PHXCATS

Mike Bibby

Post by PHXCATS »

Really hope this isnt true
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Longhorned

Re: Mike Bibby

Post by Longhorned »

I feel awful for that teacher. But either I misread that story, or it was misreported, or the explanation she gave for why she didn’t report her attacker earlier was because she was thinking of the best interests of the boys. This guy is driving drunk in a high school parking lot, abducting strangers and sexually assaulting them, in a school full of female high school students. And it’s in the best interest of the boys on the team to live with this monster for a protracted period of time than it is to act in the best interest of everyone not to get raped. I guess I or others could be misunderstanding something, so forgive me if I have more to learn about how victims respond to violence.

If the investigation reveals all this to be true, then the witnesses and the other teacher across the hall who knew what had happened need to be fired and never allowed to work in public or private education again.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

I guess that takes him off the list of alumni replacements for CSM, eh?
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote: then the witnesses and the other teacher across the hall who knew what had happened need to be fired and never allowed to work in public or private education again.
Or they can run as a ******** for congress.

The teacher alleges in the restraining order that in February 2017 she was walking outside toward her classroom when she spotted Bibby driving on campus. She did not know him personally, she wrote.

He gestured toward her. She walked to the driver’s side of the car as he swung open the door and jumped out.

According to the order, Bibby picked her up “around the hips” and carried her into the driver’s seat, her head on the console and her legs splayed out the open door as he laid on top of her. She smelled alcohol on his breath, she wrote.

He started to rub his body and genitals on her, groping her, she wrote, and he told her, “What I could do to you.”

She slid out from underneath him and moved toward the main doors of one of the school buildings, and he followed, she wrote in the restraining order.

As two staff members looked on, he held her around her waist, hugged her, rubbed his erect penis against her, and made sexually explicit statements, she wrote. She said she tried to push him away.

She wrote that she was “in shock, in fear, intimidated by his actions, afraid of him as he smelled of alcohol.”
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Out as Shadow Mountain head coach
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote:Out as Shadow Mountain head coach

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/lo ... TRRWkWThjY" target="_blank
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Longhorned wrote:I feel awful for that teacher. But either I misread that story, or it was misreported, or the explanation she gave for why she didn’t report her attacker earlier was because she was thinking of the best interests of the boys. This guy is driving drunk in a high school parking lot, abducting strangers and sexually assaulting them, in a school full of female high school students. And it’s in the best interest of the boys on the team to live with this monster for a protracted period of time than it is to act in the best interest of everyone not to get raped. I guess I or others could be misunderstanding something, so forgive me if I have more to learn about how victims respond to violence.
A lot goes into a woman reporting a sexual assault, especially against someone in power like Bibby has over that school.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

EVCat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I feel awful for that teacher. But either I misread that story, or it was misreported, or the explanation she gave for why she didn’t report her attacker earlier was because she was thinking of the best interests of the boys. This guy is driving drunk in a high school parking lot, abducting strangers and sexually assaulting them, in a school full of female high school students. And it’s in the best interest of the boys on the team to live with this monster for a protracted period of time than it is to act in the best interest of everyone not to get raped. I guess I or others could be misunderstanding something, so forgive me if I have more to learn about how victims respond to violence.
A lot goes into a woman reporting a sexual assault, especially against someone in power like Bibby has over that school.
I agree (I have to pass Title IX training every year). But in addition to the alleged assault itself, the facts as reported either don't make sense or are scandalous. It was 2017. It's literally a school filled with minors.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Those actions are horrific
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Does anyone actually think that it’s just a coincidence that Bobby was not relieved of his duties until after Shadow Mountain won the championship??

The article says there was already an internal investigation underway by the school district when they were informed on February 14th of an official law enforcement investigation...

... winning is everything, I guess.

It’s hard for me to second guess a woman’s reporting, especially without a fuller accounting of all the factors. But I have no sympathy for the school district....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

pc in NM wrote:Does anyone actually think that it’s just a coincidence that Bobby was not relieved of his duties until after Shadow Mountain won the championship??

The article says there was already an internal investigation underway by the school district when they were informed on February 14th of an official law enforcement investigation...

... winning is everything, I guess.

It’s hard for me to second guess a woman’s reporting, especially without a fuller accounting of all the factors. But I have no sympathy for the school district....
It looks like a restraining order was issued on the 22nd...so she waited until the season ended not to torpedo the team and the kids?

(the rest is not directed at pc in NM...in a 2nd reading, I see it looks like I am lecturing at him. This is more an open post)...

Yes, in a perfect world, a woman would consider the attacker may attack other people and report immediately, have the person arrested, and save the day. Except there is a lot that goes into the first part, the 2nd part rarely happens, this person had immense power within the school and was going to have supporters for no reason other than the basketball team winning, and you rarely "save the day" and get that clear win with such a "he said/she said" report. Maybe he is fired, maybe not (he was). But you are, essentially, firing yourself in that school, or creating a very hostile workplace.

None of that is fair. It's awful. And it is a great slice of why so many women don't report, especially if it occurs within their social circle, family circle, or work circle. It looks like she, basically, ate this for 2 years, maybe went back and forth on reporting, and then decided she was going to wait until the kids had won their title and drop the bomb the same day. Which is what she did.

There may be other factors, like a witness, or her hearing he did it to someone else, or just, and this is fair, being fucking pissed seeing the guy who assaulted you getting a bunch of good publicity and being feted. Vengeance can be a reason to report.

IN a perfect world, women would report immediately, it would be easy to determine guilt and innocence, and predators would be removed on the spot. But the real world is victims are often not believed, especially when the person is in power and beloved, and you may not be able to immediately bring yourself to file charges knowing the gauntlet you are going to walk into...and it takes a while, if ever, and some changes in circumstances to gain the power to do so.

Or she is lying. But that is highly unlikely, given she is a co-worker, the initial filing was credible enough for an internal investigation to act quickly, and the police are investigating. False claims often have huge holes in timeline or opportunity or some mistake. And this wasn't someone chasing a pro athlete...it was a co-worker.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

That was my speculative reading of the timeline, EV. It's consistent with the victim's own words to her alleged assaulter about considering the interests of the players. Which makes no sense. The players, who are obviously minors, have more contact time with the assaulter than anyone else.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Longhorned wrote:That was my speculative reading of the timeline, EV. It's consistent with the victim's own words to her alleged assaulter about considering the interests of the players. Which makes no sense. The players, who are obviously minors, have more contact time with the assaulter than anyone else.
It makes no sense to you.

If you are in that basketball factory, and you don't want to fuck up Jaelen and Jovan's last run at a title and national ranking, you wait until the season ends.

The students are minors. They have a lot of basketball time contact with the assaulter. I am not sure how that plays into deciding whether you are going to report and go through the hell she is probably already going through in her own work circles, AND be the one to derail the historical run to a 4th title for the school. So she swallowed it. Until the season ended. So her report didn't derail the season, kind of like speculation has our own team. I don't think she feared for the players...not his type.

She may have initially decided she wasn't going to report, to open her personal life up to all that comes with bringing down the basketball coach king at your school. She may have gone back and forth. She may have gone to therapy. She may have decided two weeks ago that she couldn't live with this anymore. Maybe she was talked into reporting by a friend she confided in just a couple of months ago and she said "OK...you are right. But I am going to wait until the season is over so my report doesn't screw up the kids season".
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I guess it doesn't matter whether it makes sense to me, but there are witnesses and another teacher with knowledge of what took place. There are going to be a lot of parents asking about that awareness and who knew what when.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

I have no idea why the victim waited - I’m even unclear about the timeline.

When I lived in Tucson, I was on the board of the rape crisis center, and as a behavior health professional, I am conversant with the complexity and factors facing any victim and their choice to report or not. I’m not even comfortable evaluating such a choice, especially from the outside.

I will say this - sexual assault perpetrators are criminals, first, and have zero right to be allowed to continue as role models, leaders, teachers, mentors or coaches for children or adolescents. There in NO valid reason to permit them to remain in contact with children or adolescents, especially something as trivial as winning sporting events.

Even when there are “only” allegations to be investigated, seperation is the ONLY valid option. This is not the victim’s choice, call or responsibility. This should be immediately accomplished by those with authority and responsibility over the alleged perpetrator, and they alone should be held accountable for any action or inaction. To put any of that on a victim, before, during or after the decision to report is, IMNSHO, a compounding of the assault.

― Kinky Friedman
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Longhorned wrote:I guess it doesn't matter whether it makes sense to me, but there are witnesses and another teacher with knowledge of what took place. There are going to be a lot of parents asking about that awareness and who knew what when.
After watching the insanity at Hamilton High with their football program sexual assaults/hazing a couple of years ago, and how teachers and administration stayed silent even after getting actual communications about it and having a legal compulsion to report....

...I can believe almost anything when it comes to suppressing something bad in a high school sports factory.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote: I agree (I have to pass Title IX training every year).
Same here, since I also work for an university.

Ignoring such an incident would cost me my job.

As with those 2 other staff members who "allegedly" witnessed it.

Will they lie to cover their ass?

I imagine so. That would end their teaching career.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Argghh. This doesn't sound good.

Edit:

If there's a positive, this isn't a sex assault case.

MB's exposure is not as great. :D
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/lo ... 441323002/" target="_blank

Phoenix police won't recommend criminal charges against Mike Bibby in sexual abuse case

Former NBA player and Shadow Mountain High School basketball coach Mike Bibby likely won't face criminal charges following an allegation of sexual abuse.

Phoenix police Sgt. Vince Lewis confirmed that the investigation into sexual abuse allegations by a teacher at Shadow Mountain High School "did not reveal probable cause to recommend charges against anyone in the case." Lewis added in an email that the case is closed.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

azgreg wrote:
I read the report and that’s a grotesquely misleading headline, which I expect from that publication.

The same witness said it was playful and the teacher was laughing and nothing seemed out of the normal.

I don’t know what happened and am not defending Bibby or condemning the teacher.

But that headline misrepresents the intent of the witness.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azgreg wrote:
Spoilers:

It's not.

Truthfully if Bibby handles things as expected it'll be a net neutral arrangement and that's a good thing.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Bibby is out at Hillcrest.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Any info as to why? They got blown out of the made for TV game the other night
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49 wrote:Any info as to why? They got blown out of the made for TV game the other night

Probably had a lot to do with it.

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... 90749.html" target="_blank

:lol:
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Merkin wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Any info as to why? They got blown out of the made for TV game the other night

Probably had a lot to do with it.

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... 90749.html" target="_blank

:lol:
Dude is jacked
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Hopefully he didn't assault anyone this time.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Can't help but feel a little sad seeing where MB's at. Fired from a prep school job, allegations of sexual assault, and he's clearly got a little life imbalance with the cartoonish physique going on. That doesn't happen without (a) roids, (b) an incalculable number of gym hours, or (c) both of the above.

Hope he's okay.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

^

Didn't want to say anything since I have no knowledge, but I, along with many countless others, have to be thinking 'roids.

Just didn't want to say it first.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:^

Didn't want to say anything since I have no knowledge, but I, along with many countless others, have to be thinking 'roids.

Just didn't want to say it first.
I don't know why you'd hire him with that ridiculously jacked photo around, then bother testing him for steroids.

It would be like hiring Tyrone Biggums, then doing a drug test for crack.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Bibby works as a coach for a HS program that isn't built around high end D1 talent. You have to work egos effectively as much as anything else in that position (also something that major college coaches deal with). Bibby was never built to do that, which is why he had success at Shadow Mountain, which isn't a basketball player factory, but was always going to fail at Hillcrest. Hilarious it only took what, 8 games, before they canned his ass lol.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well they didn’t look well coached at all.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

azcat49 wrote:Well they didn’t look well coached at all.
Knowing his style of coaching, they were probably pretty resistant. Mike isn't a roll the ball out kind of coach. He runs scenario drills, odd number defensive drills, etc. Not a lot of scrimmaging. Your quickest way to the bench is to blow a defensive assignment. He isn't your best friend. He isn't holding dunk contests before practice.

The parents still run the show at the basketball factory prep schools. That first year in college can be quite a jump in the cold pool
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Yao Ming for Wyoming is fantastic!
Y-YAO-MING.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

If you told people you're "big in Alabama", would they have any cause to doubt you?
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Merkin wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:05 pm Yao Ming for Wyoming is fantastic!
Y-YAO-MING.
You mean Montana?
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Oops. Merk failed his geography quiz.
-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Think it’s his Memphis jersey or Atlanta jersey?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MountainCat wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:27 pm
Y-YAO-MING.
You mean Montana?
I always frickin' get those 2 states confused! There are 2 large unoccupied very cold states.

But I still like Yao Ming for Wyoming.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:41 pm
MountainCat wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:27 pm
Y-YAO-MING.
You mean Montana?
I always frickin' get those 2 states confused! There are 2 large unoccupied very cold states.

But I still like Yao Ming for Wyoming.

You're supposed to get Wyoming and Colorado mixed up because the are both rectangular and next to each other.

To quote the Weird Al song "I'll Sue Ya":

"I sued Verizon 'cause I get all depressed any time my cell phone is roaming
I sued Colorado 'cause you know, I think it looks a little bit too much like Wyoming"
-JB
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Chicat wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:39 pm Think it’s his Memphis jersey or Atlanta jersey?
Based on the colors I would assume Atlanta, which I had forgot he even played for.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:19 pm
Chicat wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:39 pm Think it’s his Memphis jersey or Atlanta jersey?
Based on the colors I would assume Atlanta, which I had forgot he even played for.
Makes sense geographically too, but I feel like his time in Atlanta was pretty forgettable.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:17 pm
You're supposed to get Wyoming and Colorado mixed up because the are both rectangular and next to each other.
The sad thing is that I used to live in Colorado, and used to drive up to Wyoming to get fireworks.

A mind is such a terrible thing to waste.

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Why would Nash be the biggest seller here?
Unless Nash ordered 100000 to pass out to the homeless in New York
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Nash had 10 seasons with the Suns.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Yeah, but that was many moons ago. I thought the chart was last year’s sales.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Y-YAO-MING.
It’s Montucky, bro.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

wyo-cat wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:05 pm
Y-YAO-MING.
It’s Montucky, bro.
I thought it was decided to be M-ING-Tana?
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!