Former Cats in the NBA

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

84Cat

Re: Former Cats in the NBA

Post by 84Cat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:So, I just learned Bret Brielmaier is a Cavaliers assistant. How about that?
If you watch the game, he sits right behind Blatt. You can easily see his mug 2-3 times/game. The Warriors have 3 ex-cats on their coaching staff.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Just had his best season too.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Seems dumb. Could have used him as a trade piece.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Chicat wrote:
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I'm in Salt Lake City right now and am staying right next to The Jazz arena... just found out the 76ers are playing the Jazz here tonight... I'm going to root on TJ tonight... Can't wait!
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Jefe wrote:
What am I missing in the picture? Is this supposed to be a video?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Ya its a video of them lifting TJ up to dunk it
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Didn't TJ dunk in a game?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Chicat wrote:Didn't TJ dunk in a game?
Practice

http://websta.me/p/911048364794183602_624534222
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Jefe wrote:
Chicat wrote:Didn't TJ dunk in a game?
Practice

http://websta.me/p/911048364794183602_624534222
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Alieberman wrote:I'm in Salt Lake City right now and am staying right next to The Jazz arena... just found out the 76ers are playing the Jazz here tonight... I'm going to root on TJ tonight... Can't wait!
Did you wind up going to the game? He played great. I think he had 7 or 8 assists but it should have been closer to 14.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Budinger, Hill, and Hill? Indiana Cats.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Yeah, Pacers now have 'Dreads', Solo, and Chase.

They also have every Hill in the NBA (Jordan, Soloman, and George from IUPUI)

Pacers Video: Getting to Know Jordan Hill and Chase Budinger
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Wednesday the Warriors made the expected official and promoted Luke Walton into the second seat next to Steve Kerr,
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2015/07/29/war ... ant-coach/
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Jerrett's future in Salt Lake City?
There is no good time to get hurt, but Utah Jazz forward Grant Jerrett's injury seems to have come at a particularly inopportune moment.

As the Jazz opened training camp with two-a-days on Tuesday, the 22-year-old forward remained sidelined by a shoulder injury he suffered during the first game of summer league play.

"It's feeling really well," Jerrett said Monday. "I don't know what the timing will be to get back on the court. I'm just taking it day by day."

But for Jerrett, those days in Utah could be numbered.
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/3006355-15 ... akes-grant
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Olsondogg wrote:

tore his labrum

I tore mine playing racquetball, had surgery last December to repair and it still hurts. Of course GJ is less than half my age, and then some still.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

LMAO, well done O-Dogg.

Merkin, will get better with time. I partially tore my labrum junior year of college. No surgery, no rehab, just hung them up. Pain slowly subsided over the years, and now I can enjoy pretty much any activity, including heavy weight lifting, without much discomfort as long as I don't get reckless. Can even air out a baseball, though I won't be able to wipe my ass for a week after. I stay away from tennis and racquetball, anything that requires that "throwing-like" motion unless it's something I absolutely love. I take it easy when it's time to chuck around a football, as long as I don't pretend I'm John Elway I am good.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

crazy story

‘I play with guns': Caron Butler’s inside account of the Gilbert Arenas gun incident

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc- ... -incident/" target="_blank
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Unreal. GA was nothing even close to that in Tucson, he was just another Richard Jefferson and Luke Walton. Got a big head, maybe some mild mental illness based on all the weird shit he'd done over his life, and his bluff got called. Such a bluff or actions would make sense for someone who was raised in an environment where that is how things mostly get handled. Just weird though for a guy with a middle-class upbringing, who went to a middle-class high school, then Arizona. I know plenty of people who went through phases like that, but they were 18-20, without millions of dollars and weren't playing professional sports.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Crittenton was pure class
Crittenton reportedly joined the Crips after signing with the Los Angeles Lakers, according to Fulton County assistant district attorney Gabe Banks, and allegedly also shot at Demontinez Stephens earlier in August 2011. The target in both shootings was reportedly Trontavious Stephens, Demontinez's brother and a member of the R. O. C. Crew, which is part of the Bloods

While out on bond on the murder charges, Crittenton was arrested pursuant to a January 10, 2014, indictment of him and 13 other persons who were accused of selling multi-kilo quantities of cocaine and several hundred pounds of marijuana. Crittenton was charged with two counts of conspiracy to violate the Georgia Controlled Substance Act.

On April 29, 2015, shortly before his trial was set to begin, Crittenton pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter with a weapon and aggravated assault with a firearm. He was sentenced to 23 years in prison
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

LMAO. Im dying at someone joining the Lakers, and then immediately joining the Crips.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Too many Cats in the league to keep their own threads going. Might as well compile them here

Stanley played against Rondae last night

29mins 12pts 7rebs 2 asts 2stls 2blks 2 TOs

Rondae had 0 pts 4rebs in 28mins but it looked like he guarded Marcus Morris who only put up 8 pts & 3 rebs in 19 mins

TJs first game last night. Didnt start but played a lot and looked great. 76ers coach said they have to narrow down their PG list from 6 to 3 and the announcers said all game that TJ needs to be in that top 3. They loved him, talked about Miller, AZ, SJ, AG and how he completely changed our program. Guarded Dellavedova for a few possessions and stopped him on a fast break layup. Jumped into the crowd twice to save balls he had no chance of saving :lol: Pure hustle and leadership all game.

21mins 6pts 4asts 3rebs 0 TOs

2-5 FGs
1-3 3PTs
1-1 FTs

At the end of the 1Q he went to the bench and got high fives. One of which came from Assistant Coach, Sean Rooks :lol: Then Richard Jefferson checked in for the Cavs.

Cunningham put up 31...

NJs 1st game for the Nuggets, 10 mins off the bench. 0 pts 1 ast

Magic/Pacers last night. 5 wildcats on those teams, record??

AG out with the jaw injury
Channing didnt play
Solo sprained left ankle
Budinger sore left hamstring
Jordan Hill 15 mins 10 pts 7 rebs 3 blks 5-7 FGs

DWills first game with the Knicks 2 nights ago

15 mins 6 pts 4 rebs 1 ast 2 TOs

Parrom was in attendance and got a pic

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Nice summary, Jefe. Thanks. And impressive stuff coast to coast.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

For those that missed Stanleys first game:
Jefe wrote:34 mins 26pts 3rebs 4asts 2 stls 6 TOs 5 fouls

8/17 FGs
3/6 3PTs
7/9 FTs
+8 +/-
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

TJ at 1:15 with the assist to Okafor

He came in with 5 mins left in the 1Q and then started the 2Q and hit his first three
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Stanley vs Bucks

29mins 15pts 6rebs 2asts 1bl +27

5/12 FGs
2/3 3PT
3/3 FTs

Hes developed a Duncan-esque kiss of the glass :shock:

TJs second game vs Rondae and the Nets.

Rondae came off the bench this game

14mins 2pts 4 rebs 1stl

TJ off the bench

20mins 7pts 4rebs 6asts 4stls 1bl 4tos -2

3/5 FGs
1/2 FTs
Hit a 17' jumper with 6 seconds left that won the game

It appears the Coach is more than thrilled with his play and also hints towards him making the roster. This was before his 2nd game too
“How good was T.J. last night?” the coach said of McConnell showing grit, leading the offense and making heading decisions in Thursday’s 115-114 preseason victory over the Cleveland Cavaliers. “Fun. He understands good to great.”

“The other stuff is proven. He’s a heady defender. He passes the hell out of it. He plays with amazing pace. I think he will be very popular in the city.”

Brown noted that the Pittsburgh native is still in a ‘fistfight’ to make the team.

“But what we’ve seen so far, you say he’s done well,” the coach added.
Hes headed to MSG to face DWill tonight

DWill oiff the bench against the Wiz

21mins 23pts 4rebs 1 stl 3tos

7/11 FGs
0/3 3PTs
9/9 FTs

Would love to see those mini dreads turned into an afro

AG still out
Channing 26mins 14pts 4rebs 3asts 1 bl
Jet DNP
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Dwill scored so much in college by getting fouled and making and 1's and it's good to see he's getting to the line again. Key to his success
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

DWill vs 76ers

25mins off the bench 21pts 3rebs 1ast 1stl 6tos +8

8/12 FGs
2/2 3PTs
3/3 FTs

Several dunks. MSG loves him

TJ DNP. Wilbekin and Canaan getting the minutes. Only 3 games left so we'll see. Found this which isn't good:
Scottie Wilbekin is slated to see the majority of the backup minutes over T.J. McConnell for Monday’s game against the Knicks at Madison Square Garden, but Pierre Jackson, Kendall Marshall and Tony Wroten have yet to see any court time.

