Post by RondaeShimmy »

Mathurin last 3 games:

27.6 ppg -- 7.7 rpg -- 2.3 apg
60.8% FG% -- 47.8% 3P% --71.4% FT% -- 72.6% TS%
+46
Harvey Specter

Re: Bennedict Mathurin

Post by Harvey Specter »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:26 pm He is Sean Elliot reincarnated.
It has been a while since I heard that suggestion made, although probably because most current Cat fans never saw Elliott play (or know much about him).

This is the first time I have not scoffed at the notion; Benn's the closest thing we have had in 33 years. I think Elliott's height advantage and Mathurin's incremental explosiveness offset each other.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

If you want to hear what Ill. coach things of Benn start at the 13:40 mark. https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1MYxNn ... tart%3D300
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

After watching him live, the comparison I’ve decided on is Arenas.

He is That Dude.

Just an automatic bucket every time you need one and totally fearless.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I’m one up’ing that - Sean Elliott
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I see elements of Arenas and Elliott, but Benn is much bigger than Gil and more athletic than Sean. Benn is positioned to have one of the best sophomore seasons in program history. This would’ve been hyperbole a couple weeks ago, but he just hung 30 on Illinois in their gym. Imagine what this kid is going to do to the Pac this year.

In Benn We Trust.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:51 pm After watching him live, the comparison I’ve decided on is Arenas.

He is That Dude.

Just an automatic bucket every time you need one and totally fearless.
its the dead-eye shooting with that laser quick release and the affinity to go left and finish 5-8ft out and being a problem on the offensive glass with that repeated bounce...couple that with a little out of control head scratching play at times in the midst of his own brilliance and its just like Gil..wide ass shoulders too.

the man is a beast
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Big game Benn
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
97cats

Post by 97cats »

TheCat wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:27 pm If you want to hear what Ill. coach things of Benn ....
"they're good, they're really good. ummm, Mathurin is what they look like, Folks. thats, you wanna see a pro? thats what they look like. so, all you wonderful evaluators out there of talent, thats what they look like, ok (pause) ... thats a bad son-of-a-gun and, ahhh - really good player"
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:41 pm I see elements of Arenas and Elliott, but Benn is much bigger than Gil and more athletic than Sean. Benn is positioned to have one of the best sophomore seasons in program history. This would’ve been hyperbole a couple weeks ago, but he just hung 30 on Illinois in their gym. Imagine what this kid is going to do to the Pac this year.

In Benn We Trust.
As I posted earlier, I think he is incrementally more athletic (Mathurin was more explosive, while Elliott was smooth and always effortless)… but not by as much as I think your comments seem to suggest. Unfortunately, there are not YouTube clips of Elliott’s windmill slams and putback dunks (he had 2 against Miller’s Pitt team I will never forget).

As for sophomore wings, BM appears to be on track to be the best we’ve EVER had; as for sophomores overall, not sure Derrick Williams soph season will ever be trumped.

The biggest difference to me, whether comparing to Elliott OR Arenas, is his on-court demeanor. Mathurin has a stoic intensity that I do not remember seeing before; Jerryd Bayless is the only underclassmen name that comes to mind - only Benn’s disposition is a bit more muted. The kid looks like he has a chip on his shoulder, but you almost have to look for it.

Elliott was a bit more of a creator (which may have been a factor of the personnel around him) and had the best mid-range game we’ll ever see, although that might not be the case if we were to have him for all 4 seasons.

Elliott tended to be more timid on the court until his junior year, and I do not see ANY of that in BM; this kid is a fearless assassin. They are equally complete players (score in a variety of ways, board, defend, pass) with nuanced differences to their games.

I’ve wanted to believe I’d see someone I could make that comparison to for the past 3 decades… and I am doubtful I’ll live to see another one.

I am damn sure going to enjoy the rest of this ride.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

97cats wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:39 am
TheCat wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:27 pm If you want to hear what Ill. coach things of Benn ....
"they're good, they're really good. ummm, Mathurin is what they look like, Folks. thats, you wanna see a pro? thats what they look like. so, all you wonderful evaluators out there of talent, thats what they look like, ok (pause) ... thats a bad son-of-a-gun and, ahhh - really good player"
I saw him say that and was loving it. I took it that he thought Mathurin was under-appreciated at #128 in his class, but could have been reading into it.

Another of my favorites: “I think our guys understand now what big-boy basketball looks like, cuz they’re really good”
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Illinois couldn’t have played any better then they did yesterday. As has been said, to withstand 16 three balls, a packed house, travel issues and a 19-0 run and win is incredible. Glad their coach acknowledged it and a tip of the cap to them as well
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
97cats

Post by 97cats »

great stuff!!
Harvey Specter wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:07 am I saw him say that and was loving it. I took it that he thought Mathurin was under-appreciated at #128 in his class, but could have been reading into it.
i took it as a response to a previous or perhaps ongoing inquiry from the local rags about how to identify, evaluate, and develop talent - when obviously pointing out Mathurin as he was by far the best player on the floor as he blatantly sticks out.
Harvey Specter wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:07 am Another of my favorites: “I think our guys understand now what big-boy basketball looks like, cuz they’re really good”
Arizona is a force right now - they have skilled, capable players at all three levels and legitimate All-American candidate on the wing.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Harvey Specter wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:04 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:41 pm I see elements of Arenas and Elliott, but Benn is much bigger than Gil and more athletic than Sean. Benn is positioned to have one of the best sophomore seasons in program history. This would’ve been hyperbole a couple weeks ago, but he just hung 30 on Illinois in their gym. Imagine what this kid is going to do to the Pac this year.

In Benn We Trust.
As I posted earlier, I think he is incrementally more athletic (Mathurin was more explosive, while Elliott was smooth and always effortless)… but not by as much as I think your comments seem to suggest. Unfortunately, there are not YouTube clips of Elliott’s windmill slams and putback dunks (he had 2 against Miller’s Pitt team I will never forget).

As for sophomore wings, BM appears to be on track to be the best we’ve EVER had; as for sophomores overall, not sure Derrick Williams soph season will ever be trumped.

The biggest difference to me, whether comparing to Elliott OR Arenas, is his on-court demeanor. Mathurin has a stoic intensity that I do not remember seeing before; Jerryd Bayless is the only underclassmen name that comes to mind - only Benn’s disposition is a bit more muted. The kid looks like he has a chip on his shoulder, but you almost have to look for it.

Elliott was a bit more of a creator (which may have been a factor of the personnel around him) and had the best mid-range game we’ll ever see, although that might not be the case if we were to have him for all 4 seasons.

Elliott tended to be more timid on the court until his junior year, and I do not see ANY of that in BM; this kid is a fearless assassin. They are equally complete players (score in a variety of ways, board, defend, pass) with nuanced differences to their games.

I’ve wanted to believe I’d see someone I could make that comparison to for the past 3 decades… and I am doubtful I’ll live to see another one.

I am damn sure going to enjoy the rest of this ride.
Excellent post, HS!

You're totally right about Derrick Williams. DW's tourney heroics his sophomore year are legendary and may never be matched.

And BM is indeed the stoic, muted assassin you've described. How lucky we should feel that he came to play for AZ. He won't be in Tucson much longer! Got my tickets for the USC game at Galen and the Cal game in Berkeley. I can't let this season pass without watching this team a few times, especially Benn.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

There's an understandably guarded group psychology here, given the trauma. But it doesn't get any better than this in mid-December. This team has all the markings of a convincing national champion. Barring even more ridiculous travel adversity, it will actually be a surprising disappointment if we don't win these upcoming games in Knoxville and Pauley.

And like Harvey said, you have to compare Benn to sophomore Sean. Otherwise it's an unfair comparison, but Benn right now is the player who wins tourney games for his team like DWill did. The difference, of course, is that DWill's team was a scary but flawed underdog, while this team is the scary favorite who won't go down to a lesser opponent with a scorching, lights-out shooting night. You can't scheme to beat this team, which is why Tennessee and UCLA probably aren't beating them.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Love the way Benn is playing. Reminds me most of Chris Mills.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Benn there. Dunk that.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Hassan Adams may have had the best Sophomore season of any of the former players. If not THE best then certainly one of the very best.

As far as "stoic intensity" Benn reminds me of Khalid Reeves.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

KaibabKat wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:20 pm Hassan Adams may have had the best Sophomore season of any of the former players. If not THE best then certainly one of the very best.
best soph season eva?
KaibabKat wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:20 pm As far as "stoic intensity" Benn reminds me of Khalid Reeves.
he is stoic - ice cold
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

KaibabKat wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:20 pm Hassan Adams may have had the best Sophomore season of any of the former players. If not THE best then certainly one of the very best.

I mean derrick Williams almost carried the team to a final four singlehandedly and made himself a #2 overall pick
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

97cats wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:28 pm
best soph season eva?
In my book - Bob Elliot - 23.3 ppg + 7.7 rpg
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

He looked like Charles Barkley as a soph. Too bad he couldn't improve on that.

Just remember Hassan taking the last shot attempt in a couple of NCAA games which he did about as well as Gabe York did with last shots. Which was never meant to be for Hassan, but Shakur panicked.

Also this image of Hassan from ESPN is forever burned in my memory.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Arizona’s Bennedict Mathurin Looks Like A Surefire Lottery Pick In The 2022 NBA Draft

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zacharycoh ... pN4weOz8jQ
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Player of the Week: Bennedict Mathurin, Arizona Wildcats

One of the best NBA prospects returning to college basketball this season, Mathurin has taken his game up a few notches since 2020-21. As a freshman, he went through long stretches when he wasn't nearly as assertive as he could be, and he also had some typical first-year inconsistency. That's a distant memory at this point, as Mathurin looks like one of the best players in the country through the first month of the 2021-22 season. That was made clear this past week.

Mathurin opened things with 24 points, 10 rebounds and five assists in a 29-point win over previously unbeaten Wyoming. He was 8-for-10 from inside the arc and also made a pair of 3s. But the reason Mathurin wins Player of the Week is what he did on Saturday against Illinois. In a tough road environment in Champaign, he hit five 3s and scored 30 points to help lead Arizona to an impressive road victory over the Fighting Illini. He was terrific in the first half, keeping Arizona within striking distance after the Illini's 19-0 run, and then hit big shots in the second half alongside Kerr Kriisa.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... -moving-up
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

azgreg wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:28 pm
I called Ben out before that game as under achieving so far this year. You are all welcome!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:31 pm

I mean derrick Williams almost carried the team to a final four singlehandedly and made himself a #2 overall pick
Yes. Basically impossible to top DWill's soph season. He should have been national POY and you can't top that.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:14 am

Yes. Basically impossible to top DWill's soph season. He should have been national POY and you can't top that.
And he destroyed Duke! Loved it! Almost makes up for 2001.

97cats

Post by 97cats »

Pac12 POTW

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:12 pm Pac12 POTW

This guy's unreal. Kinda feel like he's just getting started this season, too.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:21 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:14 am

And he destroyed Duke! Loved it! Almost makes up for 2001.

I like to watch that video because when I'm feeling sad it makes me happy.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Look at that man. If he decides against basketball, he could make a living as an anatomical muscle tissues diagram.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Benn was destined to be a pro basketball player. He's got the physical gifts and the competitive fire. Could be one of the better pros to come out of AZ for some time.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:24 pm

He'll have great games as long as I don't pick him in RAP.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I've decided I'm only going to call him Bennedict now... not Benn

He deserves that respect.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Alieberman wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:03 pm I've decided I'm only going to call him Bennedict now... not Benn

He deserves that respect.
welcome to the club
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

97cats

Post by 97cats »

i like that - Mathurin has that 'Greek God' look
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:28 pm Image
It's a flattering comparison in all ways but one.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:56 pm

That's funny, I have not been picking him in rap as to no jinx him, but I picked him against Illinois, so Im pretty confident that it's not me picking him that jinxes his performance. Pfwehw
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:27 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:56 pm

That's funny, I have not been picking him in rap as to no jinx him, but I picked him against Illinois, so Im pretty confident that it's not me picking him that jinxes his performance. Pfwehw
I suck so bad a RAP this season that I'm sure I'm the jinx. You can let it rip.

~ Wilhoit's Law
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Player of the Week: Bennedict Mathurin, Arizona Wildcats

One of the best NBA prospects returning to college basketball this season, Mathurin has taken his game up a few notches since 2020-21. As a freshman, he went through long stretches when he wasn't nearly as assertive as he could be, and he also had some typical first-year inconsistency. That's a distant memory at this point, as Mathurin looks like one of the best players in the country through the first month of the 2021-22 season. That was made clear this past week.

Mathurin opened things with 24 points, 10 rebounds and five assists in a 29-point win over previously unbeaten Wyoming. He was 8-for-10 from inside the arc and also made a pair of 3s. But the reason Mathurin wins Player of the Week is what he did on Saturday against Illinois. In a tough road environment in Champaign, he hit five 3s and scored 30 points to help lead Arizona to an impressive road victory over the Fighting Illini. He was terrific in the first half, keeping Arizona within striking distance after the Illini's 19-0 run, and then hit big shots in the second half alongside Kerr Kriisa.

posting.php?mode=reply&f=8&t=6499&sid=a ... cd#preview
blaw01

Post by blaw01 »

Chris Mills is another that comes to mind. Big smooth shooting wing that finds ways to score at the rim. Both good rebounders too but Benn's athleticism sets him apart. Geez 93 was such a disappointing team. Now I am sorry a brought it up.

Sr Chris Mills
Jr Khalid Reeves
Sr Ed Stokes
So Damon Stoudamire
So Ray Owes
Fr Joseph Blair
Fr Reggie Geary
97cats

Post by 97cats »

the Khalid Reeves disposition comparison to Mathurin is interesting as well, Reeves was a hard ass.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
97cats

Post by 97cats »

32mins - 11pts - 4-8fg - 1-2(3pt) - 2-3ft - 8rbs - 2a - 0blk - 5st - 1to
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Still a green bar in RAP
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

97cats wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:01 pm 32mins - 11pts - 4-8fg - 1-2(3pt) - 2-3ft - 8rbs - 2a - 0blk - 5st - 1to
23.8 Bird Score