Nico Mannion

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: Nico Mannion

Post by Beachcat97 »

Longhorned wrote: I seriously doubt Sean Miller urged Nico to limit college to a year. He just had to accept it as a precondition he'd have never agreed with.
I think this is right. It was mutually understood when Nico committed that he'd be OAD. Say what you will about that strategy, but it's what Nico and his people decided to roll with. Sean has had no illusions about this. He said publicly during the season that Nico was OAD.

I wonder if Sean exercises greater caution with these "preconditions" going forward. It's one thing if it's Ayton. The only thing that could've kept Ayton from dominating from day one was an injury or an eligibility issue, both of which he was fortunately able to avoid. There's more risk with a player who doesn't really dominate physically. Nico has talent, but he's not a guy who can impose his will on a game. Not like Ayton. I guess with the best of the best 5-stars (Ayton, Zion, Bagley, Lonzo, Okafor), if one of these guys wants to come to AZ, Sean would have to consider it. These guys can single-handedly elevate a team's prospects, even in one season. But these guys are rare. Some years there aren't any. Nico and Josh are not in that group. Zeke is closer, but as good as he was this past season, was he Ayton-good? No way.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Another issue is that guys want to start their nba clock as soon ASAP.
Of course these guys are sure they will stick in the league.
But you start getting the better contracts after 3-4 years so they see the need to get to nba sooner thinking they will get to the higher contract at a younger age.
We know how that works out for most.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

the way the NBA is set up, starting the clock early is a great idea for every top 10 and maybe even top 15 pick - it’s impossible to argue against.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

This is also what happens when you have to make such a life altering decision at around 18. We have experience to tell us he should probably stay, but Nico probably thinks he's different from others and he'll be the one to make it big.

I hope he proves me wrong, but I just don't see him having a very successful and long lasting NBA career.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Just start making a list of guys who are already in the NBA, or will soon be, who you expect to be better than Nico three years from now, provided they’re healthy. List gets pretty long, pretty quickly. He’s a backup PG at best. Imagine him trying to guard CP3, Westbrook, Steph, Lillard, Kyrie, Wall, Kemba...no chance.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

So, is there any evidence that any top schools backed off his recruitment because of his unwavering commitment to OAD?

I guess another way of framing this would be: Was his freshman year performance a shock to everyone? Or had doubts been expressed by others in advance?
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

pc in NM wrote:So, is there any evidence that any top schools backed off his recruitment because of his unwavering commitment to OAD?

I guess another way of framing this would be: Was his freshman year performance a shock to everyone? Or had doubts been expressed by others in advance?
He had offers from Duke and Villanova.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote:Just start making a list of guys who are already in the NBA, or will soon be, who you expect to be better than Nico three years from now, provided they’re healthy. List gets pretty long, pretty quickly. He’s a backup PG at best. Imagine him trying to guard CP3, Westbrook, Steph, Lillard, Kyrie, Wall, Kemba...no chance.

I'd like to see TJ and Nico go one on one since they have similar builds (e.g. alligator arms). Nico may be slightly more athletic with better hops and a quicker first step, but TJ is smarter, tons more experience, a much better defender and is in better shape.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

pc in NM wrote:So, is there any evidence that any top schools backed off his recruitment because of his unwavering commitment to OAD?

That's a great question so I'm going to do that annoying thing where I don't know and will respond to a different question than you're asking, and with the knowledge coming only from watching recruiting and picking up cues from people on message boards who have insider knowledge.

Programs back off recruits for multiple reasons. Evaluations for individual players are all over the map for individual players because it's an art that nobody is truly good at, though some are better than others. Sometimes consistency coheres around individual players because they're Moses Malone, Darryl Dawkins, Jason Kidd, Kobe, Lebron, etc. And sometimes evaluation can be corrupted: Scouts you've never heard of and who have never even played the game only make so much money over the table, but their star rankings carry enormous impacts in positioning players surrounded by parties interested in young men potentially on their way toward making shoe money and stuffing agents' pockets. Not knowing anything, but remembering how it was common knowledge Nico was OAD, I'd guess that limited his value.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Beachcat97 wrote:

He had offers from Duke and Villanova.
An "offer" isn't an offer in the sense of an offer of a scholarship in exchange for playing basketball. It's more like a miniature Valentines Day card, which carries no extension of interest, but allows children to show that their baskets are filled with more cards than your basket is. Every once in while, a misguided player actually accepts an offer, which shocks the offering party and results in embarrassing and difficult behind-the-scenes conversations, and also 1) ironing out of the confusion on the part of the real recruits slotted for a given role now accepted by somebody who said "yes" to an "offer", and 2) the accepting player backing out and attending college elsewhere.
eoe

Post by eoe »

Merkin wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Just start making a list of guys who are already in the NBA, or will soon be, who you expect to be better than Nico three years from now, provided they’re healthy. List gets pretty long, pretty quickly. He’s a backup PG at best. Imagine him trying to guard CP3, Westbrook, Steph, Lillard, Kyrie, Wall, Kemba...no chance.

I'd like to see TJ and Nico go one on one since they have similar builds (e.g. alligator arms). Nico may be slightly more athletic with better hops and a quicker first step, but TJ is smarter, tons more experience, a much better defender and is in better shape.

And 9 fucking years older than Nico :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My lord at these terrible takes. Comparing Mannion as a college freshman to seasoned and experienced NBA veterans. Kemba Walker wasn't the same player as a freshman at UConn as he is now, not sure why that has to be said out loud....but it does :lol: :lol:

No one expects anyone outside the top 3-4 guys to come in and dominate. The goal is to end up in a backup role learning to mesh and play at a high level, so that by year 3 you can prove your worth and potential before going into your first long-term contract deal

All team Pac-12 player as a freshman, 14 ppg/5 apg (#1 among all freshman playing high major )
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

eoe wrote:
Merkin wrote:

My lord at these terrible takes. Comparing Mannion as a college freshman to seasoned and experienced NBA veterans. Kemba Walker wasn't the same player as a freshman at UConn as he is now, not sure why that has to be said out loud....but it does :lol: :lol:

No one expects anyone outside the top 3-4 guys to come in and dominate. The goal is to end up in a backup role learning to mesh and play at a high level, so that by year 3 you can prove your worth and potential before going into your first long-term contract deal

All team Pac-12 player as a freshman, 14 ppg/5 apg (#1 among all freshman playing high major )
Any pre-committed OAD like Mannion is NOT a college "freshman" anymore! They ALL would be pros if the NBA allowed!!!

Now, really exceptionally-performing college freshman who become OAD's are another story!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
97cats

Post by 97cats »

isnt comparing Mannion to other freshman mentioned at the same time they were freshman whats going on here????

im confused...
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

eoe wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Has that goal worked out for any PG's who left early and were not ready for the NBA and were selected in 20 - 50 range in the draft? I can not think of one, that is the point people are making. Coming back seems like it would have been the smart choice, but it is what it is at this point. Sean calling him out all season as a OAD didn't really help his need to be stubborn and leave before he was ready. The silver lining is that if the NBA does not work out he is more prepared for a Euro career than a lot of other guys. I am sure a small part of that played in to his decision to leave before he was ready.
eoe

Post by eoe »

pc in NM wrote: Any pre-committed OAD like Mannion is NOT a college "freshman" anymore! They ALL would be pros if the NBA allowed!!!

Now, really exceptionally-performing college freshman who become OAD's are another story!!
My recommendation - pull up 2019's draft class, count for me how many FIRST rounders:
1. Started for their team
2. Averaged more than 6-7 PPG
3. Played in more than half of their teams games

And that draft class is significantly better than this year's.

It's very obvious who watches the NBA and who doesn't
Last edited by eoe on Fri May 01, 2020 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Are we still allowed to call him the Ginga Ninja?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
eoe

Post by eoe »

UAEebs86 wrote:Are we still allowed to call him the Ginga Ninja?
You must - tis mandatory :twisted:
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

eoe wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Were you thinking Nico would be asked to use a time machine to travel back and guard Kemba as a freshman at UConn? The age difference doesn't matter because they'll both be in the same league, playing at the same level.

How likely is it that Nico would actually guard Kemba next year? Not very. But Nico remains projected by some as a lotto pick. Lotto picks are often expected to contribute from day one.

And let's just say it's three years from now. That's a long way's off, but I still wonder how many top flight PGs Nico would be ready to guard by that point. Guess we'll see.
eoe

Post by eoe »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Were you thinking Nico would be asked to use a time machine to travel back and guard Kemba as a freshman at UConn? The age difference doesn't matter because they'll both be in the same league, playing at the same level.

How likely is it that Nico would actually guard Kemba next year? Not very. But Nico remains projected by some as a lotto pick. Lotto picks are often expected to contribute from day one.

And let's just say it's three years from now. That's a long way's off, but I still wonder how many top flight PGs Nico would be ready to guard by that point. Guess we'll see.
Were you thinking Nico's success would be measured by how well he can guard All-Star NBA players as a rookie? That's my point exactly. Nico doesn't have to outclass those guys ahead of him to earn a nice contract, he needs to be better than the players in his draft class and the ones that come after him because that's who he'll be competing with for time and opportunities to grow. You're looking at it completely wrong.
prh

Post by prh »

Here's my burning question: the scouting and reports around him called to mind Lonzo and Jason Kidd. Was there a drastic mis-evaluation, or was there something about him that just didn't live up to it and translate from high school?

As has been mentioned, the Illinois game seemed to be a harbinger of those great things, but then he regressed. Maybe some disinterest, especially later in the season? Big struggles in big games (Baylor, Gonzaga). The end of Oregon #2. The terrible shot selection throughout the year. Just so many things.

And a note, I do not at all mean this as a slight at those here who brought insight before he arrived (especially 97). I appreciate the hell out of all insight from everyone, and I think we could all see flashes of that potential at various times. He just seemed so puzzling at times.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Jason Kidd still might be the greatest high school player ive ever seen in person.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

He will be fighting for those minutes and contracts as a backup PG with guys like TJ McConnell. How long do guys who are unable to contribute stay in the League? How many get that second contract? I highly doubt he is going to be a high pick so wherever he ends up, that team will have very little investment in him and those veteran guards aren't going to be taking him under their wing. They are looking out for their own pockets. The NBA is a business that will chew up and spit out any one who is not prepared for the rigors that come with it. This guys leaving before their ready thing is a new phenomenon and we do not know the real effects to date. I am curious to see how people like Kobi Simmons, Jaylen Hands, Nico, Frank Jackson and the like last.
eoe

Post by eoe »

prh wrote:Here's my burning question: the scouting and reports around him called to mind Lonzo and Jason Kidd. Was there a drastic mis-evaluation, or was there something about him that just didn't live up to it and translate from high school?

As has been mentioned, the Illinois game seemed to be a harbinger of those great things, but then he regressed. Maybe some disinterest, especially later in the season? Big struggles in big games (Baylor, Gonzaga). The end of Oregon #2. The terrible shot selection throughout the year. Just so many things.

And a note, I do not at all mean this as a slight at those here who brought insight before he arrived (especially 97). I appreciate the hell out of all insight from everyone, and I think we could all see flashes of that potential at various times. He just seemed so puzzling at times.
Idk if this was widely reported, but he did have recurring lower back spasms and pains that left some tenderness. Eased up later on in the season, but he was definitely playing through injury for a good period of time
97cats

Post by 97cats »

so its a durability issue, i can buy that...even more reason to stay an additional summer and full season, mature and learn how to navigate the grind (albeit on a smaller scale) and supports a big part of my original opinion - his strength and fitness isnt at an NBA level, hell it wasnt even at a division 1 power 6 collegian level.

Nov 6, 2019 thru March 12, 2020 Mannion played 32 forty minute games for Arizona.

during that same period the New York Knicks played 59 forty-eight minute games.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote:Jason Kidd still might be the greatest high school player ive ever seen in person.
Elton Brand for me.

He DESTROYED my high school basketball team. Like, it could have been all of us vs. just him and he would have won by 15.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The best high school basketball player I've ever seen in person was Kevin Minnifield. There are so few future D1 (let alone NBA) players in high school that most high school students never even see one play.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

For me, it was Julie Brase. Seeing how she performed in college was eye opening. She was absolutely dominant in high school.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

For me it was Mike Bibby. Watched the championship game at America West Arena when Shadow Mountain won it all.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Channing Frye for me. He was a man among boys in my team's region. Lawrence Hill was a close second a few years later. Nobody else needed to even score on the nights I saw them.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Fat Lever was the best player from Tucson in my era. He was pretty much unstoppable in HS
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Jackie Moon
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

84Cat wrote:Fat Lever was the best player from Tucson in my era. He was pretty much unstoppable in HS
He was one of our coaches at basketball camp in Coolidge. An earnest and kind grown man, like an unfunny Steven Colbert. Hard to believe he was just a college kid at the time.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Got the LeBron treatment during camp in HS and Travis Walton (Michigan State; 2 FFs) on the road against Lima Senior amongst many others. Mainly played against dudes who went to Ohio State. Also saw Bron win state as a Junior.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

And another mock NBA draft has Nico falling out of the 1st round......Nnaji too.

https://247sports.com/college/arizona/A ... 146718639/" target="_blank
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I'm glad we're not going after any OAD this year, because this draft is probably going to be pretty embarrassing for us.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

dmjcat wrote:And another mock NBA draft has Nico falling out of the 1st round......Nnaji too.

https://247sports.com/college/arizona/A ... 146718639/" target="_blank
Zeke is the best prospect of the three.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

TucsonClip wrote:Got the LeBron treatment during camp in HS and Travis Walton (Michigan State; 2 FFs) on the road against Lima Senior amongst many others. Mainly played against dudes who went to Ohio State. Also saw Bron win state as a Junior.

Year after i graduated i went to see my high school squad (small school in Nothern panhandle of WV) play in a tourney in Ohio. After our team played we were getting ready to leave and the place had racks of ppl flooding in. Kid a row down said “where are u going u won’t get ur seat back if u go get food now” , i said i was leaving he said you know the best HS b-ball player in the country is playing next and he’s only a sophomore ..... me and my buddy sat back down and needless to say Lebron is the best player in HS i ever saw as well. He did the between the legs, caught two off the board on breaks , and had 11!!!! Steals in a hs game along w a quad double in a game where his team scored like 70 points. It was the most ridiculous thing i have ever seen in a HS gym.

I knew that night that this dude was going down as one of the top 5-10 basketball players to ever live.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Just to add to that story , i had been to a few nba games so i understood the speed and incredible abilities of pros live at that time, and i can say without any exaggeration that Lebron could’ve at least come off the bench in the nba as a sophomore in HS and average at least 5-8ppg, he was that grown at 16 yrs old.

He had no polish to his O game, no real moves or anything so once teams had a scouting report on him he would basically be a non-factor in the half court obviously but he was as fast and athletic as any NBA SF at that time and almost as big.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

One more thing lol, the second thing that jumped out (besides his obvious size and strength and athletic ability for a 16 yr old), was his hoop iq was incredible already. It was half the reason he had so many steals, you could see him seeing plays develop before they happened, his rotations on D (when he felt like it) were like a seasoned vet as well. This anticipatory innate hoop iq allowed most of his i believe 12 assists to be of the highlight variety as well.

Sorry for all the posts but when i think back to how much my mind was blown by a high school sophomore at that time (winter 2000-01 i believe) i still shake my head.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

PennZona20 wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:Got the LeBron treatment during camp in HS and Travis Walton (Michigan State; 2 FFs) on the road against Lima Senior amongst many others. Mainly played against dudes who went to Ohio State. Also saw Bron win state as a Junior.

Year after i graduated i went to see my high school squad (small school in Nothern panhandle of WV) play in a tourney in Ohio. After our team played we were getting ready to leave and the place had racks of ppl flooding in. Kid a row down said “where are u going u won’t get ur seat back if u go get food now” , i said i was leaving he said you know the best HS b-ball player in the country is playing next and he’s only a sophomore ..... me and my buddy sat back down and needless to say Lebron is the best player in HS i ever saw as well. He did the between the legs, caught two off the board on breaks , and had 11!!!! Steals in a hs game along w a quad double in a game where his team scored like 70 points. It was the most ridiculous thing i have ever seen in a HS gym.

I knew that night that this dude was going down as one of the top 5-10 basketball players to ever live.
I remember them moving a few of SVSM games, especially regionals to larger sites in order to meet the ticket demands. Believe a few games were move to Akrons arena and definitely regionals were moved to Toledo's to accommodate.

Dude was on an entirely different level in HS, not to mention he played with dudes like Romeo Travis, Drew Joyce III, Sian Cotton.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Ya 99% sure the mini tourney series was in Akron that night actually. Not even sure how our team got into it lol. We got crushed and the year before we didn’t play on any Ohio tournies so not even sure why we were there. I just remembered a few of the guys who graduated year before were home on Xmas or thanksgiving break from college and we decided to go for something to do since we were close w some of the kids the next class down. Turned out to be a great decision despite fact my alma mater was run out the gym lol.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I’ve only seen LeBron in the NBA and all I can say to all humans past and future is: I’m sorry for you but at least I was there.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Greg Goorjian - in 1978 he averaged 43 points a game for Crescenta Valley in SoCal. Notable because virtually all of his buckets were from the outside and there was no 3-point shot at that time.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

ASUCatFan wrote:For me, it was Julie Brase. Seeing how she performed in college was eye opening. She was absolutely dominant in high school.
The only state basketball championship Foothills is ever going to win.
VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

ASUCatFan wrote:For me, it was Julie Brase. Seeing how she performed in college was eye opening. She was absolutely dominant in high school.
If you want to talk female basketball players, Paula Pyers was far and away the best player I saw. I didn’t see Julie Braase though so can’t compare.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

catgrad97 wrote:Channing Frye for me. He was a man among boys in my team's region. Lawrence Hill was a close second a few years later. Nobody else needed to even score on the nights I saw them.
Harper Kamp dominated Lawrence Hill so did Lee Cummard. Lawrence Hill was a better college player that high school imo. He was over shadowed by Joey Shaw and Christian Polk.

Harper Kamp, Mickey McConnell, and Jerryd Bayless dominated in Az my high school years. Harper won 3 straight state titles. Bayless had 3 final 4s and two runner ups. McConnell made 2 final 4s and was WCC player of the hear his sr season of college and made an epic sweet 16 run hitting the go ahead 3 to upset number 1 seed Villanova his jr year. Those three were the most dominant I saw and played against.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Lando05 wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:Channing Frye for me. He was a man among boys in my team's region. Lawrence Hill was a close second a few years later. Nobody else needed to even score on the nights I saw them.
Harper Kamp dominated Lawrence Hill so did Lee Cummard. Lawrence Hill was a better college player that high school imo. He was over shadowed by Joey Shaw and Christian Polk.

Harper Kamp, Mickey McConnell, and Jerryd Bayless dominated in Az my high school years. Harper won 3 straight state titles. Bayless had 3 final 4s and two runner ups. McConnell made 2 final 4s and was WCC player of the hear his sr season of college and made an epic sweet 16 run hitting the go ahead 3 to upset number 1 seed Villanova his jr year. Those three were the most dominant I saw and played against.
Ah Lee Cummard. I was a senior at Mesa HS the year that Cummard led us to the state title against Desert Vista. He did end up being a starter at BYU in like 2008 and theres been a lot of better players but that year at Mesa he was darn near unstoppable.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

VegasCatFan wrote:
If you want to talk female basketball players, Paula Pyers was far and away the best player I saw. I didn’t see Julie Braase though so can’t compare.
Kayla Penderson from Red Mountain high school just destroyed the competition. Dominated.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Shouldn't this thread be moved to the G-League Forum? I'm ready to move on...

...just saying
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

MountainCat wrote:Shouldn't this thread be moved to the G-League Forum? I'm ready to move on...

...just saying
Thank you! Please let this thread die. Personally I couldn't care less what happens to him. Huge disappointment.