Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: The 2020-2021 Season Thread

Post by Beachcat97 »

Jeff Withey?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

I love JET, but I would prefer Brandon Roy and his HS connections and experience over JET. I would however be happy with either.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gronk4heisman wrote:I love JET, but I would prefer Brandon Roy and his HS connections and experience over JET. I would however be happy with either.
Yeah, but Jet literally has the same HS connections.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

Sidiki Johnson to get an East Coast presence.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:I love JET, but I would prefer Brandon Roy and his HS connections and experience over JET. I would however be happy with either.
So Choo, can you neither confirm nor deny that the Jet is returning to Tucson :)
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
So Choo, can you neither confirm nor deny that the Jet is returning to Tucson :)

Seems he has!

Amazing that these multi-millionaires want to put in 60-70 hour hard work weeks with the grind of recruiting and NCAA rules, or you can put in an easy 20 hour work week like Bill Walton and Richard Jefferson and be announcers.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I'll say this, Sean Miller has made additions to his coaching staff for different reasons. Some times he's chosen guys because he know he can trust them (Phelps, Peters, Gainey, Whitford) and some because he thinks they can help him in one way or another. He didn't know Pasternack, but he thought he could help him in an area of need (bay area). He knew Murphy a bit from playing NAU, but primarily he knew he could help him in an area of need (getting back in the good graces with the Lute era guys). Sean Miller needs help now in an area he didn't need before and that's getting back in the good graces with Arizona fans.

You guys have already put two and two together via our recent commitment and recent recruit offer that the guy we're hiring likely has some Seattle connections. So based on the guys that you could think of that has said Seattle connections, who would be the guy to get Sean Miller back in the good graces with Arizona fans?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

ChooChooCat wrote:I'll say this, Sean Miller has made additions to his coaching staff for different reasons. Some times he's chosen guys because he know he can trust them (Phelps, Peters, Gainey, Whitford) and some because he thinks they can help him in one way or another. He didn't know Pasternack, but he thought he could help him in an area of need (bay area). He knew Murphy a bit from playing NAU, but primarily he knew he could help him in an area of need (getting back in the good graces with the Lute era guys). Sean Miller needs help now in an area he didn't need before and that's getting back in the good graces with Arizona fans.

You guys have already put two and two together via our recent commitment and recent recruit offer that the guy we're hiring likely has some Seattle connections. So based on the guys that you could think of that has said Seattle connections, who would be the guy to get Sean Miller back in the good graces with Arizona fans?
Robert Luther Fucking Olson! Thanks Choo!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:I'll say this, Sean Miller has made additions to his coaching staff for different reasons. Some times he's chosen guys because he know he can trust them (Phelps, Peters, Gainey, Whitford) and some because he thinks they can help him in one way or another. He didn't know Pasternack, but he thought he could help him in an area of need (bay area). He knew Murphy a bit from playing NAU, but primarily he knew he could help him in an area of need (getting back in the good graces with the Lute era guys). Sean Miller needs help now in an area he didn't need before and that's getting back in the good graces with Arizona fans.

Soooo, not Nate Robinson?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:

Soooo, not Nate Robinson?
Could be Marcus Williams.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Jet would be awesome, but it seemed like he was pretty critical of Miller in the past. I’m assuming they worked everything out if hes the guy.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Only one man I know.

Last edited by Merkin on Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

DO NOT tell me Frank Kaminski has retired ...........
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Let's just say I'm inebriated. Who's Jet?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote:Let's just say I'm inebriated. Who's Jet?

Jason Terry
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Thanks
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Worth $40,000,000 per https://www.celebritynetworth.com/riche ... net-worth/" target="_blank.

Bet he doesn't have no frickin' sharks in a swimming pool like Gil.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Good luck with that, Nico. You were a pretty forgettable college player.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So what hurdles are there to hiring JT? He seems pretty entrenched in Dallas and he had the issue with the NCAA that he took care of. Why wouldn’t it happen?
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Choo you’re info is always on point and I really appreciate it! Thanks for all you share with the board!
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Well JET seems to like our newest transfer.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If we're actually adding JET as an asst coach, this is the best news the program has had in a while.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Beachcat97 wrote:If we're actually adding JET as an asst coach, this is the best news the program has had in a while.

Home Run!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:Well JET seems to like our newest transfer.
He should, it's his godson.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Did not know that.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Wow, kind of surprised no media member has picked up on that. Great Info Choo. Makes sense since he never tripped to Tucson
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Choo, is there a timeline for when this hire could become official, or is everything on hold at the moment? I'm guessing it's the former since recruiting is still happening right now.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Any chance he chooses other opportunities or has CSM closed this deal?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Choo, is there a timeline for when this hire could become official, or is everything on hold at the moment? I'm guessing it's the former since recruiting is still happening right now.
There's now a hiring freeze due to COVID, so it won't be official for months. I can't imagine a world where you won't know before it becomes official though.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

FWIW Brandon Roy liked this tweet.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:FWIW Brandon Roy liked this tweet.
Any chance CSM is covering his bets and talking to both? or is this a focused recruitment.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Looks like both Roy and JeT have college degrees, so both qualify. Props to Terry too for coming back and finishing in 2015.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Wait a second, is it JT or Roy? Man, now I am confused, which is easy to do
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

azcat49 wrote:Wait a second, is it JT or Roy? Man, now I am confused, which is easy to do

Based off what Choo has said and hearing from a second source, it’s JET and the deals been done for awhile now. Once Stan Johnson left Marquette for LMU, Gainey knew he had the inside track for that associate HC job. Miller got to work before Gainey became “official” and here we are.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:

It's done already.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

So what your saying we may have a new basketball coach who knows how to play, made a career of coming off the bench (6th man) and loved it, then made a career in the NBA? If true, maybe he can teach or at least rub a little of that energy off onto these new players coming in. Too bad he wasn't there for Hazard last year. May have changed the results a bit. Or at least attitude.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote:
baycat93 wrote:

It's done already.
Has he been seen at Rincon Market?

But fantastic news!
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Really is amazing news. Not sure I have been this excited about AZ basketball in a long time. From a marketing perspective, CSM is playing 3D chess here. Hope it comes together as planned.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So can he function as a recruiter right now? Can he call kids and talk to them as an AZ assistant
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
baycat93 wrote:

It's done already.
Has he been seen at Rincon Market?

But fantastic news!
Rincon Market closed last week when they got a small business loan due to stimulus.

But I don't know what anybody here is talking about because it sounds like you're saying Jason Terry got hired as an assistant coach at Arizona, but that can't be true because good things don't happen anymore and we're supposed to be happy to not be sick and find dry beans in the grocery store while trying to breathe through a napkin.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Just that odd rule being a state institution JeT has to apply for it when it opens, along with everyone else who wants to apply, and go through the interview process.

Even Sumlin and RichRod had to apply when the job was open, although I imagine they had some intern fill out the application.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:Just that odd rule being a state institution JeT has to apply for it when it opens, along with everyone else who wants to apply, and go through the interview process.

Even Sumlin and RichRod had to apply when the job was open, although I imagine they had some intern fill out the application.
That's how I was hired at the U of A. They offered me the position first, and then they had to post the job ad publicly and I had to apply along with anyone else who would want to waste their own time. What was funny was that I didn't have the required qualifications they posted, so I had to tell them to change the requirements on the job posting before I applied and they gave it to me officially.

Nobody will apply for the job they'll give him.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote:
But I don't know what anybody here is talking about because it sounds like you're saying Jason Terry got hired as an assistant coach at Arizona, but that can't be true because good things don't happen anymore and we're supposed to be happy to not be sick and find dry beans in the grocery store while trying to breathe through a napkin.
Count your blessings. In Japan millions of people are forced to breathe through stale Sushi.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Hiring JET won't change my opinion on Miller, and if we don't win more games I don't think it'll win casual fans back for long.

That being said, I'll still be very happy to have him back. :)
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Early poll:

Which program will JET have more success in recruiting for:
Miller or Barnes?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I think JET will absolutely have a significant positive impact on Miller's program. He is an NCAA champion, NBA champion and a very respected hoops figure. He's also got a terrific personality. This is sort of a dream lead recruiter for us because he understands the expectations and legacy of the AZ program, and he'll do a fantastic job of explaining this to recruits and their families. He'll be an outstanding rep for the AZ brand and program. He always has been.

And if things continue to go south with Miller over the next year, well, we could do a lot worse than Terry as our next coach.

I'm not sure what kind of actual coaching skills Terry brings to the table, though. I can let others chime in on this.
eoe

Post by eoe »

Beachcat97 wrote: And if things continue to go south with Miller over the next year, well, we could do a lot worse than Terry as our next coach.
And we could do much better. Former-player turned coach with zero collegiate coaching experience..yikes!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

eoe wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote: And if things continue to go south with Miller over the next year, well, we could do a lot worse than Terry as our next coach.
And we could do much better. Former-player turned coach with zero collegiate coaching experience..yikes!
Especially a rich one who really doesn't need to work all that hard, although neither does Miller.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

eoe wrote:
It's working out okay for Juwan Howard at Michigan. Jury still out on Penny Hardaway and Patrick Ewing.

I'm actually not sure just how much better we can do than Terry, but I know Choo and others disagree with me.