The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

zonagrad

Re: The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Post by zonagrad »

CalStateTempe wrote:Anyone see the Wilmer article?

D will pac12 player of the decade, Altman the coach.

Can’t argue with his analysis.
Miller has 5 conference titles, 3 Elite 8s.

Not saying Altman isn’t a great coach, but Miller had a better decade.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I'm guessing all that matters is that Altman got that one Final Four.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think the Altman pick is a nod to the perception of doing more with less. Am so hoping Miller gets his just desserts this year but we need a lot of improvement pretty quick
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Oregon doing more with less again this year too.
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

CalStateTempe wrote:Oregon doing more with less again this year too.
This is ridiculous. Oregon has one of the best rosters in the country. Two five stars, including a lottery pick center, the JUCO national player of the year and a slew of four star players. If anything they are doing less with more after barely beating Texas Southern. Altman is a decent coach, but I'm not going to give him more credit than he deserves.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

On paper we have one of the better rosters in the country and we look like ca ca in comparison. We barley beat LBSt.

They are also #6 in the AP right now and look in prime form for another FF appearance that we’ll all chalk up to luck.
prh

Post by prh »

Anybody else here watched Oregon this year? If they make a FF, it will be due to tourney being a crapshoot and this being a VERY down year at the top of college ball. They've been on the right side of some games that they look like absolute trash in. Trade 3 bounces between us and them and we also trade places in the polls. They do not look well coached this year in the least.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

CalStateTempe wrote:On paper we have one of the better rosters in the country and we look like ca ca in comparison. We barley beat LBSt.

They are also #6 in the AP right now and look in prime form for another FF appearance that we’ll all chalk up to luck.
And we’ll chalk up our lack of a FF (or even our lack of even legitimately competing for a FF) as bad luck...

As you say, we’ll do what we do!
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

prh wrote:Anybody else here watched Oregon this year? If they make a FF, it will be due to tourney being a crapshoot and this being a VERY down year at the top of college ball. They've been on the right side of some games that they look like absolute trash in. Trade 3 bounces between us and them and we also trade places in the polls. They do not look well coached this year in the least.
Haha yup there it is.

“But for some bounces we’d be there...”

DWWD
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

[quote="prh"]Anybody else here watched Oregon this year? If they make a FF, it will be due to tourney being a crapshoot and this being a VERY down year at the top of college ball. They've been on the right side of some games that they look like absolute trash in. Trade 3 bounces between us and them and we also trade places in the polls. They do not look well coached this year in the least.[/quote

Thanks, you made my point for me. A lot of the gloom and doom fans do not watch other teams. Kentucky lost to Utah, Washington just lost to Houston. Even despite our struggles KenPom has us ahead of Villanova, Kentucky, Auburn and Virginia at 14. Oregon is stacked, you'd have to be an ostrich to think otherwise.

You'll only ask for heartache if you define the program by one thing and one thing only. Just let the season play out.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

SCCats wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:On paper we have one of the better rosters in the country and we look like ca ca in comparison. We barley beat LBSt.

And we’ll chalk up our lack of a FF (or even our lack of even legitimately competing for a FF) as bad luck...

As you say, we’ll do what we do!
Exactly, the post above yours alludes to as much.

If college bb is such a crapshoot this year and we still can’t breakthrough, then hard questions need to be/should be asked.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Virginia is ranked #16 with a 29 point loss to Purdue. 29 POINTS!!!!!!

Also an 11 point home loss to South Carolina. That's like Arizona losing at home to Oregon State.

The Cavs marquee wins are against a 5-loss Syracuse team, a home W for UNC without their star player in the midst of a 4-game losing streak. Oh, and a 3-point win over ASU on a neutral court.

Despite Arizona's losses, Miller has at least been able to make adjustments and get his team back into the game after some very poor efforts (mostly involving poor shot selection). Take away the really shitty foul call on Zeke Nnaji at Baylor with 1:21 remaining in a 1 point game with 2-seconds on the shot clock and the outcome is different.

Everyone is underestimating the fact that we have three freshmen in our starting lineup, our seniors (Jeter & Smith) aren't that special, Gettings has been out a month and Doutrive is off the team. The totality of all this happening in the span of a month has contributed to inconsistent play. Over the next few months -- that inconsistency should decline.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

We beat Long Beach State by 37 points on November 24.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I feel like this is out of step with the board's opinion, but here goes.

I'm not freaking out. Our offense and defense are at levels that historically are good enough to be national championship contenders. Gonzaga and Baylor are legit top ten teams and have computer #'s at a very high level. SJU was the only truly disappointing game in OOC play. I know that last part won't be popular, but I think it's true.

Most of all, our issues are capable of being solved. We built an early deficit against SJU by comitting 8 early turnovers and missing shots. Zaga and Baylor were very largely on our shooting. Good teams don't have a magical force field around the rim that prevents shots from going in. Obviously, one bad night kills you in the tourney, but there's no immunity from that. We're #12 in AdjO nationally. I'd rather have a baseline of good production and worry about not having a bad night than be average and hoping to catch a heater tourney time.

Illinois is an underrated W and people forget that. Look, there is work to be done and growth is necessary, but we have our most talented players being 3 freshmen. I'm a long ways from cashing things in. We have a base to grow from and it's disappointing to see fans jumping ship.

Have a Happy Holidays!
Would say I'm not far off from this. I'm more disappointed that we've allowed our shooting, or wild shot selection and lack of will to score the ball in the paint, to dictate our losses so heavily.

I believe in our offense, but these past few games have been somewhat eye-opening. Still plenty of time to get everything right, but it's just odd as this doesn't feel like a Sean Miller team. Maybe that isn't a bad thing, but the lack of rebounding, defensive miscues, and inefficiency have thrown me for a loop. Part of the reason I've stayed a bit quiet so far. It's hard to get an accurate read on this team, but conference play will provide better context.
I've been cheered up with how we rebounded vs Gonzaga. It showed we can respond to the challenge. Now we have to do it consistently.

The D and mistakes, well, those are the areas I think we need to develop in the most. Having consistent D and being more careful with the ball are generally/hopefully areas young teams develop in. I also tend to agree with Miller that younger teams tend more towards needing shots to fall.

None of this is to say I think we're doing perfectly. More that I see us being in range of where we want to be. Getting there requires improvement and development. Our highs, like Illinois, need to become our median.
prh

Post by prh »

SCCats wrote:
prh wrote:Anybody else here watched Oregon this year? If they make a FF, it will be due to tourney being a crapshoot and this being a VERY down year at the top of college ball. They've been on the right side of some games that they look like absolute trash in. Trade 3 bounces between us and them and we also trade places in the polls. They do not look well coached this year in the least.
Haha yup there it is.

“But for some bounces we’d be there...”

DWWD
My point is actually about them and their coaching. If you watch them, they are not remotely as good as how people are discussing them, and it's on Altman. I'm not trying to get into the DWWD here
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Has moving the three point line back a few feet impacted some of our players, especially when those three's become a little tougher against better competition?
It certainly strengthens the argument that we need to be patient to get really great shots instead of pulling the trigger on decent shots early in the shot clock.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Olsondogg wrote:This team is different
Still believe this, regardless of what happens in conference play.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Olsondogg wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:This team is different
Still believe this, regardless of what happens in conference play.
We as fans aren't much different. We still have trouble managing our expectations. Losing 3 of the last 4 games is tough, but we had put a tough load on our freshmen, and opponents have made adjustments and we've seen the nature of their counter-punch. I take heart in that Zeke appears to be adjusting to the double-team. I expect Nico to adjust to big, long, fast, more experienced backcourt defenders. I expect the rest of the team to adjust and not rely on Josh to produce from the perimeter.

I don't want Miller to change radically, but it would be encouraging to see/hear some new element in his world view as a coach.

If we lose to the ShitShovels the emotional spiral will be steep.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Mannion's old teammate who is recovering from a knee injury.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Is Desjardins injured?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Isn't he redshirting?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

uhhh what!?

"Mains has already been with the Wildcats as a manager during the fall semester because he wasn't cleared to play yet. But he began practicing with the Wildcats in preparation for Saturday's game and is expected to suit up.

Mains received several mid- and low-major Division I offers before undergoing surgery on his knee early last season, then opted to enroll at UA as a freshman this fall. He reportedly has the same knee condition as UA sophomore Brandon Williams, osteochondritis dissecans."
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

az91

Post by az91 »

Jefe wrote:uhhh what!?

"Mains has already been with the Wildcats as a manager during the fall semester because he wasn't cleared to play yet. But he began practicing with the Wildcats in preparation for Saturday's game and is expected to suit up.

Mains received several mid- and low-major Division I offers before undergoing surgery on his knee early last season, then opted to enroll at UA as a freshman this fall. He reportedly has the same knee condition as UA sophomore Brandon Williams, osteochondritis dissecans."
Practice body
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

The relevant point seems to be that he had the same condition as Williams but is ready to play this year after surgery last year.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:The relevant point seems to be that he had the same condition as Williams but is ready to play this year after surgery last year.
Thing is Williams has surgery prior and then played last season, so he's on his second knee surgery.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:Isn't he redshirting?
Not sure why he would.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

ChooChooCat wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:The relevant point seems to be that he had the same condition as Williams but is ready to play this year after surgery last year.
Thing is Williams has surgery prior and then played last season, so he's on his second knee surgery.
Killjoy.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Any truth to the rumor that we're practicing zone? Wonder if we'll actually use it. Of course that requires situational awareness and uncharacteristic deviation from DWWD, so not getting my hopes up.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

ASsU game thread is up
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

TatetheGreat wrote:Any truth to the rumor that we're practicing zone? Wonder if we'll actually use it. Of course that requires situational awareness and uncharacteristic deviation from DWWD, so not getting my hopes up.
Don’t want to burst your bubble of cynicism, but we’ve used zone several times this season already. Of course knowing that requires a willingness to re-examine your narrative.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
Not sure why he would.
He is redshirting.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:
Not sure why he would.

Just an uneducated guess, but grad transfer somewhere else where he will actually get playing time along with a scholarship?
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:Any truth to the rumor that we're practicing zone? Wonder if we'll actually use it. Of course that requires situational awareness and uncharacteristic deviation from DWWD, so not getting my hopes up.
Don’t want to burst your bubble of cynicism, but we’ve used zone several times this season already. Of course knowing that requires a willingness to re-examine your narrative.
Lol “several times.” DWWD is a thing for a reason. His adjustments range from nil to too little, too late. You can read him like a book. Ever wonder why he’s out-coached so frequently? If you don’t know him by now...
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

TatetheGreat wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:
Lol “several times.” DWWD is a thing for a reason. His adjustments range from nil to too little, too late. You can read him like a book. Ever wonder why he’s out-coached so frequently? If you don’t know him by now...
Ah, the great goalpost shifting technique. You wondered if we will ever use it. We did. Now you want him to use it more. So we can take advantage of all those first round athletes we have on the roster? This coming from someone who unironically thought Tate was great? Your last sentence should read “if you don’t know me by now”.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:
Ah, the great goalpost shifting technique. You wondered if we will ever use it. We did. Now you want him to use it more. So we can take advantage of all those first round athletes we have on the roster? This coming from someone who unironically thought Tate was great? Your last sentence should read “if you don’t know me by now”.
Lmao "ever use it." You mean like Lute took advantage of first round athletes? Yawn.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Good the team didn't quit as fast as some fans.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Crazy bastards even played some zone. Was key to victory, I’d say.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:Crazy bastards even played some zone. Was key to victory, I’d say.
Yup 2 in the first half. Was certainly the difference tonight.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Good the team didn't quit as fast as some fans.
1 game does not outweigh 3.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Next game is huge. Huge.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:Crazy bastards even played some zone. Was key to victory, I’d say.
Gotta say, I keep coming back to something we discussed a few weeks ago - we need Jeter to get his annual injury soon because Koloko is a fantastic talent. Ceiling is so much higher with him playing 20+ mins a night from here on out.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

that was a good home win - much needed
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Gotta say, I keep coming back to something we discussed a few weeks ago - we need Jeter to get his annual injury soon because Koloko is a fantastic talent. Ceiling is so much higher with him playing 20+ mins a night from here on out.

I absolutely hear ya, but we need em both for depth. I know you aren’t being serious but Miller isn’t going to bring Jeter off the bench , so hopefully you start to see the minutes gap between the 2 get closer as the season goes along, because I’d much rather see Koloko in there in crunch time than Jeter. It blows my mind how bad Jeter can be at finishing thru even the slightest of contact. Like he was better at it last year.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

I've been pushing for more Koloko since game #1 and was told Jeter was better on both ends. Nuts! Miller is too loyal. I'd start Zeke at the 5 since he doesn't stretch the floor. Twin tower lineups will get destroyed if they don't shoot 3s. Bring in Koloko as an early sub. Jeter has to be a bench body.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
The Tres Tinkle matchup this weekend looms big for that.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Green should match up well other than less experience. Big weekend for us. Really don’t have an impressive road resume yet.

I like Miller’s comments about redefining roles. Hopefully the guys got the message
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Nice game and great team effort. Great to see Koloko play more. Moving forward I'd really like to see more Koloko and less Jeter. 50% FT and 27% from 3 won't cut it against Oregon though. That concerns me. Nico has to be ready to be guarded by more athletic/physical guards. He's struggled with that. Anyway ASU is absolutely awful. I love it!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Thursday gonna be rough.

Get me to March healthy and at full strength.

This team is different...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Next 4 games are gonna be rough.