Zeke Nnaji

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Catintheheat

Re: Zeke Nnaji

Post by Catintheheat »

Merkin wrote:I never watch the NBA, but is he a real prospect for a one and done?
If Zeke improves much more he may have a chance to be the #1 pick.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Averaging about 22/7 so far
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Somebody whinged and farted several posts back.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

enfuego wrote:
RichardCranium wrote:
84Cat wrote:Here's at look at where Nnaji's scoring output in his first two games ranks among other UA standouts from the past 20 years:
Chase Budinger: 49 points
Hassan Adams: 43 points
Zeke Nnaji: 39 points
Lauri Markkanen: 39 points
Jerryd Bayless: 39 points
Deandre Ayton: 38 points
Mike Bibby: 35 points
Kobi Simmons: 31 points
Allonzo Trier: 30 points
Solomon Hill: 29 points
Aaron Gordon: 27 points
Mustafa Shakur: 27 points
Jason Gardner: 26 points
Stanley Johnson: 25 points
Gilbert Arenas: 24 points
Derrick Williams: 18 points
Richard Jefferson: 11 points

https://arizonawildcats.com/news/2019/1 ... night.aspx" target="_blank
Money and Norman would both be somewhere around the 30 point mark - and there was no 3 point line. In 1972 Norman was top scorer with 37 in the exhibition against Cal State Bakersfield. Then Money was top with 20 in a loss against San Francisco and Norman was top with 20 in a loss against Stanford. I can't see what they got when they were not top, but I'm sure they had to have gotten 10 or more.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... edule.html" target="_blank

Norman always got most of his points from a million miles out - oh for a three point line back then.

Edit: I don't know how that sports-reference site figures we got 13,000 people into Bear Down Gym. I think the 3,200 they list at the start of the season was a stretch.
Since you brought up money, can you explain the following to me?

Tarczewski - Kansas lean, picks Arizona.
Ayton - Kansas lean, picks Arizona.
Nnaji - Kansas lean, picks Arizona.
They didn't want to play where they'd be useless and in the middle of nowhere in bumfuck Kansas.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Merkin wrote:I never watch the NBA, but is he a real prospect for a one and done?
The trouble for Zeke will be his lack of wingspan and what that means for his rim protection and rebounding. He's a 7'1" wingspan on a 6'11" height. You can see in his numbers so far that he's got mediocre advanced stats in blocks and rebounding - if that keeps up through the season then there's going to be some real risk for a team that he's an excellent college basketball player but is questionable for the NBA.

Without the length... can you play him at the five?
Without perimeter skills... can you play him at the four?

He's not going to get longer so he needs to develop a three point shot and some perimeter ball handling skills in order to get higher into the first round. Otherwise he's a late first round pick / early second who will need to develop those skills in the NBA to have a shot at PT at the four in the NBA. He's a fluid athlete with nice touch, a great motor, and a high IQ... so the ingredients are there. But without either the length or the perimeter skills its tough to see him breaking through "fringe first round" status heading into the draft.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

less talented Marvin Bagley?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I wonder what he looks like in practice against Jeter. Because no one yet on any other team has been able to come close to stopping him.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

RondaeShimmy wrote:less talented Marvin Bagley?
Not a bad call at all. Yeah Nnaji lacks the perimeter skill and the elite athleticism and motor of Bagley. Very good athlete and motor, far lower in perimeter skills. I don't think he'll ever catch up in the first department but Nnaji could develop the perimeter skills - just won't be likely this season.

I could see a team falling in love with him in a draft interview and workout though and taking Zeke in the 20's.

Then again - Zach Collins and TJ Leaf were top 20 picks so I could be underselling our guy.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

RichardCranium wrote:
84Cat wrote:Here's at look at where Nnaji's scoring output in his first two games ranks among other UA standouts from the past 20 years:

Money and Norman would both be somewhere around the 30 point mark - and there was no 3 point line. In 1972 Norman was top scorer with 37 in the exhibition against Cal State Bakersfield. Then Money was top with 20 in a loss against San Francisco and Norman was top with 20 in a loss against Stanford. I can't see what they got when they were not top, but I'm sure they had to have gotten 10 or more.

Norman always got most of his points from a million miles out - oh for a three point line back then.

Edit: I don't know how that sports-reference site figures we got 13,000 people into Bear Down Gym. I think the 3,200 they list at the start of the season was a stretch.
I was in middle school during the early Snowden years and we went to many of the games. Money & Norman were so fun to watch but it was a different game back then. 20 to's a game and very little defense. If Norman had a 3 point line, he could have averaged 30+ ppg.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

enfuego wrote:
RichardCranium wrote:

Since you brought up money, can you explain the following to me?

Tarczewski - Kansas lean, picks Arizona.
Ayton - Kansas lean, picks Arizona.
Nnaji - Kansas lean, picks Arizona.
Josh Jackson - Arizona lean, picks Kansas.

Fuck off.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

YoDeFoe wrote:
The trouble for Zeke will be his lack of wingspan and what that means for his rim protection and rebounding. He's a 7'1" wingspan on a 6'11" height. You can see in his numbers so far that he's got mediocre advanced stats in blocks and rebounding - if that keeps up through the season then there's going to be some real risk for a team that he's an excellent college basketball player but is questionable for the NBA.

He's not going to get longer so he needs to develop a three point shot and some perimeter ball handling skills in order to get higher into the first round. Otherwise he's a late first round pick / early second who will need to develop those skills in the NBA to have a shot at PT at the four in the NBA. He's a fluid athlete with nice touch, a great motor, and a high IQ... so the ingredients are there. But without either the length or the perimeter skills its tough to see him breaking through "fringe first round" status heading into the draft.
Agree with you on what he needs to add.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:

Perfect summation YDF.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

game - 3

21mins - 8-8fg - 10-12ft - 11rb - 2ast - 1blk - 2to - 26pts
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Zeke the Freak.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I knew he'd be good but wow, this is ridiculous. He is torching my expectations.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I know that officially he was 8-8 but didn’t he miss a lob from Nico? Does that go as a turnover and not a shot?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:

I was happy to see 11 rebounds last night. If that becomes more the norm, he'll do a lot for his draft stock getting out of that tweener range.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

He's a good basketball player...really good.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Thru 3 games:

Chase Budinger: 68 points
Zeke Nnaji: 65 points
Lauri Markkanen: 61 points
Jerryd Bayless: 59 points
Deandre Ayton: 56 points
Hassan Adams: 53 points
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:

I was happy to see 11 rebounds last night. If that becomes more the norm, he'll do a lot for his draft stock getting out of that tweener range.
Yeah his rebounding rate made a big jump after last night. Not sure he can keep up that kind of production against higher level bigs. We'll see in our games against Baylor and Gonzaga.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Jefe wrote:Thru 3 games:

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ghostwhitehorse wrote:

I don't mean to take away from Nnaji, who looks great, but a certain percentage of that is attributable to a ginger PG, who would have given us a natty in Markannen's year.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

This is just bad journalism. Crazy that there is no mention of Nnaji on this list of Freshmen is a joke.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... irst-week/
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Let’s not use the term “ginger”.

Instead, let’s say .... ”arancione“.

Seems more appropriate.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Frybry02 wrote:This is just bad journalism. Crazy that there is no mention of Nnaji on this list of Freshmen is a joke.

I won’t excuse the bad journalism, but the SID needs to be in the ear of some of these outlets promoting Arizona. It’s laughable that Zeke hasn’t been noticed. I guarantee that Illinois and San Jose are saying, “Fuck, those Arizona freshmen are unbelievable.”
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

ghostwhitehorse wrote:

Six to midnight.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

zonagrad wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:This is just bad journalism. Crazy that there is no mention of Nnaji on this list of Freshmen is a joke.

I won’t excuse the bad journalism, but the SID needs to be in the ear of some of these outlets promoting Arizona. It’s laughable that Zeke hasn’t been noticed. I guarantee that Illinois and San Jose are saying, “Fuck, those Arizona freshmen are unbelievable.”
Definitely a "preseason hype" influenced list.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

zonagrad wrote:

They're just assessing the top incoming freshmen based on incoming class ranking. It's okay.

Zeke deserves note though but it would be helpful if we played a game on something other than the Pac-12 network.

We'll have to wait until the Wooden Legacy games for ESPN coverage. Competition won't be attention grabbing with a couple 100-ish teams in Pepperdine and UCF to start. Beating Providence in the finals will get some attention but they're still in the bottom half of the Big East. We'll then have a marquee match-up at Baylor... at 10am on ESPNU. For fucks sake.

At least there will be highlights all day on ESPN of us... here's hoping it goes well.
terryarms

Post by terryarms »

ghostwhitehorse wrote:
Zeke should be at 20 rebounds
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

So I used to listen to osp, titus' pod, now I suffer through Parrish's pod.

I find it interesting he has nothing to say about nnaji. He talks about way less interesting or impressive performances. I think his motto must be, if you can't say anything bad about Arizona, say nothing about them at all.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

I thought he could be a lottery pick in the summer. Now I’m not so sure he can’t go top 5. Zeke will definitely be quite coveted in the upcoming draft.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Zeke Nnaji's incredible shooting accuracy might be unsustainable, but even 'his' normal is likely abnormal
Arizona is in the enviable position of having a battle on its hands for the title of most amazing freshman. Nico Mannion, for example, has been sensational, scoring 23 points on 9-of-15 shooting in the Wildcats' impressively easy 90-69 win over Illinois in Tucson.

Still, when recognizing outstanding first-year performances on Sean Miller's roster, it's awfully tough to look past the guy that is shooting 84% on his 2s.

Yes, 84%. Eat your heart out, Zion Williamson. Zeke Nnaji scoffs at your pitifully pedestrian 75% shooting inside the arc last season.

Now, will Nnaji continue to make 84% of his 2s? Why must people always be so skeptical, but, no, probably not. The only thing even more incredible than connecting 84% of the time inside the arc is to record a 77% success rate specifically on 2-point jumpers. That is precisely what the 6-foot-11 freshman has done after his first three games. Conversely, a more typical level of accuracy for that particular shot type in Division I is something around 36%.

So, yes, Nnaji might be looking at a correction in both his 2-point jumper accuracy and his overall 2-point success rate. Nevertheless, the early indications are that his level of production is no accident. So far, Nnaji has recorded 58% of his 2-point attempts at the rim. That's not quite on the same insane level as what we saw from Williamson last year (86% of his 2-point tries occurred at the tin), but it is still outstanding.

Nnaji and Mannion might indeed prove to be one of the better inside-outside freshman duos we've seen in recent years.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... akes-prove" target="_blank
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Before anointing him the second coming, have you played anyone yet?
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

enfuego wrote:Before anointing him the second coming, have you played anyone yet?
https://www.instagram.com/p/B47DuxYHQG- ... svsao3ao1o" target="_blank
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

7-7 from the field, 5-5 from the line.

Zeke is a one name athlete
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

enfuego wrote:Before anointing him the second coming, have you played anyone yet?
I’m still trying to figure out if Baker is ever going to play.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Just give him Pac freshman of the year now. Good Lord he's unreal.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm still wondering about that wet firecracker up your rectum.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
I’m still trying to figure out if Baker is ever going to play.

:lol:
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Your disease is magnificent, enfuego!

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

2nd highest FG % in the nation.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote:2nd highest FG % in the nation.
That's only because he gets any shot he wants.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

game - 4

29mins - 7-7fg - 5-5ft - 4rb - 1st - 2blk - 3to - 19pts
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Has made 17 field goals in a row.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:Has made 17 field goals in a row.
Team record? NCAA record is 30... let's get it, Zeke!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

FTs impressive too for a big man being 15 feet away.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Someone upthread compared him to M Bagley. It's a good comparison. Similar size and athleticism. Zeke probably doesn't have quite the overall skill set of MB, but there are definitely some similarities.

Zeke the Freak. So excited about him and this team.

Bear Down!
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

It's going to be shocking when he eventually misses a shot.
Kiyama

Post by Kiyama »

He just seems to have an excellent Bball IQ, he is patient and I do not recall him taking a bad shot (or any silly fouls). As others have pointed out, I wish he had a few more rebounds a game.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Kiyama wrote:He just seems to have an excellent Bball IQ, he is patient and I do not recall him taking a bad shot (or any silly fouls). As others have pointed out, I wish he had a few more rebounds a game.
He'd probably have a few more rebounds if he missed a few more shots during the games.

I'll take the never missing a shot :lol:
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update: