Assistant Coaches

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

YoDeFoe

Re: Assistant Coaches

Post by YoDeFoe »

Dennis Gates? Though he's no longer a west coast asst.

I'm not super knowledgeable on assistant coaches but looking for West Coast schools that recruit well but aren't in the Pac-12 is a tough order.
prh

Post by prh »

Donny Daniels? Fits everything but spent time as an assistant at UCLA. Plus, not sure he'd make that move.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Still can't believe how briefly Romar was in town. Oh well. Glad he found a new gig.

I hope the new assistant is someone with experience at a top flight D-1 program. We need a guy who knows how to pitch AZ as a destination school.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

prh wrote:Donny Daniels? Fits everything but spent time as an assistant at UCLA. Plus, not sure he'd make that move.
Donnie D's on the back up
Drug free so put the crack up
No need for speed
I'm anti d-r-u-g-g-I-e my
Body is healthy
And rhymes makes me wealthy

Is it possible to call our assistants the Funky Bunch if it is Donnie D?
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Does the guy have an NCAA Championship ring?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
prh wrote:Donny Daniels? Fits everything but spent time as an assistant at UCLA. Plus, not sure he'd make that move.
Donnie D's on the back up
Drug free so put the crack up
No need for speed
I'm anti d-r-u-g-g-I-e my
Body is healthy
And rhymes makes me wealthy

Is it possible to call our assistants the Funky Bunch if it is Donnie D?
:lol:
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I'd be stunned if we were able to pull him from Gonzaga. Didn't even consider him when I was thinking over possibilities.

He's 63 years old, not sure if he wants to make a move, but he could probably double his salary and finish his career living very well in Tuscon. Not a bad way to ride out into the sunset.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

UAEebs86 wrote:Ray Bolger?
Winner. Thanks for playing every one else.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:Ray Bolger?
Winner. Thanks for playing every one else.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

For the record this isn't my guy. Sorry I gave you guys some bad info.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Hmm, played for Herb Sendek at NCst.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

84Cat wrote:Hmm, played for Herb Sendek at NCst.
When Sean was an assistant there.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
84Cat wrote:Hmm, played for Herb Sendek at NCst.
When Sean was an assistant there.
Love that. Former PG who was coached by Miller (a former PG himself obv).
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:For the record this isn't my guy. Sorry I gave you guys some bad info.
You were correct that I will have to google him. Off to google...
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Not the recruiting assistant I was hoping for... but maybe that's for the best. Not sure that there is a current recruiter who isn't elbows deep in potential violations related to sneaker and agency money.

Quick couple of clips I found of him... he seems thoughtful, well spoken, determined.

Former four year starting PG. Sendek says that Gainey had the system so down cold that no one could beat him out of his position in the starting line-up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8pguFUmQCE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ct3HAqxfwQ

If we're hoping that our players know the system well, are driven to outperform the competition, and are willing and able passers... Gainey looks like a darn good coach to help them get there. He's relatively inexperienced but I like his fundamentals.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Here he is, recruiting in North Carolina this year. That's his old high school.

Faith based family man. From the ACC. Still keeps it 100.

I like it.

Proper bio here, previous bio here.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

So seems like an underwhelming hire on the surface...not sure how those close to the program are spinning it, but he doesn't seem to have an extensive recruiting background...hopefully he works out though.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:So seems like an underwhelming hire on the surface...not sure how those close to the program are spinning it, but he doesn't seem to have an extensive recruiting background...hopefully he works out though.
Ultimately it came down to system familiarity and safety. The other major candidate was a HS head coach in LA who previously had been an assistant in D1. Either choice was very safe for different reasons and obviously the familiarity between this guy, Miller, and Phelps won in the end. Miller is betting on himself as a recruiter and has chosen a platoon of loyal like minded assistants to back him up.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:Miller is betting on himself as a recruiter and has chosen a platoon of loyal like minded assistants to back him up.
This. Obviously Miller wants to keep recruiting close to the vest so having a "platoon of loyal like minded assistants" makes sense to ensure no hanky panky moving forward.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Makes a ton of sense to me. Miller is the engine that makes our recruiting happen. Everything good flows out from him. Every guy on the coaching staff is now an "extension of Miller" guy.

Phelps? Coached with Miller under Sendek at NC State from 1996 to 2001.

Peters? Coached under Miller at Arizona from 2010 to 2014.

And now Gainey... Coached by Miller and Phelps under Sendek at NC State from 1996-2000, and just completed a year coaching under Sendek. Gainey also coached with Phelps for a year at Marquette.

This is the crew. Miller, former PG, son of a coach. Peters, former PG, son of a coach. Gainey, former PG. Phelps, former head coach.

If some of us are preaching "we need to do what we do and not swing for the fences" or "we need to focus on coaching over raw talent" or "we need to excel at moving the ball and execute our system." These are the guys that do that for us.

For better or worse, this is Miller with his home team.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Fri May 18, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

And as a note: there's a lot of Sendek in this coaching tree...

I know we all think of Sendek from his ASU days and it was great to beat up on him - but I think we also remember that he was a really intelligent and classy opponent (coaching for a dogshit program). Sendek is as sharp as they come, a HS valedictorian and Carnegie Mellon summa cum laude grad. Son of a coach, former PG. Coached under Rick Pitino for 8 years. Won Coach of the Year awards in the ACC, the MAC, and the Pac-12. Coached an ACC POY in Julius Hodge. Coached a Pac-12 POY in James Harden.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Fri May 18, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

When Miller started, no one had a rep as a crack recruiter. It's possible to prove yourself on the job. Miller has younger, hungry guys who will have that chance.

It's also hard not to see this as a response to the issues with Book. So much of that issue stems from Book putting his own interest (in a few extra bucks) over the interests of the program. These hires seem designed to prioritize loyalty to the program first.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:When Miller started, no one had a rep as a crack recruiter. It's possible to prove yourself on the job. Miller has younger, hungry guys who will have that chance.

It's also hard not to see this as a response to the issues with Book. So much of that issue stems from Book putting his own interest (in a few extra bucks) over the interests of the program. These hires seem designed to prioritize loyalty to the program first.
Arizona also sells itself. I don't want to steal from Josh Gershon, but on the other site he had a god damn beautiful example of just how that is the case in regards to the guys Arizona had committed when Lute Olson was fresh off a year he had to sit out due to health reasons and was any day away from retirement. Needless to say the assistants who wrapped that class up (before it went to crap with Olson's retirement) were far from recruiting heavyweights and lord knows Olson wasn't doing any recruiting then either. You add a brand like Arizona with a coach as hungry as Sean Miller is you will recruit well and having a group of 3 trusted hive-minded assistants will work greatly in his favor.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Aw, we can't leave the baseless speculation that "faith based family man" is a well known synonym for "freaky sex pervert?"
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Aw, we can't leave the baseless speculation that "faith based family man" is a well known synonym for "freaky sex pervert?"
Better suited for the Religion/Politics board. Anything goes down there.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Aw, we can't leave the baseless speculation that "faith based family man" is a well known synonym for "freaky sex pervert?"
Better suited for the Religion/Politics board. Anything goes down there.
Sounds like something a faith based family man would do.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:When Miller started, no one had a rep as a crack recruiter. It's possible to prove yourself on the job. Miller has younger, hungry guys who will have that chance.

Arizona also sells itself. I don't want to steal from Josh Gershon, but on the other site he had a god damn beautiful example of just how that is the case in regards to the guys Arizona had committed when Lute Olson was fresh off a year he had to sit out due to health reasons and was any day away from retirement. Needless to say the assistants who wrapped that class up (before it went to crap with Olson's retirement) were far from recruiting heavyweights and lord knows Olson wasn't doing any recruiting then either. You add a brand like Arizona with a coach as hungry as Sean Miller is you will recruit well and having a group of 3 trusted hive-minded assistants will work greatly in his favor.
I agree with this statement so much. With a Coach like Sean Miller who is relentless in recruiting and the brand that is the U of A, we will be just fine in recruiting. We have such a great set up for basketball at U of A and so much to sell. Getting talent on campus has not been an issue for a very long time and will not be an issue going forward. Molding that talent is a challenge but welcome to realities of College Basketball today with one and done's and amount of transfers.

I have heard Danny Peters is believed to be a future up and coming great recruiter too. Can relate well with today's generation of players.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Danny Peters is tight with Mark Titus so I know he’s legit.

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Someone want a job....
I would love it.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I like the idea of KP. Would seem to be a good fit for a grad asst spot for a few years and go from there. Would that work?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
prh

Post by prh »

Wasn't Book the guy who brought in KP? I mean I'm a huge KP fan but that plus a no alumni stance make it tough for me to endorse it
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Even Bibby started at the high school level, KP needs to start somewhere.

Don't see KP on Wiki, at least an English version, so translated the Finnish version.

https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Parrom" target="_blank

Professional career
In the autumn of 2013, Parrom appeared to Ukraine in the team that lost the lead but did not get a contract. He was booked on the D-League's 33rd turn. [5] During the 2013-2014 season, Parrom played the D-leg in the Rio Grande Valley Viper with a score of 10.0 points and a medal of 4.3 balloons. In the autumn, Parrom moved to Europe after having signed a player agreement with the Tampere Pyrintö in Finland. Parrom also played in the Pyrinni with Korisliiga and the Baltic League . [6] [7] In his Korislaigade, Parrom scored five points, took three rebounds and gave three injections. [8]After the month of playing, Pyrimen and Parrom canceled the deal, as Parrom's training was not at the club's level. [9]

Towards the end of 2015, Parrom sought out a place in the D-League, but ran away from the final set-up for Texas Legends . [10]
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote:Someone want a job....
I would love it.
I'd leave off the bookstamp if he legit wants a job. That's not the best cosign nowadays.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:Professional career
In the autumn of 2013, Parrom appeared to Ukraine in the team that lost the lead but did not get a contract. He was booked on the D-League's 33rd turn. [5] During the 2013-2014 season, Parrom played the D-leg in the Rio Grande Valley Viper with a score of 10.0 points and a medal of 4.3 balloons. In the autumn, Parrom moved to Europe after having signed a player agreement with the Tampere Pyrintö in Finland. Parrom also played in the Pyrinni with Korisliiga and the Baltic League . [6] [7] In his Korislaigade, Parrom scored five points, took three rebounds and gave three injections. [8]After the month of playing, Pyrimen and Parrom canceled the deal, as Parrom's training was not at the club's level. [9]

Towards the end of 2015, Parrom sought out a place in the D-League, but ran away from the final set-up for Texas Legends . [10]
3 injections?
A medal of 4.3 balloons?

Thank god the ambien I just took is just making me hallucinate and not become a racist like it did to Roseanne.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

He's Danny Peters's bio...

Peters joined the Ball State men's basketball staff as an assistant coach in June 2014 after serving the previous two years as the assistant director of basketball operations at the University of Arizona. He is responsible for scouting opponents’ defenses.

An Ohio State graduate, Peters spent four years total with the men's basketball program at Arizona. He was a graduate manager the first two years and was promoted to assistant director of basketball operations in August 2012. His first three years at Arizona came while Ball State head coach James Whitford was on the Wildcats’ staff.

"Danny is one of the best and brightest young minds in the game," Ball State head coach James Whitford said upon his hiring. "He knows the way we want to play inside and out. He has tremendous experience from his days at Ohio State and Arizona. He is really talented, and we are fortunate to have him join us at Ball State."

Peters oversaw Arizona’s video scouting efforts and was responsible for the organization, breakdown, scouting and presentation of game film. The Cincinnati native, who spent time in Indiana during his childhood, also supervised the academic progress of the Wildcat student-athletes. He served as the co-director of the Sean Miller Basketball Camps and coordinated outreach with former Arizona players.

That's a long road to getting a big boy job on the Arizona basketball coaching staff.

Austin Carrol spent two years as a grad assistant at Arizona before being elevated to assistant director of basketball operations, so he's walking the same path as Peters four years after.

If Parrom wants to get into coaching, going back to Arizona (or elsewhere) and getting his graduate degree while serving as a grad assistant would be the way. He'd have to learn scouting, video editing, and recruiting evaluation.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Chicat wrote:3 injections?
A medal of 4.3 balloons?

Thank god the ambien I just took is making me hallucinate and not become a racist like it did to Roseanne.
Taking an ambien, stay awake, do a whole bunch of kooky shit you'll never remember.

Lesson: always go to bed within 30 minutes of taking your ambien.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
Merkin wrote:Professional career

3 injections?
A medal of 4.3 balloons?

Thank god the ambien I just took is just making me hallucinate and not become a racist like it did to Roseanne.
In D Leg, balloons matter. It's nice to see KP getting involved in the medical field too.

I am a little concerned he ran away from the final set-up. Or maybe that is a good thing? Hard to tell.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:Someone want a job....
I would love it.
I mean he could always be a grad assistant.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

When does Phelps' contract run out?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

NYCat wrote:When does Phelps' contract run out?
I thought I read on June 30th.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote:
NYCat wrote:When does Phelps' contract run out?
I thought I read on June 30th.
That's the end of the fiscal year for the state, so it makes sense.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Tim Miles or bust. I'll fight you if you disagree!

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

So another 1 year stop gap like Romar?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:So another 1 year stop gap like Romar?
The other two assistants are as junior as they get in the field. You need another well experienced guy. My guess is Miller misses some games over the next 2 years as well, so Miles would be vastly important in that regard.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So just how bad did Phelps take it in the keister. I think he totally got screwed.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:So just how bad did Phelps take it in the keister. I think he totally got screwed.
He most certainly did, but in the end he will have not been "fired" nor will anything damning be on his record. The man will get another job. Heeke is an idiot.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

ChooChooCat wrote:My guess is Miller misses some games over the next 2 years as well, so Miles would be vastly important in that regard.
:?:
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Well Miles is certainly an all-time good guy and clean, which is probably what the program needs now.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Jefe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:My guess is Miller misses some games over the next 2 years as well, so Miles would be vastly important in that regard.
:?:
Miller probably takes a suspension from the NCAA as a result of the investigation. Boeheim was suspended for nine games, by way of example (I'm not equating the two cases).
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

NYCat wrote:Well Miles is certainly an all-time good guy and clean, which is probably what the program needs now.
He was the one shining podcast "good guy of the year"
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.