a minute left is really impressive.
Last edited by Merkin on Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:I'm not sure beating Oregon in OT and losing to OSU is "rolling".
Coming back from 9 down in the final minute is quite impressive and Oregon State is super hot right now.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote:
Coming back from 9 down in the final minute is quite impressive and Oregon State is super hot right now.
Just edited my comment to say that.

Very impressive.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Just edited my comment to say that.

Very impressive.

My point is that UCLA has been much better since firing Steve Alford and UCLA has the best roster in terms of talent solely.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Well we're receiving votes again now. #37 in the AP and #34 in the coaches. Go 4-0 the next two weeks and we'll be eankee against ASU.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Well guys good talk about Akot. He's gone.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Well guys good talk about Akot. He's gone.

Just saw that. Crazy

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

This is not going to help
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

He’s not transferring so much as he’s just fucking quitting on his teammates and the coaches.

Not a good look...
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote:He’s not transferring so much as he’s just fucking quitting on his teammates and the coaches.

Not a good look...
no kidding... When has a starter ever decided to just peace out? And it's not ever during the semester break.... this makes no sense.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Why the fuck would he transfer now? Finish the year out at this point
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I don’t see a way he comes out of this looking good.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

He got some absolute shit advice, but then again these people told him to shoot like Lonzo, so yeah....

Either way I set the table for why he would leave earlier in this thread, the writing was on the wall, I however, never expected him to just quit after the Spring semester started.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

and he's staying in classes at the UofA?

WTF?????
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Really strange timing for Akot. He pretty much has to sit out next year anyway at this point. There has to be more to this right?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Yeah if he left before the spring semester started that's one thing (still would've been dumb), but he's leaving after Spring has already started and he's just outright quitting.