The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: Next year...2019-20

Post by ChooChooCat »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:
NYCat wrote:https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... 20-2020-21

Checking out the grad transfer rankings, there's really no one out there that isn't already committed. There Juiston and DJ Williams from GW.
37. DJ Williams, 6-7, 215 pounds, SF, RS Jr., George Washington
Williams started his career at Illinois, but transferred to George Washington, where he stood out during his lone season in Washington D.C. Averaged 13.7 points and 4.7 rebounds
ChooChooCat wrote: On a side note I do know we have reached out previously to a grad transfer out of North Texas and that occurred before we 100% knew TA wasn't going to show up. I don't believe that's gotten anywhere, at least not at the moment.
Was it this guy, if it is idk if it's worth it. Need someone with legitimate size above 6'6
41. Ryan Woolridge, 6-3, 175 pounds, G, RS Jr., North Texas
Versatile guard has been a consistent contributor for the Mean Green for three seasons. Averaged 11.7 points, 5.9 rebounds and 4.8 assists.
Woolridge to Gonzaga
Well....that changes things. Hopefully that means good news in house otherwise Mark Few just took Miller to the cleaners. Well buckle up boys, I don't know what's a coming anymore.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

ChooChooCat wrote:
IndianaZonaFan wrote:

Checking out the grad transfer rankings, there's really no one out there that isn't already committed. There Juiston and DJ Williams from GW.
Williams started his career at Illinois, but transferred to George Washington, where he stood out during his lone season in Washington D.C. Averaged 13.7 points and 4.7 rebounds
ChooChooCat wrote: On a side note I do know we have reached out previously to a grad transfer out of North Texas and that occurred before we 100% knew TA wasn't going to show up. I don't believe that's gotten anywhere, at least not at the moment.
Was it this guy, if it is idk if it's worth it. Need someone with legitimate size above 6'6
Versatile guard has been a consistent contributor for the Mean Green for three seasons. Averaged 11.7 points, 5.9 rebounds and 4.8 assists.
Woolridge to Gonzaga
Well....that changes things. Hopefully that means good news in house otherwise Mark Few just took Miller to the cleaners. Well buckle up boys, I don't know what's a coming anymore.
Nothing new or surprising here. Few's been taking Miller to the cleaners for several years now on and off the court. The real 'king of the west' is Gonzaga and that isn't changing any time soon.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Captain Obvious wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
IndianaZonaFan wrote:

Woolridge to Gonzaga
Nothing new or surprising here. Few's been taking Miller to the cleaners for several years now on and off the court. The real 'king of the west' is Gonzaga and that isn't changing any time soon.

Trying real hard to get that crown for most pessimistic poster, huh? Or are just here to say negative shit all the time and call yourself a “realist? Just piss on our legs and tell us it’s raining next time u choose to post.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Captain Obvious wrote:Nothing new or surprising here. Few's been taking Miller to the cleaners for several years now on and off the court. The real 'king of the west' is Gonzaga and that isn't changing any time soon.
:roll:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Sean Miller is so incompetent, he mistook a hair dryer for a motor cycle, tried to ride it off a cliff, and only made his pants warm.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Longhorned wrote:Sean Miller is so incompetent, he mistook a hair dryer for a motor cycle, tried to ride it off a cliff, and only made his pants warm.
Should he have been wearing ass-less chaps?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

When all you offer is negative takes devoid of actual analysis, people will stop paying attention.

I've wondered if Captain Obvious is Rise and Fire.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

And there's the extra scholie!

Guess he didn't want the best seat in the house and actually wants to play somewhere.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Tough. I had irrational confidence in AB.

Never ending roster flux. Guess I’m glad we’ve kept the core of it though.
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

I always really liked Barcello, sad it never worked out for him here. Glad to see him try somewhere else, get that confidence in his game back.

While I looked at his feed, I also saw this: Very weird. Only one remains.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:And there's the extra scholie!

Guess he didn't want the best seat in the house and actually wants to play somewhere.
And probably won't be the only extra one.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Smith?

(I hope)
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

I was hopinh he was going to give us quality minutes this year. Guess we play the freshman more
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Let's hope it's not Bwill now...the backcourt would be very thin if so.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Smith?

(I hope)
You already know who it is and it ain't Smith barring a miracle.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Merkin wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Smith?

(I hope)
BWill medical retirement? Obviously if he medically redshirts the UA is still liable for his scholarship. If he medically retires, his scholarship reverts to an academic one and frees up his athletic scholie like happened to Ray Smith.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Tough. I had irrational confidence in AB.

Never ending roster flux. Guess I’m glad we’ve kept the core of it though.
I'm ok with that. It wasn't really working out from either side.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Merkin wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Smith?

(I hope)
Such a bummer if Williams. Feels like he has been a wildcat for 4 years.

Mannion going to see 35 minutes? likely
Green going to see 35 minutes? likely

Who do you want to see get more minutes ... 5'10 Gradtransfer or 6'7" 3 year contributor? Not sure there is a good answer here.

Choo.. how ready is Puff Johnson to give 15 minutes on this team?

Would prefer we go get two wing players. Preferably at least one that can play defense and one that can shoot. Ideally those things are not mutually exclusive.

What a crazy summer.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I liked Barcellos motor but for some reason the best shooter on the team could never hit a bucket during a game...hope he works that out, if not he gets a decent college education for his efforts.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Merkin wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Smith?

(I hope)
Such a bummer if Williams. Feels like he has been a wildcat for 4 years.

Mannion going to see 35 minutes? likely
Green going to see 35 minutes? likely

Who do you want to see get more minutes ... 5'10 Gradtransfer or 6'7" 3 year contributor? Not sure there is a good answer here.

Choo.. how ready is Puff Johnson to give 15 minutes on this team?

Would prefer we go get two wing players. Preferably at least one that can play defense and one that can shoot. Ideally those things are not mutually exclusive.

What a crazy summer.
I think Puff could get some minutes where Armstrong wouldn't have gotten them based solely on the fact he's infinitely more likely to listen to Miller and take to coaching than Armstrong would have. Guy is a much better cultural fit to say the least. I don't know about 15 minutes per game, but I think he can get some PT. I do think we add another wing type grad transfer as well if what's expected to happen happens.
StickItInTheyFace

ChooChooCat wrote:
Merkin wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Smith?

(I hope)
I fucking hate injuries. Especially when it's before someone gets paid. Most irritating thing about sports and it's not even close.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

StickItInTheyFace wrote:I fucking hate injuries. Especially when it's before someone gets paid. Most irritating thing about sports and it's not even close.
Yep. Ray Smith should be in the NBA now, making millions.

Extremely pleased to see he graduated, but this has to be a little disappointing. But well done Ray! Love to see him as a grad assistant if possible.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Merkin wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Smith?

(I hope)
.....fuck
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’ve gotten somewhat used to having to get acclimated to a bunch of new faces every year, but holy shit this year will be crazy in that regard.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Chicat wrote:I’ve gotten somewhat used to having to get acclimated to a bunch of new faces every year, but holy shit this year will be crazy in that regard.
I know it's like manion green nnaji and koloko are sophomores and our new class of freshmen are coming in, a bunch of seniors are leaving and Armstrong went early and didn't get drafted. Seriously seems like 2 recruiting cycles this year.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Life is never easy, especially for Arizona fans.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

So, it is looking like Jake Desjardins gets to keep his scholarship, there will be one more departure, one more addition, and then we can call it a wrap for this year?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Well, Barcello leaving feels like a no-brainer. Was he Romar-ed?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

KaibabKat wrote:So, it is looking like Jake Desjardins gets to keep his scholarship, there will be one more departure, one more addition, and then we can call it a wrap for this year?
If Arizona gets it's way it's two more additions and one more departure.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

surprises the hell out of me.

Talk about keeping stuff close to the vest. I exited the world for a family matter for a couple of days and boom...

I would expect him to stay close to home, but I really have no idea....
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

EVCat wrote:surprises the hell out of me.

Talk about keeping stuff close to the vest. I exited the world for a family matter for a couple of days and boom...

Now let's get this straight. You didn't exit the world for a family matter. You entered the world for a family matter. And while you were there, I hope you didn't tell your family that the world is a place where 39 strangers type and read notices about off-season roster changes for a college basketball program.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
KaibabKat wrote:So, it is looking like Jake Desjardins gets to keep his scholarship, there will be one more departure, one more addition, and then we can call it a wrap for this year?
When was the last time that Arizona won a head-to-head recruiting battle with North Carolina?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

KaibabKat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
When was the last time that Arizona won a head-to-head recruiting battle with North Carolina?
Josh Green chose Arizona over his 'dream school' North Carolina
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

KaibabKat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Laurie Markkanen
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

KaibabKat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Didn't JG have an offer from UNC?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Other guys with offers from UNC: Randolph, Alkins, and Tarc.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

KaibabKat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Outside of the numerous examples provided, Cam Johnson would've went to Arizona, but we didn't want to force Rawle out.

Also Zeke Nnaji was offered by UNC late, paid his own way to visit Chapel Hill, a week later he committed to Arizona.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StickItInTheyFace

KaibabKat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I'm pretty sure Zeke as well.
StickItInTheyFace

Beachcat97 wrote:Well, Barcello leaving feels like a no-brainer. Was he Romar-ed?
My own lack of knowledge showing here, was Romar pushed out by the staff?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

StickItInTheyFace wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Well, Barcello leaving feels like a no-brainer. Was he Romar-ed?
Romar-ed refers to an old practice Romar use to do when he was the head man at UW, where he would take a player's scholarship away.

From what I understand on Barcello this was a similar situation as Ruben Douglas. Folks wanted him to transfer for more playing time and that won out.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ChooChooCat wrote:
StickItInTheyFace wrote:
Romar-ed refers to an old practice Romar use to do when he was the head man at UW, where he would take a player's scholarship away.

From what I understand on Barcello this was a similar situation as Ruben Douglas. Folks wanted him to transfer for more playing time and that won out.
But Romar'd is also a knowingly inaccurate term, since Romar didn't invent the practice and was never its most prolific practitioner. One day in 2005, a poster on Goazcats mistakenly thought Romar went rogue in finding roster space, somebody else believed him, and a term was born.

It's one of those rare internet usages that will never stop being funny.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Longhorned wrote:
EVCat wrote:surprises the hell out of me.

Now let's get this straight. You didn't exit the world for a family matter. You entered the world for a family matter. And while you were there, I hope you didn't tell your family that the world is a place where 39 strangers type and read notices about off-season roster changes for a college basketball program.
It felt like an exit...

Am ready to start caring about transfers and injuries again...
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Main Event wrote:
If BW is not able to play this upcoming year, who is our backup PG? We have lost all our ball handlers from last year in DD, Barcello, BW and Coleman.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gronk4heisman wrote:
Main Event wrote:
If BW is not able to play this upcoming year, who is our backup PG? We have lost all our ball handlers from last year in DD, Barcello, BW and Coleman.
I imagine Hazzard unless Miller pulls in a grad transfer of some sort. Don't follow recruiting enough to know if there are any left.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Main Event wrote:Image

This is why our time spent following this stuff is so productive.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Never a dull fucking moment.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Paging 97Cats...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong