Assistant Coaches

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Assistant Coaches

Post by Merkin »

So the 3 recruiting coaches are all white?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:19 pm So the 3 recruiting coaches are all white?
There's 4 coaches. We still have to hire JET's replacement.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:44 pm
Merkin wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:19 pm So the 3 recruiting coaches are all white?
We going to get a guy who has contacts in Europe?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:40 pm
ChooChooCat wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:44 pm
We going to get a guy who has contacts in Europe?
It’s truly the only place we don’t recruit, so it’d make sense.
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

Basketcats wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:50 pm Good for JET. He shouldn't be expected to want to endure the $h!tshow that the inexperienced and unqualified UofA basketball coaching staff and a patchwork team are about to present to the fans. Congrats Lloyd groupies...now alumni are turning their backs to the program. It's just a matter of time before JG makes a run for it too.
Edited for clarification

So....YoDeFoe...You have a problem with my opinion on the current state of our once illustrious basketball program? Sorry...I wouldn't have called you out but you saw fit to just neg rep me without posting a response to my post and afford me the opportunity to respond back (since I am unable to neg rep).
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Basketcats wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:57 pm
Basketcats wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:50 pm Good for JET. He shouldn't be expected to want to endure the $h!tshow that the inexperienced and unqualified UofA basketball coaching staff and a patchwork team are about to present to the fans. Congrats Lloyd groupies...now alumni are turning their backs to the program. It's just a matter of time before JG makes a run for it too.
So....YoDeFoe...You have a problem with my opinion on the current state of our once illustrious basketball program? Sorry...wouldn't have called you out if I could have neg rep'd you.
I've got a bias towards optimism.

The flip side of that is that I have little patience for assumptions and fortune telling of unfavorable outcomes. An honest assessment is useful. A "woe is me" forecast of doom and gloom, especially one that persists to the point of rumination... it's not for me.

We've had our discussions about the pro's and con's of the treatment of Miller, the job search, and the hiring of Lloyd. At this point if you have a "fuck Tommy Lloyd" opinion that isn't supported by some egregious misstep or failure - well, write it in your journal.

Or do whatever you want and blast him on the board. We're all just typing our thoughts. Rep points don't mean anything.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Edited for clarification

So....YoDeFoe...You have a problem with my opinion on the current state of our once illustrious basketball program? Sorry...I wouldn't have called you out but you saw fit to just neg rep me without posting a response to my post and afford me the opportunity to respond back (since I am unable to neg rep).
It’s too bad you won’t get that promotion at work because you got neg rep on this board.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Do we have super secret rep club here like at TOS?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Can I neg rep triangle & Too?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAEebs86 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:37 pm Do we have super secret rep club here like at TOS?
If you win an argument on the political board, you consume the rep of your fallen opponent.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:33 pm
UAEebs86 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:37 pm Do we have super secret rep club here like at TOS?
If you win an argument on the political board, you consume the rep of your fallen opponent.
And their soul, correct?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:53 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:33 pm
And their soul, correct?
I was under the impression arguing about politics on the internet erases one's soul.
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

YoDeFoe wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:28 pm
So....YoDeFoe...You have a problem with my opinion on the current state of our once illustrious basketball program? Sorry...wouldn't have called you out if I could have neg rep'd you.
I've got a bias towards optimism.

The flip side of that is that I have little patience for assumptions and fortune telling of unfavorable outcomes. An honest assessment is useful. A "woe is me" forecast of doom and gloom, especially one that persists to the point of rumination... it's not for me.

We've had our discussions about the pro's and con's of the treatment of Miller, the job search, and the hiring of Lloyd. At this point if you have a "fuck Tommy Lloyd" opinion that isn't supported by some egregious misstep or failure - well, write it in your journal.

Or do whatever you want and blast him on the board. We're all just typing our thoughts. Rep points don't mean anything.
If rep points don't mean anything then why did you neg rep at all? If you disagree with an opinion post a rebuttal. WTF? Give the person you disagree with a chance to hear what you have to say and then engage in conversation about it. That is all my call out is about. Thanks for the response BTW. 😀
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Looks like a damn good one.

A former college head coach and a Hall-of-Fame assistant, Steve Robinson is in his 18th year at Carolina and his 26th on Roy Williams’ staff.

As Williams’ top assistant, Robinson’s primary responsibilities include scouting, recruiting and bench coaching. He helped recruit numerous future NBA players, including Nassir Little, Harrison Barnes, Danny Green, John Henson, Ed Davis, Marvin Williams, Brandan Wright and Paul Pierce to Carolina and Kansas.

Robinson works daily with the Tar Heel perimeter players, mentoring Cousy Award-winning point guards Raymond Felton, Ty Lawson and Kendall Marshall, as well as 2017 Final Four MVP Joel Berry II.

In 2019, Robinson was inducted into the A Step Above Assistant Coaches Hall of Fame.

