Bennedict Mathurin

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

97cats

Bennedict Mathurin

Post by 97cats »

reminds me so much of Gilbert Arenas - his potential and ceiling is so high and his game and natural ability is already eye-catching.

however, it’s his overall improvement and the accelerated rate to which he has continued to improve that is eerily similar. Arenas came out of nowhere and got better as he grew into his body, at a rate twice as fast as everyone else. Mathurin seems to be on that same accelerated improvement path ....he’s young too, doesn’t turn 19 till the summer.

loves to go left and has such a sweet quick stroke, endless athleticism, no conscience

kid has a future
prh

Re: Bennedict Mathurin

Post by prh »

Should we be worried about the duration of the Tucson portion of that future yet?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

no idea - but id never take him out the starting lineup as long as he plays at Arizona from here on out.

just scratching the surface
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Hope that ankle is OK. It looked nasty
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

TheCat

Post by TheCat »

We have two other games this week. Both winnable with Ben. A lot tougher without him.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:16 pm
Especially this year, no need to rush him back into action. Heck, maybe it makes it more likely he stays for a sophomore year.
prh

Post by prh »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:34 am
Especially this year, no need to rush him back into action. Heck, maybe it makes it more likely he stays for a sophomore year.
I hate that I had this thought during the game last night. But really glad it's a sprain and not something far worse. Replay angles were all somewhat cut off and thought it looked worse than a sprain
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

prh wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:38 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:34 am
I hate that I had this thought during the game last night. But really glad it's a sprain and not something far worse. Replay angles were all somewhat cut off and thought it looked worse than a sprain
I don't wish ill on Mathurin. He looks fantastic and deserves the best. I certainly don't want him hurt.

It's just commentary on the reality, IMO, after hebdoes get hurt. Things like ankles make it more likely someone is back for a year 2, and Mathurin has been so good, we all wonder about whether he'll be back.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

We don't know what class of sprain it is yet for Mathurin. High ankle, and he's likely out for a few weeks. Thing about high ankle sprains, until they are 100%, the chance of re-spraining it and doing more damage is too high to take the risk and play someone. If it's just a run-of-the-mill sprain, Mathurin could be back this week.

As for Mathurin's future, I think he should come back. I haven't seen him in any 1st round mock drafts yet. His stock is certainly rising, but even if he does sneak in the draft in the high 20's, or goes 2nd round, it likely means not a lot of playing time in the NBA next year. But come back, play consistently during a full college schedule, and Mathurin can become a star. Especially if there are no further punishments and Arizona makes a tourney run. Then Mathurin could go as high as the teens in the draft, if not a little higher.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Glad he will be ok.

He reminds me of Russell Westbrook, but doing it in year 1, what Westbrook didn’t show until soph year really.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Interesting player comparisons. It's tough for me to class him bc he has more length than Gil or Russ. Physically, his build and athleticism reminds me a lot of Iggy.

I get the Gil/Russ comparisons because Mathurin has an aggressive scorer's mindset like Iggy never really has. I could see Mathurin winding up comparable to Jaylen Brown or Caris LeVert.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

what a shame he was in what was going to be an amazing stat line last night.

Iggy could not shoot a lick when he was a freshman, not a lick, and he is a way better and more gifted defender at the same age.

Mathurin put up points in bunches.

he is a few inches taller than Arenas but the body movement, ease of motion, dribbling off his foot, week-side defensive rebounding, the shots not touching the rim. It’s eerily similar.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:59 am what a shame he was in what was going to be an amazing stat line last night.

Iggy could not shoot a lick when he was a freshman, not a lick, and he is a way better and more gifted defender at the same age.

Mathurin put up points in bunches.

he is a few inches taller than Arenas but the body movement, ease of motion, dribbling off his foot, week-side defensive rebounding, the shots not touching the rim. It’s eerily similar.
I don't disagree his game is different from Iggy's, that's very correct. He just has that sort of physical ability.

If he turned into Arenas +4 inches, we would all be very, very happy. He has a ton of potential.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

97cats wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:31 pm reminds me so much of Gilbert Arenas - his potential and ceiling is so high and his game and natural ability is already eye-catching.

however, it’s his overall improvement and the accelerated rate to which he has continued to improve that is eerily similar. Arenas came out of nowhere and got better as he grew into his body, at a rate twice as fast as everyone else. Mathurin seems to be on that same accelerated improvement path ....he’s young too, doesn’t turn 19 till the summer.

loves to go left and has such a sweet quick stroke, endless athleticism, no conscience

kid has a future
His rapid development is stunning. He just continues to improve every time he steps on the floor. Hell, the fact he is basically a knock down spot up shooter this early is extremely impressive. We can talk about his physical attributes and what he can do on the floor, but his accelerated development is this most impressive aspect to me.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

He's gone from a questionable shooter to a knockdown guy in a few weeks. It's very impressive.

You always worry it's a mirage, but he's been very good at the ft line, which usually correlates pretty well to a developing stroke.

He also is a great rebounder for his position on both offense and defense. For a guy who's also super active and aggressive on offense, he has a pretty damn good TO% for a freshman too. Just a lot to like across the board.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... -candidate

Yes, ESPN link. But, amazingly, John Gasaway's pick for freshman most likely to become a national POY after 4 years...

"Anyway, I'm going with Bennedict Mathurin at Arizona. Nobody's paying attention to the Wildcats this season because UA's on (what for lack of a better term is) a self-imposed pause on postseason eligibility. But for those watching, Mathurin has shown some signs of a player who could become a Garza-esque problem someday soon. The freshman is making his shots and he even went off for 31 points on the road against Oregon State. On second thought, maybe he won't stick around for four years after all, but if he does Mathurin is my Garza in waiting."

If Mathurin stays 4 years, I will break the happiness scale.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

If he continues to improve, I can't see him staying four years. Probably two if he does not get hurt.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Irish27 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:35 pm If he continues to improve, I can't see him staying four years. Probably two if he does not get hurt.
I'd be happy if we get him for 2. With his tools and improvement...I'd put more $ on him being OAD than on him being a 4 year guy.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

I get the Gilbert comparison to a degree, but to me (and some of you old timers may have a conniption due to his NCAA career) he is a dead ringer for the NBA version of Byron Scott (his college days were before my time)
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Doesnt have the shot creation ability to be Gilbert, but hes exactly the type of guy everyone has been pounding the table for, same with Terry.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Yeah we’re not getting the kid for more than 2 years. We’re lucky if we get him for that long.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:03 am Yeah we’re not getting the kid for more than 2 years. We’re lucky if we get him for that long.
I hope we keep this whole team for one more year. If we keep Benn, AT, Kerr, Akinjo, Baker, Koloko, JBrown, and add the incoming class, I’m SUPER EXCITED for next year.

If we lose a player then I can deal..but if that player is Benn...my expectations go way down.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Shhhhh.......
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

I just don't see a plausible reason Mathurin should come back next year. What benefit would come of it? Playing under the iron fist of Miller will only serve to limit his potential and he runs the risk of getting injured chasing 7th place in the Pac 12. Get paid for your talent instead of returning to program that's likely to be placed on probation. Just no future by staying at Arizona if you ask me. Furthermore, I don't see a group of returning players eventually putting together a Final Four caliber product. The talent may be good enough to win a weak conference but that's as far as it will go IMHO.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Captain Obvious wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:37 pm I just don't see a plausible reason Mathurin should come back next year. What benefit would come of it? Playing under the iron fist of Miller will only serve to limit his potential and he runs the risk of getting injured chasing 7th place in the Pac 12. Get paid for your talent instead of returning to program that's likely to be placed on probation. Just no future by staying at Arizona if you ask me. Furthermore, I don't see a group of returning players eventually putting together a Final Four caliber product. The talent may be good enough to win a weak conference but that's as far as it will go IMHO.
Yeah, another year under Miller would limit the growth of a guy who's grown exponentionally under Miller this year.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:41 pm
Captain Obvious wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:37 pm I just don't see a plausible reason Mathurin should come back next year. What benefit would come of it? Playing under the iron fist of Miller will only serve to limit his potential and he runs the risk of getting injured chasing 7th place in the Pac 12. Get paid for your talent instead of returning to program that's likely to be placed on probation. Just no future by staying at Arizona if you ask me. Furthermore, I don't see a group of returning players eventually putting together a Final Four caliber product. The talent may be good enough to win a weak conference but that's as far as it will go IMHO.
Yeah, another year under Miller would limit the growth of a guy who's grown exponentionally under Miller this year.
Stop using logic with known trolls..hahaha
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

So we thinking he’s gone after this year is a possibility?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Except no one that does the picking has him as a first round pick but other then that he's perfect. Capt. idiot is at it again.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NickyBCats wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:49 pm So we thinking he’s gone after this year is a possibility?
It's always possible. No projections I've seen have him in the first round, and it's usually not a great idea to leave if you aren't a first rounder, but it happens.

He's got a great body and has developed really fast, so it's not out of the question he could up his grade.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

All-Pac Pre Season 1st Team
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:37 pm All-Pac Pre Season 1st Team
Just wait til post season
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

I'm always terrified when these threads get bumped in preseason.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Is Benn a two? If I had to choose, I'd say he's a three
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

97cats

Post by 97cats »

25mins - 18pts - 5-10fg - 2-5(3)pt - 6-9ft - 6rbs - 2a - 1st - 0to
97cats

Post by 97cats »

2-13fg - 0-4(3)pt - 4-4ft - 5rbs - 2a - 0st - 1to - 8pts

of note - the starters outside Mathurin were 19-32 from the floor (59.3%) for a combined 49 of Arizona's 81pts

*i did not watch the game
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Mama said there would be days like this.

Not worried, but against good competition, we are going to need much more
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

40 Minute Bird Scores for Mathurin thus far this season:

19 Red Blue game
32 Eastern New Mexico
5 Northern Arizona

Any comments 97?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

KaibabKat wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:19 pm 40 Minute Bird Scores for Mathurin thus far this season:

19 Red Blue game
32 Eastern New Mexico
5 Northern Arizona

Any comments 97?
i have not watched any live action yet but obv his shooting was off the other night against NAU and impacted that score - before i draw any conclusions or share opinions i want to watch some live game action.

moving forward if not too much trouble would you please post all the Bird Scores for TEAM so i can chat with you about the group as a whole?

appreciate you doing this and sharing - thank you
97cats

Post by 97cats »

27mins - 13pts - 4-8fg - 2-6(3)pt - 3-4ft - 2rbs - 0a - 0st - 3to
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I’m not worried about points, but I expected a little more from the other stats.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Postmaster wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:20 am I’m not worried about points, but I expected a little more from the other stats.
Echoing Lloyd’s preseason comments on Benn’s need to find ways to impact the game when his shot isn’t falling.
blaw01

Post by blaw01 »

TL's post game comment's about inconsistent effort were interesting. Hopefully it will be motivational and start to click for him and not a sign of what's to come.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I think we’re really fortunate to have some end of bench players who can help us down the line, like Ballo and Bal and Benn.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I just think he's watered down when every Arizona player on the floor can dominate the competition.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

We have no set plays. Totally different system so just taking him longer to figure things out.

But with that talent he will be fine.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

26mins - 15pts - 5-11fg - 3-5(3)pt - 2-2ft - 8rbs - 4a - 1blk - 0st - 1to