Wildcat Radio: 1290

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

JMarkJohns

Wildcat Radio: 1290

Post by JMarkJohns »

I was in today. Will be on again next week.

I think it’ll become sorta regular. At least a few more times get the next few months.

I’ll post here day of my airings.

On Iron Mike Luke show
scumdevils86

Re: Wildcat Radio: 1290

Post by scumdevils86 »

I haven't listened to them for a long time (well maybe almost a year). Is Kevin Woodman not doing it anymore?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

scumdevils86 wrote:I haven't listened to them for a long time (well maybe almost a year). Is Kevin Woodman not doing it anymore?
He is. His and Mike’s show.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Does 1290 stream? Gotta link?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

RichardCranium wrote:Does 1290 stream? Gotta link?
https://www.iheart.com/live/wildcats-radio-1290am-5393/" target="_blank
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Nice, would love to listen in. Just b-ball or all AZ sports?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

azcat49 wrote:Nice, would love to listen in. Just b-ball or all AZ sports?
Basketball and Suns were the topics and likely the consistent topics
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

JMJ,

Let us know ahead of time next time. Would love to listen in.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

JMarkJohns wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Nice, would love to listen in. Just b-ball or all AZ sports?
Basketball and Suns were the topics and likely the consistent topics

I will grab the popcorn when you start talking suns and Sarver
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

In a subtle way, you should plug this site.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Irish27 wrote:In a subtle way, you should plug this site.
Fuck that. Plug it in a non-subtle way.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Tuesday from 4:15-5 pm

After Heeke
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I think Howard leaving the Lakers wasn’t the start of their decline,
I believe that was the beginning of their decline was when they signed him.
It would be so dumb to sign him again.
Other than that, good job!
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Postmaster wrote:I think Howard leaving the Lakers wasn’t the start of their decline,
I believe that was the beginning of their decline was when they signed him.
It would be so dumb to sign him again.
Other than that, good job!
They traded for him. Him leaving was the nail in the coffin, for sure. Lakers were only 2 years removed from a Title, so acquiring Nash and Howard in one offseason can’t really be viewed as a decline. Especially since they really only gave up an injured and lost medically retired Bynum for Howard.

But that was a bad fit.

So, when they lost him for nothing, with the contract they gave Kobe at that age, it ended flexibility and realistic contention.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I was half teasing. But I thought it was a bad acquisition at the time.
He always seemed to me like a big fish/small pond guy.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Appparently Mike Luke’s getting pushed out by the new guy Rich Herrera.
-JB
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Rich had a radio show here years ago and was horrible. I would take Mike Luke any day over him
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

UAEebs86 wrote:Appparently Mike Luke’s getting pushed out by the new guy Rich Herrera.
Mike is still the cohost I believe.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:Appparently Mike Luke’s getting pushed out by the new guy Rich Herrera.
Mike is still the cohost I believe.
Correct, but Scheer tweeted this:

-JB
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I haven't listened to the show in years anyway, but these are some horrible changes. Literally no one wants to hear a report about ASU unless they did something stupid or we're about to play them in some sport, let alone three times a week?!

And not letting Mike be the host is pretty insulting considering how long he's been around.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I listened for about 10 minutes and turned it off. Herrera tried to explain why he was having asu insiders on 3 days a week. He thinks everyone is so interested in the Territorial Cup and wants to hear what asu is doing. He is so out of the loop. He also does not even live in Tucson. I read he lives in California. You would think the host would live in Tucson.

Even though I did not like hearing Kevin and Mike talk politics, I enjoyed listening to them. They were entertaining. I also enjoyed listening to Jason and Brad come on with their perspective on the UofA and recruiting. I will now listen to the national sports talk shows instead of the local ones.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Quite honestly, I thought Ryan Radtke was about the only really good local sports talk host Tucson's had. He lost out on the PBP job to Brian Jeffries, which was probably a good thing for us, as Radtke was always going to move on at some point, and we got better continuity this way with Brian. He's done Nevada football and basketball for the last several years, along with Reno Aces PCL baseball. Now he works for Westwood One. I'd guess he'll either stay network or be a pro team PBP guy. Can't really see him doing TV, but that's always a possibility. In terms of talk shows, he was very no-nonsense and got the information (and his opinions) out there. If a caller asked a reasonable question or had good comments, he'd let him go on about it, but if a caller was silly or completely misinformed, he'd quickly move on, even if it meant a soliloquy. Years ago, Mike Gabrielson copied Lee Hamilton's approach, right down to the opening music. He was an ASU hack, but it was tolerable. I liked the old-school Hamilton format, leading off each hour with a long sportscast (opinions included), followed by the call-ins. Jody Oehler played the contrarian, partly to differentiate himself from the UArizona station, and partly because he was always auditioning for a job in the Phoenix/ASU radio market. Kevin Woodman was a lot of fun, but the schtick got a little old sometimes, and I guess he went too far with his political comments, which were out of place on a sports show. I won't get into a critique of Mike Luke, but I'm sorry he got pushed aside, especially for Rich Herrera, who is definitely not my cup of tea. If memory serves, he tries to yuk everything up and slap everybody on the back and be everybody's best friend like a bad used car salesman. And he just doesn't have the specific knowledge of Arizona Athletics. So he just has local media types on with their highly questionable opinions and sucks up to them; yuck.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Caught him on Monday.
He kept saying the same thing but rearranging the words.
They couldn’t get the phones to work.
I didn’t mind him at first, back in the day. But he got bad and you could tell he was trying to get out of town.

Steve Rivera has a show on 1450 from 3-4.
It’s ok. To me, Steve is still learning to host a show as opposed to do print interviews.
His cohost is jay gonzales who is connected to the sugar skulls, if that’s your cup of tea.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Yeah, I'll give a tip of the hat to Steve Rivera and Jay Gonzales. Haven't listened for awhile, but Jay seems able to line up some pretty good guests. Wish they'd go back to having a sports talk guy in the morning. Jeff Dean is the PA announcer for football and basketball, and he did mornings for a while on 1450. No callers or guests, but scores and commentary. I think he bailed on any in-studio stuff with Covid, and probably the economic situation. Cheaper to just throw the switch and carry the network. Hope he goes back to all three when things return to something resembling normalcy.
TheCatInTheHat

Yet Another Option

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Some people may not like former long-time local high school (and briefly Pima CC) football coach Jeff Scurran, but he's apparently got a sports show on Saturday afternoon at 4 on 1030. Supposedly this week, he'll have RichRod as a guest. (Scurran coached his son Rhett at Catalina Foothills HS.)
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

I think that they've heard our grief and feedback. Past couple of days Mike Luke has been featured quite a bit more and had been more of a co-host opposed to being a speaker only in short segments. I don't think Rich is terrible but it could be better. I'm still a listener unless more big changes occur
I said what I said and I mean it.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Somebody's actually circulating a petition to have him removed. My solution is to vote by changing stations or turning the radio off. I assume the removal of Kevin Woodman was generated by somebody over his political statements (a definite mistake on his part) with maybe a threatened boycott of advertisers or having it brought up by the advertisers after complaining to them. So this is the be careful what you ask for part where nobody likes the replacement. At this point, probably the only way to get Herrera replaced anytime soon is if he says something really stupid, or if somebody shows up at the local Cumulus office with an experienced but cut rate broadcaster as well as a whole slew of sponsors lined up waiting to write checks, which isn't likely. They make most of their money from KIIM and KHIT anyway, so at this point, they probably just don't want any more headaches. Their next step might be to just say screw it and throw the switch on one of those east coast "dese, dems, and dose" unibrow network shows.
wyo-cat

Re: Yet Another Option

Post by wyo-cat »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:37 pm Some people may not like former long-time local high school (and briefly Pima CC) football coach Jeff Scurran, but he's apparently got a sports show on Saturday afternoon at 4 on 1030. Supposedly this week, he'll have RichRod as a guest. (Scurran coached his son Rhett at Catalina Foothills HS.)
I like Scurran, he was my son’s coach at ‘Hills. He’s not everyone’s cup of tea, I get that.

I think he’s teaming up with Glenn Howell for his show. He’s a former U of A player and a pretty cool guy.

It was cool to watch Rich and Jim Michalczik at the games. They would just watch and enjoy the games.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Haven't listened to 1290 in ages. Herrera has to go.
-JB
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

The ratings for KCUB for the 3:00PM to 6:00PM time slot have to be at an all-time low. https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb207
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I don’t know if you all know this, but Rich Herrera worked for the Rays and he know people in the MLB.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Postmaster wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:42 pm I don’t know if you all know this, but Rich Herrera worked for the Rays and he know people in the MLB.
But like Kevin Woodman coaching HS football, he doesn't like to talk about it? ;)
-JB
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Exactly
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Another low was when Rich started to doing fake interviews paid by sponsors. Interviews as extended commercials? Who doesn't switch over to 1450 or 1490 when that happens?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Rich Hererra is fucking awful at his job... he's just terrible.

However... Jason Scheer has been relentless on twitter constantly calling him out/ attacking him .... Rich has never responded to my knowledge.

For Jason to be all upset about Rich swearing at him in front of his wife is fucking ridiculous.

Jason Scheer may provide good info but he is a horrible twitter follow and it's no surprise he makes lots of enemies.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:28 am Rich Hererra is fucking awful at his job... he's just terrible.

However... Jason Scheer has been relentless on twitter constantly calling him out/ attacking him .... Rich has never responded to my knowledge.

For Jason to be all upset about Rich swearing at him in front of his wife is fucking ridiculous.

Jason Scheer may provide good info but he is a horrible twitter follow and it's no surprise he makes lots of enemies.
Yeah I don't have sympathy for either party here. Jason shits on the dude consistently in public. I'm not sure what he would expect.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

It seems Jason makes enemies with other media people. Was he getting paid for when he would go on the air with Kevin and Mike?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Jason should be careful not to slip into the role Ace abandoned.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Jason is mad because people keep posting his stuff.
I kid, I kid.

Seems like Rich cut him loose from 1290 and he is upset about it.

I’m surprised Rich kept Mike Luke around. There’s only so much space in the studio for the ego.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:53 am
Alieberman wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:28 am Rich Hererra is fucking awful at his job... he's just terrible.

Yeah I don't have sympathy for either party here. Jason shits on the dude consistently in public. I'm not sure what he would expect.
Jason is an internet tough guy.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Mike Luke had Woodman on his Locked On Wildcats podcast yesterday.

Here's an update on Uncle Kev:

He's living with his mom in HB, sounds like he's unemployed. Admitted he'd been drinking before joining the podcast, and within 3 minutes pretty much called all the women in California bitches.
After that he mostly settled in to talking football.
(He coached a little HS football but doesn't like to talk about it)

Mike said he's going to be on weekly. Can't wait to hear his takes on masks and vaccines. His Twitter feed is a hot mess. Incels gonna incel.
-JB
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Kevin is an idiot human being

Also he’s a much more interesting sports radio host than Rich Herrera
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I stopped listening to 1290AM about a week or two after Rich started. I could not keep listening because he made it all about him. He is definitely a narcissist. I listen to Steve and Jay on 1450AM. They are so much better than anything Tucson has.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:36 pm Kevin is an idiot human being

Also he’s a much more interesting sports radio host than Rich Herrera
Kevin is interesting and a guy (no matter how you feel about his politics) who would be fun to grab a few brews with, but yes he is absolutely an idiot.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Who even continues to listen to Rich Herrera? If you're in the car and want to listen to Wildcats sports radio, there's 1450 and 1490. Both are much better options when Rich is on 1290. Just stop listening and drive Rich out of town.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

What were the deleted tweets?