Robinson is the second-longest-tenured assistant in UNC history behind only Bill Guthridge (30 years).

He has been named one of the top-25 recruiters in college basketball four times since coming to Carolina. Fox Sports has named him one of the top five high-major assistant coaches in all of college basketball.

Robinson was head coach at Tulsa for two years and at Florida State for five years. As head coach at Florida State, he led the Seminoles to the second round of the 1998 NCAA Tournament. Robinson was head coach at Tulsa in 1995-96 and 1996-97. He led the Golden Hurricane to a 46-18 record and back-to-back appearances in the NCAA Tournament.

Robinson was an assistant at Kansas from 1988-95 and in 2002-03. Before joining Williams in 1988, Robinson spent two years as an assistant coach at Cornell and three seasons at his alma mater, Radford.

A native of Roanoke, Va., Robinson graduated from William Fleming High School and Ferrum Junior College, where he played basketball for two seasons. He was team captain at Radford in 1979 and 1980. While at Radford, he earned his bachelor’s degree in health and physical education in 1981 and his master’s degree in counseling in 1985.

He is a member of the Ferrum Junior College and Radford University Halls of Fame and will be inducted into the William Fleming HS Hall of Fame in December 2019. He serves on the Board of Visitors at Radford.

Robinson and his wife, Lisa, have four children – daughters Shauna and Kiaya and sons Tarron and Denzel. Tarron is married to the former Kathryn Small, and the couple has a daughter, Chloe. Denzel played two seasons for the Tar Heels and graduated in 2014.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Wow
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Bitter toward UNC?
Sounds like a good hire.
I’m assuming he is black, which has been a concern here on the board.

Did he and CTL meet at a HOF reunion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Postmaster wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:17 pm Bitter toward UNC?
Sounds like a good hire.

You are correct. He's also been head coach at Tulsa and Florida St.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Irish27 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:51 pm
Home run hire, given the late timing and our needs. Brings a lot of credibility to the staff, has deep US recruiting connections, and while he's long in the tooth - by the time he's ready to hang it up Lloyd will be able to pick a young running mate. This is mana from heaven, y'all.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Postmaster wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:17 pm Bitter toward UNC?
Sounds like a good hire.

I think he needed to get out of UNC in order to allow Hubert Davis to hire his own guys. Coach Rob was Roy's longtime assistant and is 12 years senior to Davis.

Very helpful for us given Coach Rob has been a head coach at two schools and an assistant under Roy Williams for his years (and successes) at both Kansas and UNC.

Robinson has three NCAA championships and nine Final Four appearances from his time as Coach Roy's lead assistant.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Impressive hire. Could be just what this relatively young staff needs.
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

Interesting hire. Taking a page out of the Juwan Howard playbook (Phil Martelli). Who better to teach Lloyd how to be the next Roy than his longtime assistant? Me thinks he's been reading the Wildcat social media posts.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

He recruited a bunch of NC 5 star guys I think. Has to be a great hire
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

We'll see if he's the right fit, but we could certainly do much worse. He's basically been with Roy except for the two blah HC years, but you can certainly think if he could handle business for UNC and Kansas, he shouldn't be overmatched at Arizona.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

That’s a really good hire, especially so late in the summer as others pointed out.

My only question is what kind of relationships he has within west coast high schools and AAU programs. I’m guessing less than we might think we need.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Why limit our recruiting to west coast? I'm sure he has dealt with most high level AAU coaches no matter where they are. Pulled a rabbit out of the hat here.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:35 pm That’s a really good hire, especially so late in the summer as others pointed out.

My only question is what kind of relationships he has within west coast high schools and AAU programs. I’m guessing less than we might think we need.
West coast not much, but plenty of ties in obvious North Carolina recruiting areas. He was UNC’s main recruiter of Jaden Bradley and after he was let go it was obvious Bradley wasn’t going to end up there.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:51 am
Chicat wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:35 pm That’s a really good hire, especially so late in the summer as others pointed out.

West coast not much, but plenty of ties in obvious North Carolina recruiting areas. He was UNC’s main recruiter of Jaden Bradley and after he was let go it was obvious Bradley wasn’t going to end up there.
So I take it Murphy and Tommy Boy will handle west coast. Robinson will handle east coast and south. And then Fois and Tommy will handle Europe and fill in where needed?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I’m sure over his career at KU and UNC, he’s got plenty of National recruiting contacts. They both have coast to coast recruiting footprints.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

wyo-cat wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:35 am I’m sure over his career at KU and UNC, he’s got plenty of National recruiting contacts. They both have coast to coast recruiting footprints.
I don't think it's unbelievably hard to develop contacts in a new region either.

Miller had us dipping into the McDonald's AA pool by year 3. Same with Cronin at UCLA, who also came in not having previously recruited the West.

Year 1 is weird, but Miller's second class was #32, then #4 in Year 3. That's the track you want to see from Lloyd. Year 2, decent players. Year 3, standout class. That's not crazy for Lloyd and most of his staff walking in recruiting the guys we want.

I'd certainly hope Robinson would be able to match that progress no matter where he's recruiting from. Even if he lacks right now type relationships, he can add value is his year 1 (Lloyd's year 2) and be full speed by the 2023 class.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Love the hire. Definitely an upgrade over Jet, no offense to Jet. Wish him all the success in his coaching career and that he ends up good enough to come back as head coach but I always thought he had nba aspirations over college for coaching.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

wyo-cat wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:35 am I’m sure over his career at KU and UNC, he’s got plenty of National recruiting contacts. They both have coast to coast recruiting footprints.
Interestingly, the only kid UNC has on their roster who is from the Mountain or Pacific time zones is D’Marco Dunn who grew up in Tucson, but went to high school in North Carolina.

Look, I’m not trying to shit on the hire. I think Robinson is a great hire. I am just not sure that putting Jack Murphy in charge of recruiting the entire west coast is a recipe for success.

I want Tommy Boy to have as many arrows in his quiver as possible to have success right away. If all the top talent west of the Rockies is going to go to Oregon, UCLA, and Gonzaga we might have an uphill battle returning to prominence.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:51 amWest coast not much, but plenty of ties in obvious North Carolina recruiting areas. He was UNC’s main recruiter of Jaden Bradley and after he was let go it was obvious Bradley wasn’t going to end up there.
We already got Dylan away from NC, possibly Jaden next :shock:

I see 5 warm recruits on their '22 list, all top 100 players. Exciting times

https://247sports.com/college/north-car ... ll/Offers/
97cats

Post by 97cats »

KaibabKat wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:43 pm Impressive hire. Could be just what this relatively young staff needs.
this is a home run on every level
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:41 am
ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:51 am

So I take it Murphy and Tommy Boy will handle west coast. Robinson will handle east coast and south. And then Fois and Tommy will handle Europe and fill in where needed?
I’m not sure what recruiting responsibility Fois will have. Murphy is gold internationally, so it’d be hard to pull him away from that too. Fois’s primary responsibility will be player development and I think it’s still TBD on his recruiting. May slow roll him into it.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Also glad to see when basketball players return to continue their education.

Former Arizona standout Ryan Anderson returning to Wildcats as graduate assistant

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... t12tqN21_g
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:52 pm Also glad to see when basketball players return to continue their education.

Former Arizona standout Ryan Anderson returning to Wildcats as graduate assistant

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... t12tqN21_g
Ryan Anderson is also the most forgettable 15-10 Wildcat that Spaceman Spiff has ever encountered.

He had a fantastic stat line and in my brain, I forget he was at Arizona for long stretches, then things like this get posted and I remember he was here and actually pretty legit that one year.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I don’t really consider him a former Cat…
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Kind of reminds me of a more athletic Ricky Anderson. He got the points and rebounds, but did it quietly.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

He redshirted then played a year.
He should have been teamed up with Trier And Ray Smith.
He’s a really nice guy and should be a great face for the school.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Postmaster wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:00 pm He redshirted then played a year.
He was a sit a year transfer, I believe.

The 15-16 team and 16-17 teams could have both benefitted so much from Ray Smith. 15-16, Trier's hand injury derailed things too. Smith had the most unfortunate career in Arizona history and Trier might be second.

Anderson was a so so defender, but with a different roster composition, he could have helped us to big things. The big issue that year was also PJC getting overwhelmed by good opponents, as he tended to do, and that Kadeem wasn't quite ready to help out like he did in 16-17.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:34 am
The 15-16 team and 16-17 teams could have both benefitted so much from Ray Smith. 15-16, Trier's hand injury derailed things too. Smith had the most unfortunate career in Arizona history and Trier might be second.
Kevin Parrom and Jawann Mcclellan come to mind, being a SF at Arizona is a dangerous game. Someone bubble wrap Mathurin.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

no jinx
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Ryan also had a shoulder injury at BC so many think he would have sat out that first year either way.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:40 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:34 am
Kevin Parrom and Jawann Mcclellan come to mind, being a SF at Arizona is a dangerous game. Someone bubble wrap Mathurin.
Those are good contenders for the #2 spot. I doubt anyone can match Ray going from the jewel of a recruiting class to never playing an official game, but we've had some bad luck.

Trier's PED saga probably makes him #2 in my book just for the sheer weirdness of its recurrence a year afterwards. McClellan was limited heavily by his injury and Parrom had the shooting right as he was set to break out, and they are both sad stories.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Did we officially announce Fois and I just missed it?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TheCat wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:46 am Did we officially announce Fois and I just missed it?
Not yet.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

hmmmm?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TheCat wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:03 pmhmmmm?
There's nothing fishy there. He's on a work VISA and to change jobs he needs to get another work VISA approved and the pandemic has ridiculously delayed the timeline on such things. He's our guy.