The 2020-2021 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gronk4heisman

Re: The 2020-2021 Season Thread

Post by gronk4heisman »

Beachcat97 wrote:
eoe wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote: And if things continue to go south with Miller over the next year, well, we could do a lot worse than Terry as our next coach.
And we could do much better. Former-player turned coach with zero collegiate coaching experience..yikes!
It's working out okay for Juwan Howard at Michigan. Jury still out on Penny Hardaway and Patrick Ewing.

I'm actually not sure just how much better we can do than Terry, but I know Choo and others disagree with me.
Juwan Howard has been the coach for one year and finished 9th in the conference, and he also had six years experience coaching in the NBA. Jason Terry has only coach High School Girls AAU basketball as far as I am aware.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

97cats wrote:well my family cant live in good intentions, Marge! oh, your families out of control, but we cant blame you, because you have goooooood intentions!

Underrated scene. I lol everytime.

“And as for you, i don’t you but I’m sure you’re a jerk.”
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

PennZona20 wrote:
97cats wrote:well my family cant live in good intentions, Marge! oh, your families out of control, but we cant blame you, because you have goooooood intentions!

Underrated scene. I lol everytime.

“And as for you, i don’t you but I’m sure you’re a jerk.”
"Oh looook! It's little PennZona20! BearDownWildcats' answer to a question NO ONE ASKED!"
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gronk4heisman wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
eoe wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote: And if things continue to go south with Miller over the next year, well, we could do a lot worse than Terry as our next coach.
And we could do much better. Former-player turned coach with zero collegiate coaching experience..yikes!
It's working out okay for Juwan Howard at Michigan. Jury still out on Penny Hardaway and Patrick Ewing.

I'm actually not sure just how much better we can do than Terry, but I know Choo and others disagree with me.
Juwan Howard has been the coach for one year and finished 9th in the conference, and he also had six years experience coaching in the NBA. Jason Terry has only coach High School Girls AAU basketball as far as I am aware.
Juwan Howard became a NBA assistant the day he retired from playing, Damon Stoudamire was the same story. So your take is a long tenured NBA player is more than qualified to be an NBA assistant, but they're not good enough to be a college assistant? You're really going to stick with that? If we were hiring a guy with a similar resume to be the head coach you'd more than have a point. We'd be hiring the guy to not even be the associate head coach. I mean come on.

On a side note in what world could Arizona, in its current situation, do better?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:
eoe wrote:
Especially a rich one who really doesn't need to work all that hard, although neither does Miller.
You keep bringing this up as if it's ever an issue. Any rich guy who doesn't want to put in the effort to be a coach wouldn't. It's such a non-issue.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin is bringing up this issue because he’s smart enough to stop trying if he suddenly gets loaded. If Merkin becomes a multi-millionaire, he’s going to cordon a tall fence of grilled rib-eye steaks around him, and he’s going to eat his way out.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

ChooChooCat wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
eoe wrote:

Juwan Howard became a NBA assistant the day he retired from playing, Damon Stoudamire was the same story. So your take is a long tenured NBA player is more than qualified to be an NBA assistant, but they're not good enough to be a college assistant? You're really going to stick with that? If we were hiring a guy with a similar resume to be the head coach you'd more than have a point. We'd be hiring the guy to not even be the associate head coach. I mean come on.

On a side note in what world could Arizona, in its current situation, do better?
That is nowhere near my take, so I assume you must be talking about some other comment. Assistant coach and head coach are different things, I never said or even implied JET was not qualified to be an assistant. I was responding to the comments about JET taking over for Sean Miller. My only point was JET is nowhere near ready to be our next head coach, and Juwan who has coached for 6+ years now and struggled in his first year as the head is not a good example of a similar situation working out. And yes, that is my take and I am going to stick with that. I assume since all the discussion you quoted was in reference to him being the head coach, you are good with him in that role?
Last edited by gronk4heisman on Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Merkin wrote:
eoe wrote:
Especially a rich one who really doesn't need to work all that hard, although neither does Miller.
You keep bringing this up as if it's ever an issue. Any rich guy who doesn't want to put in the effort to be a coach wouldn't. It's such a non-issue.
Exactly. It didn't stop Damon Stoudamire or Luke Walton. They started off as assistants, and in the case of Damon, he spent time at the college level in that role. Some guys want to coach.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

My bad Gronk4heisman, I literally thought you meant JT was unqualified as an assistant. I have zero beef with your take then my man. I should probably read all the quotes next time lol
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Despite logic and all evidence to the contrary, I still believe Steve Kerr is our next coach.
ralmom22

Post by ralmom22 »

Longhorned wrote:Despite logic and all evidence to the contrary, I still believe Steve Kerr is our next coach.
That would be my dream come true!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Longhorned wrote:Despite logic and all evidence to the contrary, I still believe Steve Kerr is our next coach.
I wonder if he would even entertain the idea.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I mean, if with Lute’s dying breath he made Kerr promise to take over..... maybe.

Otherwise, I just don’t see it. And I’m really not sure he’d be a successful college coach anyway.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Beachcat97 wrote:
The answer is no. But it’s my belief that, in spite of his lack of interest in dealing with recruiting and NCAA rules, he knows he has nothing to achieve in the NBA that he hasn’t already achieved, and he loves Arizona, and this his chance to uphold Lute’s legacy. All of which will make him change his mind, because I can believe whatever I want to.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I’m surprised Heeke would approve this based on JT’s NCAA violation.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I don’t think Heeke gets a say.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote:Merkin is bringing up this issue because he’s smart enough to stop trying if he suddenly gets loaded. If Merkin becomes a multi-millionaire, he’s going to cordon a tall fence of grilled rib-eye steaks around him, and he’s going to eat his way out.
I'm gonna do that in 3 weeks even without any money but a decent state retirement.

But exactly, why work hard when you don't have to? How little time does Miller spend with his family? His wife's twitter account was called "basketballwidow" or something like that. Does Miller even have any hobbies outside of work?

When John Madden was fired by the Raiders, and went to work in the broadcast booth, someone asked him if he would accept another coaching position. He said no way. Just too much work and pressure. No doubt he was offered many other jobs, since the NFL loves retreads.

Maybe I am just fat and lazy like Madden and Miller and Terry have this great need to work hard.

But like the old saying goes, no one on their deathbed goes "I wish I would have worked harder and spent less time with my family".

Until the Coronavirus anyway.

Side note, my office is in the building where the football offices used to be when John Madden was coach at Cal Poly since they are close to the stadium. We see former players come back now and then and walk through them, but never Madden. I imagine he has probably driven through campus many times though, since it's just off the 101 between LA and the Bay Area and he doesn't fly.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Juzang just committed to UCLA...not losing sleep over this one.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Longhorned wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
The answer is no. But it’s my belief that, in spite of his lack of interest in dealing with recruiting and NCAA rules, he knows he has nothing to achieve in the NBA that he hasn’t already achieved, and he loves Arizona, and this his chance to uphold Lute’s legacy. All of which will make him change his mind, because I can believe whatever I want to.
I'll say: before Kerr took the job with GS, he had zero coaching experience (unless I'm forgetting something), which means he isn't always outspoken about directions he'd like to take with his career. This doesn't mean he'd now pivot and want to coach college. Just shows that he's unpredictable.

We do know that his UofA love runs deep and that he'd probably be able to recruit at a Caliparian level.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

goslingswagg wrote:Juzang just committed to UCLA...not losing sleep over this one.
Meh...by the time he's eligible, we'll be several years into the Steve Kerr era.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Longhorned wrote:
i have thought for some time Kerr would never entertain the idea, for hundreds of reasons - now i cant stop thinking why he would entertain the idea, for hundreds of reasons
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

If it ever happened Steve Kerr wouldn't spend one second recruiting off campus.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

ChooChooCat wrote:If it ever happened Steve Kerr wouldn't spend one second recruiting off campus.
would he have to? so much would happen naturally, and hes a california guy...he still would visit.
Last edited by 97cats on Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

This is the best speculative guesstimating I have ever heard.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Sincerely thank you guys, I need this today.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

CalStateTempe wrote:This is the best speculative guesstimating I have ever heard.
its all from nothing actually, but i can see reasons why now, or a year from now, more than ever
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
I'll say: before Kerr took the job with GS, he had zero coaching experience (unless I'm forgetting something), which means he isn't always outspoken about directions he'd like to take with his career. This doesn't mean he'd now pivot and want to coach college. Just shows that he's unpredictable.

We do know that his UofA love runs deep and that he'd probably be able to recruit at a Caliparian level.
Do NBA coaches actually coach? I recall Larry Brown, the only coach to win both the NBA crown and NCAA championship, saying that the main difference in coaching college v. NBA is that in college the players actually listen to you.

Look at Luke Walton trying to coach LeBron James.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

97cats wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:This is the best speculative guesstimating I have ever heard.
its all from nothing actually, but i can see reasons why now, or a year from now, more than ever
Totally understand; the thanks still stands.

Even if a lark, it’s fun to talk and speculate about stuff like this especially with everything else going on in the world.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

In seriousness, if we can hand pick Miller's successor, is there someone you'd take ahead of Steve freaking Kerr? I know there are people we can name like Billy Donovan and Brad Stevens and a host of other proven college coaches, but no one would be a better ambassador for the AZ program and brand than Kerr.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:If it ever happened Steve Kerr wouldn't spend one second recruiting off campus.
would he have to? so much would happen naturally, and hes a california guy...he still would visit.
Absolutely not. He'd just need to hire good soldier assistants.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

The K model with his rep of success at GSW.

Freaking love it: it writes itself.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Imagine Iggy and Kerr recruiting for AZ. Holy moly.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ChooChooCat wrote:
97cats wrote:
Absolutely not. He'd just need to hire good soldier assistants.
Yep. Every recruit would want to play for an NBA championship coach and championship player. And with his Lute-level charm, all of their mothers would want them to play for him, too. It wouldn't even be fair.
Merkin wrote: Do NBA coaches actually coach? I recall Larry Brown, the only coach to win both the NBA crown and NCAA championship, saying that the main difference in coaching college v. NBA is that in college the players actually listen to you.

Look at Luke Walton trying to coach LeBron James.
NBA head coaches are fucking wizards. And Kerr's coaching truly made the Warriors what they are. Mark Jackson's coaching couldn't take those stars to the level Kerr's innovations did.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

If you want to have some fun you can look at Jerry Palm’s early bracketology for next year.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... cketology/" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

SCCats wrote:If you want to have some fun you can look at Jerry Palm’s early bracketology for next year.

Well, we'll be underdogs for a change next season. Hopefully it lights a fire under our new guys.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Beachcat97 wrote:
SCCats wrote:If you want to have some fun you can look at Jerry Palm’s early bracketology for next year.

Well, we'll be underdogs for a change next season. Hopefully it lights a fire under our new guys.
That’s an extraordinarily generous way of looking at a pre season bracket that doesn’t include us.

But I do think back to those times when some of us said they liked our team “being the underdog.”

Well, they’re going to love next year!
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

SCCats wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

That’s an extraordinarily generous way of looking at a pre season bracket that doesn’t include us.

But I do think back to those times when some of us said they liked our team “being the underdog.”

Even the years we are the underdog always seemed to be justified. When was the last time the Cats overachieved?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Catintheheat wrote:
SCCats wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Even the years we are the underdog always seemed to be justified. When was the last time the Cats overachieved?
It's been a long time.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

He could have Iggy as one of his assistant coaches.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Hey, we're losing all three, but at least their one season at AZ took the team to new heights. By which I mean lower heights.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Who cares? Hey Nico, Josh, and the other guy whose name I already forgot: Don't let it hit your asses on the way out.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Longhorned wrote:Who cares? Hey Nico, Josh, and the other guy whose name I already forgot: Don't let it hit your asses on the way out.
You're right. It's hard to be too upset about losing the core of a 5th place team.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

They can go and make 70-100k a year for awhile before going to Europe. If they're happy with that then I wish them well.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Would be surprised if Ziaire picks us.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Stanford or Arizona?!?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

NickyBCats wrote:Stanford or Arizona?!?
Or USC.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Gershon is saying it's going to be Stanford.