let's talk '21

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Alieberman

Re: let's talk '21

Post by Alieberman »

ChooChooCat wrote:Anyways is it 3pm Tucson time yet?
Interesting.... I'm guessing good news in 19 minutes?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Anyways is it 3pm Tucson time yet?
Interesting.... I'm guessing good news in 19 minutes?
I don’t know how to tell time cause I R dumb. I meant 4pm.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

DeZona!!!!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Last edited by ChooChooCat on Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
-JB
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

UAEebs86 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Sweet!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:[tweet] https://twitter.com/iamshanedezonie/sta ... 2222212103" target="_blank[/tweet]
Out of curiosity, why does this seem to work when I post from my desktop, but when I do from my phone I get this?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:[tweet] https://twitter.com/iamshanedezonie/sta ... 2222212103" target="_blank[/tweet]
Out of curiosity, why does this seem to work when I post from my desktop, but when I do from my phone I get this?
It might have something to do with your browser or app needing an upgrade. That's what I would check.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Remove the space between "[tweet]" and "https:" at the beginning. That should do it.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Remove the space between "[tweet]" and "https:" at the beginning. That should do it.
Ahhh, didn't even see that. It consistently happens when I paste the link on my phone though, so weird. Thanks Chi.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Shane Nowell announcing on Halloween.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ChooChooCat wrote:Shane Nowell announcing on Halloween.
Trick or Treat?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:
Trick or Treat?
Treat.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
Trick or Treat?
Treat.
Sounds good.

Someone mentioned this in the other thread, but even with all the NOA meshugas, our recruiting seems largely unaffected. We’re not getting 5-stars, but I’m not even sure we’re recruiting many of these players.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
Trick or Treat?
Treat.
Sounds good.

Someone mentioned this in the other thread, but even with all the NOA meshugas, our recruiting seems largely unaffected. We’re not getting 5-stars, but I’m not even sure we’re recruiting many of these players.
Honestly here’s the reality we’re facing:

1. No one knows how the IARP will handle things. They may be extremely lenient, they may be harsher. If you like a staff and a school there’s no reason not to go there unless you fear the coaching staff will be canned soon because...
2. Every one is going to be able to transfer once with zero penalty soon and even if that doesn’t get passed the NCAA is approving immediate waivers at such a ridiculously high rate that nobody is worried of having to sit out, especially if they’re transferring out due to their old school getting the NCAA hammer. Honestly these guys we’re landing probably stay regardless of a NCAA hammer (pending on how severe the penalties) if they’re happy with their playing time situation.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Honestly here’s the reality we’re facing:

1. No one knows how the IARP will handle things. They may be extremely lenient, they may be harsher. If you like a staff and a school there’s no reason not to go there unless you fear the coaching staff will be canned soon because...
2. Every one is going to be able to transfer once with zero penalty soon and even if that doesn’t get passed the NCAA is approving immediate waivers at such a ridiculously high rate that nobody is worried of having to sit out, especially if they’re transferring out due to their old school getting the NCAA hammer. Honestly these guys we’re landing probably stay regardless of a NCAA hammer (pending on how severe the penalties) if they’re happy with their playing time situation.
That all makes sense, Choo. If I had to guess, the IARP will not come down harsher on us than on other programs. Either we're all getting penalized, or none of us is. I can't see them making an example of one program.

And yeah, I get your point about playing time and the enduring appeal of AZ and other programs. Any way you cut it, AZ will remain an appealing choice for many high level recruits. Does Miller make AZ more appealing? Less appealing? I'm inclined to think more, but I also think a new coach, if it comes to that, could be just as appealing.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well assuming Nowell commits, that would give us 3 with a target of 4. Who would we be hoping for? If not a name, what position?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

azcat49 wrote:Well assuming Nowell commits, that would give us 3 with a target of 4. Who would we be hoping for? If not a name, what position?
Is Traore a legitimate option?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:Well assuming Nowell commits, that would give us 3 with a target of 4. Who would we be hoping for? If not a name, what position?
A post of some kind. I don’t have names at the moment, or at least none that are likely.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:
Is Traore a legitimate option?
Nah, think Dezonie ended that one for good.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Choo just a big thx for all the info. This year sucks balls and talking sports is about the only distraction left. Even sports has had a huge impact as we all know.

My initial thought is Brown, Tubelis snd Koloko would all be back but maybe if one of the first two has a big year, we could lose them to a pro league. I can’t imaging AT coming across the world without thinking he wants a shot at the NBA so he would be to me a two year guy
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

2:30 Tucson Time.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Good looking bunch of kids. Can’t wait to see them in action.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Alieberman wrote:
Good deal!
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Use the embed code.

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

:D cool vid
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

There's a major Xavier-ish type vibe here with this recruiting class.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Obviously we've got to deal with the dark cloud that's been hanging over the program for an unfair amount of time. Justice delayed is justice denied, and all that. It seems that the likely scenario many people are predicting is that we'll get this kind of hybrid season in, with whatever restrictions remain in place for fans, and then get some ruling impacting next year's team. Meanwhile, we're currently at the limit of 13 scholarship players, and we have two seniors, and three incoming recruits, so you do the math. From those situations, I have a few questions for message board speculation:

1.) Is our recruiting complete, or do we add even more in anticipation of transfers over any possible sanctions? (If you add another post, as was speculated earlier, then you're absolutely forcing people out. But, maybe that's like Lute "helping" lesser players find better situations.)
2.) Do we expect anybody on our current roster to declare for the draft early? (Hard for me to see that, other than possibly Jordan Brown, unless Azoulas Tubellas turns out to be an under-the-radar Euro one-and-done.)
3.) How the hell does anybody effectively deal with all of the uncertainty? I think, despite his post-season failings, you have to give Miller some credit for holding this together. Between the NCAA's delays, the bad publicity, and the relaxed transfer rules, the whole situation is unbelievably fluid.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TheCatInTheHat wrote:Obviously we've got to deal with the dark cloud that's been hanging over the program for an unfair amount of time. Justice delayed is justice denied, and all that. It seems that the likely scenario many people are predicting is that we'll get this kind of hybrid season in, with whatever restrictions remain in place for fans, and then get some ruling impacting next year's team. Meanwhile, we're currently at the limit of 13 scholarship players, and we have two seniors, and three incoming recruits, so you do the math. From those situations, I have a few questions for message board speculation:

1.) Is our recruiting complete, or do we add even more in anticipation of transfers over any possible sanctions? (If you add another post, as was speculated earlier, then you're absolutely forcing people out. But, maybe that's like Lute "helping" lesser players find better situations.)
2.) Do we expect anybody on our current roster to declare for the draft early? (Hard for me to see that, other than possibly Jordan Brown, unless Azoulas Tubellas turns out to be an under-the-radar Euro one-and-done.)
3.) How the hell does anybody effectively deal with all of the uncertainty? I think, despite his post-season failings, you have to give Miller some credit for holding this together. Between the NCAA's delays, the bad publicity, and the relaxed transfer rules, the whole situation is unbelievably fluid.
1. As far as I know we still intend to add a post of some type, but there's no rush.
2. Tubelis could declare for the draft, maybe Brown, maybe even one of the frosh wings all pending on performances.
3. Liquor?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

ChooChooCat wrote:There's a major Xavier-ish type vibe here with this recruiting class.

Is that good or bad? Lower rated class than we want or great because we should see some extended development from these guys?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:There's a major Xavier-ish type vibe here with this recruiting class.

Is that good or bad? Lower rated class than we want or great because we should see some extended development from these guys?
Take your pick. Totally TBD.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

That's one way to deal with Mick.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
That's one way to deal with Mick.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

azcat49 wrote:

Good by me. Sean needs more Xavier and less Kentucky to be successful imo.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

threenumberones wrote:
azcat49 wrote:

Maybe, maybe not. I would take those '13-'14 and '14-'15 teams over his Xavier squads. Part of his problem is that he whiffed on some recruits, and had transfers and/or early NBA departures that impacted the depth, experience, and consistency of those post-'15 line-ups. Still, your point is well-taken, I would much rather see depth and experience a la Virginia and Villanova moving forward than trying to keep up with Duke and Kentucky, which isn't even a possibility at this point. The biggest beneficiary of all of this has arguably been Oregon, not because it is a better or more desirable program, but because guys who want to stay out west and that think AZ is toxic are largely looking at the next best thing, i.e. Oregon and UCLA.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Why is AZ toxic? No one lost a tourney year and it might impact one year in the future and it’s easy to transfer. Just trying to understand why we are toxic but say KU or USC isn’t?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azcat49 wrote:Why is AZ toxic? No one lost a tourney year and it might impact one year in the future and it’s easy to transfer. Just trying to understand why we are toxic but say KU or USC isn’t?
Ask this guy:

prh

Post by prh »

If we could fill our roster with guys with the attitudes of his Xavier teams, with an increase in talent reasonable to AZ, that seems like the dream.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

midnightx wrote:
threenumberones wrote:
azcat49 wrote:

Maybe, maybe not. I would take those '13-'14 and '14-'15 teams over his Xavier squads. Part of his problem is that he whiffed on some recruits, and had transfers and/or early NBA departures that impacted the depth, experience, and consistency of those post-'15 line-ups. Still, your point is well-taken, I would much rather see depth and experience a la Virginia and Villanova moving forward than trying to keep up with Duke and Kentucky, which isn't even a possibility at this point. The biggest beneficiary of all of this has arguably been Oregon, not because it is a better or more desirable program, but because guys who want to stay out west and that think AZ is toxic are largely looking at the next best thing, i.e. Oregon and UCLA.
If 'maybe, maybe not' means there will be a flash in the pan every few years then absolutely. Players like TJ mask weaknesses that Sean has...unfortunately it's hard to manufacture a TJ every other year. In the end Sean is a system guy who needs system-oriented players to succeed. Sure it would be nice to have a 5* sprinkled in, but if I had to choose between them I'd go with the blue collar crowd. You would see more sustained success under Miller, and I don't even think there is a glass ceiling with that approach as long as he gets his kind of recruits.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

There are few AZ players during Miller's tenure more important than TJ, and one could make the argument he's #1.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Sorry posted to wrong thread
Last edited by UAEebs86 on Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
-JB
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

threenumberones wrote:
midnightx wrote:
threenumberones wrote:
azcat49 wrote:

If 'maybe, maybe not' means there will be a flash in the pan every few years then absolutely. Players like TJ mask weaknesses that Sean has...unfortunately it's hard to manufacture a TJ every other year. In the end Sean is a system guy who needs system-oriented players to succeed. Sure it would be nice to have a 5* sprinkled in, but if I had to choose between them I'd go with the blue collar crowd. You would see more sustained success under Miller, and I don't even think there is a glass ceiling with that approach as long as he gets his kind of recruits.
To your point, I don't think that players like TJ mask Miller's weaknesses. My opinion on Miller varies wildly from the popular point of view of the fanbase. I don't like sentimental hires, I don't like nepotism. Few guys are up to the task to take on the real responsibilities of being the Arizona head coach. Miller has always impressed me in that regard, especially considering I thought he was a lightweight when he was hired.

When you look at Lute's record, what you will find is an incredible wealth of talent at the point guard position. As great as TJ was for our program, he's a third of the player that JT was, and that's being generous. Miller was a few good breaks from having three final fours and a national title without having a bona fide stud point guard. For every final four that Lute had he had a tag team of outstanding point guards (Kerr-Lofton, Stoudamire-Reeves, Bibby-Terry, Gardner,Arenas). Miller has not even remotely come close to having that level on talent on his teams. If he had the feeling about him would be very different.

The interesting thing about Miller is that two things seem to have plagued him as coach of Arizona: bad luck and staff attrition. Having Brandon Ashley, Ray Smith and Brandon Williams available would have changed the trajectory of Miller's tenure at Arizona. Furthermore, the staff that he has lost since becoming coach (Archie, Damon, Joseph Blair, Pasternack, Romar) are critical building blocks to a program. Most of the guys have unique pedigrees that simply cannot be duplicated. That's the problem when you run a successful program, everybody wants a piece of your staff. Guys like Archie and Romar can't be replaced, there are no additions to the staff that would supplant what they bring to the table.

For what it's worth, it appears that Miller has figured out his point guard problem. He also is finding guys who fit his system who are more aligned with his philosophies and values. It's tough from the beginning because he was in a candy store choosing all these athletic supermodels, but what he learned is that you without staying true to his core base of values in terms of recruiting, he would endure countless headaches dealing with high maintenance players.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

FYI signing day is Wednesday.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:01 am FYI signing day is Wednesday.
We looking to add before then? Or keep it at 3 until spring?

Edit: changed to 3... forgot about Simpson. Only counted the Shanes
Last edited by IndianaZonaFan on Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

After consulting with my family and my creator, I've decided I'm decommitting. Please respect my decision.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:44 am
We looking to add before then? Or keep it at 3 until spring?

Edit: changed to 3... forgot about Simpson. Only counted the Shanes
Yeah it'll just be the 3. If a 4th is added it won't be until spring.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »