The 2020-2021 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: The 2020-2021 Season Thread

Post by ChooChooCat »

So many posts that are TLDNR with a toddler hanging over my back. All I'll say is roster continuity > OADs and bandaids. Players with zero interest in sticking it out for the long haul are bandaids at best.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

zonagrad wrote:Arizona would be a much different program had they stuck around even for one more year.
I’ve mentioned just this before: trying to find those guys that will stay one more year.

So how do we find those guys?

I’ve got a feeling I know a couple ways, but I think it’s be an interesting discussion.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Meanwhile Andy Enfield is making Sean Miller his bitch on the recruiting trail.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

zonagrad wrote:Great posts everyone!!!!

It's not so much the Gordon, Ayton and Markannen OAD that hurt the program. It's the early departures of guys who have no business turning pro like Kobi Simmons, Rawle Alkins, Grant Jerrett, Brandon Ashley, Chance Comanche and Nick Johnson. None of these players made any type of noise by going pro early.

But had they stayed -- they would've made an enormous difference for Arizona in the seasons they missed:

If Grant Jerrett stays? Arizona absorbs the injury to Brandon Ashley and arguably makes the Final Four in 2014. As for 2015 with Jerrett -- another scorer for a team that lacked offensive punch.

If Ashley stays? 2016 might be less of a disappointing season. Instead we get Mark Tollefsen. No comparison.

If Kobi Simmons stays just one more year -- Arizona has a much better ball handler, scorer and finisher than PJC. Simmons wasn't even a starter by the end of 2017 and yet he stayed just one year. How much better of a player would he be had he stayed in school another 2-3 years instead of jumping to the D-League where it's essentially an extension of AAU ball?

Chance Comanche? If he stays -- Arizona's front court with Markannen and then Ayton becomes so much more dynamic in '17 & '18.

The early departures of these players is the real head scratcher? Arizona seems to be hit harder than other programs when it comes to guys leaving early who are not clear NBA prospects. It kills continuity of the program. Instead of a team that is mature and seasoned, Arizona is always starting over with players who are talented enough to win games during the course of the regular season but lack the toughness and experience required to win in March.

It's a no brainer recruiting guys like Lauri, Aaron and D'Andre. You take them every time. But does Miller have a crystal ball for guys like Simmons, Ayton, Jerrett, etc.. who have NBA aspirations and hope to leave early even when it's clear they shouldn't.

Arizona would be a much different program had they stuck around even for one more year.
Definitely. But that is true at every major program. We aren't even a leader in transfers out. This is NCAA basketball. Like i said...the 2018 team had more experience than most mid major champs
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

SCCats wrote:
zonagrad wrote:Arizona would be a much different program had they stuck around even for one more year.
I’ve mentioned just this before: trying to find those guys that will stay one more year.

I’ve got a feeling I know a couple ways, but I think it’s be an interesting discussion.
You can do that by becoming Oregon State. But we are hardly unique in players leaving early or transferring. This year may be a massive aberration, but we have had upperclassmen play major roles in most years.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Meanwhile Andy Enfield is making Sean Miller his bitch on the recruiting trail.
Is that good or bad? If he is beating Miller for players who will leave early?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EVCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Meanwhile Andy Enfield is making Sean Miller his bitch on the recruiting trail.
He's beating Miller for multi year players in the 2021 class and grad transfers for this one. He desperately needs grad transfers to field an actual team next year because of the corner he has forced himself into.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
EVCat wrote:
He's beating Miller for multi year players in the 2021 class and grad transfers for this one. He desperately needs grad transfers to field an actual team next year because of the corner he has forced himself into.
Which is crazy because a USC lead Enfield have consistently under performed in the pac 12
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Model wife and #1 recruiting class. Not too shabby.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Frybry02 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
EVCat wrote:
Which is crazy because a USC lead Enfield have consistently under performed in the pac 12
Andy Enfield is literally the one coach who does less with more than Sean Miller and it's not even close.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

EVCat wrote:
SCCats wrote:

You can do that by becoming Oregon State. But we are hardly unique in players leaving early or transferring. This year may be a massive aberration, but we have had upperclassmen play major roles in most years.
Less of a discussion than I thought.

It’d be easy to do.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

SCCats wrote:
EVCat wrote:
SCCats wrote:

Less of a discussion than I thought.

It’d be easy to do.
Let’s do it!

No more One n Dones to complain about
We can get Pastner to coach
Hell, we might even make the CBI or even the NIT once every 3 years
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

zonagrad wrote:Great posts everyone!!!!

It's not so much the Gordon, Ayton and Markannen OAD that hurt the program. It's the early departures of guys who have no business turning pro like Kobi Simmons, Rawle Alkins, Grant Jerrett, Brandon Ashley, Chance Comanche and Nick Johnson. None of these players made any type of noise by going pro early.

But had they stayed -- they would've made an enormous difference for Arizona in the seasons they missed:

If Grant Jerrett stays? Arizona absorbs the injury to Brandon Ashley and arguably makes the Final Four in 2014. As for 2015 with Jerrett -- another scorer for a team that lacked offensive punch.

If Ashley stays? 2016 might be less of a disappointing season. Instead we get Mark Tollefsen. No comparison.

If Kobi Simmons stays just one more year -- Arizona has a much better ball handler, scorer and finisher than PJC. Simmons wasn't even a starter by the end of 2017 and yet he stayed just one year. How much better of a player would he be had he stayed in school another 2-3 years instead of jumping to the D-League where it's essentially an extension of AAU ball?

Chance Comanche? If he stays -- Arizona's front court with Markannen and then Ayton becomes so much more dynamic in '17 & '18.

The early departures of these players is the real head scratcher? Arizona seems to be hit harder than other programs when it comes to guys leaving early who are not clear NBA prospects. It kills continuity of the program. Instead of a team that is mature and seasoned, Arizona is always starting over with players who are talented enough to win games during the course of the regular season but lack the toughness and experience required to win in March.

It's a no brainer recruiting guys like Lauri, Aaron and D'Andre. You take them every time. But does Miller have a crystal ball for guys like Simmons, Ayton, Jerrett, etc.. who have NBA aspirations and hope to leave early even when it's clear they shouldn't.

Arizona would be a much different program had they stuck around even for one more year.
Excellent post!

Just shows how much the marginal players hate Miller.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

USC now has more 2021 recruits than Arizona has for 2020. Not top recruits, but we'll have to deal with them for 4 years.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
Dave

Post by Dave »

What about the JC or International market? Loading up on grad transfers is not the answer.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Oh man. Getting caught up on this thread, and let’s just say the fan base isn’t exactly brimming with optimism for next season. If you were displeased by the 2019-20 version of this team, just wait for 2020-21, when we really start to crash.

The OAD discussion is interesting, though. Lots of good posts. But the most salient point I’ve seen is that we’ve been much more impacted by unexpected departures/roster changes than by just OADs. Transfers, injuries and sophomores/juniors leaving early have all impacted the program as much or more than OADs. If a few of these players somehow had been on our roster and healthy, there were a few seasons we may’ve reached greater heights. This is all to say: Miller’s had some shit luck.

It’s the current situation that concerns me more. If Miller’s struggling on the recruiting trail, that bodes poorly for his long term prospects at AZ. Recruiting has been his saving grace for a while now. Take that away and what’s left? We go from a program kept afloat by clusters of pro-level players (Trier, Lauri, Ayton, Nnaji) to a program struggling to fill out a roster with grad transfers and second/third tier preps.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Dave wrote:What about the JC or International market? Loading up on grad transfers is not the answer.
International market has been and is in play. I wouldn't expect any JCs though.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Beachcat97 wrote: It’s the current situation that concerns me more. If Miller’s struggling on the recruiting trail, that bodes poorly for his long term prospects at AZ. Recruiting has been his saving grace for a while now. Take that away and what’s left? We go from a program kept afloat by clusters of pro-level players (Trier, Lauri, Ayton, Nnaji) to a program struggling to fill out a roster with grad transfers and second/third tier preps.
That is when the Miller era ends. Unless Miller snags Zaire and Walton at the 11th hour, it looks like next year could be his last year.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Adding to the uncertainty of college football and basketball next season, Arizona and presumably most other state universities are preparing to teach fall classes online. One specific concern is that, even if the curve flattens and in-person classes are offered on campus, there will be too many students and families demanding remote classes in order to prevent getting caught in a new spike in outbreaks during the semester. Students can still start and continue having a great college education, but college sports are place-specific are part of the student experience.

I suppose a potential advantage for Arizona would be the enormous community following in Tucson, where local fans wish they could get their hands on those student seats.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

midnightx wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote: It’s the current situation that concerns me more. If Miller’s struggling on the recruiting trail, that bodes poorly for his long term prospects at AZ. Recruiting has been his saving grace for a while now. Take that away and what’s left? We go from a program kept afloat by clusters of pro-level players (Trier, Lauri, Ayton, Nnaji) to a program struggling to fill out a roster with grad transfers and second/third tier preps.
That is when the Miller era ends. Unless Miller snags Zaire and Walton at the 11th hour, it looks like next year could be his last year.
Landing Ziaire and Walton far from guarantees saving his job regardless. Neither one nor the combo of the 2 is a savior for next year's team. Walton is a long term piece and Ziaire is a Josh Green/Nico level one and done.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Wanted to see what Miller had to recruit while at Xavier. Interesting.

2004 - 1
2005 - 1
2006 - 0
2007 - 1
2008 - 5
2009 - 1

It's got to be easier to coach kids when they stick around.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Choo, let’s see your best guess at our 2020-21 roster, given where things stand today (3/28).
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azgreg wrote:Wanted to see what Miller had to recruit while at Xavier. Interesting.

2004 - 1
2005 - 1
2006 - 0
2007 - 1
2008 - 5
2009 - 1

It's got to be easier to coach kids when they stick around.
SO much easier.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Choo, let’s see your best guess at our 2020-21 roster, given where things stand today (3/28).
I have no good reads any more. Ziaire's recruitment is a wildcard, Walton's family was waiting on the NCAA sanctions, but that's on indefinite hold so who knows the route they take. Miller's relationship with Walton's coach and the success that Zeke had will help ultimately though. The transfer situation is a LOL a minute. Arizona will fill holes, but they may have to settle for Ryan Luther/Justin Coleman type hole fillers. This isn't a fun situation.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

ChooChooCat wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Landing Ziaire and Walton far from guarantees saving his job regardless. Neither one nor the combo of the 2 is a savior for next year's team. Walton is a long term piece and Ziaire is a Josh Green/Nico level one and done.
Oh, I agree. I was just referring to the added depth of players, one a OAD prospect, that might help the team get to 20 wins (and probably a first round exit in the tournament). The question the fan-base needs to ask, is this the kind of program you want? It has transitioned into mediocrity.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Yes you are correct, we are transitioning to mediocrity.

We need to get past the NCAA sanctions as quickly as possible. The UA could have dealt proactively with this issue 2 years ago, but chose not to. As a result the NCAA/FBI scandal will continue to damage us until we get past it. When that happens is anyones guess.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dmjcat wrote:Yes you are correct, we are transitioning to mediocrity.

We need to get past the NCAA sanctions as quickly as possible. The UA could have dealt proactively with this issue 2 years ago, but chose not to. As a result the NCAA/FBI scandal will continue to damage us until we get past it. When that happens is anyones guess.
Lol this goes so far beyond NCAA sanctions. To your credit we lost a chance at a handful of recruits after Kansas's sanctions came out publicly, but they're not struggling recruiting, neither is Louisville, and oh look USC just landed another guy we wanted.

This issue is so beyond NCAA sanctions, it's now a cultural issue, which is 10000000x worse.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Lol this goes so far beyond NCAA sanctions. To your credit we lost a chance at a handful of recruits after Kansas's sanctions came out publicly, but they're not struggling recruiting, neither is Louisville, and oh look USC just landed another guy we wanted.

This issue is so beyond NCAA sanctions, it's now a cultural issue, which is 10000000x worse.
And these glaringly obvious problems are somehow lost on our boosters and others who actually decide if Miller stays or goes? I know it’s complicated and that the business side of firing a coach with a huge buy-out is difficult, but ffs, it just seems clear what needs to happen. There needs to be an amicable separation sooner than later. It sounds like there’s zero chance Miller will be fired this year, which is a tough pill, but it sure as hell had better happen in ‘21, then.

We can’t stay mired in mediocrity for as long as UCLA has. Think we should expect more.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Really hoping the boosters see the light sooner than later. Whenever we play basketball next, doesn't sound like it's going to turn out great for us.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

He's either going to get a contract extension by the end of next season or he will be let go by the end of it. There are no other options on the table. The football coach situation along with new financial strains coming from this COVID-19 situation makes this infinitely more complicated than anybody would like.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Not disagreeing with you, but the cultural issues you reference could have been dealt with at the same time 2 years ago. We are witnessing a death by a thousand cuts. I had hoped we would at least get the NCAA charges out on the table by now, with the UA answering the charges by summer. With the Corona Scourge going on I'm sure the NCAA investigators are hunkered down in their homes.....not out conducting an investigation. This entire mess could easily bleed into 2021 before we get any clarity....damaging yet another recruiting class (to say nothing of what the NCAA sanctions may be).
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

ChooChooCat wrote:So many posts that are TLDNR with a toddler hanging over my back. All I'll say is roster continuity > OADs and bandaids. Players with zero interest in sticking it out for the long haul are bandaids at best.
I'm entering the discussion late but we're losing freshman contributors...again? Some combo of Nico, Nnaji, and Green? Really disheartening this seems like the yearly, crippling roster turnover now. What gives this year. None of those three are NBA ready.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:
"Baby, what attracted you to me at first sight?"

"Just your kind of skanky vibe as a quick job in the alley and then I'd never have to see you again. Anyway, bye!"
Dave

Post by Dave »

Why didn't Miller sign at least a few more HS prospects in the Fall? He knew he was going to have alot of open scholarships.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Dave wrote:Why didn't Miller sign at least a few more HS prospects in the Fall? He knew he was going to have alot of open scholarships.
You recruit who you can land.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:So many posts that are TLDNR with a toddler hanging over my back. All I'll say is roster continuity > OADs and bandaids. Players with zero interest in sticking it out for the long haul are bandaids at best.
I'm entering the discussion late but we're losing freshman contributors...again? Some combo of Nico, Nnaji, and Green? Really disheartening this seems like the yearly, crippling roster turnover now. What gives this year. None of those three are NBA ready.
All 3 are gone and that was always the plan.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Really need some good news in this thread.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Is this 100% related to the investigation?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Dave wrote:Is this 100% related to the investigation?
It's part of it, but certainly not the biggest issue.

Also a grad transfer we wanted just chose Xavier over us.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

ChooChooCat wrote:Also a grad transfer we wanted just chose Xavier over us.
That must make Miller feel all warm and fuzzy.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Legit question: seeing as how it's getting harder and harder to imagine Miller remaining coach beyond next year, what kind of coach do you think could get us back to recruiting well in a short period of time? Would we be best off with a younger up-and-comer, a guy who can talk the same language as today's preps and their families? Or should we be looking for someone who's already made a name for himself, who commands respect when he enters a room?
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Scheer is making it seem like he wasn’t a definite take for us...man I’m losing hope reading this thread. Gotta be some decent international kids were going after I would think? I wouldn’t mind Juzang at all.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Legit question: seeing as how it's getting harder and harder to imagine Miller remaining coach beyond next year, what kind of coach do you think could get us back to recruiting well in a short period of time? Would we be best off with a younger up-and-comer, a guy who can talk the same language as today's preps and their families? Or should we be looking for someone who's already made a name for himself, who commands respect when he enters a room?
Any new head coach typically has immediate recruiting momentum at a new job. I wouldn't be concerned honestly.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Scheer is making it seem like he wasn’t a definite take for us...man I’m losing hope reading this thread. Gotta be some decent international kids were going after I would think? I wouldn’t mind Juzang at all.
Scheer would know better than me.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

You'll be waiting for awhile for an answer to this question since I have asked it repeatedly. Choo's answer that new coaches have recruiting momentum is true only if they have been previously recognized as very good coaches.
First we don't want grad transfers and then we lament not getting them. We think OAD are definitely not the answer then think we are failing if the one we want does not sign. Culture is now the issue yet if you look at the 21 thead it is why prospects are interested. Welcome to Bear Down Wildcats..... :roll:
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TheCat wrote:Choo's answer that new coaches have recruiting momentum is true only if they have been previously recognized as very good coaches.
Not necessarily. Here's Andy Enfield's first class at USC and I dare you to look at the class before it: https://247sports.com/college/usc/Seaso ... l/Commits/" target="_blank. Andy Enfield wasn't recognized as much before SC hired him needless to say.

As long as it's a coach with a pulse and an upside of any kind they will recruit pretty well their first class and more often than not are up and running from the 2nd class on. Of course it's up to the coach to have his team perform on the court to continue such recruiting long term, but short term burst is always there the first few years. If you already have a well known brand like Arizona you just need to properly sell a vision and sell getting it back to the glory days, etc., etc. It's not that hard. I'm confident Arizona can hire an as you say it "good coach."
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Outside of Johnny Juzang, I'd keep an eye on this guy as a grad transfer with two more years of elibility, as a primary target.