Bennedict Mathurin

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Olsondogg

Re: Bennedict Mathurin

Post by Olsondogg »

Can’t believe they are still “reporting” on tbs about this bullshit.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
cerec_cat

Post by cerec_cat »

Totally inadvertent even if contact was made. Wish I could say I haven’t ever accidentally touched someone. Like he would really do this on purpose anyway with or without cameras rolling. Hopefully thus doesn’t get in his head
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

As a woman this feels insulting to all women to make such a big deal about this without even talking to the alleged victim at all.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

AZCatGirl wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:34 pm As a woman this feels insulting to all women to make such a big deal about this without even talking to the alleged victim at all.
The men involved have robbed the victim of her agency because that's what men do. She only matters if it matters to them. If she had been offended they would have forced her testimony.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
97cats

Post by 97cats »

37mins - 15pts - 4-14fg - 2-7(3pt) - 5-8ft - 4rb - 3a - 0st - 0blk - 1to

Sampson made a choice to not let Mathurin beat him. ran him off the ball and trapped with the double early and often. there was space on the floor elsewhere and he made Benn move the ball into those areas and AZ could not convert.

he had his chances into the second half as Lloyd adjusted and got him some clean looks, didnt knock enough down.

37gms - 32.5mpg - 17.7ppg - 45.0%fg - 36.9%3pt - 76.4%ft - 5.6rpg - 2.5apg - 0.3bpg - 1.0spg - 1.8tpg

great season worthy of Second Team All-American - he will get picked in the lottery and be a terrific representative for AZ in the NBA just like so many before him.

im not sure where i rank him all time at AZ as of today, but im pretty sure he lands somewhere below Arenas and above Bayless - legend.

**one last thing to consider with Mathurin heading into the draft - he has yet to turn 20. that happens on June 19 (big positive for him)
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

if posted already, please delete

2022 NBA Mock Draft: Expert Predictions & Analysis
11. Toronto Raptors — Bennedict Mathurin, G/F, Arizona

Mathurin could have left Arizona after his freshman year and been a first-round pick. Instead, he returned for a second year in Tucson. In the process, he has played his way into the lottery range. Mathurin is the prototypical athletic swingman who is oozing with upside. He has great length (6-foot-7) and bounce. Mathurin bothers ball handlers with his long arms and fast-twitch muscles. Listed at 210 pounds, Mathurin also already possesses an NBA-ready body. His size should allow him to not be bullied by opposing wings. As an outside shooter, Mathurin is a potential sniper. He shot 42-percent from three as a freshman (with picture-perfect form).

https://newarena.com/nba/2022-nba-mock- ... EPAGE_US|c
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

HiCat wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:39 am if posted already, please delete

2022 NBA Mock Draft: Expert Predictions & Analysis
11. Toronto Raptors — Bennedict Mathurin, G/F, Arizona

Mathurin could have left Arizona after his freshman year and been a first-round pick. Instead, he returned for a second year in Tucson. In the process, he has played his way into the lottery range. Mathurin is the prototypical athletic swingman who is oozing with upside. He has great length (6-foot-7) and bounce. Mathurin bothers ball handlers with his long arms and fast-twitch muscles. Listed at 210 pounds, Mathurin also already possesses an NBA-ready body. His size should allow him to not be bullied by opposing wings. As an outside shooter, Mathurin is a potential sniper. He shot 42-percent from three as a freshman (with picture-perfect form).

https://newarena.com/nba/2022-nba-mock- ... EPAGE_US|c
Think that mock is pretty old. The projected draft order is wrong, and there are references to players' early season performance.

Benn is more likely to go between 7 and 10, imo.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If he's going pro, why is he getting an AZ driver's license?

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Suns are trading up I hope LOL.
-JB
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Maybe getting a new car with his new NBA money
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

84Cat wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:25 pm Maybe getting a new car with his new NBA money
You're probably right. Still a lot of weeks left in Tucson, I suppose.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Kerr was asking about a written drivers license test on twitter. Maybe Benn drove him there haha
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Maybe because it lasts 45 years.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:41 pm If he's going pro, why is he getting an AZ driver's license?

The draft requires photo ID to enter and they prefer drivers license.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

No, thank you Ben.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Pac 12 title, Pac POY, Pac tourney MVP, All-American...he gave this program a LOT.

Wishing you great success at the next level, Benn.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:33 pm Image
It was time. Hope his next steps are as excellent as his time here.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Go make us proud.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Impossible to pass on those millions. Joe McClean says an NBA player needs to save 40% of his first contract, 50% of his second and 60% of his third contract(I assume after taxes) if they want to be financially set. Always hope these kids get to a third contract
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

My guess is he goes 5th. And in front of Ivey, who looks disinterested a lot and crabby the rest of the time.

Go get em Bennedict!

Hope to see you in the NBA playoffs in a few years.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

I've seen anywhere between 5th and 12th. Guaranteed lottery. No reason to stay. Thanks for being a great Cat, Benn, and good luck in the Association.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Think it’s absolutely possible he goes top 5.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Go forth and conquer young man.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Always root for Arizona players to do well in the NBA but I really hope Benn becomes a star!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Would love to see Benn end up on a team that's already got an AZ player or two. Portland, Denver, Phoenix, Cleveland, Indiana.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Now that the draft order is set (minus remaining playoff teams), Sam Vecenie has updated his mock draft based on team needs.

He’s got Benn going to New Orleans at 8 (the Lakers’ pick) mainly because he thinks they will want to surround Zion with shooters. He sees Benn initially as a three-point threat who will grow into being a slasher.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:19 am Now that the draft order is set (minus remaining playoff teams), Sam Vecenie has updated his mock draft based on team needs.

He’s got Benn going to New Orleans at 8 (the Lakers’ pick) mainly because he thinks they will want to surround Zion with shooters. He sees Benn initially as a three-point threat who will grow into being a slasher.
I just hope he doesn't go to the Knicks. That franchise is a perpetual dumpster fire.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

The Ringer has Ben going 9th to the Spurs (would be a home run for him).

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/mock-draft
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:30 am The Ringer has Ben going 9th to the Spurs (would be a home run for him).

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/mock-draft
Yep. You can see his role on a team in full developmental mode. Murray, Johnson, Walker and Benn would be an intriguing core of young perimeter players.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Nice little story on Benn ft Tibet Gorener lol
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

CBS Sports mock draft

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2022 ... -to-magic/

Ben #7, DT #26, no Koloko
-JB
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

UAEebs86 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:07 pm CBS Sports mock draft

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2022 ... -to-magic/

Ben #7, DT #26, no Koloko
"I'm higher on Agbaji than most simply because I don't understand what's not to like about a 6-5 athlete who is a plus-defender on the wing and excellent 3-point shooter. Once you get past the top-tier prospects in this draft, the Kansas All-American makes as much sense as anybody and would provide Bradley Beal with a new teammate equipped to help from Day One."

Now replace "Agbaji" and "Kansas" with "Larsson" and "Arizona"
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

From today's Athletic (Seth Davis - ugh!) - mainly sourcing scouts
https://theathletic.com/3365902/2022/06 ... ng-report/
Bennedict Mathurin, 6-6 sophomore guard, Arizona. “Not a ton of weaknesses there. Really good shooter. He’s gonna be able to fly off screens and be a really good catch-and-shoot option. He’s going to have to work on his play creation and his ballhandling. He’s not awful with the ball, but he’s not electric. He’s what our game likes, which is a big wing. He’s a streaky guy. He’s great in transition, but I’d be nervous about him in the halfcourt. I’m concerned that emotionally he gets too up and down. The way he shoots it reminds me of Ray Allen.”
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Mathurin is Jason Richardson with D as a an upside floor. If he develops dribble-drive facilitation for himself/others, which he’s flashed, he could have a Bradley Beal like offensive ascension, but with more length and likely better D.

Not sure I’ve ever scene visions of Ray Allen, other than he had some sneaky quick burst athleticism when he needed it.

Allen had top-3 shooting form for aesthetic and fluidity. And was revolutionary as a 3-Point shooter.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

"Not a ton of weaknesses"

Rebounding, defense, dribble drive scoring, weak scorer as a jumpshooter from two (nice from the low corners, poor from the lane). Love our guy but if we're going to be real there are actual weaknesses that should be shored up.

He will look great curling off of screens to his left for the catch and shoot - aka the JJ Reddick special.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Rebounding and Defense aren’t weaknesses. They aren’t strengths, but it’s not an either/or. He’s a solid rebounder for position and should get better with added space of NBA and increased strength. And his defense was a bit here and there, but he was a net positive and flashed some nice defensive skills pretty frequently. Strength will help, familiarity with system and scheme can help there as well.

Mathurin’s primary weakness all centers on his lack of dribble-drive facilitation besides quick dribbling into space to attack lane or pull up for a jumper. If he has to beat defense, it is a chore. Flashed some PnR skills that give me hope. He’s still pretty young.

Jason Richardson is a perfect comparison.

30% 0-3 feet
30% Range
30% 8-16 feet

Even the two-year college stats, metrics, and pro-rated stats, up to and including RPg, APG, and SPG.

Richardson was an athletic finisher who largely operated off spotting up, off a curl for a jumper or cleared space lane attack, or off-ball motion cuts.

That is Mathurin. Maybe not at explosive, but Richardson needed 2 legs to be fully explosive, while Mathurin can sky off a standard gather dribble, not euro dribble.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I'm a Pistons fan and would rather have Benn at #5 than Murray, provided that's the way it shakes out. I'm expecting the first four are Smith, Chet, Banchero and Ivey. Ivey would be my top choice, but if he's gone, gimme Benn.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Ivey has athletic facilitation skills which is arguably the top NBA skill. You bet you can get him a shot or aid in some schematic/fundamental passing improvements.

With dribble-drive skills and athleticism you have 2 huge aspects of modern game.

Benn simply doesn’t have the facilitation right now. But he’s got shooting, athleticism, rim-finishing. For Detroit, it’s a tough call. Cade is dynamic. But is he a 35-40% usage on a playoff team dynamic? Or does he need facilitation help? Or, would he benefit more from dynamic finishers who can shoot/score off facilitation without requiring the ball in the creation process?

I’d take Benn at 5/6 over Ivey, but I also don’t think Ivey will be available at 5/6.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

JMarkJohns wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:05 pm For Detroit, it’s a tough call. Cade is dynamic. But is he a 35-40% usage on a playoff team dynamic? Or does he need facilitation help? Or, would he benefit more from dynamic finishers who can shoot/score off facilitation without requiring the ball in the creation process?

I’d take Benn at 5/6 over Ivey, but I also don’t think Ivey will be available at 5/6.
Cade is not 35-40% usage on a playoff team dynamic. Cade is already an excellent facilitator, and his offense is improving. He can be the Pistons' franchise player for the next decade if things break the right way. I think Ivey or Mathurin would pair beautifully with Cade. They're very different players, but Cade is versatile and adaptable. Ivey can get into the lane better than Mathurin, and he's got a better array of layups. But Mathurin is a higher riser and better in transition. I'd be pretty ecstatic if either ends up in Detroit, but I have a bad feeling we're getting Murray. It's nothing against Murray. Just feel like he's redundant as long as Bey, Bagley and Grant are on the roster. I'd rather take a guard.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

My big disagreement with JMJ is that Mathurin actually showed really nice dribble drive passing and was surprisingly poor at dribble drive finishing.

He had 118 possessions where he drove off the pick. Mathurin shot about 30% on those drives off the pick - 35% on dribble jumpers, 17% on runners, and 33% when taking it to the basket. Collectively those results ranked him in the 42nd percentile - NCAA average, at best.

Benn had 84 possessions where he passed out of the pick and roll after getting the defense to commit - producing an effective FG% of 55% and ranking Benn in the 90th percentile. He was especially proficient in the high pick and roll.

Benn was a sneaky good passer last season - he didn't make a ton of eye popping passes, but he made the right read often and tallied nearly 100 assists on the season.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

YoDeFoe wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:08 pm My big disagreement with JMJ is that Mathurin actually showed really nice dribble drive passing and was surprisingly poor at dribble drive finishing.

He had 118 possessions where he drove off the pick. Mathurin shot about 30% on those drives off the pick - 35% on dribble jumpers, 17% on runners, and 33% when taking it to the basket. Collectively those results ranked him in the 42nd percentile - NCAA average, at best.

Benn had 84 possessions where he passed out of the pick and roll after getting the defense to commit - producing an effective FG% of 55% and ranking Benn in the 90th percentile. He was especially proficient in the high pick and roll.

Benn was a sneaky good passer last season - he didn't make a ton of eye popping passes, but he made the right read often and tallied nearly 100 assists on the season.
Not sure why you think this disagrees with me.

I’ve said his biggest issue is dribble drive scoring, shooting off dribble when not in space, or dribble drive facilitation where he needs to break down a defender.

PnR flashed some upside in these areas, but I never said it was a strength in scoring. And I’ve highlighted Mathurin’s secondary facilitation upside with improved dribble drive skills, hence the Bradley Beal as Best Of comparison.

Even Jason Richardson routinely averaged 3+ APG, largely passing out of swarming doubles.

Anyways. I would say our disagreement was mostly the Rebounding/Defense. I think it translates at a league average level or better. You seemed to disagree.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

JMarkJohns wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:20 pm
YoDeFoe wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:08 pm My big disagreement with JMJ is that Mathurin actually showed really nice dribble drive passing and was surprisingly poor at dribble drive finishing.

Not sure why you think this disagrees with me.

I’ve said his biggest issue is dribble drive scoring, shooting off dribble when not in space, or dribble drive facilitation where he needs to break down a defender.

PnR flashed some upside in these areas, but I never said it was a strength in scoring. And I’ve highlighted Mathurin’s secondary facilitation upside with improved dribble drive skills, hence the Bradley Beal as Best Of comparison.

Even Jason Richardson routinely averaged 3+ APG, largely passing out of swarming doubles.

Anyways. I would say our disagreement was mostly the Rebounding/Defense. I think it translates at a league average level or better. You seemed to disagree.
Mathurin’s primary weakness all centers on his lack of dribble-drive facilitation besides quick dribbling into space to attack lane or pull up for a jumper. If he has to beat defense, it is a chore. Flashed some PnR skills that give me hope. He’s still pretty young.

Maybe we disagree on the definition of facilitation, but he distributed the ball well out of dribble drive opportunities. His primary weakness in my eyes is a lack of scoring out of the pick and roll despite his athleticism and size. He's much more comfortable curling off of a screen on the perimeter, ducking in for cuts or driving off a close out, or scoring in transition. Scoring off someone else's play creation.

For rebounding and defense, I think Benn clearly has the potential to be a plus in both but he's mentally not there. He was a fine rebounder for a college wing (nothing you're going to write down in the scouting report but fine) and far too often he was a damningly poor defender.

His final two plays in uniform for Arizona are spotlight examples of both of my big concerns for him - he failed to create a bucket driving to the rim off the pick (turning it over instead) and then fell asleep on the other end to give up a dagger three.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Facilitation to me is always:

1. Create for self
2. Create for others

Unless a PG, then reversed.

Lots of posts of mine talking up secondary facilitator upside with improved dribble-drive, Iso skills to breakdown a D.

PnR at the NBA level in a switching scheme will be more of a challenge. Less space, less time. So, gotta tighten up that handle for that to translate ideally, to, but the vision/fundamentals of passing/decision-making are there.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

As for Defense, for me, I look at the dynamic upside. For me, I always believe each easier to raise defensive floor than teach defensive ceiling. Mathurin has flashed some quality upside defensively, albeit inconsistently. And, some of his college upside may have come from having Koloko and Ballo bailing him out of burned, meaning some players simply don’t attack Mathurin because of it.

That said, I think Mathurin’s quick burst and size at SG will allow for him to be a better than average defender with repetition within a consistent scheme.

I think with a good system, accountability, it will be easier to make Mathurin a B level defender than other wing prospects in similar range.