The 2020-2021 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

midnightx

Re: The 2020-2021 Season Thread

Post by midnightx »

azgreg wrote:I think next years team, if there is a next years team will prove to be not as talented but more coachable then this years team.
I think a number of fans thought the same thing with the post-Ayton roster, which ended up producing mostly underwhelming and disastrous results. Who knows what happens, but it is not going to a be a particularly deep or experienced roster. As a fan, it isn't exactly something to look forward to. And frankly, who has confidence in Miller at this point that he can take a less talented roster and get them to play their hearts out?
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

azgreg wrote:I think next years team, if there is a next years team will prove to be not as talented but more coachable then this years team.
I don't think this team, especially the freshmen, were uncoachable. I think they are all really good kids, and hard workers...especially for the OAD stereotype. There were just too many of them learning about this level on the court in key roles. Zeke thrived. Nico seemed physically worn down/hurt at times...we saw a different Nico before that Baylor week, before his injury. Josh showed everything he has, but the shooting was likely hampered by the shoulder (had the same surgery at almost the same time and it still hurts to sleep on that side, and I don't do anything but play some baseball, and yeah...my throw is not the same even now), and it wasn't his strength to begin with. But those three were thrown into leadership roles on the court and with mixed results. We looked like a team with talented freshmen...we would play well, then lose the plot, then play good enough to almost win, and so on. By the end of the year, losing Hazzard and, essentially losing Jeter to further aches and a loss of focus, we were depending on a 4th freshman for some pretty important minutes...and he proved to be flawed but impactful, and coachable.

We were just too damn unbalanced. Too dependent on Freshmen. It was still light years better than where we were the year before. But this team really could have used BWill.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

BigSkyCatinMT wrote:Expected returning starters;

None.

Expected returning reserves;

Koloko,
Baker,
Lee.

Did not play last year;

B Williams (status unsure)
Brown.

New to program.

Terry,
Mathurin,
Akinjo.

Rest of roster;

9. Open
10. Open
11. Open
12. Open
13. Open.

Odd, not being on any early top 25 lists.
Yikes! That's not even a top 25 team in the Pac-12.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

It looks bleak now. We'll see what Miller can do with the last 5 spots. With most of the top 100 gone, gonna be a challenge.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

BigSkyCatinMT wrote:
It looks bleak now. We'll see what Miller can do with the last 5 spots. With most of the top 100 gone, gonna be a challenge.
Anyone willing to bet money we'll even have a season next year?

Barring something unexpected, my campus is anticipating being closed at least through Fall '20.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

enfuego wrote:
BigSkyCatinMT wrote:Expected returning starters;

None.

Expected returning reserves;

Koloko,
Baker,
Lee.

Did not play last year;

B Williams (status unsure)
Brown.

New to program.

Terry,
Mathurin,
Akinjo.

Rest of roster;

9. Open
10. Open
11. Open
12. Open
13. Open.

Odd, not being on any early top 25 lists.
Dumb shit, stupid take, insipid opinion, yadda yadda, etc
You should probably take this opportunity to social distance yourself away from our community.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote:
BigSkyCatinMT wrote:

Barring something unexpected, my campus is anticipating being closed at least through Fall '20.
Cal Poly SLO, my employer, plans to continue the requirement that new students come to campus for summer orientation programs starting July 2020. Thousands of students will be on campus doing group activities.

pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Merkin wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
BigSkyCatinMT wrote:

Cal Poly SLO, my employer, plans to continue the requirement that new students come to campus for summer orientation programs starting July 2020. Thousands of students will be on campus doing group activities.

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions!" - My father
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
97cats

Post by 97cats »

well my family cant live in good intentions, Marge! oh, your families out of control, but we cant blame you, because you have goooooood intentions!
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Beachcat97 wrote:
BigSkyCatinMT wrote:

My guess is college sports don't happen, can't risk having unpaid labor out there getting sick/getting sick care. Plus I doubt colleges themselves will be opened.

Pro sports will try but will ultimately not be completed. All it takes is one positive test and derails the whole thing.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Well if we still don't have testing, we won't know who is sick. If we actually have widespread testing in place, then you can easily still have pro and college sports playing, albeit most likely without fans in the stands. Just test all the players weekly for covid and quarantine any that ever test positive.

Every issue we're facing with this virus medically and economically and socially can be solved by simply testing everyone.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Justin Gainey is leaving to be the new associate head coach at Marquette.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:Justin Gainey is leaving to be the new associate head coach at Marquette.
How had he been as a recruiter? I don't specifically remember him landing anyone? Any replacements in mind? Why has Cohen from Stanford not left yet?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Justin Gainey is leaving to be the new associate head coach at Marquette.
How had he been as a recruiter? I don't specifically remember him landing anyone? Any replacements in mind? Why has Cohen from Stanford not left yet?
He was very big in rebuilding the Compton Magic relationship. Cohen is not going to come join a sinking ship at Arizona.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
He was very big in rebuilding the Compton Magic relationship. Cohen is not going to come join a sinking ship at Arizona.
I guess that makes sense, although I don't think Stanford is in a great position moving forward either. Haase/Stanford's ship has been at the bottom of the ocean for awhile now haha
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
I guess that makes sense, although I don't think Stanford is in a great position moving forward either. Haase/Stanford's ship has been at the bottom of the ocean for awhile now haha
Well he wouldn't leave one sinking ship for another especially when he wouldn't be getting a promotion.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
Well he wouldn't leave one sinking ship for another especially when he wouldn't be getting a promotion.
Makes sense. This feels like an important hire for Miller's job security. Honestly might be smart to go after someone with a strong relationship with Ziaire to try to lock down his commitment. Miller can't be playing for the future here, and I'm sure he knows that.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

By the time this hire is made Ziaire will have long made his commitment. Whoever gets hired will have zero impact on 2020 recruiting.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:By the time this hire is made Ziaire will have long made his commitment. Whoever gets hired will have zero impact on 2020 recruiting.
Welp that's just great then.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:By the time this hire is made Ziaire will have long made his commitment. Whoever gets hired will have zero impact on 2020 recruiting.
Whenever I think all this global pandemic news has me doing just a little too much dancing on the sunny side of the street I like to check out a few ChooChoo posts to bring me down again.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
Whenever I think all this global pandemic news has me doing just a little too much dancing on the sunny side of the street I like to check out a few ChooChoo posts to bring me down again.
Sorry my man.

If it makes you feel better the guys we're likely to land didn't have Gainey as their primary recruiter.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
Sorry my man.

If it makes you feel better the guys we're likely to land didn't have Gainey as their primary recruiter.
haha I agree Chi, we definitely need something positive in our lives. Choo - any guys in particular that you think we potentially land?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
Sorry my man.

haha I agree Chi, we definitely need something positive in our lives. Choo - any guys in particular that you think we potentially land?
I think we land Walton, an international guy, and a transfer wing. Any thing else I don't have a good enough read on like Ziaire.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I think we land Walton, an international guy, and a transfer wing. Any thing else I don't have a good enough read on like Ziaire.
Makes sense...I'll be very interested to see how good the international and transfer wing guys will be. If it's, for example, Kerri Kriisa and Trey Murphy III, I would be cautiously optimistic about next year. But not holding my breath on them being that high-quality of adds.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Makes sense...I'll be very interested to see how good the international and transfer wing guys will be. If it's, for example, Kerri Kriisa and Trey Murphy III, I would be cautiously optimistic about next year. But not holding my breath on them being that high-quality of adds.
Gainey was the lead on Murphy, so I wouldn't count on that.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

ASUHATER! wrote:Well if we still don't have testing, we won't know who is sick. If we actually have widespread testing in place, then you can easily still have pro and college sports playing, albeit most likely without fans in the stands. Just test all the players weekly for covid and quarantine any that ever test positive.

Every issue we're facing with this virus medically and economically and socially can be solved by simply testing everyone.
or we don’t test anyone and don’t worry about it.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Interesting...I would like Alan Griffin if we can swing that but not super hopeful. Juzang feels somewhat similar to Baker in his lack of success at UK and may be a low ceiling player but I guess I wouldn't hate him either.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Interesting...I would like Alan Griffin if we can swing that but not super hopeful. Juzang feels somewhat similar to Baker in his lack of success at UK and may be a low ceiling player but I guess I wouldn't hate him either.
Juzang is infinitely a better prospect than Baker.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Juzang is infinitely a better prospect than Baker.[/quote]

Ok good...just worried he's got the same slow feet issues defensively, and isn't much of a creator. Feels like a shooting specialist to me, but I'm glad you like him a lot more.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

How are we doing with Ivan Rabb? Thought we were leading for him.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
BigSkyCatinMT wrote:

My guess is college sports don't happen, can't risk having unpaid labor out there getting sick/getting sick care. Plus I doubt colleges themselves will be opened.

Pro sports will try but will ultimately not be completed. All it takes is one positive test and derails the whole thing.
Yep. I cant even begin to start caring about basketball news until I know we will actually have a season. At this point I dont see it happening.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Beachcat97 wrote:How are we doing with Ivan Rabb? Thought we were leading for him.
Seems like it's also past time for 97Cats to update us on Ray Bolger's status.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Dosia wrote: Yep. I cant even begin to start caring about basketball news until I know we will actually have a season. At this point I dont see it happening.
Same here. With schools not starting until Fall 2020 at the earliest, with no summer coaching or pickup games, the Red Blue game is going to go on in September?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:
Dosia wrote: Yep. I cant even begin to start caring about basketball news until I know we will actually have a season. At this point I dont see it happening.
Same here. With schools not starting until Fall 2020 at the earliest, with no summer coaching or pickup games, the Red Blue game is going to go on in September?
Schools? Red Blue game? We’ll be lucky to be chasing neighbors’ house pets with a sharpened broomstick in the fall.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

catgrad97 wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:How are we doing with Ivan Rabb? Thought we were leading for him.
Seems like it's also past time for 97Cats to update us on Ray Bolger's status.
I hear he isn’t too intelligent
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Merkin wrote:
Been thinking about this. Curious your thoughts Merkin. Will schools open in the fall?

Had a conversation with a University administrator yesterday who likened (via a doctor advising the university) dorm rooms to land based cruise ships. He said, how can we bring kids back to campus under that scenario. If there are no students on campus how can you have football this summer/fall. Basketball not far behind chronologically.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

If there’s no season next year then it leads to the thought: has Sean already coached his last game for us?
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

SCCats wrote:If there’s no season next year then it leads to the thought: has Sean already coached his last game for us?
I am starting to think that could be a real possibility. If we are thinking it.... so is CSM and the rest of the coaching community.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

baycat93 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Been thinking about this. Curious your thoughts Merkin. Will schools open in the fall?

Had a conversation with a University administrator yesterday who likened (via a doctor advising the university) dorm rooms to land based cruise ships. He said, how can we bring kids back to campus under that scenario. If there are no students on campus how can you have football this summer/fall. Basketball not far behind chronologically.
I have no insights, just an employee, but I would expect them too if a quick accurate test becomes readily available.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

In addition to the test for COVID-19, we also need the antibody test so we know who is already immune.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
97cats

Post by 97cats »

oh ya, what have they ever done for you? when was the last time Barbara Streisand ever cleaned out your garage? and when its time to do the dishes, where's Raaay Bolger? i'll tell ya, Ray Bolger is looking out for Ray Bolger!!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

In the early 1990s I actually got a massage from Natalie Merchant wearing a one-piece swimsuit with hairy armpits and I’m just going to leave that right here even though it isn’t true.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Chicat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
Yes I'm sure the assistants we are looking at don't have any relationships with any players :roll: Mr Doom is at it again. At one time he said he was through and was leaving. :lol: :arrow:
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

baycat93 wrote:
Merkin wrote:

I think there is likely to be a vaccine in the next year but there is no guarantee. AIDS, Ebola and other virus's don't have a vaccine but have developed pretty effective treatments.

You are going to hear some pretty startling statements about a major company in Seattle returning to work next week. Startling with the progress they have made and the stay at home order just signed by the governor. They have the weekend to change their mind.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

UAEebs86 wrote:In addition to the test for COVID-19, we also need the antibody test so we know who is already immune.
Oh, this administration will get right on it. /s
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TheCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
Yes I'm sure the assistants we are looking at don't have any relationships with any players :roll: Mr Doom is at it again. At one time he said he was through and was leaving. :lol: :arrow:
I meant that the hire would impact 2021 players and not 2020.

FWIW you and your tiny hard on for me can go screw yourself.

FWIW to every body else you're really going to like the new hire (as long as it happens). I may want to walk back in regards to the original timeline of the hire though. Probably gonna happen quicker than I originally thought.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Longhorned wrote:In the early 1990s I actually got a massage from Natalie Merchant wearing a one-piece swimsuit with hairy armpits and I’m just going to leave that right here even though it isn’t true.
I’d wear a one piece swimsuit, too, for a massage from 1990s Natalie. Not gonna stop waxing my pits, though. That’s just a bridge too far.

On a more serious note, plans are in place for distance learning to continue into the fall. So I wouldn’t expect football and basketball.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Hey Choo, are you hearing anything more on Nico’s decision. I know he is expected to leave but it sounds like maybe the family is taking a hard look at it?

Oh and thx for that news on the asst. We need any kind of good news these days
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:Hey Choo, are you hearing anything more on Nico’s decision. I know he is expected to leave but it sounds like maybe the family is taking a hard look at it?

Oh and thx for that news on the asst. We need any kind of good news these days
He's gone brother.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

OK thx. Akinjo show now. Hoping for some good news in this asst
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion