Dave Heeke

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: Dave Heeke

Post by azgreg »

TheCat wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:56 am Just looked at the Star where they confirmed ABOR does not have Arizona Basketball coach on its schedule....sounds like the search is going great.
They can call a special hearing at any time to discuss a coaching hire.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TheCat wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:51 am So I have started a divide and conquer strategy with our administration. Since Heeke has taken responsibility for the firing of Coach Miller I have sent a few note to Robbins on how ill prepared he was for a coaching search of this magnitude. Afterall we are not central Michigan. I asked him to stop this embarrassment and relive Heeke from his position immediately. I told him who he could check with to see if I have been a supporter of our athletic teams in the past. Play on his ego to at least eliminate Heeke. I also think this is the only way to even have a 1 in a zillion shot at bringing miller back. I published the presidents email earlier.
Miller isn't coming back.

Would you go back to a job you were fired from because your management admits they were incompetent idiots?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

If they fired the asshole that made the decision maybe, but I get your point.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

How long was the football coach vacant? Trying to gage the timeframe these buffoons make their decisions in.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

gronk4heisman wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:21 pm How long was the football coach vacant? Trying to gage the timeframe these buffoons make their decisions in.
About 10 days.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

As an AD your biggest hires are football coach and basketball coach.

Heeke's picks for these positions have a combined record of 0-0

I would think Heeke's entire professional career is in the balance

It's a bold move....
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

The football issue came about because they had to get rid of Sumlin after the asu game. So imo you can’t really compare the timelines.
Hiring process? Yes.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

I don't know why, but this thread reminded me of when we fired Tomey.

Remember when we fired Tomey because he wasn't good enough. I remember Nebraska going 11-1 or something like that and firing their coach. Then they sucked for years and years after. I can't say the UA football team has reached Tomey levels since. We'll see how basketball goes.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Tomey quit after the ASSU game. All of the other coaches had been hoovered up by other programs who had been working on hiring coaches for a while.

We ended up with Mack because of that late start.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

wyo-cat wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:44 pm Tomey quit after the ASSU game. All of the other coaches had been hoovered up by other programs who had been working on hiring coaches for a while.

You're right. I thought he was fired. He said he "had no other choice".

https://tucson.com/coach-steps-down-aft ... 408dd.html
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Didn't it come out in the past year or so that Tomey quit but Livengood worked it out so that he was fired so Tomey would get the payout?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

wyo-cat wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:44 pm Tomey quit after the ASSU game. All of the other coaches had been hoovered up by other programs who had been working on hiring coaches for a while.

Tomey was fired. He didn't quit. It's semantics -- but he was absolutely forced out and given a buyout by Livengood. That's how it went down. He was asked to fall on his sword and offered a buyout -- and he did.

We ended up with Mackovic because Livengood thought he was bringing in an offensive guru with success at Texas and hoped it would translate at Arizona.

Livengood's best hires were Andy Lopez and Sean Miller.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

The story on the end for Tomey at UA after losing to ASU. "Resigned" and received a $600K buyout.

https://tucson.com/sports/greghansen/gr ... 89b02.html
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

Either way, we haven't been good at football since.

The day after Nebraska coach Solich won a victory over Colorado in Boulder, he was fired by Steve Pederson. This was the first time in the history of college football that a program had fired a 9–3 coach.

(I was exaggerating when I said 11-1 earlier.)
Pederson soon learned that good coaches don’t want to work for a chancellor and athletic director who fire 9–3 coaches. They (correctly) perceive there is no job security at a program that fires a well respected coach with a good record like Frank Solich.

After the termination of Solich, at least _3 coaches rejected offers from Pederson_. In the end, Pederson settled on Bill Callahan — shortly after he was fired by the Raiders. Well informed sources tell me that Pederson’s interview with Callahan consisted of the athletic director _begging Callahan to take the job._
https://dennispcrawford.medium.com/this ... cec1d47c2a

After that, they've just continued to suck a lot and went on to just keep firing everyone.
Nebraska has spent more money firing coaches than any other school in the past 15 years.
https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/nebras ... 9.amp.html
Since 2005, Nebraska has fired football coaches Bill Callahan, Bo Pelini and Mike Riley and men’s basketball coaches Doc Sadler and Tim Miles. That cost NU a total of $27,914,154 in severance pay, according to NCAA financial reports obtained in a public records request by Athletic Director U. That ranks most among 52 power conference schools, just ahead of Auburn, Florida, Kansas and UCLA.

In 2018 alone, Nebraska paid $11.9 million in severance payments. It was one of five schools to top $10 million in payments that year, with the others being Arizona State, UCLA, Florida and Tennessee.
Wow. Read the entire first article. Chancellor Perlman destroyed Nebraska.

Lol, it just got worse and worse for them. Firing ADs, hiring ADs to fire coaches, getting blocked by the Regents because your firing had no basis other than ego and personality battles, and then firing in secret to get past the Regents. What a piece of shit.

I'm afraid we'll be writing a similar article about President Robbins someday.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Sd86 and I's best friend from the UA is a huge Nebraska fan from Omaha and yeah, Nebraska football and athletics has been completely gutted by their president and leadership the last 15 years
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

This is how an effective leader acts & communicates during this time:

(Looking past firing Miller 5 weeks after the season ended and misleading everyone through the process).

Current Players
-The leader would have stayed in frequent communication with the current players. He would explain that they can't tell them everything but they will they will communicate as much as possible.
-I would have thanked the current players for all they have sacrificed this past season and that they want to make a hire that is in their best interest.
-I would pressed upon the current players the generations of UofA Alumni who are with them and what an elite fraternity it is to be a part of.
-I would have asked them for feedback on what they want from the program going forward.
-I would have just made sure they knew they had a leader who was with them during this difficult time.
-Inform them before social media does.

Alumni
-I would have stated that their will be interviews that will include alumni and non-alumni. Who is best for Arizona will be hired.
-Ask them for the feedback on what they want for Arizona going forward.
-Ask them to lead by example or show mentorship to the current players.
-Communicate with them throughout the process as much as you are allowed to share but just keep communicating.
-Inform them before social media does and ask them to reach out to the new coach to show support.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UofAlum05 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:12 pm This is how an effective leader acts & communicates during this time:

(Looking past firing Miller 5 weeks after the season ended and misleading everyone through the process).

Current Players
-The leader would have stayed in frequent communication with the current players. He would explain that they can't tell them everything but they will they will communicate as much as possible.
-I would have thanked the current players for all they have sacrificed this past season and that they want to make a hire that is in their best interest.
-I would pressed upon the current players the generations of UofA Alumni who are with them and what an elite fraternity it is to be a part of.
-I would have asked them for feedback on what they want from the program going forward.
-I would have just made sure they knew they had a leader who was with them during this difficult time.
-Inform them before social media does.

Alumni
-I would have stated that their will be interviews that will include alumni and non-alumni. Who is best for Arizona will be hired.
-Ask them for the feedback on what they want for Arizona going forward.
-Ask them to lead by example or show mentorship to the current players.
-Communicate with them throughout the process as much as you are allowed to share but just keep communicating.
-Inform them before social media does and ask them to reach out to the new coach to show support.
In fairness to Heeke, a lot of those things are hard to do when you're a puppet and can't do them until your master pulls the right string.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Nebraska’s Athletic Director position is coming open with Bill Moos retiring.

Please take Heeke off our hands. Please god make that happen.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:35 am Nebraska’s Athletic Director position is coming open with Bill Moos retiring.

The N stands for Nowledge but I don't think even they are that dumb.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:41 am
Chicat wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:35 am Nebraska’s Athletic Director position is coming open with Bill Moos retiring.

The N stands for Nowledge but I don't think even they are that dumb.
Don’t crush my dreams.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Why would he leave for Nebraska? Dude has the best job in the country, just sit back and go to sporting events while your boss does all your work for you and you cash checks.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

No way are we this lucky or Nebraska is that dumb.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea not a chance in hell
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Wake me up when the job opens up at Tulsa Men's Christian College, which, by the way, doesn't exist.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:32 am No way are we this lucky or Nebraska is that dumb.
Our lack of luck is never in question.

Nebraska’s intelligence could be.

Personally, I’m heading to Twitter to start 30 burner accounts all talking about Heeke to the Fuskers and pretending Arizona fans are really going to miss his leadership and steady stewardship of all of our sports programs.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Heeke now has our whole sports programs in his hands for real consequential decisions. How does that make you feel? Softball was a slam dunk but soccer has me a bit worried. Football couldn't have been worse than the prior decision so we will see. Basketball has the pedigree but we will see with X and O's and recruiting. Baseball...don't be surprised to see his son's coach in the mix. We could become irrelevant in a very short time. To me Tommy has two years to show promise and one year to show he has a style that recruits would like to play.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Perhaps they're looking for a placeholder/yes man. Who knows.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

They forgot to mention self sanctioning the tournament.

Win games, get money.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yikes
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Quick, check out Wiki!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Heeke

Saved for posterity!

U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Screenshotted it to my wife.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Agree with football. Too soon to tell with hoops.
-JB
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Merkin wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:34 pm Quick, check out Wiki!

Saved for posterity!

Thanks for the heads up. Goes along great with the Robbins edit someone did.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Fans are nut jobs, so of course we have fun with the Wikipedia stuff (I do). But fun aside, Dave Heeke is historically awful at his job, by any measure. HIs excuse is that he's powerless under the heavy hand of a top-down administrator in Robbins, but that comes with the territory of being a "yes man". The results don't lie. He's the worst athletics director in Arizona history and he needs to go.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Unfortunately he is simply cover for the man who is in charge of firing him so he is unlikely to go anywhere until he has a sword to fall on for Bob Rob who is more concerned with ego than results. With all the hires they have made though the sword may come sooner rather than later.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Longhorned wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:58 am Fans are nut jobs, so of course we have fun with the Wikipedia stuff (I do). But fun aside, Dave Heeke is historically awful at his job, by any measure. HIs excuse is that he's powerless under the heavy hand of a top-down administrator in Robbins, but that comes with the territory of being a "yes man". The results don't lie. He's the worst athletics director in Arizona history and he needs to go.
But, all that happen as long as Robbins is here?
Or will Robbins next hire be any better?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Merkin wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:34 pm Quick, check out Wiki!

Saved for posterity!

Bet he's so proud eh. :P
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Can someone refer me to an article or post that offers a comprehensive record of Heeke's incompetence while AD for UofA? I'd like to get it circulated more widely, more visibly.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Well let's just say he was in charge of basketball, football, soccer, baseball, and softball hires and we will have FACTS a year from now how that all worked out. We will also be able to judge how recruits feel about his hires.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

We have also seen his handling of the Sean Miller FBI/NOA saga as well as his lack of promotion for the team and conference in all aspects, the Kevin Sumlin hire, the fiasco at the first home game at the gates, etc.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Postmaster wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:38 pm
Longhorned wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:58 am Fans are nut jobs, so of course we have fun with the Wikipedia stuff (I do). But fun aside, Dave Heeke is historically awful at his job, by any measure. HIs excuse is that he's powerless under the heavy hand of a top-down administrator in Robbins, but that comes with the territory of being a "yes man". The results don't lie. He's the worst athletics director in Arizona history and he needs to go.
But, all that happen as long as Robbins is here?
Or will Robbins next hire be any better?
Robbins has a proven track record of consistently disastrous hires and promotions. So, to clarify: Robbins needs to go, and Heeke along with him. As always, the administrators whose wagons are hitched to a failed president/chancellor sink along with the ship of Cap'n Crotch Rot.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:47 am We have also seen his handling of the Sean Miller FBI/NOA saga as well as his lack of promotion for the team and conference in all aspects, the Kevin Sumlin hire, the fiasco at the first home game at the gates, etc.
With Robbins and Heeke, I think the operative question is: what have they handled well?

If you try to list all their mistakes, that can go on for a long ass time. For the sake of brevity, it's better to focus on their list of positives.

--Didn't **** up on Adia Barnes.
--Fisch hire was looking good for like 25 minutes before the games started.
--We've hired some pretty good assitant coaches. Some as assistant coaches, others as head coaches.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Pain.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
-JB
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Unreal. So many high ranking people on campus absolutely hate him… actually let me clarify…. So many non white males on campus hate him
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:12 pm Unreal. So many high ranking people on campus absolutely hate him… actually let me clarify…. So many non white males on campus hate him
Who makes the call to extend him exactly?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Unbelievable
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ChooChooCat wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:15 pm
Alieberman wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:12 pm Unreal. So many high ranking people on campus absolutely hate him… actually let me clarify…. So many non white males on campus hate him
Who makes the call to extend him exactly?
ABOR I beliee.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Oh my achin back.
-Norlander.