So when asked if he still planned on having three point guards on his opening night roster, coach Brett Brown stuck with his original plan — with one caveat.

Nik Stauskas could see some time at point guard.

“I think Stauskas has something in him that he could play a little bit at [point guard] like [Spurs guard] Manu (Ginobli) used to way back when. A little bit,” Brown said before Monday’s game. “The three I said, I stand by, but I think Stauskas, in a pinch, can be used there from time to time.”
and this
RJ

30mins as a starter 11pts 6rebs 1ast 1stl 2 tos -9

4/8 FGs
3/6 3PTs

In other news . . . Stanley scored more in his first game than Justise has in 3 games
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Wilbekin has not impressed me at all. With a year of pro experience under his belt, TJ is going to give you much more. Hell, he does several things, include run an offense, better than Wilbekin does right now.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

If only Wilbekin hadnt hit that game winner from deep a few nights ago. At least TJ matched it :lol:

Stanley is playing like a beast

35mins 16pts 6rebs 1ast 2 tos -3

5/15 FGs
0/3 3PTs
6/7 FGs

Chase could not contain him. Even Jordan came over to help on a play. 3 Wildcats on 1 shot :lol:

Chase's first game with IND

21mins 7pts 2rebs 2asts 1bl 1to -7

3/7 FGs
1/4 3PTs

JHill

18mins 6pts 3rebs 2asts 1stl 1bl -6

Solo DNP

Aarons first game with ORL

17mins off the bench 10pts 3rebs 1ast 2stls 1bl +8

5/10 FGs
0/1 3PTs

and these :shock:

Channing

19mins 12pts 8rebs 1bl

5/7 FGs
2/2 3PTs

NJ

23 mins 6rebs 3asts 3tos

2/6 FGs

Guarded Steph several times and looked great
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://nypost.com/2015/10/13/derrick-wi ... eputation/" target="_blank
Derrick Williams: Knicks’ triangle will shatter bust reputation

By Marc BermanOctober 13, 2015 | 4:09pm

Imagine when Derrick Williams figures out the triangle.

“I’m still messing up a lot of the plays — just playing off instinct,’’ Williams said. “Teammates are finding me in open spots and [I’m] knocking down shots. I pretty much know, honestly, half the offense. I’m still making a lot of mistakes. I have to watch a lot of film, have to learn from that. I’m a big film guy.’’

Williams, viewed as a big draft bust since being selected No. 2 in 2011, was regarded as Knicks president Phil Jackson’s most irresponsible offseason signing at two years, $9.5 million. All the enigmatic forward has done is become the Knicks’ leading scorer the past two exhibitions — dropping 23 points Friday in Washington and 21 against the 76ers on Monday. Sure, he’s committed nine turnovers in the process, including six against Philly, but the triangle wasn’t learned in a day.

In contrast, shooting guard Arron Afflalo was hailed as the Knicks’ most economical free-agent signing at two years, $16 million. Afflalo has yet to make his Knicks debut because of a hamstring strain, and he is expected miss his fourth straight preseason game Friday against the Celtics.
The 6-foot-8 Williams, sporting a set of braids this fall, is the Knicks’ most athletic player, scoring in transition, on dunks and from 3-point range. Jackson said last month Williams was a good fit with Carmelo Anthony, interchangeable players at the 3 and 4. The bigger revelation is Williams can be the sixth man spark plug when Anthony gets a breather.

“I’m trying to be dynamic, man, and be all over the court,’’ said Williams, who has shot 15-of-23 in the last two contests. “That’s what Coach wants me to do. I take on the challenge of playing two, three spots and want to learn them and show how versatile I am. It’s really showing the first couple of games.’’

At the age of 24, the Arizona product finally feels he’s being used in a more prominent offensive role and likes the triangle’s “equal opportunity’’ nature.

“That’s something we did lack on the team,’’ Williams said of his high-flying traits. “I can bring that: running in transition, running on the wing, pick and pops, everywhere on the court. That’s why I got drafted, not being stuck in the corner.’’

