The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

pokinmik

Re: The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Post by pokinmik »

Last night continued the theme of not getting any loose balls either. Probably some lack of hustle and bad luck but mostly basketball IQ and positioning. I’m sick of making excuses for players that maybe aren’t all that good. Hopefully it was just a dogshit road trip we can forget about and reel off some wins.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

pokinmik wrote:Last night continued the theme of not getting any loose balls either. Probably some lack of hustle and bad luck but mostly basketball IQ and positioning. I’m sick of making excuses for players that maybe aren’t all that good. Hopefully it was just a dogshit road trip we can forget about and reel off some wins.
If there’s a lack of hustle, some (or all) of that has to be on Miller. Think back to the best coaches you had in your youth. Remember how you wanted to do better for them? How they brought out the best in you? How often do we see that with Sean Miller? And don’t say TJ because that dude has a natural fire and drive that few others have.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

I think there can certainly be a debate about how good Nico is at the next level, but hes made for the spread floor, offensively, in the NBA. He is a guy whom we are not going to recognize because of the lack of spacing we see in college, plus the issues with Miller's offense.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote:Are we having fun yet?
I'm gonna park my car on a steep hill...in neutral with just the brake on, put my head under the front tire and wait for someone to come along and take the brake off. Our BB program is not in charge of its fate, why should my fandom be?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Now is your chance to be heard!
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Lol.

Nope, it’s still fuck ESPN.

Now and forever.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

TucsonClip wrote:I think there can certainly be a debate about how good Nico is at the next level, but hes made for the spread floor, offensively, in the NBA. He is a guy whom we are not going to recognize because of the lack of spacing we see in college, plus the issues with Miller's offense.
Same thing was said about trier.

So then why does Miller recruit players that don’t fit his system?
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

CalStateTempe wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:I think there can certainly be a debate about how good Nico is at the next level, but hes made for the spread floor, offensively, in the NBA. He is a guy whom we are not going to recognize because of the lack of spacing we see in college, plus the issues with Miller's offense.

A lot of it has to do with college ball in general. The floor is decidedly more spread as a whole in the NBA just due to the change in rules/distances of the 3PT line, even before factoring anything else in.

The problem is Miller's offensive system and teams bunkering in a zone vs us, plus Miller's offense vs. said zone.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

TucsonClip wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

A lot of it has to do with college ball in general. The floor is decidedly more spread as a whole in the NBA just due to the change in rules/distances of the 3PT line, even before factoring anything else in.

The problem is Miller's offensive system and teams bunkering in a zone vs us, plus Miller's offense vs. said zone.
Then he needs to change personnel to adapt. Lute saw the game changing and started stockpiling guards and wings, suddenly AZ had quick athletic teams to adapt to an evolving college basketball landscape. But that is only one argument — as previously discussed, the constant personnel turnover creates thin benches, inexperience, and gaping holes on teams. This clearly isn’t exclusive to AZ.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Projected 6 seed as of today.

No where near the bubble
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

pokinmik wrote:How about his touch around the rim, lmao. I’ve never seen a D1 player chuck a ball against the backboard so many times like that. He legit has zero basketball skills. He should go to bed every night thanking god he is 7 feet tall and got an education out of it.
It’s crazy right !?!? Like last year he had some good pivot moves in the low post .... this year he has no moves and if someone breathes on him in the post he flails and chucks it against the backboard as hard as he can. It blows my mind honestly.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PennZona20 wrote:
pokinmik wrote:How about his touch around the rim, lmao. I’ve never seen a D1 player chuck a ball against the backboard so many times like that. He legit has zero basketball skills. He should go to bed every night thanking god he is 7 feet tall and got an education out of it.
It’s crazy right !?!? Like last year he had some good pivot moves in the low post .... this year he has no moves and if someone breathes on him in the post he flails and chucks it against the backboard as hard as he can. It blows my mind honestly.
Jeter had back surgery while at Duke, and injured his back again last season. I don't have any insider knowledge, or a medical background, but from the eyeball test it looks like has not been 100% since his injury last season and may never be.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

