Re: Next year...2019-20

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

ChooChooCat wrote:Sigh, buckle up boys.
More? :shock:
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:Sigh, buckle up boys.
Absolutely never-ending as an Arizona fan. Unreal.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Can we please just have a set roster.

(also, 2020 Baker > 2020 Armstrong... even though I like Armstrong)
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

So it's come to this. We need Barcello & Smith to play rotation minutes.

Arizona's luck with SFs has been terrible since RHJ left, kinda expecting with this luck for Green to blow out his shoulders and miss the season at this point.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

We're not done adding to the roster.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Was this roster driven, NCAA driven, grade driven or just money driven? And Choo, you said buckle up, are you expecting more defects?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I don't think anyone knows, or is willing to say, what is going on with BWill medically...which seems like a smart move. I doubt he would want to leave, and there is no way Arizona would want him to leave.

I think Armstrong had some issues both in the classroom and in the locker room...

I think Arizona is looking to fill a need at the wing. Where that comes from, who knows at this point...maybe there is someone on the roster that needs to play immediately?

If what Choo is alluding to is right, then there will still be some more changes...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:Was this roster driven, NCAA driven, grade driven or just money driven? And Choo, you said buckle up, are you expecting more defects?
You can't make another addition without another defect. In regards to Armstrong, remember when he was wavering? He fucked around in the classroom and got a couple of D's and instead of turning it around he was too busy being wooed by other schools. The hurdle to get cleared at Arizona was steep after that needless to say.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I do have to say that I love the summer freak outs for players that seldom will get a ton of minutes anyway. Miller plays like 7 dudes, maybe 8 if forced.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Is Miller looking at a recruit to reclassify or a transfer. Most half decent transfers are already committed elsewhere. Pursuing another sit out transfer seems counterproductive. Can't imagine there's many good enough JUCOs out there either.
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

ChooChooCat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Was this roster driven, NCAA driven, grade driven or just money driven? And Choo, you said buckle up, are you expecting more defects?
You can't make another addition without another defect. In regards to Armstrong, remember when he was wavering? He fucked around in the classroom and got a couple of D's and instead of turning it around he was too busy being wooed by other schools. The hurdle to get cleared at Arizona was steep after that needless to say.
Awesome. I know I shouldn't worry because Miller has done this so many times. It's just beyond exhausting at this point.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

This is why I've never read or posted in an off-season thread, and why I never will.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Probably already mentioned above, but worth repeating.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I can’t remember an off-season with this much drama.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Beachcat97 wrote:I can’t remember an off-season with this much drama.
It probably hasn't been this crazy here since the lead up to the 2018-2019 season.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:Is Miller looking at a recruit to reclassify or a transfer. Most half decent transfers are already committed elsewhere. Pursuing another sit out transfer seems counterproductive. Can't imagine there's many good enough JUCOs out there either.
Arizona needs a wing that can contribute immediately. I think they get one.
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

ChooChooCat wrote:
sounds like t ferg in regards to getting cleared..
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Like every year, most Arizona fans will first learn about the incoming freshman at the Red/Blue game.

The crazy superfans will learn about them earlier, sometime in September in the Daily Wildcat or the Arizona Daily Star.

And the off-their-rockers, completely bonkers, scrambled-eggs-for-brains-insane-asylum-no-life-on-the-outside fans will comment in June about what a dramatic off-season it's been so far. They'll even know the names of recruits who never made it to the start of team practices.
Azgirl

Post by Azgirl »

Arizona needs a wing that can contribute immediately. I think they get one.[/quote]

Anyone in mind????
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Do we have any clue what’s going on with Bwill? Also any chance Baker can veg a waiver?
ralmom22

Post by ralmom22 »

Longhorned wrote:Like every year, most Arizona fans will first learn about the incoming freshman at the Red/Blue game.

The crazy superfans will learn about them earlier, sometime in September in the Daily Wildcat or the Arizona Daily Star.

And the off-their-rockers, completely bonkers, scrambled-eggs-for-brains-insane-asylum-no-life-on-the-outside fans will comment in June about what a dramatic off-season it's been so far. They'll even know the names of recruits who never made it to the start of team practices.
You are SO right! I still dislike certain NBA players for bailing on us as recruits... and if I ever bring it up - even to my basketball friends- they have no idea what I’m talking about !

On another note- is BWill the last remaining player we are worrying about? Trying to figure out if I need to pick up 1 or 2 bottles of wine....
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

84Cat wrote:This tweet makes it sound like he is transferring
Wouldn't trust ppu either way tbh
ChooChooCat wrote:
NYCat wrote:Is Miller looking at a recruit to reclassify or a transfer. Most half decent transfers are already committed elsewhere. Pursuing another sit out transfer seems counterproductive. Can't imagine there's many good enough JUCOs out there either.
Arizona needs a wing that can contribute immediately. I think they get one.

Wing depth of is the only position of need so it makes sense. The most interesting thing left is who leaves, it's really only Barcello who's a candidate if Williams isn't going anywhere.

Kinda wondering who Miller can nab that's a) good enough to contribute immediately and yet b) won't start ahead of Green/Williams/Hazzard
Last edited by NYCat on Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Damnit Terry! Dont make me watch overseas hoops

Im exhausted. Might sit out the '20 recruiting season
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Longhorned wrote:This is why I've never read or posted in an off-season thread, and why I never will.
Wait...
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

No one should ever, ever consider PPU a "good faith" account/website. They're not here to support Arizona hoops, they're here to line their own pockets.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PPU is just PGU sans Ace, although he might still have his dirty little fingers in it.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Azgirl wrote:Arizona needs a wing that can contribute immediately. I think they get one.
Anyone in mind????[/quote]

We were in preliminary contact with Shakur Juiston at the beginning of the transfer season, but I'm not sure if that's something we can get back into or not plus I'm also not sure he's a wing either, but he's literally the best grad transfer on the market. There's a few other guys out there too. Maybe a 2020 kid could reclassify. Things seem to work themselves out and Sean Miller certainly has a way of making things happen.

I like the Juiston option if you want to recreate the 2014 team honestly.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Merkin wrote:PPU is just PGU sans Ace, although he might still have his dirty little fingers in it.
PGU without the inside access or quality web design.

Dollar store PGU
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Azgirl wrote:Arizona needs a wing that can contribute immediately. I think they get one.
Anyone in mind????
We were in preliminary contact with Shakur Juiston at the beginning of the transfer season, but I'm not sure if that's something we can get back into or not plus I'm also not sure he's a wing either, but he's literally the best grad transfer on the market. There's a few other guys out there too. Maybe a 2020 kid could reclassify. Things seem to work themselves out and Sean Miller certainly has a way of making things happen.

I like the Juiston option if you want to recreate the 2014 team honestly.[/quote]

I would have liked Juiston if we didn’t land Nnaji or Gettings. As is, want no part of another big on this roster. Miller can’t help himself when it comes to playing too many bigs at once.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

ChooChooCat wrote:

What about Kerry Blackshear? Also, where is this spot coming from? If someone else won't be on the team why not just say so by now. The only person not currently on campus with the team is Nnaji FWIW. BWill is on campus and practicing with the team.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gronk4heisman wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

What about Kerry Blackshear? Also, where is this spot coming from? If someone else won't be on the team why not just say so by now. The only person not currently on campus with the team is Nnaji FWIW. BWill is on campus and practicing with the team.
We don't need a PF and even if we did Blackshear has literally every body on him, namely Kentucky. I threw Juiston out as maybe a AG type deal minus the ridiculous athleticism, but like I said I'm not even sure he could be an effective 3 like AG was due to his defensive ability. I legit don't know who's the guy that's out, but you know the rumors on BWill, literally my info is dry on this one. I've heard from someone I don't 100% trust that doctors have suggested he not play basketball any more and Arizona is obviously afraid of a lawsuit if god forbid it goes as tragically wrong as doctors suggest. I'm sure as shit not going to go on the record with that, but take it fwiw. Like I said earlier people who know way more than me aren't even commenting on the guy at all, so that can't be for no reason.

On a side note I do know we have reached out previously to a grad transfer out of North Texas and that occurred before we 100% knew TA wasn't going to show up. I don't believe that's gotten anywhere, at least not at the moment.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

We don't need a PF and even if we did Blackshear has literally every body on him, namely Kentucky. I threw Juiston out as maybe a AG type deal minus the ridiculous athleticism, but like I said I'm not even sure he could be an effective 3 like AG was due to his defensive ability. I legit don't know who's the guy that's out, but you know the rumors on BWill, literally my info is dry on this one. I've heard from someone I don't 100% trust that doctors have suggested he not play basketball any more and Arizona is obviously afraid of a lawsuit if god forbid it goes as tragically wrong as doctors suggest. I'm sure as shit not going to go on the record with that, but take it fwiw. Like I said earlier people who know way more than me aren't even commenting on the guy at all, so that can't be for no reason.
It makes some sense. I never understood how Arizona could possibly be in a bad relationship with a guaranteed starter and 30 mpg guy.

If AZ docs are telling BWill something he does not want to hear, that would answer a bit. Beyond the knee, I would do unspeakable things to have BWill in our lineup next year.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... 20-2020-21" target="_blank

Checking out the grad transfer rankings, there's really no one out there that isn't already committed. There Juiston and DJ Williams from GW.
37. DJ Williams, 6-7, 215 pounds, SF, RS Jr., George Washington
Williams started his career at Illinois, but transferred to George Washington, where he stood out during his lone season in Washington D.C. Averaged 13.7 points and 4.7 rebounds
ChooChooCat wrote: On a side note I do know we have reached out previously to a grad transfer out of North Texas and that occurred before we 100% knew TA wasn't going to show up. I don't believe that's gotten anywhere, at least not at the moment.
Was it this guy, if it is idk if it's worth it. Need someone with legitimate size above 6'6
41. Ryan Woolridge, 6-3, 175 pounds, G, RS Jr., North Texas
Versatile guard has been a consistent contributor for the Mean Green for three seasons. Averaged 11.7 points, 5.9 rebounds and 4.8 assists.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

On a side note I do know we have reached out previously to a grad transfer out of North Texas and that occurred before we 100% knew TA wasn't going to show up. I don't believe that's gotten anywhere, at least not at the moment.
The doctor probably already said too much about BWill. It's a borderline HIPAA violation. OTOH I know nothing on the subject but your post implies we don't want a Hank Gathers or Len Bias type problem. And if that is the case BWill should not exercise heavily anymore because of the ticking time bomb. I also heard it could be a knee problem. Then I would say it's BWill's call. It's not life threatening but could be similar to Ray Smith.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Catintheheat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

The doctor probably already said too much about BWill. It's a borderline HIPAA violation. OTOH I know nothing on the subject but your post implies we don't want a Hank Gathers or Len Bias type problem. And if that is the case BWill should not exercise heavily anymore because of the ticking time bomb. I also heard it could be a knee problem. Then I would say it's BWill's call. It's not life threatening but could be similar to Ray Smith.
Please don't treat that BWill stuff as the gospel. The only thing that gives it legs IMO is the reaching out to a grad transfer combo guard (before the Armstrong situation became obvious) and the fact that somebody had to transfer to open up room for Brown. I genuinely have no idea if what I was told there is the case or not.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Doesn't take a MD too see that BWill has serious knee issues and needs to make some decisions if he ever wants to walk again without pain, it it's not too late already. Thought I read where his disorder causes lack of blood flow to his knees causing cells to die. You don't want metal joints at age 30.

Looking it up:

Williams was experiencing pain in his right knee in the fall of 2016, which turned out to be osteochondritis dissecans, a joint condition in which bone underneath the cartilage of a joint dies due to lack of blood flow.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

U of A(ngst)
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Beachcat97 wrote:U of A(ngst)
Hey, that’s my Twitter name!

JohnnyUofAngst
@TheRealestJMark
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

JMarkJohns wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:U of A(ngst)
Hey, that’s my Twitter name!

JohnnyUofAngst
@TheRealestJMark
It's perfect. And prescient.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Puff Johnson?!?
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Longhorned wrote:This is why I've never read or posted in an off-season thread, and why I never will.
Love it.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:Doesn't take a MD too see that BWill has serious knee issues and needs to make some decisions if he ever wants to walk again without pain, it it's not too late already. Thought I read where his disorder causes lack of blood flow to his knees causing cells to die. You don't want metal joints at age 30.

Looking it up:

Williams was experiencing pain in his right knee in the fall of 2016, which turned out to be osteochondritis dissecans, a joint condition in which bone underneath the cartilage of a joint dies due to lack of blood flow.
He had surgery to correct it. How successful the surgery was...that's probably between him and his doc.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

BWill's career is following the path of Jawann McClellan, Kevin Parrom and Ray Smith. Geeze, we can't catch a break. Can we get some good luck our way? Like Dick Vitale loses his voice -- forever?
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

So Gershon put Puff to UofA on Crystal Ball. Is the talk about him playing on ‘19 legitimate? If so, do we have a plan? I like this kid but I’m not sure who leaves to make this work. Unless all of our worst thoughts comes true and Brandon can’t play anymore.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Scheer was on 1290 the other day and wouldn't get into details about BWill but he basically spelled it out. We will find out about his status in July sometime, probably. He's wanting to play, we are wanting him to play... but it's not his / our decision. Basically implied what we are all thinking... it's a medical thing.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:So Gershon put Puff to UofA on Crystal Ball. Is the talk about him playing on ‘19 legitimate? If so, do we have a plan? I like this kid but I’m not sure who leaves to make this work. Unless all of our worst thoughts comes true and Brandon can’t play anymore.
If we do get him, I'll join everyone else in McKale in just making a *puff* sound every time he's introduced or does something commendable. It might be disturbing.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:So Gershon put Puff to UofA on Crystal Ball. Is the talk about him playing on ‘19 legitimate? If so, do we have a plan? I like this kid but I’m not sure who leaves to make this work. Unless all of our worst thoughts comes true and Brandon can’t play anymore.
The motivation is there more than ever to reclassify with being ruled ineligible to play in his current HS league and his bro now being 2 hours up the road. I'm just unsure if he can do the necessary academic work in time (I'm not saying he can't, just not sure what or how much he needs as it's bit later in the game to explore the reclassify route). If so he probably doesn't make it on campus until the Fall semester starts, which isn't awful, but certainly not preferred. Beggars can't be choosers though and Arizona certainly needs a wing with size and options are limited needless to say.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Alieberman wrote:Scheer was on 1290 the other day and wouldn't get into details about BWill but he basically spelled it out. We will find out about his status in July sometime, probably. He's wanting to play, we are wanting him to play... but it's not his / our decision. Basically implied what we are all thinking... it's a medical thing.
**Sigh**
ChooChooCat wrote:
The motivation is there more than ever to reclassify with being ruled ineligible to play in his current HS league and his bro now being 2 hours up the road. I'm just unsure if he can do the necessary academic work in time (I'm not saying he can't, just not sure what or how much he needs as it's bit later in the game to explore the reclassify route). If so he probably doesn't make it on campus until the Fall semester starts, which isn't awful, but certainly not preferred. Beggars can't be choosers though and Arizona certainly needs a wing with size and options are limited needless to say.
Well, if BWill’s status is as bad as it seams, this would be a good consolation prize. Is there any chance that if Brandon can’t play, and Puff can’t join in time that Baker would be able to get a waiver to play this year?
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

NYCat wrote:https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... 20-2020-21

Checking out the grad transfer rankings, there's really no one out there that isn't already committed. There Juiston and DJ Williams from GW.
37. DJ Williams, 6-7, 215 pounds, SF, RS Jr., George Washington
Williams started his career at Illinois, but transferred to George Washington, where he stood out during his lone season in Washington D.C. Averaged 13.7 points and 4.7 rebounds
ChooChooCat wrote: On a side note I do know we have reached out previously to a grad transfer out of North Texas and that occurred before we 100% knew TA wasn't going to show up. I don't believe that's gotten anywhere, at least not at the moment.
Was it this guy, if it is idk if it's worth it. Need someone with legitimate size above 6'6
41. Ryan Woolridge, 6-3, 175 pounds, G, RS Jr., North Texas
Versatile guard has been a consistent contributor for the Mean Green for three seasons. Averaged 11.7 points, 5.9 rebounds and 4.8 assists.
Woolridge to Gonzaga