Let's Talk '22

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: Let's Talk '22

Post by Beachcat97 »

I like Efe and think he’ll be very good next season, but if we’re looking to make up what we’re losing in DT, Efe is a completely different player.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:51 amHmmm....
He doesn't help with what we need. It's like buying a new sound system for your car after the transmission craps out.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:27 am
He doesn't help with what we need. It's like buying a new sound system for your car after the transmission craps out.
He’d take our front court from good to elite - that would be nice.

We’re going to want to add three guys (we have four scholarships open). One being a combo big or forward. Efe fits the bill.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

It doesn’t mean he’s not going to go the NBA route. He’s just not going the draft route yet.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:20 am I like Efe and think he’ll be very good next season, but if we’re looking to make up what we’re losing in DT, Efe is a completely different player.
What? Who said that? Efe would backfill for Koloko.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:46 am
It doesn’t mean he’s not going to go the NBA route. He’s just not going the draft route yet.
What about the other front court guy at Wazzu? He’s not half bad as a fill-in piece.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:01 am
ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:46 am
What about the other front court guy at Wazzu? He’s not half bad as a fill-in piece.
I think Arizona wants a guy who’s more of a 4/5 and I think he’s strictly a 5. Either way I haven’t heard anything about that guy’s intentions. Definitely know up to this point Arizona isn’t on him.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:48 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:20 am I like Efe and think he’ll be very good next season, but if we’re looking to make up what we’re losing in DT, Efe is a completely different player.
Veesaar fills that need with Anderson as a backup option in emergencies. It's why I've never understood looking at Efe and understand it even less now.

We're down to Larsson, Bal and Kerr on the perimeter. That's where we need depth and Efe does not help there.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:11 am
Veesaar fills that need with Anderson as a backup option in emergencies. It's why I've never understood looking at Efe and understand it even less now.

We're down to Larsson, Bal and Kerr on the perimeter. That's where we need depth and Efe does not help there.
yeah agreed, pretty clear to me that another true big is the 3rd priority behind adding a combo guard and a wing. I'm fine going for a big like Efe as long as we intend to still add someone for each of those two open slots. It would be ideal to not rely on Boro to play real minutes year one - that feels like a recipe for disaster, even if the staff is higher on him than consensus.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

You guys have no idea what my "Hmmm" means so stop making assumptions.

:P
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Depending on how many more guards/wings we land, Boro is going to play, the staff is confident in his ability.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:37 am Depending on how many more guards/wings we land, Boro is going to play, the staff is confident in his ability.
I don't get how Boro can play unless we're recruiting guys now who will not play. He's currently the 7th man on the roster (Kerr, Pelle, Zu, Ballo, HV, Bal, Boro, Anderson). Assuming we add three guys, and two are meaningful players, then he's at the ninth spot - aka outside looking in.

I do appreciate the staff's confidence in Boro - he's got a great offensive game from the tape.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:50 am
ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:37 am Depending on how many more guards/wings we land, Boro is going to play, the staff is confident in his ability.
I don't get how Boro can play unless we're recruiting guys now who will not play. He's currently the 7th man on the roster (Kerr, Pelle, Zu, Ballo, HV, Bal, Boro, Anderson). Assuming we add three guys, and two are meaningful players, then he's at the ninth spot - aka outside looking in.

I do appreciate the staff's confidence in Boro - he's got a great offensive game from the tape.
I doubt we land 3 guys.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:37 am

Depending on how many more guards/wings we land, Boro is going to play, the staff is confident in his ability.
Yeah, I'll add Borocavinin on to a list of where I don't think I see things as Lloyd and the staff do. I'll add a caveat that the amount of tape I have is certainly significantly less than they'll have, but I see Borocavinin as a Bal-type process guy.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:11 am

I doubt we land 3 guys.
Leaving two roster spots open (three, essentially considering the other Tubelis has one)... yeesh. I mean, bright side is we'd certainly be out of the woods on IARP penalties as that would make four total withheld over the last three seasons.

But back to Boro, even adding two quality guys puts Boro at the ninth man spot, unless Boro is ready to be more productive than the guys we add.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I would love Efe, but I hear he is almost for sure going the G-League route.
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

Love Efe, and would love to have him on the roster. But his presence doesn't give us a lot of flexibility on perimeter defense. Losing Koloko, Benn and Terry basically takes away our athletic advantages on the team. I mean, just look at the end of regulation of the TCU game, that really displayed our defensive versatility.

I like Efe (if he comes, hopefully) because he allows us to become a notch better defensively because of his athleticism. I don't see a lot guys who are plus athletes and defenders in the portal that can really make a difference for next year, regardless of position. Maybe the staff knows something I don't.

I'm sorry, losing Miller and DT is just a bummer all the way around.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:06 am

I doubt we land 3 guys.
Leaving two roster spots open (three, essentially considering the other Tubelis has one)... yeesh. I mean, bright side is we'd certainly be out of the woods on IARP penalties as that would make four total withheld over the last three seasons.

But back to Boro, even adding two quality guys puts Boro at the ninth man spot, unless Boro is ready to be more productive than the guys we add.
Just remember Lloyd wanted a 9 man rotation last year, but something occurred that robbed him of that opportunity.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

I doubt we land 3 guys.
and one of the two is likely going to be a 4/5? woof. don't like that at all. that's absurdly thin at the 1-3.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:06 am

I doubt we land 3 guys.

I don't think it counts for IARP because we've never actually self-sanctioned to my knowledge. It's what I've never understood, we don't fill the spots but don't self-sanction. It's the worst of both worlds.

It's bizarre to me bc Lloyd even said he was holding them open relative to sanctions, but no one ever self-sanctioned them. I wouldn't expect the IARP to count a punishment we never actually gave ourselves.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:44 am I don't think it counts for IARP because we've never actually self-sanctioned to my knowledge. It's what I've never understood, we don't fill the spots but don't self-sanction. It's the worst of both worlds.

It's bizarre to me bc Lloyd even said he was holding them open relative to sanctions, but no one ever self-sanctioned them. I wouldn't expect the IARP to count a punishment we never actually gave ourselves.
I don't think you have to publicly declare "we're self sanctioning" in order to tell the IARP that you have self sanctioned. For the tournament, of course you do (because how else do you justify it) but for the scholarship count there's no reason that we have to publicly state it - could be simply that we'll tell the IARP and that messaging won't be public until the decision is public.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

goslingswagg wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:30 am

I doubt we land 3 guys.
and one of the two is likely going to be a 4/5? woof. don't like that at all. that's absurdly thin at the 1-3.
I think one of those guys is going to be a 3/4 and one is a 1/2. You can look at the two top targets as evidence: Ramey (1/2) and Brooks (3/4).

That leaves these guys as 1-3: Kerr, Pelle, Adama, Boro, Target 1, Target 2. Six guys for three spots, can use three guys at any of the three spots (don't love using Pelle or Adama at the 1 but it's the injury option).
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

YoDeFoe wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:56 am

I doubt we land 3 guys.
I think one of those guys is going to be a 3/4 and one is a 1/2. You can look at the two top targets as evidence: Ramey (1/2) and Brooks (3/4).

That leaves these guys as 1-3: Kerr, Pelle, Adama, Boro, Target 1, Target 2. Six guys for three spots, can use three guys at any of the three spots (don't love using Pelle or Adama at the 1 but it's the injury option).
if it's Brooks and Ramey (or similar positional profiles), then yeah agreed I'm good with it. If it's Ramey and a true 4/5 like Choo mentioned seems to be our goal earlier in the thread, then I think we're definitely too thin at the 1-3.

Even if we do add Brooks and Ramey, we're going to see Brooks play an unfortunate amount of time at the 3 imo, given he's more of a natural 4, but with the situation we're in, I would be content with that.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:53 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:44 am I don't think it counts for IARP because we've never actually self-sanctioned to my knowledge. It's what I've never understood, we don't fill the spots but don't self-sanction. It's the worst of both worlds.

I don't think you have to publicly declare "we're self sanctioning" in order to tell the IARP that you have self sanctioned. For the tournament, of course you do (because how else do you justify it) but for the scholarship count there's no reason that we have to publicly state it - could be simply that we'll tell the IARP and that messaging won't be public until the decision is public.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/fansided.c ... ments/amp/

Here's where LSU did it publicly. I would also say it's important to do it to make it clear you didn't just leave an open spot because you couldn't find a good enough recruit to make it worth filling the spot.

Self-sanctioning formally makes it clear that you are forgoing the scholarship regardless of what recruit is on the table.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:11 pm

Here's where LSU did it publicly. I would also say it's important to do it to make it clear you didn't just leave an open spot because you couldn't find a good enough recruit to make it worth filling the spot.

Self-sanctioning formally makes it clear that you are forgoing the scholarship regardless of what recruit is on the table.

But does it have to be public? Couldn't they just tell the NCAA/IARP?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:01 pm
YoDeFoe wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:56 am

I doubt we land 3 guys.

if it's Brooks and Ramey (or similar positional profiles), then yeah agreed I'm good with it. If it's Ramey and a true 4/5 like Choo mentioned seems to be our goal earlier in the thread, then I think we're definitely too thin at the 1-3.

Even if we do add Brooks and Ramey, we're going to see Brooks play an unfortunate amount of time at the 3 imo, given he's more of a natural 4, but with the situation we're in, I would be content with that.
To be clear, with Terry gone, the focus is on a 1/2 and a 3/4.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAEebs86 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:13 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:11 pm

But does it have to be public? Couldn't they just tell the NCAA/IARP?
I mean, no one really has to do anything. You could always argue it to the IARP, and it doesn't even have to be true.

Most of all Lloyd said this about potential scholarship sanctions:

"I can’t predict what’s going to happen, so you’re just trying to be mindful and my job is to help this group maximize its opportunity in my first year here and build a great foundation that could be a springboard for things going forward,” Lloyd said. “We want to be adaptable to whatever situation is handed down to us."

I mean, if we self-sanctioned, either no one told Lloyd or he lied during that interview.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

If we weren’t covertly self sanctioning, shouldn’t they have given one of the preferred walk-ons the scholarship?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Looks like Duke is a major player for Ramey now with Keels gone and they seem pretty confident.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Fuck Duke!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:51 am Looks like Duke is a major player for Ramey now with Keels gone and they seem pretty confident.
You know it's hard out here for a coach
Tryin to get some players for his team
For the Cadillacs and NIL money spent
Because a whole lotta writers talkin s**t
Will have a whole lotta coaches talkin s**t

In my eyes done seen some crazy things in AAU
Gotta couple uncles workin on the changes for me
But I gotta keep my game tight like Kobe on game night
Like takin from an agent don't know no better, I know that ain't right
Done seen players hurt, done seen players declare
Done seen players live in poverty with no meals
It's f***ed up where I live but that's just how it is
It might be new to Tommy, but it's been like this for years
Dave

Post by Dave »

Doesn’t Duke already have 13 five star players?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

84Cat wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:36 amFuck Duke!
Oy fookin' het dookies!

Do ya loyk Zags?

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:51 am Looks like Duke is a major player for Ramey now with Keels gone and they seem pretty confident.
I get why we waited on going after a wing, but not recruiting multiple combo guard options earlier in the portal is baffling to me. We knew that was going to be a need regardless of any stay-or-go decision. Not sure what the path is if Ramey is a no-go now, but it probably isn't very appealing (unless maybe Dom Harris transfers out of Gonzaga?).
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:58 am
I get why we waited on going after a wing, but not recruiting multiple combo guard options earlier in the portal is baffling to me. We knew that was going to be a need regardless of any stay-or-go decision. Not sure what the path is if Ramey is a no-go now, but it probably isn't very appealing (unless maybe Dom Harris transfers out of Gonzaga?).
I’m not even sure if Arizona knows at this point. Maybe they push harder for Brooks and then pick up a small school back up 1. This hasn’t been handled all that well.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Bottom line: 2022-23 is a rebuilding year, given the players lost to the pros. Deja vu.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:27 pm
I’m not even sure if Arizona knows at this point. Maybe they push harder for Brooks and then pick up a small school back up 1. This hasn’t been handled all that well.
yeah, this is the first legitimate screw up that TL has made so far imo...haven't been a fan of the passiveness of this offseason recruiting strategy. college bball is an arms race now - feels like we are geared up with our 2023 class (particularly if we can add KJ Evans), but there's just not enough urgency to improve the roster this year. this year's group had the potential to be a 2nd weekend team, even without DT, if we were more active this summer, but just feels like we let the offseason go by without doing enough to improve our standing. now we have two key spots that need to get filled in a very competitive recruitment environment...really hoping TL proves me wrong on this point though.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:42 pm
ChooChooCat wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:27 pm
yeah, this is the first legitimate screw up that TL has made so far imo...haven't been a fan of the passiveness of this offseason recruiting strategy. college bball is an arms race now - feels like we are geared up with our 2023 class (particularly if we can add KJ Evans), but there's just not enough urgency to improve the roster this year. this year's group had the potential to be a 2nd weekend team, even without DT, if we were more active this summer, but just feels like we let the offseason go by without doing enough to improve our standing. now we have two key spots that need to get filled in a very competitive recruitment environment...really hoping TL proves me wrong on this point though.
Yeah recruiting HS and Intl. kids is a slow burn, you can take your time and capitalize easily. With transfers the gun is to your head the entire time. Every guy is in a rush to get his preferred spot. You can’t bide your time.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

For 2023, we are adding Lewis and Boswell, while hopefully still having Kerr, Pelle, & Bal.

Maybe Tommy only wants a grad transfer combo guard this year so he doesn’t recruit over those 5 guys, while still being able to sell PT to the incoming CG.

Ramey fits this…and we if we lose him, we will have to hope for a different Grad Transfer CG to become available….
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

CatFan1399

Post by CatFan1399 »

dmjcat wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:58 pm
Is this guy a better fit for our needs at the 3 spot than Brooks? Any thoughts as to our chances of landing him?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CatFan1399 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:02 pm
dmjcat wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:58 pm
Is this guy a better fit for our needs at the 3 spot than Brooks? Any thoughts as to our chances of landing him?
He's a pure wing, not a maybe 3, maybe small 4. He fits better that way. Brooks is more talented, but less of a positional fit.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Grandison is a perfect fit for the offense - he excelled in a similar offense at Illinois (crafted by Stephen Gentry, who worked under Lloyd at Gonzaga). He can pass, dribble, and shoot. He has a high IQ and makes the right plays.

We’d be lucky to have him. The trouble as spiff said is he only really fills one gap - SG/SF - and that’s arguably our deepest position.

However, that wing depth is now only Pelle and two 18 year olds. Grandison would be a major lift and I think the offense would flow exquisitely with him, Kerr, and Pelle. Haven't seen enough tape to comment on his D. Anyone?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

But he is from Illinois. That turns my stomach.
CatFan1399

Post by CatFan1399 »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:45 am But he is from Illinois. That turns my stomach.
It helps if you look at it as hurting Illinois by taking from them to improve our team. 👍
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:45 am But he is from Illinois. That turns my stomach.
Absolutely. He's a dick until he's in a UofA uni, then he's in probationary redemption. I reserve the right to be mercilessly critical up until I come to love the guy. Or not.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Come on. Illinois happens to people. Some survive and get out when they can. The point is they come to U of A.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Did DT’s departure take the coaching staff by surprise?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Postmaster wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:21 pm Did DT’s departure take the coaching staff by surprise?
They expected he would work out, get some feedback, and then return. When it became clear he had put himself in solid position to not have to return, the staff was aware.