Williams spent two mediocre seasons in Minnesota before traded to Sacramento at the start of his third season in November 2013. He credits Kings coach George Karl for helping him improve over last season’s final 30 games. But Karl was fine letting Williams flee.

Williams relished first-time free agency, but he never heard from Sacramento on July 1. “Nope. I didn’t really care,’’ Williams said. “I knew where I wanted to go.’’ Williams said he coveted being part of “a rebuilding process’’ and the Knicks franchise’s “prestige.’’

“When I got drafted, they picked me, I didn’t pick them,’’ Williams said. “I chose to be here. Phil wanted me here. Derek Fisher wanted me here. As soon as I was done with the meeting, I called my agent 10 minutes after and said: ‘I’m signing up.’

Turnovers and inconsistent defense could linger as issues once the regular season commences Oct. 28 in Milwaukee. In July, a source close to Karl lamented Williams’ low basketball IQ and expressed concern he could master Jackson’s convoluted scheme.

But Anthony saw signs of this Williams explosion when they scrimmaged informally in September and the LA product arrived in superb shape.
“I don’t think I’m surprised,’’ Anthony said. “You guys don’t see what we’ve seen throughout training camp, practice. It’s paying off. He came into camp in great condition and shape. Coming here really challenged him to see how good a shape he can get in.’’

Fisher loves Williams’ ability to play multiple positions and believes if nurtured, Williams will soar at the Garden like never before.

“We believe if we can make him feel comfortable here and that he’s valued not just as a basketball player but as a man and that we’re behind him 100 percent, we can create a program around him that will help him be at his best,’’ Fisher said.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Apparently DWill is oddly much better shooting from the left than from the right . . . even though he's right handed.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/knicks-forw ... 1444865644" target="_blank
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

TJ got the start Friday w a thinned out roster vs wizards. 10 pts on 5-7 shooting, 10 assists, 4 steals, 4 turnovers
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

TJ got the start again vs Nets. Was very impressive in the first half, second half was average but he did some nice things. 6 pts in 3-8 shooting (a few bad forces on drives and a late shot clock 3 he had to take because of a teammate mishandling ball). 5 boards, 3 dimes, 2 steals and a few forced TOs on defensive hustle, no turnovers of his own. He would have had 8 or 9 assists had his teammates not been a complete collection of idiots. They mishandled a number of his great passes, werent ready for them, clanked wide open looks. He was great with his dribble, he was getting into the lane a ton, had two nice pull up jumpers. With some halfway decent teammates, man.

Id be shocked if he doesnt make this team. For extended periods he looked like the best player and or most competent on the floor and its not like he had a great game, it was just vintage TJ type stuff. Wilbekins been knocking down threes. He didnt do much else but he was 3-4 from deep tonight, and TJ turned down one or two he should have taken.

Rondae looked like he was hiding on offense the whole game. Teammates obviously see his limitations and its almost like hes told to ay good D and be as far away from the ball as possible on other end. His on ball D was surprising, being nice, average at best. he got burned multiple times. His hands though were active, had a few steals and a nice block, also a few disruptive plays that lead to steals or turnovers.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://www.libertyballers.com/2015/10/2 ... in-jackson" target="_blank
8 Days Until Sixers: The Point Guard Battle

The Sixers only have one more pre-season game left, and the roster is beginning to take shape. More and more, the players are demonstrating why they may have a shot at the team, or why they are likely to be dropped. The one area that is stubbornly refusing to sort itself out is the point guard battle, where the Sixers brought six suitors into training camp, but only have three spots to offer them.

Among the non-point guards, there are 8 sure-fire locks to make the final roster: Okafor, Noel, and Embiid down low; Covington, JaKarr, and Jerami as larger wings; and Stauskas and Holliswood as shooters. Richaun Holmes looks very likely given his contract and strong play, as does Christian Wood, who impressed with his play and possesses the single most team-friendly contract on the roster. If Carl Landry were going to be cut, Hinkie would have done it by now,

That leaves four spots for Furkan Aldemir and the point guards. While Brett Brown did predict keeping three point guards, it's possible that, given the injuries to the best two starters on the team, the Sixers change tack and keep four of them, dropping Aldemir (and his guaranteed $2.8 million).

Among the point guards, Kendall Marshall and Tony Wroten are the two locks. Neither has played at a starting guard level, but both have shown glimpses of potential to reach it. They are head and shoulders above the other players vying for roster spots, and it would be a shock to see either when cut before the end of camp. That leaves two spots for the remaining four point guards and Aldemir.

Isaiah Canaan should be in as well. While he is frequently maligned around these parts, he's also one of the most unique players in the league. Canaan's shooting isn't just a strength, it's absolutely elite in the NBA. Among all NBA players who played more than 35 games last year and attempted more than 2 pull-up 3-pointers per game, Canaan had the highest field goal percentage of anyone, including Stephen Curry.* He may not know how to best leverage this skill, but he has shown an improved assertiveness in pre-season, driving to the hoop more frequently. Paired with Tony Wroten, who is tall enough to guard 2's, Canaan could help to provide a strong offensive punch off the bench. Expect him to be here on opening night.

That leaves one spot for Furkan Aldemir, TJ McConnell, Scottie Wilbekin, and Pierre Jackson.

Pappy Jack looks to be in trouble. He can't stay healthy, missing time in pre-season and Summer League after finally recovering from his torn Achilles. But more importantly, the team has been bad when he has played, and he seems to be a leading reason for that. The defense falls off a cliff as soon as he steps on the court, which isn't terribly surprising, given that he's all of 5'10 with shoes on. But the offense does, too. Jackson's turnover ratio is twice that of either McConnell or Wilbekin, and even when he does manage to marshal the offense to a shot, they haven't been good ones. Jackson's true shooting percentage sits at a pathetic 25% through two games - not a good look for a player whose strength is supposed to be his shot making.

TJ McConnell has been the strongest of the three point guards this pre-season. He is the only one with a positive overall Net Rating, and the improved play is tangible when he steps on the court. He has a strong ability to involve his teammates, as demonstrated by his 39% assist rate through 4 games. He has also shown the best ability to play within Brett Brown's schemes, pushing the ball at every attempt, such that the Sixers achieve 110 possessions per 48 minutes while McConnell is on the court. Jackson and Wilbekin have done well, but not quite as well as McConnell.

McConnell has also been the best defender. He was an elite defender at Arizona, at that has continued as a strength in the NBA.

Wilbekin has been better than Jackson, but not as good as McConnell. He's not the same level passer that McConnell is, and it has been evident in their play thus far. Wilbekin's assist rate is less than half that of McConnell's. He's an okay defender, but not as good as McConnell. His biggest advantage lies in his shooting ability - 64.5% true shooting for the pre-season is very good. But Wilbekin's strengths aren't enough to overcome his overall okay-ness. He does many things decently but nothing well, and that won't be enough for this Sixers' team.

To me, the final roster spot comes down to Furkan Aldemir and TJ McConnell. Through six pre-season games, McConnell has won the point guard battle. The question for Hinkie (and Brown) is whether he's shown enough to displace Aldemir.
comments

Aldemir and TJ stay. Landry gets cut. I don’t buy the "he would have cut him by now" logic. Hinkie has said repeatedly he likes to wait until the last second to make decisions. It may be he really intended to keep Landry, but TJ’s play has forced his hand.

Teams with 4 injured players can have 16 players on the roster. Since Embiid, Wroten, Marshall and Landry will not start the season, we will probably apply for the exemption. Also, we need more than one point guard to start the season, so TJ must stay.

Agree that TJ makes the team. Not sure re: Aldemir
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

It would be so awesome if TJ can make the roster even if he's the last guy off the bench
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Luke Walton will be the head coach of the Warriors in the season opener.

Luke Walton - NBA Head Coach

Let that sink in for a second...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Someone just posted that TJ was cut by the Sixers and Nick Johnson signed.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:Someone just posted that TJ was cut by the Sixers and Nick Johnson signed.
Didn't see that, but did see this:
Also, Pierre Jackson was seen leaving their practice facility while practice was still going on. So that's probably one more slot available for TJ.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Wilbekin and Jackson cut. Looks like TJ is making the team. 76ers have to trim one more player, 2 if they claim Ish Smith.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier