Starting Lineup '18-19

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

YoDeFoe

Starting Lineup '18-19

Post by YoDeFoe »

Should we do a starting lineup guessing thread that's gonna make us all look silly in the fall? Am I going to have a beer at lunch to ease out of my Memorial Day Weekend hangover? Sure why not what's the worst that could happen.

Let's do [Start of Season] / [End of Season] as categories. Or whatever.

[SoS]
Coleman
Smith
Akot
Luther
Jeter

[EoS]
Williams
Randolph
Akot
Luther
Jeter

DD, OT, AB get minimal minutes, the other 8 are in the rotation.
midnightx

Re: Starting Lineup '18-19

Post by midnightx »

Your EoS line-up is a good one. Randolph should start over Smith from day one. Smith is a rotation player at best. If Williams is ready, he should get the nod.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

YoDeFoe wrote:Should we do a starting lineup guessing thread that's gonna make us all look silly in the fall? Am I going to have a beer at lunch to ease out of my Memorial Day Weekend hangover? Sure why not what's the worst that could happen.

[SoS]
Coleman
Smith
Akot
Luther
Jeter

[EoS]
Williams
Randolph
Akot
Luther
Jeter

I'm exactly with you on these, YDF.

Especially on the Akot placement right from the bell. I expect the dude to get the PT he deserves immediately and respond. I really hope Coach uses him as a PForward who can alternate with our PG of the moment in bringing the ball down, and a solid choice to bring the ball down when Williams is on the bench. Em has the vision, the handles, the body, and the scoring threat himself to drive most any conventional PG opponent nuts in my view. Can't wait to see him develop and show.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think Coleman and Williams start from the get go. I think Akot, Luther and Jeter round it out with Randolph and Smith being the first two off the bench on the perimeter and Lee the first big off the bench
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Midnight: I think we all hope Randolph starts over Smith.

EOCT: You and me both on Akot. A more athletic / better handles / bigger version of Luke Walton? Too much to ask for?

49: Miller's penchant for starting guys who've already "proven" themselves forces me to start Smith from the get go.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Yo, I get you and you know your bball stuff but man, am I wrong to think we are in trouble if Smith earns that spot. He just seems to be to lose with the ball and if you have Coleman and Williams in the back court you have two PG's minimizing turnovers. Bring Randolph or Smith in at the 2 and 3 and you always have a PG in the game. Williams and Coleman splitting time seems to me to be a waste of our best players
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Like most, really hope EoS is a lot close to SoS than not.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Should we do a starting lineup guessing thread that's gonna make us all look silly in the fall? Am I going to have a beer at lunch to ease out of my Memorial Day Weekend hangover? Sure why not what's the worst that could happen.

[SoS]
Coleman
Smith
Akot
Luther
Jeter

[EoS]
Williams
Randolph
Akot
Luther
Jeter

That's more or less how I see it. The only real competition is Williams, Coleman, Randolph and Smith for the guard spots. I tend to think the frontcourt is set.

As I've said before, I hope Randolph is a starter asap. He has such a high ceiling, the sooner he can get there, the better off we are.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

azcat49 wrote:Yo, I get you and you know your bball stuff but man, am I wrong to think we are in trouble if Smith earns that spot. He just seems to be to lose with the ball and if you have Coleman and Williams in the back court you have two PG's minimizing turnovers. Bring Randolph or Smith in at the 2 and 3 and you always have a PG in the game. Williams and Coleman splitting time seems to me to be a waste of our best players
Yeah I agree - I think the idea is to play Coleman and Williams together and it's entirely possible (maybe likely?) they get the day one nod and are our starting backcourt the entire season. I'm couching my SoS based on Miller's habits and the EoS is based on my hopes for high upside players (Williams, Randolph, Akot).

But reality? Probably Coleman / Williams / (Smith or Akot or Randoph) / Luther / Jeter is our lineup for 85% of our games. It's not the sexiest but Miller's lineups rarely are.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote:Yo, I get you and you know your bball stuff but man, am I wrong to think we are in trouble if Smith earns that spot. He just seems to be to lose with the ball and if you have Coleman and Williams in the back court you have two PG's minimizing turnovers. Bring Randolph or Smith in at the 2 and 3 and you always have a PG in the game. Williams and Coleman splitting time seems to me to be a waste of our best players
Generally, Miller tends to give veteran players first looks. Personally, that's why I think YDF's predictions have a good chance.

Coleman and Smith are a senior and 4 year junior. It would be a Miller thing to do to let them get the first shot. Williams and Randolph have higher ceilings, so hopefully they take over.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Coleman didnt transfer to Arizona to sit. On the same foot Williams didn't recommit to Arizona to sit. Both start to begin and end the season. Akot, Randolph, Smith battle is out for the starting 3 spot. Luther at the 4 and Jeter at the 5. Lee and the two wings who don't start at the 3 are your rotation. Maybe room for one more guy, but he's gonna have to earn it.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:Coleman didnt transfer to Arizona to sit. On the same foot Williams didn't recommit to Arizona to sit. Both start to begin and end the season. Akot, Randolph, Smith battle is out for the starting 3 spot. Luther at the 4 and Jeter at the 5. Lee and the two wings who don't start at the 3 are your rotation. Maybe room for one more guy, but he's gonna have to earn it.
You don't think Doutrive cracks the rotation?

I'm ok with it if he doesn't. Being more patient with player development is a virtue and we could use a couple guys who marinate for a few years. Doutrive type prospects can be the sort of veteran rocks like Kadeem that made so much difference.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:Coleman didnt transfer to Arizona to sit. On the same foot Williams didn't recommit to Arizona to sit. Both start to begin and end the season. Akot, Randolph, Smith battle is out for the starting 3 spot. Luther at the 4 and Jeter at the 5. Lee and the two wings who don't start at the 3 are your rotation. Maybe room for one more guy, but he's gonna have to earn it.
Agree with this. Hope that one of DD or OT play themselves into the rotation though.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
You don't think Doutrive cracks the rotation?

I'm ok with it if he doesn't. Being more patient with player development is a virtue and we could use a couple guys who marinate for a few years. Doutrive type prospects can be the sort of veteran rocks like Kadeem that made so much difference.
Never said it's impossible, I just think Williams, Randolph, Akot, and Smith will get vast majority of the wing minutes. If Akot ends up playing a lot of 4 that could open up more minutes for Doutrive or Thielemans.