Ira Lee DUI

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PHXCATS

Ira Lee DUI

Post by PHXCATS »

Come on dude, you got to be better than this. Terrible look for Lee, Miller and U of A.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
1560s Guy

Re: Ira Lee Super Extreme Underage DUI

Post by 1560s Guy »

Minimum 45 days in jail.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

What was the BAC?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

above .20

did we need a new thread on this?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Jefe wrote:above .20

No!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Go meet with Barnard and Nelson
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Sigh, well one less player on the roster. Ira Lee is an idiot. Every other student at the UA uses Uber or Lyft to go anywhere that's more than a 3 minute walk away.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Well there goes my Pollyanna wish for a season with no off the court drama.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Jefe wrote:above .20

you dont think this is a big deal? The guy could have killed people because of his stupidity. I wouldnt mind if he was dismissed from the team. But people deserve second chances so if he cleans his act up suspended for the OOC portion of the season is reasonable.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:Sigh, well one less player on the roster. Ira Lee is an idiot. Every other student at the UA uses Uber or Lyft to go anywhere that's more than a 3 minute walk away.
You honestly think he's gonna get kicked off the team for a misdemeanor DUI? I have no inside knowledge of team discipline, but he has not had any other issues and this at worst a misdemeanor.

I doubt anyone condones drunk driving, but on the scale of criminal issues...
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Sigh, well one less player on the roster. Ira Lee is an idiot. Every other student at the UA uses Uber or Lyft to go anywhere that's more than a 3 minute walk away.
You honestly think he's gonna get kicked off the team for a misdemeanor DUI? I have no inside knowledge of team discipline, but he has not had any other issues and this at worst a misdemeanor.

BAC of over 0.20 while under age is not a "misdemeanor". Wow, just wow at the other comments
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

BAC of over 0.20 while under age is not a "misdemeanor". Wow, just wow at the other comments
I do think Spiff is right in that it is treated as a misdemeanor. I agree with Hater on the stupidity on not calling an Uber or walking to the party. He will learn from it. Thank goodness no one was hurt as his future would have been ruined and someone could have been badly hurt.

The discipline needs to be tough and he needs to feel it. If it is a 45 day period in jail I have to wonder how he would keep his eligibility. With all the diversion classes he will have to take his discipline might just need to be a redshirt year (he can't get away fro it with a transfer)
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Yes it is.

https://www.azleg.gov/ars/28/01382.htm" target="_blank

Look at subsection J.
1560s Guy

Post by 1560s Guy »

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Yes it is.

https://www.azleg.gov/ars/28/01382.htm" target="_blank

Look at subsection J.
https://www.jacksonwhitelaw.com/crimina ... y-arizona/" target="_blank

Under certain circumstances, a DUI can be charged as a felony.

In Arizona, most DUI offenses are classified as misdemeanors. However, Extreme and Aggravated DUIs and are both felony offenses in Arizona.

Types of Felony DUIs & Penalties
Extreme DUI
A.R.S 28-1382 defines an extreme DUI as a person who drives or is in actual physical control of a vehicle within two hours of an alcohol concentration above 0.15 resulting from alcohol consumed either before or while driving or being in actual physical control of the vehicle.

Penalties for Extreme DUI
The penalties for a DUI conviction are greater than those for a typical misdemeanor DUI charge.

If the BAC is above 0.15 but below 0.20 then the person will:

Pay a minimum fine of $250
Be sentenced to a minimum thirty (30) consecutive days in jail and is not eligible for probation or suspension of execution of sentence unless the entire sentence is served
Pay additional $250 to the city or state treasurer (depending on where conviction took place) after the initial fine
Pay $1,000 to have inter-lock device installed in vehicle for one year
If the BAC is above 0.20 then the person faces:

A minimum fine of $500
A minimum forty-five (45) consecutive days in jail and is not eligible for probation or suspension of execution of sentence unless the entire sentence is served
An additional $250 to the city or state treasurer (depending on where conviction took place) after the initial fine.
$1,000 fee to have inter-lock device installed in vehicle for one year
Aggravated DUI
A.R.S 28-1383 explains that a misdemeanor or Extreme DUI can become an aggravated charge if:

A child under the age of 15 was present in the car at the time of the driver’s arrest
The defendant’s driver’s license was suspended or revoked at the time of arrest
The defendant was arrested after a judge required the defendant to use an ignition interlocking device
Two prior DUI-related offenses within 7 years
While there are other circumstances that could lead to a felony DUI charge, these are typically the most common factors that elevate the DUI penalties.

Penalties for Aggravated DUI
Depending on each situation, a person can potentially face multiple penalties including:

Being sentenced to a minimum 8 months in jail and not eligible for probation or suspension of execution of sentence unless the entire sentence is served
Attending and completing alcohol or other drug screening, education or treatment from an approved facility. Additional incarceration is faced if failed to complete
One year license suspension
Minimum two (2) years with a certified inter-lock device installed in vehicle
Paying an initial fine of $250
Paying a minimum fine of $750
Paying additional $1,500 to the county, city, or state treasurer (depending on where conviction took place) after the initial fine
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

It's a misdemeanor. Felony requires DUI on a suspended license, repeat DUI, or child (under 15) in the car.

Moving on.

45 consecutive days in jail. Not sure how he'll complete that without failing or dropping all of his classes and blowing his eligibility. Wonder if the court would allow him to postpone the jail sentence until next summer.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS, you're not correct. Here is the Agg DUI statute.

https://www.azleg.gov/ars/28/01383.htm" target="_blank

28-1383(A)(1-5) outline the five circumstances that make a DUI a felony. Unless it was not mentioned, Ira meets none of them. Purely being above a .20 just puts you under 28-1382(A)(2), which is a misdemeanor.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:PHXCATS, you're not correct. Here is the Agg DUI statute.

https://www.azleg.gov/ars/28/01383.htm" target="_blank

28-1383(A)(1-5) outline the five circumstances that make a DUI a felony. Unless it was not mentioned, Ira meets none of them. Purely being above a .20 just puts you under 28-1382(A)(2), which is a misdemeanor.
We can just move on as other things say it is a felony.

But there is absolutely no justification for him being in the car with his BAC that high and there is no room to justify it or say it is not a big deal
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

For it to be a felony it has to be aggravated I think. What Spiff shows is the correct law IMO. Unfortunately I know several "friends" that have received extreme DUI' s and only one, who was driving with children (it was not extreme) received a felony aggravated DUI.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Looks like P.J. Tucker got a Super Extreme DUI (same as Lee, though Lee is underage) while playing for the Suns... three days in jail, three game suspension. Suns GM Steve Keim plead to a damn near Super Extreme (0.193) and got two days plus a five week suspension from the Suns.

Seems the 45 days isn't always applied.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Looks like P.J. Tucker got a Super Extreme DUI (same as Lee, though Lee is underage) while playing for the Suns... three days in jail, three game suspension. Suns GM Steve Keim plead to a damn near Super Extreme (0.193) and got two days plus a five week suspension from the Suns.

Seems the 45 days isn't always applied.
People can plead down. I do not defend DUI, period. That said, this is early in a complex process.

I won't be surprised if Ira is punished internally as well as in court. That said, I'd be surprised if he was dismissed from the team. We'll have to see.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Fourth game of the season is in Maui. Wondering if Lee is suspended for the three exhibition game and the first three games of the season - essentially a one month suspension from play.

Would be a longer suspension that typically seen for a college athlete's DUI, first offense. A week looks to be typical. The extreme nature should add to the term of the punishment.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The glee with which some people run over here with bad news is practically palpable. I did like the “terrible look for Miller” part. Was Sean feeding him Fireball shots?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:The glee with which some people run over here with bad news is practically palpable. I did like the “terrible look for Miller” part. Was Sean feeding him Fireball shots?
No kidding.

There's no excuse for drinking as much as he did and driving regardless of the fact he recently lost his grandmother, but thank God he didn't hurt himself or anybody else. He'll be punished accordingly, but he's certainly not going to be kicked off the team. This does mean playing time for Omar for sure now.

On a side note is it really 45 days? I have a lawyer friend in Pima county who told me 10 days, with 2 being in jail and the other 8 wearing a boot. Can anybody clarify?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:The glee with which some people run over here with bad news is practically palpable. I did like the “terrible look for Miller” part. Was Sean feeding him Fireball shots?
No kidding.

There's no excuse for drinking as much as he did and driving regardless of the fact he recently lost his grandmother, but thank God he didn't hurt himself or anybody else. He'll be punished accordingly, but he's certainly not going to be kicked off the team. This does mean playing time for Omar for sure now.

On a side note is it really 45 days? I have a lawyer friend in Pima county who told me 10 days, with 2 being in jail and the other 8 wearing a boot. Can anybody clarify?
Take a look at the two links I posted above. Each statute lays out penalties, which for a first time offender are graduated by BAC.

Edit: What do lawyers use as contraceptives? Their personalities.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
No kidding.

Take a look at the two links I posted above. Each statute lays out penalties, which for a first time offender are graduated by BAC.

From what I understand pretty much if you have a lawyer what I posted is the standard in regards to how much prison time you will do with plea bargaining and such.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
No kidding.

From what I understand pretty much if you have a lawyer what I posted is the standard in regards to how much prison time you will do with plea bargaining and such.
Yeah, the statute(s) just lays out minimums if convicted of particular charges. Whether someone pleads to a lesser offense, etc, that's not going to get defined by a rule.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Not a great look for a program trying to repair its national image. Is what it is but Ira should be suspended at least the entire non-conference season and my gut tells me he serves a couple days in Jail for sure. I have no respect for people who drive drunk. Lost a fraternity pledge brother from a drunk driving accident while at U of A.

As someone said above, why even drive drunk anymore. Uber and Lyft make it so easy
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Why not use Uber and Lift when you are drunk?

Maybe because people make really bad decisions when they are drunk?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:Why not use Uber and Lift when you are drunk?

Maybe because people make really bad decisions when they are drunk?
Especially when their BAC is over .2.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Hears he had lost his grandma a few days earlier. Not an excuse but might explain the situation some.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Lee went the wrong way going 30 over the speed limit and just missed hitting another car. This is a huge deal, have to come down hard on him for his sake and the national image and doing the right thing.
Last edited by PHXCATS on Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The “national image”?? :lol:

What’s your suggestion for coming down hard on him Machina?

30 lashes?

Public castration?

Making him read your posts?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

He will take a plea deal for a misdemeanor DUI with BAC above 0.08%, not the over 0.20%. Will get 10 days jail, 8 of those suspended provided he completes some sort of treatment program and abides by other court orders/probation.

Would be nice to have a season without some form of preseason drama though. :lol: No excuse for DUI, get an Uber.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I would like to know where his teammates were? At that level of intoxication someone should have thrown away his keys. If he was alone drinking because of Grandma then he needs some help.

The courts will punish him hard enough. That along with the public embarrassment and missing the Maui Classic is enough for me. He will be far behind by that time and his minutes will be impacted until conference play
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

azcat49 wrote:Hears he had lost his grandma a few days earlier. Not an excuse but might explain the situation some.
Was he close to her.. yeah, might explain his behavior.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

If he killed or hurt someone, would our feelings be different on this? He was super close to doing so. I think it would be weak of Miller and Heeke if Lee plays before conference play
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

HiCat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Hears he had lost his grandma a few days earlier. Not an excuse but might explain the situation some.
Even though it is illegal no one is blaming him for drinking. People are rightfully super disappointed in him and his decision making for driving drunk and almost hurting innocent people.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:Lee went the wrong way going 30 over the speed limit and just missed hitting another car. This is a huge deal, have to come down hard on him for his sake and the national image and doing the right thing.
A misdemeanor DUI does not register on the national image.

I just finished watching Last Chance U. Dude got kicked off Georgia's football team after three misdemeanors, all marijuana possession, in his freshman year. It did not register nationally, and that should tell you how many nonviolent misdemeanors it truly takes.

Again, I don't defend drinking and driving in any way. It is stupid and can kill people. The tar and feather him posts are just bugging me a bit. Just because he got arrested for something bad doesn't mean all perspective has to go out the window.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Lee went the wrong way going 30 over the speed limit and just missed hitting another car. This is a huge deal, have to come down hard on him for his sake and the national image and doing the right thing.
A misdemeanor DUI does not register on the national image.

I just finished watching Last Chance U. Dude got kicked off Georgia's football team after three misdemeanors, all marijuana possession, in his freshman year. It did not register nationally, and that should tell you how many nonviolent misdemeanors it truly takes.

Again, I don't defend drinking and driving in any way. It is stupid and can kill people. The tar and feather him posts are just bugging me a bit. Just because he got arrested for something bad doesn't mean all perspective has to go out the window.
All perspective? He came inches away from hurting someone and you are acting like it isnt a big deal. And Miller and Arizona are under a huge microscope. You may think this is no big deal nationally but it certainly is with all the other stuff going on right now with the program.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

A non conference suspension? That is way over the top. Maybe we should just boo him loudly like we do Scott for a month. 3 or 4 games is enough
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote:A non conference suspension? That is way over the top. Maybe we should just boo him loudly like we do Scott for a month. 3 or 4 games is enough
If he killed someone, which he was close do doing, would non conference be acceptable then?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
azcat49 wrote:A non conference suspension? That is way over the top. Maybe we should just boo him loudly like we do Scott for a month. 3 or 4 games is enough
If he killed someone, which he was close do doing, would non conference be acceptable then?
Can you link those details? I cannot find an article referring to anything besides DUI and failure to yield at an intersection.

There is no reckless driving citation I can find referenced.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Can you link those details? I cannot find an article referring to anything besides DUI and failure to yield at an intersection.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

The 6-foot-8-inch, 230-pound Lee had previously told police he had consumed one beer.

And why cops never believe anyone.

Unless of course he had 5 shots of vodka before the beer.

HiCat wrote:
I think so, but no excuse as we all know. People lose parents and grandparents every day and don't get extreme DUIs.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Ok, the car was driving over 30 MPH, not over 30 MPH over the speed limit. That is a very big difference, 33 MPH vs 55-65 MPH.

The failure to yield is that he either ran a red or didn't stop and the car making a left had to jam on the brakes. The wrong way...my thoughts on whether that's sensational depend on the actual report. If he just crossed the center line on a 2 lane street, that is not nearly as bad as the article makes it sounds. If it was a divided street, it is bad.

Looking on Google, Warren is just an undivided side street by Arizona Stadium.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Merkin wrote: The 6-foot-8-inch, 230-pound Lee had previously told police he had consumed one beer.

And why cops never believe anyone.

Unless of course he had 5 shots of vodka before the beer.

HiCat wrote:
I think so, but no excuse as we all know. People lose parents and grandparents every day and don't get extreme DUIs.

Great research Merk. This will be very useful later after the dust settles.

Wonder if Ira has an attorney.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Ok, the car was driving over 30 MPH, not over 30 MPH over the speed limit. That is a very big difference, 33 MPH vs 55-65 MPH.

The failure to yield is that he either ran a red or didn't stop and the car making a left had to jam on the brakes. The wrong way...my thoughts on whether that's sensational depend on the actual report. If he just crossed the center line on a 2 lane street, that is not nearly as bad as the article makes it sounds. If it was a divided street, it is bad.

Looking on Google, Warren is just an undivided side street by Arizona Stadium.
I read it wrong initially, I thought it said 30 MPH over.

But yeah no big deal that he had a 0.21 BAC and drove because Warren is an undivided side street or crossed the center line. My goodness he drove drunk and could have killed people. that is a huge deal. If this was a UCLA player and he killed someone I am sure your story would be different
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

You generally punish people for the things they actually did, not things that they could have potentially done.

Ira is certainly lucky no-one was hurt. Hopefully this will be a big life and learning lesson for him.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Alieberman wrote:You generally punish people for the things they actually did, not things that they could have potentially done.
Ok, so punish him for driving drunk and putting tons of lives in danger