Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Post by Beachcat97 »

4 FTs to win the game. 0-4. Nice.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Beachcat97 wrote:4 FTs to win the game. 0-4. Nice.

lol really?

lol. So glad I’m drunk and at a crab feed auction.

Fuck Miller.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Missed FTs, Miller overmanaging and DWWD. Took a lot for us to blow that one. Koloko's man got two baskets to end the game; Zeke had a great block sandwiched between those plays. Then you have the wrong guy on the floor on the offensive end and no timeouts to get Zeke in. And another Miller team that struggles to close games.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

We really have zero good wins this year, fellas. Say what you want about Colorado, USC, and ASU, but you know and I know that none of those teams is winning the league.

Miller’s teams always struggle to win close games. Always.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

AZCatGirl wrote:We had TWO chances to win at the line and we choke.

And some of you wonder why we're so negative?!
Yeah I don't you are a turd
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97 wrote:We really have zero good wins this year, fellas. Say what you want about Colorado, USC, and ASU, but you know and I know that none of those teams is winning the league.

So fucking stupid
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Beachcat97 wrote:We really have zero good wins this year, fellas. Say what you want about Colorado, USC, and ASU, but you know and I know that none of those teams is winning the league.

Yup he kills the fun.

No confidence.

East coast tough guy prick.

Fuck Miller.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

This loss is on the players.

Period!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

That vaunted miller offense taking the air out of the ball up 4 with 3 minutes left. That was when I knew we were fucked. Coach leading the charge to shit the bed again, and the players followed suit.

I am ready for the excuse train.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Good to have another quality home loss on the tourney resume.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

I need some ra ra cheerleaders to hit me with the if's and buts, and then tout our NET and KENPOM stats.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

This one seemed so predictable to me. I was glad when last season ended. I'm starting to feel this way with this season. Not giving up but my confidence in this team is circling the drain. Same with my confidence in Miller.
Last edited by Captain Obvious on Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KingG

Post by KingG »

pc in NM wrote:This loss is on the players.

Period!
Nope. Year to year our teams always play tight in close games. There’s no confidence in crunch time. That’s 100% on Miller and backed up by a decade of poor results when it matters most.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Altman>>>>>>>midmajor Miller.

At least Altman evolved from Creighton
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Old timers can vouch for me that I’m saying things here completely unlike I’ve ever said about Arizona basketball. I need to stop posting on the basketball board until after this season is over because I genuinely dislike this team. I’ve been a super fan for over 30 years, and I never imagined I’d feel this way, but the few times I’m able to bring myself to watch this team, I regret it. Mostly I just feel resentful they’re out there representing the program. They obviously aren’t the worst team we’ve had, but given their potential, they’re just ... I won’t say it. But I hope I don’t remember this season once it’s over, and I need to do better to forget about this season now. I really wish most of these players were on different teams so I could feel better rooting against them.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Captain Obvious wrote:This one seemed so predictable to me. I was glad when last season ended. I'm starting to feel this way with this season. Not giving up but my confidence in this team is circling the drain. Same with my confidence in Miller.
I have no confidence with any Sean Miller coached team that doesn't have a T.J. McConnell or Derrick Williams to save him.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote:This one seemed so predictable to me. I was glad when last season ended. I'm starting to feel this way with this season. Not giving up but my confidence in this team is circling the drain. Same with my confidence in Miller.
I have no confidence with any Sean Miller coached team that doesn't have a T.J. McConnell or Derrick Williams to save him.

Yeah I agree. Those two made Miller appear to be a much better coach than he really is. Not having those types of quality players has revealed his average at best coaching. He's an excellent recruiter but managing talent is another story altogether. So frustrating.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Longhorned wrote:Old timers can vouch for me that I’m saying things here completely unlike I’ve ever said about Arizona basketball. I need to stop posting on the basketball board until after this season is over because I genuinely dislike this team. I’ve been a super fan for over 30 years, and I never imagined I’d feel this way, but the few times I’m able to bring myself to watch this team, I regret it. Mostly I just feel resentful they’re out there representing the program. They obviously aren’t the worst team we’ve had, but given their potential, they’re just ... I won’t say it. But I hope I don’t remember this season once it’s over, and I need to do better to forget about this season now. I really wish most of these players were on different teams so I could feel better rooting against them.
I feel ya, LH. I'm sorry, man. Like most of us, I had very high hopes for this team, and they continue to disappoint again and again.

Seeing them in person lose to St. John's was an omen of what was ahead.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote:Old timers can vouch for me that I’m saying things here completely unlike I’ve ever said about Arizona basketball. I need to stop posting on the basketball board until after this season is over because I genuinely dislike this team. I’ve been a super fan for over 30 years, and I never imagined I’d feel this way, but the few times I’m able to bring myself to watch this team, I regret it. Mostly I just feel resentful they’re out there representing the program. They obviously aren’t the worst team we’ve had, but given their potential, they’re just ... I won’t say it. But I hope I don’t remember this season once it’s over, and I need to do better to forget about this season now. I really wish most of these players were on different teams so I could feel better rooting against them.
I'm thoroughly relieved my children are so young and couldn't give a shit less about Arizona Basketball right now. I have such fond memories enjoying Arizona basketball win or lose with my father and brother. I lost that loving feeling with this program and I'm glad I don't have to torture my son's with this. Hopefully one day I'll fall back in love with Arizona basketball and I can share that with my boys, but I highly doubt that'll ever be the case again.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Not that it matters, but on a day that we had our last chance for a good reg season win slip away, Bill Self's Jayhawks went into Waco and beat the number one team in the country. There was a time when we were about even with KU. We competed for the same recruits. We both won a lot of league titles and got deep in the tourney. A decade in to Miller's tenure at UofA (and over 15 into Self's at KU), it's depressing to see how starkly these two programs' paths diverged.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I’ll go to my grave disagreeing with each and every one of you who says Miller is a good recruiter. The recruiting is the foundation of the problem. A team with a lead really should be able to use up clock in final two minutes.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
I'm thoroughly relieved my children are so young and couldn't give a shit less about Arizona Basketball right now. I have such fond memories enjoying Arizona basketball win or lose with my father and brother. I lost that loving feeling with this program and I'm glad I don't have to torture my son's with this. Hopefully one day I'll fall back in love with Arizona basketball and I can share that with my boys, but I highly doubt that'll ever be the case again.
the women's team is doing some pretty special things right now.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Fair weather
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

What lh, beach, and choo said...I am right there with them.

Mid major Miller is not the answer.

This season is the nails in the coffin for that thought for me.

I’m done.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

PHXCATS wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Fair weather
once again proving you know basically nothing.

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ChooChooCat wrote:

My son is a senior at UofA and he's past the point of caring. I was thinking about Vegas for a father/son trip but glad I didn't book anything. I find myself caring less and less about basketball (and football) every year.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

UAEebs86 wrote: I find myself caring less and less about basketball (and football) every year.
Doesn't that just suck though, UAE?

We've never really been much of a football program, but basketball has always been our "proud tradition." Lute Olson built a championship program, and it lasted for multiple decades. The long, steady regression to the middle under Miller's watch has been death by a thousand wounds. A slow, painful decline.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

UAEebs86 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

My son is a senior at UofA and he's past the point of caring. I was thinking about Vegas for a father/son trip but glad I didn't book anything. I find myself caring less and less about basketball (and football) every year.
These seniors will graduate having never had anything to hook them to the tradition. As freshman classes come in, there’s no upperclassmen who care enough to provide the example. This is why the Zona Zoo is dying. Something needs to save the tradition, but it can’t be the alumni. The program needs players who can win.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I get it and I'm very happy for them, but it's not nor will it ever be the same.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

These seniors will graduate having never had anything to hook them to the tradition. As freshman classes come in, there’s no upperclassmen who care enough to provide the example. This is why the Zona Zoo is dying. Something needs to save the tradition, but it can’t be the alumni. The program needs players who can win.
The program needs players who care about the program.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Biggest impression I'm left with is the mental make up of this team is Pathetic. Find ways to lose and Choke terribly down the stretch. Supposed one and dones, 1st rounders Mannion and Green, 1 of 5 from FT in stretch with Green bricking 2 at end of regulation is inexcusable plain and simple. They're both 80% or better on the year and at home, flat out Embarrassing.
Gut check for sure in LA and I'm betting they're swept.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

It was a lonnnnnngggggggg drive back from Tucson to Mesa. Thoughts:

1) Payton Pritchard is the PAC12 MVP hands down
2) Altman >>>> Miller
3) Who would have thought in January that the hottest teams in the PAC12 would be playing each other
on thursday and those teams would be asu/UCLA??
4) Looking ahead I think UO/Colo/UCLA sweep their remaining games to finish 1/2/3 in the conference.
The battle will be for #4 between asu/UA. We need to find a way to win Thursday in the Galen
center and then hope asu is swept. That would tie us with asu (I'm not sure who wins the tiebreakers
at that point). As of this minute its likely we finish no better than 5th and end up playing on Wedn.
in Vegas. An 8/9 seed in the NCAA tourney is looking very likely from where I am sitting
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Stone Gettings:
“You learn a lot from these close games. As anything else, it’s adversity and it really helps us grow.”

3 freshmen played 37 minutes. Koloko played 16.

Anyone want to cut bait?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ramcat wrote:Biggest impression I'm left with is the mental make up of this team is Pathetic. Find ways to lose and Choke terribly down the stretch. Supposed one and dones, 1st rounders Mannion and Green, 1 of 5 from FT in stretch with Green bricking 2 at end of regulation is inexcusable plain and simple. They're both 80% or better on the year and at home, flat out Embarrassing.
Mercenaries, all of them.

Miller is not a good recruiter.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

CalStateTempe wrote:
ramcat wrote:Biggest impression I'm left with is the mental make up of this team is Pathetic. Find ways to lose and Choke terribly down the stretch. Supposed one and dones, 1st rounders Mannion and Green, 1 of 5 from FT in stretch with Green bricking 2 at end of regulation is inexcusable plain and simple. They're both 80% or better on the year and at home, flat out Embarrassing.
Mercenaries, all of them.

Miller is not a good recruiter.
Then why are you watching?

Quite possibly the weakest, stupidest take I’ve read on this board. And there have been some masterful ones. Wow.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Miller is obviously a good recruiter. His ability to build a formidable roster? That’s another question altogether. The pieces have to fit.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

If your recruiting talent that doesn’t fit your system or can coach up the place the talent your recruit into a position where they can maximize their talent....well...

I’m more of a sum of the parts type of guy rather than a “wow we got some five stars!!!” That can’t perform in millers system.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Is this one Miller’s fault too?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:

How about the slow down offense, which led to zero points in the last 3 minutes?

His guys missed those free throws yes, but the point is Arizona shouldn't have needed to be in position to make those free throws to win or tie the god damn game.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:

Absolutely. He's the head coach, he takes blame for every loss
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:

Yup he kills the fun.

No confidence.

East coast tough guy prick.

Fuck Miller.
This is why I avoid this board like the plague after a loss.

All you mean girls enjoying filling in the Burn Book? Fucking calm down Regina...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

We are due for a close out win. It's the law of averages.

I'm still holding out hope that the averages turn in March.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:We are due for a close out win. It's the law of averages.

I'm still holding out hope that the averages turn in March.
You get your Pepperdine game and you like it. No more soup for you.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

My sentiments exactly except it's 20 years instead of 30 hah. I just don't care about this team. I have watched 2 complete games all season and maybe parts of half a dozen others.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote:
IndianaZonaFan wrote:

How about the slow down offense, which led to zero points in the last 3 minutes?

His guys missed those free throws yes, but the point is Arizona shouldn't have needed to be in position to make those free throws to win or tie the god damn game.

I have never understood the prevent offense/defense. Like Lou Holtz used to say, the only thing the prevent defense does is prevent victory.

You do what you do to get a lead, then you change what you do?

Remember when the UA fans were ready to storm the field v. Oregon, and Stoops goes into the prevent defense IN THE THIRD QUARTER!!!! Huge choke.

pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Merkin wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
IndianaZonaFan wrote:

I have never understood the prevent offense/defense. Like Lou Holtz used to say, the only thing the prevent defense does is prevent victory.

You do what you do to get a lead, then you change what you do?

Remember when the UA fans were ready to storm the field v. Oregon, and Stoops goes into the prevent defense IN THE THIRD QUARTER!!!! Huge choke.

1) Mannion missed 2 of three FT’s....

2) Miller tried to substitute for Koloko, when we successfully defended - but he was denied.... Koloko is the better defender.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

If only we had a timeout....
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

scumdevils86 wrote:
My sentiments exactly except it's 20 years instead of 30 hah. I just don't care about this team. I have watched 2 complete games all season and maybe parts of half a dozen others.
So thankful for you coming in and saying that.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I have come to the conclusion the Cats don't have what it takes to win close games. We don't have a leader, like Pritchard, who can make good things happen at the end of a game with the ball in his hands. For some reason Mannion becomes timid and lacks confidence when it is time to take over. I predict the Cats won't move past the first weekend of the NCAA tourney.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Alieberman wrote:If only we had a timeout....
You get one extra in OT. UA took theirs down 1 with 42 seconds left and drew up a play to score to take the lead. We really gonna cry about that?