pokinmik wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
pokinmik wrote:
Yea in a sane world all three of our stud freshman would return for their sophomore years. I watch the nba every night and none of them would be close to getting playing time right now outside of mop up duties down 20 with 3min left. I’d say green and zeke are closer than Nico right now. Green and zeke have a little more toughness to them.
Ultimately this is what does Miller in for me. If this were a decade or two ago this year would just be a growing year and you knew Nico, Josh, Zeke would just get better and more dominant with time and then you'd add whatever you could build around that core. This year would be just hoping for best case scenario and there would be hope for a brighter future. Instead they're all fricken leaving after one year and we have to depend on another year with a completely new group that ultimately won't take to the pack line because they all have little to no familiarity with it and it's going to be god damn Groundhog Day again and again and again. It'll never stop. We can't keep doing this, we just can't. The literal definition of insanity.
Totally agree. I’ve stuck with miller hard core his entire tenure. Defended him and AZ against all the east coast fans, but I have basically given up. The only thing providing a slimmer of hope is that this year is wide the fuck open in college basketball and maybe this team catches lightning in a bottle come March. Outside of Gonzaga and SDSU, maybe butler and Wichita state, every other team is going to lose a decent amount of games this year, and most already have.

This is 100% exactly where I’m at as well.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Beachcat97 wrote:Fair question: what has to happen the rest of the way this season for you to change your minds on Miller and want him to remain coach?
25ish wins, either pac reg season or post season champ or runner up and at least sweet 16 with a competitive loss.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:
Jeter had back surgery while at Duke, and injured his back again last season. I don't have any insider knowledge, or a medical background, but from the eyeball test it looks like has not been 100% since his injury last season and may never be.
That's what I think, too. But if so, isn't playing him significant minutes like this a white flag? If all of our post scoring comes from Nnaji and Jeter isn't rebounding, then what exactly are we risking by sitting him? Foul protection for Nnaji? Isn't time to go to our Koloko, Lee, and Gettings cards to find another solution to that other than playing four on five? (Or three on five when nobody at the 2 is defending or scoring?)
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

PennZona20 wrote:25ish wins, either pac reg season or post season champ or runner up and at least sweet 16 with a competitive loss.
So we can't lose 3 more games
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

PHXCATS wrote:Projected 6 seed as of today.

No where near the bubble
That projection assumes we win a lot of our remaining Pac games. You feeling confident that happens, PHX?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Jefe wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:25ish wins, either pac reg season or post season champ or runner up and at least sweet 16 with a competitive loss.
Which is entirely reasonable. Let's say we lose to Oregon plus two more road losses. That assumes as well that we win the Pac tourney, which feels unlikely at the moment.

Has everyone noticed that we haven't won a road game yet this year?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Projected 6 seed as of today.

No where near the bubble
That projection assumes we win a lot of our remaining Pac games. You feeling confident that happens, PHX?
Yeah why wouldn't the Cats win a lot of games? They have talent. Good offense. Good defense. Take care of the ball. Rebounding has been an issue at times but has gotten better. Got talent. So why not?
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Jefe wrote:

We will likely play at least 37 games if we make the S16 and pac tourney final.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

PennZona20 wrote:
Jefe wrote:

We will likely play at least 37 games if we make the S16 and pac tourney final.
If we are talking just regular season then 23-8 would be an acceptable record, maybe 22-9 if pac is stronger than expected.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Jefe wrote:
Which is entirely reasonable. Let's say we lose to Oregon plus two more road losses. That assumes as well that we win the Pac tourney, which feels unlikely at the moment.

Has everyone noticed that we haven't won a road game yet this year?

Yep! And that is quite fixable or it will be the end of this team...

After this last weekend I think they have pretty much been initiated and we should see something gel...

I know Colorado is trending now, but Miller has always had Tad "Boil"s number...
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

No where near the bubble for all the haters
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Hooray! Everything is fine!!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Hooray! Everything is fine!!
Fine depends on your goals.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

So risking $99.30 will get you $100 if the Cats make the tourney? Is that how this works?

Can I risk 70 cents to get $100 if the Cats don't make the tourney?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97 wrote:Hooray! Everything is fine!!
Who said that?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Jeter out Stone in
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Jefe wrote:Jeter out Stone in
Yea I think the main reason he kept Jeter in is he needed a veteran player to talk/communicate...but soooo soft...and not blocking out on the free throw line is so fundamental...

We don't have one of those "pound the floor and clap while talking to team with a high basketball IQ " guy this year...Ira Lee brings the passion but he is a turn-over waiting to happen or a foul just about to be called 50% of the time he's on the floor...
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

utah game thread is up
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Damn this place is quiet after a win.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Dosia wrote:Damn this place is quiet after a win.
HAHA yea some of those fans are still hanging out over the abyss...besides it rained tonite and fair-weather fans don't show up if its raining in Tucson, thats the equivalent of -30 windchill anywhere else.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Rebounding was an issue tonight but everything else was really good
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
HAHA yea some of those fans are still hanging out over the abyss...besides it rained tonite and fair-weather fans don't show up if its raining in Tucson, thats the equivalent of -30 windchill anywhere else.
Nothing about tonight changes the fact that this still isn't a good team.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
More accurate would be nothing last week at the Oregon schools changed the fact that this is a very good team
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Hater, is Saturday a big game. Please let us know before tipoff. I feel like you will say yes if Arizona loses but no if Arizona wins.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
Not to rain on anyones parade but if you subtract Hazzards 24 points the Utes outscored the rest of the UA by 8. If Max had his normal shooting night we might all be in mourning right now.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

dmjcat wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
Not to rain on anyones parade but if you subtract Hazzards 24 points the Utes outscored the rest of the UA by 8. If Max had his normal shooting night we might all be in mourning right now.
Congratulations on having the worst take of the day
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

PHXCATS wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
Congratulations on not recognizing the most realistic take of the day :lol:
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ASUHATER! wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
You are allowed to enjoy the good stuff.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

dmjcat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
If he was having a normal shooting night he would not have taken as many shots and other guys like Nico and Zeke would have taken said shots. Arizona dominated the game. Period
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

dmjcat wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
So your assumption is that if Hazzard didn't play, we would have missed every shot that others took in his place?

That's high level right there.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Not to rain on anyones parade but if you subtract Hazzards 24 points the Utes outscored the rest of the UA by 8. If Max had his normal shooting night we might all be in mourning right now.[/quote]

Congratulations on having the worst take of the day[/quote]

Congratulations on not recognizing the most realistic take of the day :lol:[/quote]

If he was having a normal shooting night he would not have taken as many shots and other guys like Nico and Zeke would have taken said shots. Arizona dominated the game. Period[/quote]

We beat them primarily because Hazzard shot out of his mind (we were over 50% from three). And if you think the outcome would have been the same with Nico taking those shots I suggest that you go back and look at Nicos 3 point shooting percentage over the past half dozen games.

It was a nice win for the fans after the Oregon nightmare. But lets not equate this win to beating the Golden State Warriors.

AZ needs to come out with their hair on fire Saturday. We don't have anyone who can guard Mckinley Wright.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I did not know that you had to take a certain number of three point attempts
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

dmjcat wrote:Not to rain on anyones parade but if you subtract Hazzards 24 points the Utes outscored the rest of the UA by 8. If Max had his normal shooting night we might all be in mourning right now.

If he was having a normal shooting night he would not have taken as many shots and other guys like Nico and Zeke would have taken said shots. Arizona dominated the game. Period
We beat them primarily because Hazzard shot out of his mind (we were over 50% from three). And if you think the outcome would have been the same with Nico taking those shots I suggest that you go back and look at Nicos 3 point shooting percentage over the past half dozen games.

It was a nice win for the fans after the Oregon nightmare. But lets not equate this win to beating the Golden State Warriors.

AZ needs to come out with their hair on fire Saturday. We don't have anyone who can guard Mckinley Wright.
I love the math of a zero sum game...apparently if Hazzard doesn't take the shots all the points go to Utah...its not like the UofA has other players who could just as easily gotten hot...

You cannot convince someone who doesn't want to see what they don't want to see.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dmjcat wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
You didn’t rain on anyone’s parade because this take is stupid and you’re a known troll.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

dmjcat wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:

Is it constantly raining at your house? Geez man. Cats were up 27 heading into the final TV TO and then got out scored 17-6 in that last segment. They finished the game by halftime, coasting and trading hoops on the second half.nice to have a breather in an ultra competitive conference for once. At least most of us are excited
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

:lol:

Sorry to inform you all, but if your taxi to the airport doesn’t show up and you get another taxi 20 minutes later and make your flight anyway, you’ll still lose the time it would take to take have three bowel movements, so you’ll shit your pants on the airplane.
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

Utah scored a lot of garbage points - it was a 27 point leader under four minutes FFS

Also, offensive flow was 100000X better without Jeter.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Chicat wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
You didn’t rain on anyone’s parade because this take is stupid and you’re a known troll.
Says the biggest troll on the board :lol: :lol: :lol: