Dear AZ Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PieceOfMeat

Dear AZ Basketball

Post by PieceOfMeat »

I think we need to take a break.

It's not you, it's me.

But really it's you.

Too much ineptitude gives me a headache, and oh have you given me a hell of a migraine lately.

I don't care whose fault it is. It doesn't really matter anyway.

I'll never forget some of the moments we shared over the years.

Maybe some day we can rekindle the flame, but for now, I think we need to take a break.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ASUHATER!

Re: Dear AZ Basketball

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah I'm pretty much out for the time being. Too much stress. I'm glad football season is over and I know I won't be having an NCAA tournament to worry about so over the next 6 months I can casually pay attention to baseball and softball and other than that not really think about sports.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I fear these message boards are in serious danger of dying out.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Are you trying to draw Machina into getting banned PoM? :D

I was telling my wife last weekend how relieved I was to not have a game last weekend to watch.

But will be watching tonight.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Arizona atheltics... See ya later
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Alieberman wrote:I fear these message boards are in serious danger of dying out.
There's more posting on the non sports boards I think. We'll just be a general community forum with a slight sports twist.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I feel like I need to move on as well. I have work and a family.

It sort of makes me feel foolish that I've spent time and emotion to have this be the upshot of it.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I feel like I need to move on as well. I have work and a family.

It sort of makes me feel foolish that I've spent time and emotion to have this be the upshot of it.
That was my thought last night as well...time to grow up and put my Arizona fandom lovelingly on the shelf.

Good memories, contributed to who I am, but life’s different now that I was 10-15 years ago.
sirhamsalot

Post by sirhamsalot »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I feel like I need to move on as well. I have work and a family.

Unfortunately, I feel the same way. This is the 3rd time in 18 months that I have come into the office and done absolutely nothing besides read message boards and twitter looking for any piece of info I can find. It feels like another punch to the gut, and I feel quite stupid standing back up and asking for another.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:I think we need to take a break.

It's not you, it's me.

But really it's you.

Too much ineptitude gives me a headache, and oh have you given me a hell of a migraine lately.

I don't care whose fault it is. It doesn't really matter anyway.

I'll never forget some of the moments we shared over the years.

Maybe some day we can rekindle the flame, but for now, I think we need to take a break.
I work better in Gifs

2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Having two young boys helps, plus I coach a basketball team which fills in the void. I can actually yell at a ref for real, rather than on TV.

So have a couple of boys, and coach basketball is what I'm saying.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

It's the freaking NBA trade deadline and all I can focus on is the death of Arizona basketba, for the second straight season.

-Shane Battier
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I’m with you odogg, except I have two girls and coach youth soccer and it’s the best.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

CalStateTempe wrote:

That was my thought last night as well...time to grow up and put my Arizona fandom lovelingly on the shelf.

Good memories, contributed to who I am, but life’s different now that I was 10-15 years ago.
I have been thinking about this for a while. I care so much about the University of Arizona. I care about the Business School, the Entrepreneurship program, my old fraternity house, the basketball program, etc. I fucking hate the sport of football but still was pissed off we lost to ASU in football this year. I love it so much that it can be painful for me to watch big basketball games. The anger I had watching us play like shit against USC in that first half was crazy. But I am almost 40. My daughter is closer to being in college then I am. I rarely get back to Tucson anymore. Caring about it seems immature.

But I do respect the hell out of the fans on this site. I candidly really would love to meet all of you in person. While we can disagree on sports and politics its clear to me the things I loved about the University of Arizona is something we share. And the thing I loved most about U of A was it is not a school with fake fans like USC. It is not some Ivy League type school like Stanford or Harvard. It is not a commuter school like ASU. It is not that woke up one day and got lucky school like Oregon. It to me is a real school. Nothing fake about it. Nothing fake about Tucson. Sure I met some douchebags in school and some idiots but they mostly got flushed out. The people I graduated with are some of the best people I ever met and still lifelong friends. Meeting 97cats last week reaffirmed what I love about this site and the U of A. I know there are people on this site who have hated me and vice versa but I think that is more due to how hard it can be to communicate via written word only. I have a feeling if we discussed the year 2005 together, we would have an instant bond that is far bigger then any opinions we differ on.

Whats funny is I think I am more sad that candidly I am not more sad about all this with Miller. I candidly just want a break from all this drama. It does not seem worth it to me. College athletics just seems like endless drama over the stupidest things due to the NCAA.
Last edited by Newportcat on Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Told the wife last night it’s time for a break from AZ hoops. Feels like I’m holding out hope each year for a satisfaction that reliably does not arrive. It’s unhealthy to keep investing and investing. I wanted big things for Sean Miller and still don’t think he’s the problem. I just need to leave him behind for now, for my own sanity.

Bear down for life.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Newportcat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

I have been thinking about this for a while. I care so much about the University of Arizona. I care about the Business School, the Entrepreneurship program, my old fraternity house, the basketball program, etc. I fucking hate the sport of football but still was pissed off we lost to ASU in football this year. I love it so much that it can be painful for me to watch big basketball games. The anger I had watching us play like shit against USC in that first half was crazy. But I am almost 40. My daughter is closer to being in college then I am. I rarely get back to Tucson anymore. Caring about it seems immature.

But I do respect the hell out of the fans on this site. I candidly really would love to meet all of you in person. While we can disagree on sports and politics its clear to me the things I loved about the University of Arizona is something we share. And the thing I loved most about U of A was it is not a school with fake fans like USC. It is not some Ivy League type school like Stanford or Harvard. It is not a commuter school like ASU. It is not that woke up one day and got lucky school like Oregon. It to me is a real school. Nothing fake about it. Nothing fake about Tucson. Sure I met some douchebags in school and some idiots but they mostly got flushed out. The people I graduated with are some of the best people I ever met and still lifelong friends. Meeting 97cats last week reaffirmed what I love about this site and the U of A. I know there are people on this site who have hated me and vice versa but I think that is more due to how hard it can be to communicate via written word only. I have a feeling if we discussed the year 2005 together, we would have an instant bond that is far bigger then any opinions we differ on.

Whats funny is I think I am more sad that candidly I am not more sad about all this with Miller. I candidly just want a break from all this drama. It does not seem worth it to me. College athletics just seems like endless drama over the stupidest things due to the NCAA.
It all comes back to how stupid the NCAA is.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Olsondogg wrote:Having two young boys helps, plus I coach a basketball team which fills in the void. I can actually yell at a ref for real, rather than on TV.

Do you have any west coast recruiting ties?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

azgreg wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Having two young boys helps, plus I coach a basketball team which fills in the void. I can actually yell at a ref for real, rather than on TV.

Do you have any west coast recruiting ties?
haha.

Wife is an NCAA athlete at an SEC school and she is a tall drink of water. Maybe my boys grow like trees cause you can't teach height.

I also have some family friends who's son is currently on the Knicks...

But no recruiting ties as of yet because both boys are still really young...but hit me up in 10 or so years. LOL
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

But don't think twice, it's alright.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

UA ticket office is calling me. LMFAO :lol:

Sent straight to voicemail.

R.I.P.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I've been losing interest in sports in general for some time. So it's not hard for me to walk away. I'm kind of sad though. I will follow it from a distance. I wonder if Arizona basketball will ever reach the level it once reached.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

RIP AZ BB
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Longhorned wrote:But don't think twice, it's alright.

I was reading this thread & thinking man...there is so much feels in here & I have so much to say & add & then I get to LH's post & of course it's perfect.

My brother quit sometime around here last year. I've always been a little sour about it. My pops & I lost our triad of bonding & passion & fandom. But I have to agree...he was probably just smarter than us. I'm so confused & hurt I don't know what to think - much less say. I will bleed red & blue until I die but shit. wtf.

SO much of my entertainment life is built on the cats. I've got a headache.

BtfD, just maybe a little less. Cheers
Last edited by Bear Down Vegas on Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
sirhamsalot

Post by sirhamsalot »

UAEebs86 wrote:UA ticket office is calling me. LMFAO :lol:

Sent straight to voicemail.

R.I.P.
I just answered and was going to give the poor soul who is just doing their job an earful, but it's just a canned automated message.
phenom5

Post by phenom5 »

Interesting post. I love sports in general too much to walk away.

But watching this season with my 2 month old son on my lap has really helped keep my anger level waaaayyyyy down. I just don't get too worked up over things like I used to.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:

This is selfish, but I'm envious of some of you. I had family who attended Arizona, but my deeper personal connection was when I started law school here in 2004.

I grew up a basketball fan, and gravitated to basketball. I missed the final fours and national championship, but caught the crushing elite eight losses and the decline, and now this.

I guess life is bigger and should be bigger. Selfishly, I feel cheated that I missed the glory days and got the ugly morning after.

If this really is forcing Miller out, it's simultaneously turning your back on some of my favorite Wildcats, guys like TJ, Nick, AG, etc. This severs that connection too. Maybe it's time for that for me too. I can't keep the glory days, but I can keep better than a petty, shadowy backstabbing.

The rest of my life can move on. I never really thought I'd turn my back on Arizona basketball, but this seems like the time to realize the bigger picture.
sirhamsalot

Post by sirhamsalot »

This is the straw that broke the camel's back. I've never seen so many die hards so down and pessimistic about the future.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Catintheheat wrote:I've been losing interest in sports in general for some time. So it's not hard for me to walk away. I'm kind of sad though. I will follow it from a distance. I wonder if Arizona basketball will ever reach the level it once reached.

I used to be a huge pro sports fan, Lions, Tigers, Red Wings and so on and used to watch college football and basketball all day. Used to listen to every Tigers game on at night on the radio, since most games weren't televised. Ernie Harwell and George Kell!

Must have been late 70s or early 80s I completely lost interest in all pro sports. Not sure why. Then got busy with work and family, and now I only watch UA basketball and football. Didn't even want to watch the Territorial Cup, but my wife wanted to so we did.

But I will keep watching, just now the basketball program will meet my extremely low expectations I have for the football program.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Like some, I'm sad that I'm not more sad. It's been building for 4-5 years for me, but I just don't care that much anymore. Hope that changes at some point. I've only watched 2 complete games this season...
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

sirhamsalot wrote:This is the straw that broke the camel's back. I've never seen so many die hards so down and pessimistic about the future.
It's crazy. I feel you.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I'm not sure how advanced AI is these days but if ever a message board needed a group hug it's now.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

phenom5 wrote:Interesting post. I love sports in general too much to walk away.

But watching this season with my 2 month old son on my lap has really helped keep my anger level waaaayyyyy down. I just don't get too worked up over things like I used to.
Same with me. My kid was born on November 30th, when was yours born?
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Reading the board this evening leaves me with the same distant feeling of melancholy as this Nat Geo photo.
phenom5

Post by phenom5 »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Congrats! He was born 12/4.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

phenom5 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Congrats! He was born 12/4.
Hahaha that was my kid's due date! Wife had a C-section, so we had to schedule it a bit early. Congrats to you as well my man!
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

It all comes back to how stupid the NCAA is.
Yep, Beyond fucking stupid
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAdevil wrote:Like some, I'm sad that I'm not more sad. It's been building for 4-5 years for me, but I just don't care that much anymore. Hope that changes at some point. I've only watched 2 complete games this season...
I'm conditioned to wins and losses. I can take the basketball.

This is some other shit, and the other stuff, I can't deal with the same.
salim'sheadband

Post by salim'sheadband »

Hi guys.

My kids are now five and almost three. Two kids, and two professional careers (Mrs. SHB and I), continuing education, and various and sundry other obligations later it's been a blessing at this point that my interest in following the team has declined proportionally to my ability to do so.

I probably stopped and started writing something variously called "Sean Miller's Last Stand" 50 times, and that was before the recent allegations, such as they are. I don't think he survives this. I think, when he does get re-hired somewhere, his career will be either top-25 hall-of-fame worthy or unprecedented in disappointment.

I don't know what the future of Arizona basketball holds. Hopefully for the city and the community, it remains strong, although I am not remotely optimistic that it will under current leadership. Either way, we had 10 mostly good years with Miller that I'll remember fondly.

Here's to the next 10.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
UAdevil wrote:Like some, I'm sad that I'm not more sad. It's been building for 4-5 years for me, but I just don't care that much anymore. Hope that changes at some point. I've only watched 2 complete games this season...

This is why I hate college athletics. With the Lakers, I worry about basketball related things. Magic probably did some really shady stuff trying to recruit Paul George, he got fined, move on. Sure as heck know Lebron and Rich Paul and Anthony Davis are doing some shady stuff to get AD on the Lakers, and AD was only fined $50K so far. Its all basketball related stuff.

I don't have to worry about whether the Lakers will have a team or be suspended or anything like that. I can just be a fan. Sure there will be up and down years but I never have to wait for some shoe to drop.

Even next years class the whole time its "Well who stays longer then one year"

College athletics, it feels like its all about shoes dropping. The playing ground is not fair at all, and its not set up to be fair. You have the NCAA who is fucking worthless running everything.

And even when you win like say Alabama, you feel a bit dirty because you have to know they are breaking the rules. Everyone does. So its all bullshit.

At least in pro sports, the playing field is reasonably level and the drama is not nearly like this
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Literally exactly what I have been feeling and doing
phenom5

Post by phenom5 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Hahaha that was my kid's due date! Wife had a C-section, so we had to schedule it a bit early. Congrats to you as well my man!
Due date was 12/22, so he was a little early. Wife's water broke and she took a nap...haha...called me at work like 2 hours later. He's doing good now though, tall and skinny like his daddy. I will do my best to mold him into a pass first PG with size (hopefully).

Newportcat wrote: This is why I hate college athletics. With the Lakers, I worry about basketball related things. Magic probably did some really shady stuff trying to recruit Paul George, he got fined, move on. Sure as heck know Lebron and Rich Paul and Anthony Davis are doing some shady stuff to get AD on the Lakers, and AD was only fined $50K so far. Its all basketball related stuff.

I don't have to worry about whether the Lakers will have a team or be suspended or anything like that. I can just be a fan. Sure there will be up and down years but I never have to wait for some shoe to drop.

College athletics, it feels like its all about shoes dropping. The playing ground is not fair at all, and its not set up to be fair. You have the NCAA who is fucking worthless running everything.

And even when you win like say Alabama, you feel a bit dirty because you have to know they are breaking the rules. Everyone does. So its all bullshit.

At least in pro sports, the playing field is reasonably level and the drama is not nearly like this
Yeah, I just don't have the same level of interest in Pro sports. Maybe I start to divert my time/ interest in that direction.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

deleted post
If Miller leaves, will you leave? Like your job here is done? Almost seems like a fair trade off . . .
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I won't mothball my AZ BB T-shirts until I know why who did what and when. Until then it's like trying to have a relationship with a gal beset by multiple personality disorder in a bar during Battle of the Bands half way through all day happy hour on an empty stomach. I need to converse but the noise is so loud. I need nourishment but there's only alcohol available. The gal, who used to be interesting, sexy and alluring, no longer has any verbal skills, keeps changing clothes in the shadows, and runs into tables and walls while dancing after the band takes a break. Right now her shirt says: "Do Something Even If It's Wrong"
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Newportcat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

This is why I hate college athletics. With the Lakers, I worry about basketball related things. Magic probably did some really shady stuff trying to recruit Paul George, he got fined, move on. Sure as heck know Lebron and Rich Paul and Anthony Davis are doing some shady stuff to get AD on the Lakers, and AD was only fined $50K so far. Its all basketball related stuff.

Exactly how I feel. And I say this as someone born in Tucson, into a family who has had season tickets my entire life. Someone whos passion was built from going to EVERY UA home game throughout my childhood with my mother. Someone who took said seed that was planted, basically at birth and watered it throughout my life.

I just cant take the heartbreak anymore right now. As fucking sad as this all makes me, and I have no idea if I should be more upset at Miller or Heeke, or hell, myself. I just need a break and it all stems back to corrupt college athletics.

Thankfully, my thirst is undeniable for NBA basketball, and like you, am so fucking glad professional sports can at least act with some adult-level integrity, admit there were things that were illegal, punish them in a meaningful way, and MOVE ON.

-Shane Battier
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

phenom5 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Due date was 12/22, so he was a little early. Wife's water broke and she took a nap...haha...called me at work like 2 hours later. He's doing good now though, tall and skinny like his daddy. I will do my best to mold him into a pass first PG with size (hopefully).

Newportcat wrote: This is why I hate college athletics. With the Lakers, I worry about basketball related things. Magic probably did some really shady stuff trying to recruit Paul George, he got fined, move on. Sure as heck know Lebron and Rich Paul and Anthony Davis are doing some shady stuff to get AD on the Lakers, and AD was only fined $50K so far. Its all basketball related stuff.

Yeah, I just don't have the same level of interest in Pro sports. Maybe I start to divert my time/ interest in that direction.
I can understand as when I walk into McKale Center, and hear the band, its a far different experience then say walking into Staples Center. Its almost magical especially now when I do not do it that much.

It just brings me back to my college days which were so fun.

The Lakers were my first love outside of the Rams. but I see why people have such a love for college sports completely. I just think it all feels different now to me
phenom5

Post by phenom5 »

TucsonClip wrote: Exactly how I feel. And I say this as someone born in Tucson, into a family who has had season tickets my entire life. Someone whos passion was built from going to EVERY UA home game throughout my childhood with my mother. Someone who took said seed that was planted, basically at birth and watered it throughout my life.

I just cant take the heartbreak anymore right now. As fucking sad as this all makes me, and I have no idea if I should be more upset at Miller or Heeke, or hell, myself. I just need a break and it all stems back to corrupt college athletics.

Thankfully, my thirst is undeniable for NBA basketball, and like you, am so fucking glad professional sports can at least act with some adult-level integrity, admit there were things that were illegal, punish them in a meaningful way, and MOVE ON.
Well dammit TC, tell me the Lakers are going to make some moves before the deadline. I need so good sports news dammit.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Dear AZ Basketball,

I saw you calling earlier, and yes, I let it ring through to voicemail.

I heard your message where you asked me to come back.

But no, as I told you, I think we need a break.

Your timing here is a small example of why.

You don't care about me the way I've cared about you, a way that had let me look past so many faults for far too long.

I'm not saying I don't love you.

I do.

But for now, I think we still need a break.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

phenom5 wrote:
TucsonClip wrote: Exactly how I feel. And I say this as someone born in Tucson, into a family who has had season tickets my entire life. Someone whos passion was built from going to EVERY UA home game throughout my childhood with my mother. Someone who took said seed that was planted, basically at birth and watered it throughout my life.

Well dammit TC, tell me the Lakers are going to make some moves before the deadline. I need so good sports news dammit.
Not the move you want. Honestly, they could offload the back of their bench and sign guys like Wayne Ellington, Wes Matthews, Robin Lopez, enes Kanter (bleh), possibly DeAndre Jordan (unlike he is bought out), and be in much better shape than they are now, even without AD.

-Shane Battier